Xbox 360 wireless controller on PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 12-03-2007, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, was thinking of doing the above for playing games as im sick of wires trailing everywhere. However, after doing a search of the forums ive noticed people with problems saying it doesnt work if there are other usb devices plugged in, or that it needs to be on a USB PCI card? Is this still the case?

Also, would i need the xbox controller for windows or would a regular one work with the gaming receiver? And is there a 'windows' gaming receiver or is it just one for both the xbox & PC?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 AM

Liked: 10
I haven't had any problems with my wireless gaming receiver. I have it plugged into a usb port off the motherboard. I only have 2 devices plugged in to my usb ports on that machine though.

I believe the pc xbox 360 pad is wired so you don't want that one. You will want a wireless xbox 360 game pad.

Lastly, there is only 1 wireless gaming reciever which is for the pc. The xbox has the wireless capability built in already.
post #3 of 51 Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I use the Xbox 360 wireless game pad on my PC and it works great for latest Tomb Raider games and Resident Evil 4.

You will need to buy the Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows (and have an available USB port) and the wireless game pad.

And as Richard713 stated, the wireless receiver works fine, even on a USB hub with other equipment plugged into it.
post #4 of 51 Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

sounds good then! Ive got quite a few usb things plugged in to both onboard usb & into a PCI USB card, so as long as it all works! Only other thing, ive got a bluetooth 2ghz keyboard & mouse, that wont interfere in anyway will it?
post #5 of 51 Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by j17ypr View Post

sounds good then! Ive got quite a few usb things plugged in to both onboard usb & into a PCI USB card, so as long as it all works! Only other thing, ive got a bluetooth 2ghz keyboard & mouse, that wont interfere in anyway will it?

Nope! I use a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. No interference problems.
post #6 of 51 Old 12-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

I have problems with mine & USB power. I can't have ANY other USB device plugged into my HTPC if I want the xbox wireless receiver for windows to work, even though the USB power consumption is below maximum. I run it in conjunction with a PS2 mouse, and it works flawlessly.

A USB PCI card or externally powered USB hub will fix the problem.
post #7 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 PM

I was one of the people that had issues with this.

I had a bluetooth dongle for mouse and keyboard, usb hard drive and a wireless receiver for 2 wireless ms 360 pads.

I used to get intermittent problems, so I borrowed a pci usb adapter (as they're not all that easy to find nowadays) and plugged the wireless receiver into that and everything was ok.

It could just have been my motherboard or 2 ms wireless pads is just pushing it?

I'd advice using the pads without a pci or powered usb hub just to test and if you get problems like dropouts then consider a pci card or powered usb hub.

BTW - The 360 pads are great, i'd recommend getting a couple with some rechargeable batteries.
post #8 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 PM

I just got me controller, seems to work ok so far. Does anyone have a list of what games support the xbox controller under windows? I know support game pads but I am more looking for native support of the device in what games I can look at buying.

Thanx for the info.
post #9 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 10:27 PM

Afaik, anything that says Game For Windows on the box has support for the pad out of the box, meaning you don't need to config the buttons or whatever, it should be just like a console game.

off the top of my head, tomb raider legend and anniversary, resident evil 4, psychonauts, half life 2+ep1+ep2+portal, outrun 2 and coast to coast, colin mcrae dirt.

I've played lots of games with the 360 pad on the PC, and i've never met a recent title that didn't work.
post #10 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 PM

I bought "The Witcher" thinking because it was "Games for Windows" it would support the 360 controller. It did not. Seems to me they should not have been able to call it a games for Windows title without native gamepad support.
post #11 of 51 Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

just waiting for it to arrive now, ill try it on both onboard usb or on the pci card ive got! Cheers for the help
post #12 of 51 Old 12-07-2007, 08:47 AM

If you use it heavily you may want to consider the recharging dock or getting a rechargeable battery charger, they pay for themselves after a few months.
post #13 of 51 Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM

let me tell you about the wireless usb adaptor for the pc. If you have both an xbox and a pc it turns into a nightmare as if your pc is close to your xbox it will turn on your xbox and the xbox has rights to the controller over the pc.

=1EK= Cornholing you in COD4 and WAW Since 2007.
post #14 of 51 Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogacki View Post

let me tell you about the wireless usb adaptor for the pc. If you have both an xbox and a pc it turns into a nightmare as if your pc is close to your xbox it will turn on your xbox and the xbox has rights to the controller over the pc.

No it doesn't.

Once you sync the controller to either the 360 or the PC it will only connect to that device.

