how to force a PC to offer 1360x768 as a resolution? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-08-2008, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ok, i posted a problem i'mn having in the Xbox forums, and one of the guys there said i should ask this here...

basically, i need to force my PC to offer 1360x768 as a resolution, because the Vizio that i'm using for my monitor has a native resolution of 1366x768 and my PC doesn't recognize that unless it's hooked directly up to the monitor. when i use a VGA switcher, it doesn't offer me 1360x768 as a resolution, which leads to the problem below...

this is my problem:

i trying to use a VGA switcher from Monoprice, and for some reason the PC won't recognize the native resolution of the Vizio through the switcher, so it doesn't give me the option to set the screen resolution to 1366x768. the closest it will let me set it to is 1280x768, which causes some type of nasty flicker in the picture when i use the PC. this doesn't happen with the 360, because it will let me set it to 1360x768, and it didn't happen to the PC when i was using VGA without the switcher because the PC recognized the Vizio's native resolution of 1366x768 and let me set the screen resolution to 1366x768...

it just frustrates me because i really liked the 360 when i was using VGA, and especially the fact that it didn't have any overscan, but now i'm going to have to either go the HDMI or component route because i need the VGA input for my PC...

can anyone offer some way to force the PC to offer 1360x768 as an option for resolution when i'm using the VGA switcher, because it will offer me pretty much every resolution except that one...

i've heard about Power Strip to help with this, but i've also heard that i could be quite complex to use, is it hard for a newbie to grasp? also, i saw they have a free download of it to try at download.com, but how long does it last before you have to register it? and is there any way of forcing a resolution without using Power Strip?

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 AM

Liked: 10
I have the same type of monitor and have tried everything. I can never get it anywhere above 1280x768 without looking horrible. I have applied settings manually through Nvidia's control panel and when the resolution does stick (as opposed to the screen going blank), the colors are warped and the screen is an eye strain to look at.

No games have 1366x768 as an option in the graphics menu anyway. 1280x720 or 1280x768 are typical widescreen resolutions, and they are perfectly fine for gaming. I recommend you stick with them. Don't risk damaging your monitor for a tiny improvement in horizontal resolution.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-10-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I play all my games @ 1366x768 even BF2 and 2142. The option to play 1366 or 1360 x768 does show up in games if your graphics card has ever set to that rez. Ditch the switcher, connect the monitor directly to the graphics card and choose the monitors native rez. If the option disappears when you reconnect the switcher then there is your answer.
I've used a 2 comps on 1 monitor switchers before and it reduced the vid quality.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-10-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

How you can add custom resolutions depends on what videocard and operating system you are using.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

Ditch the switcher, connect the monitor directly to the graphics card and choose the monitors native rez. If the option disappears when you reconnect the switcher then there is your answer.

i tried this when i first noticed the problem, and what you described is exactly what happened, the option for 1366x768 resolution that was there before i hooked up the switcher disappeared when the switcher was hooked up...

and one bad thing about the switcher in general is that it wouldn't allow my PC to display 1920x1200 via the VGA cable, but the 360 was able to display 1920x1080 no problem while connected to the switcher via a VGA cable, so your guess is as good as mine there. the highest it would allow the PC resolution to be set at was 1600x1200, even though when you right clicked properties on the desktop it specifically said it was set at 1920x1200, but it wasn't according to the monitor...

as far as the video card and o/s goes, the video card is the OEM one that came with the PC (P4) about 3 years ago or so, and the o/s is XP...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #6 of 6 Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

..the video card is the OEM one that came with the PC (P4) about 3 years ago or so...

All, too bad, you can't do custom resolution with OEM cards.

No, seriously, I can't be sure what options you have until I know what videocard you are using. I can tell you that since you are using XP Powerstrip will likely work, it isn't complicated to use, and you can use if for as long as you like without ever registration it.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page