AMD vs Intel processors for laptops... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-12-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to be getting laptops for my little brother and sister for Christmas and I was looking at some of the AMD based products. Which one provides a better product?
My lil sis will be probably using her laptop for spreadsheets (risk management major in college) and MOVIES (she loves watching movies on her pcs).

My lil bro will more than likely be using the laptop for movies and animation (he will be majoring in animation in college).

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Hands down, Intel. From what I've seen you might save 50$ tops on an AMD. While I could be talked into AMD for desktops and had tons of them over the years, no way would I go any other than Intel for a laptop.
-Trouble
post #3 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. What features should I look for in a laptop?
post #4 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RAM! If your getting vista and your trying to keep it economical, make sure AT LEAST 1 gig o Ram, aim for 2 if you can find one reasonable enough. I also go with the dual core Intels. Ram, ram, ram, they always like to low ball ram on a laptop and even for basic needs it just adds to many delays that frustrates, this wont be a game machine.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again HS (You gave me some advice when I was looking for a desk top. I appreciate it).

I know now that RAM is very important. Can you upgrade the RAM yourself in most laptops, or do have to make sure you have enough when you purchase it?

Also what other features should I look for? Wi-fi, Dvd drive, etc? I really don't pay attention to laptop features, so I don't know where the tech is.

PS-what about apple? With the ability to run a windows OS, does that make it more attractive despite its high price? Are Apples competative in terms of power with a comparable windows based PC?
post #6 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO what is funny about ram is in my life RAM is about size and not quality. I can't tell a beans difference between high-clocked stable ram and low-clocked-cheapo-stable ram. If the ram is stable performance wise I can see the differences. Now in terms of how much, too many pre-built systems put 2-barrel carbs on the hemi and it just chokes them to death.

Wifi, DVD burners and the sort are pretty darn standard pieces now. I got my wife a WalMart Acer Espire 5570Z which she loves and it's been hassel free. It has 1 gig and personally I would like to see even another 512 added to it, but she's more then fine with it.

Apple? I don't know why, I'd save the dollars. The only reason why I would go Apple was if I was thinking the reason why I am attacked non-stop by viruses and malware was because it was windows. If she stays in nice places on the internet, I simply don't see any problems. Vista has Windows Defernder built in and it does a nice job for everyday maintainece imo. Apples in my world are for people that just can't keep their pc's clean of bad things and then surrender to Apple in hopes the same doesn't happen there.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually a fan of Apple laptops. I have a Macbook Pro for myself and actually just got the wife a Macbook which she'll get at Christmas. In my case, I got the Pro because it was the best you could get in a great form factor at the time AND it runs Linux, Windows and MacOS. Now I really dislike MacOS but the machine was totally worth it to me. My wife on the other hand loves MacOS so that works out great too. You do pay more for them but I also really like that if I need service, I can bring it right down to the mall and have it fixed. Until recently, I worked in the computer reseller channel so I really could buy anything I want at cost but based on customer experiences, I think I'd either go cheap with a Dell or go upscale with the Apples. You can get smokin' deals on Dells ( I bought my Mother one even) every once in a while and to be honest, they're perfectly acceptable cheap machines. Just look for a machine with a Core2 Duo CPU (speed really isn't that much of an issue, I think the 1.8GHz and 2.0GHz are likely the best cost/performance bargains right now and make sure it either has onboard discreet graphics from NVidia or ATI on the higher end, or has the Intel X3100 video on the lower end. Aim for 2GB of RAM but do be advised that you can easily buy cheap 3rd party memory and install it. Certainly don't by extra memory from Apple, they'll gouge you sensless!
-Trouble

-Trouble
post #8 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you who replied.

My other sis has a Pro, which she loves, but she is a teacher. I was thinking that my other sis and bro may like PC's more because they are a little more tech savvy. Being that they are both students as well, I'm pretty sure they can get student discounts retroactively (I hope).

The core duo 2 is basically a quad processor chip, correct?
post #9 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

^ No, dual core. And it doesn't HAVE to be one to still be a nice laptop, but I'd still keep an eye out for a good deal and favor that.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-14-2007, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm a really big fan of AMD and have been for years, but for laptop use, I'd have to recommend you go with a CENTRINO based intel processor. The centrino is the most efficient processor available meaning it will run faster with less power draw and produce less heat. Definately the most importent qualitites to look for when considering processors for laptop and other mobile powered purposes.

I'd recommend >T5600 Centrino Core Duo
I also agree with others... if the OS installed is Vista, spring for the 2 gigs of RAM now. Vista doesn't run too quickly on 1 gig and laptop manufacturers usually fill both banks to keep costs down, meaning:

They will use two 512 sticks filling both banks rather than using 1 stick of 1024 and leaving you a bank to expand.

If I can suggest a little known about gem.. (little known because as probably Dell's best deal it is marketed as a small business laptop and therefore is often overlooked. Compare with their Inspiron line, sure you wont get a pretty pink case, but you will get a lot more powerful computer for your money) Vostro 1500:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...tab=bundlestab
It's available with a geforce video card that would help your bro with his animation and film mastering.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #11 of 11 Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

What do you guys think about tablet PCs? Gimmicky or are they a practical type of portable PC?
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page