I have two controllers, have one sync'd to my 360 and one to my PC and turning on my PC controller does not turn on my 360.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #15 of 51 Old 12-11-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

On the Games for Windows topic, apparently all it has to support is the wired controller. Maybe they'll require new games to support the wireless as well, but I wonder with The Witcher not supporting it properly. This was discovered because Rainbox Six: Vegas is GfW, and supports the wired controller fine, but not the wireless controller.
post #16 of 51 Old 12-11-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

No it doesn't.

Once you sync the controller to either the 360 or the PC it will only connect to that device.

I have two controllers, have one sync'd to my 360 and one to my PC and turning on my PC controller does not turn on my 360.

This poster is correct.
post #17 of 51 Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 AM

Is there any PC game that supports rumble on the Xbox wireless controller (or the wired one for that matter)? When last I looked, the Microsoft website said the rumble feature would work with certain games, but failed to mention which ones.
post #18 of 51 Old 12-17-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofdbn View Post

Is there any PC game that supports rumble on the Xbox wireless controller (or the wired one for that matter)? When last I looked, the Microsoft website said the rumble feature would work with certain games, but failed to mention which ones.

I just checked Bioshock and Crysis. Both support rumble with the wireless Xbox 360 controller. Game developers' websites would probably be good places to look for this information as I am not aware of a comprehensive and up-to-date list.
post #19 of 51 Old 01-05-2008, 12:13 AM

i wanted to use my (regular) x box 360 wireless controller for my pc,for games or to use as a mouse ,what i did was plug it in my pc usb with the play and charge kit and turned it into a wired regular controller , i think , i read that theres a way of turning the regular control as a windos control without having to buy the windows one it cost alot more, i dont know hot to do it and what drivers to use please some one help me and to make the problem worst i downloaded a driver from the microsoft site and it didnt work and now i cant unistall it from my controller i unistall it and restart the computer and its still there.some one please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #20 of 51 Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The play and charge cable is only for charging, using a wireless 360 controller to control anything on your PC requires one of these.
post #21 of 51 Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

I wanted to revive this thread briefly. Can someone comment on the performance of this wireless controller?

I'm considering using this to game on my 55" LCD TV. My PC will be in another room than my TV (they are right next to each other though). I have a PS3 and therefore am not accustomed to the 360 controller, but if it will let me PC game on my TV and couch, so be it.

Also, I found this list of compatible games. Does it look accurate to you guys.
http://www.giantbomb.com/pc-games-wi...pport/92-2465/

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
post #22 of 51 Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 View Post

I wanted to revive this thread briefly. Can someone comment on the performance of this wireless controller?

I'm considering using this to game on my 55" LCD TV. My PC will be in another room than my TV (they are right next to each other though). I have a PS3 and therefore am not accustomed to the 360 controller, but if it will let me PC game on my TV and couch, so be it.

Also, I found this list of compatible games. Does it look accurate to you guys.
http://www.giantbomb.com/pc-games-wi...pport/92-2465/

I love the 360 controller and use it to play just about everything on my PC as well. If you run into a game that doesn't internally recognize the controller or just sucks for control configuration, xpadder works very well for assigning buttons, and supports everything on the controller IIRC. It looks like it's gone to $10 payware, where it used to be free, but the most recent changelist also has some features I've wished for for awhile (like changing the button assignment based on hold duration).
post #23 of 51 Old 01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
right now i am using the 360 controller for

gears
left 4 dead 2
res evil 5

love it
post #24 of 51 Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
360 controller is just fine. I wouldn't use it for FPS, but for actioners and platformers it's great.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #25 of 51 Old 09-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, with my new build I moved the wireless XBOX 360 controller over and now it doesn't work. I suspect the problem is with the wireless receiver that plugs into the USB on the mobo. The little green light does NOT light up on the receiver. Everything on the actually controller looks fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

post #26 of 51 Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey guys, with my new build I moved the wireless XBOX 360 controller over and now it doesn't work. I suspect the problem is with the wireless receiver that plugs into the USB on the mobo. The little green light does NOT light up on the receiver. Everything on the actually controller looks fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Press the button on the receiver.

post #27 of 51 Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Press the button on the receiver.

I know you are trying to help, but don't you think I tried that? I guess the receiver could have gone bad, but what the heck. That sucks

post #28 of 51 Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I know you are trying to help, but don't you think I tried that? I guess the receiver could have gone bad, but what the heck. That sucks

I don't assume anything. Often it's the most simplest thing that's overlooked.

post #29 of 51 Old 09-22-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 295
do you have any other usb inputs? I have to run mine through my monitor since it's get powered by it and not my mobo. Mine will not work if plugged in to my mobo. Don't know why but....

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #30 of 51 Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

do you have any other usb inputs? I have to run mine through my monitor since it's get powered by it and not my mobo. Mine will not work if plugged in to my mobo. Don't know why but....

That's odd, but definitely worth a shot!! I'll report back.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page