post #31 of 60 Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM
CFR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 568 View Post

Perhaps you have missed a few quotes above. There was no system noise problem before these new players came along. There was absolutely no need for acoustic sealing before I purchased my HD-DVD and Blueray Players.

Mr 568: You and I are in a small minority. I don't think you will get much sympathy or useful information. I don't like the noise of my projector which has the quietest rating of 19db, and hope some day they will make laser projectors with no fans. But most people claim they cannot hear the fans in projectors rated at 28db! I keep my room dead silent too and can hear the fan in any hd dvd player I have tried, yet many cheap (and fanless) dvd players are silent. If you have an apartment or house with lots of other noise - traffic, refrigerators, heating fans etc - then these fans don't bother you, though clearly no point in spending lots of money on expensive audio equipment or speakers that guarantees no electrical hum or other low level noise when there is no signal. Same is true in most stores - the noise floor is so loud that you can't hear the fans when you audition in the store, but take the same equipment to a quiet house and they are plainly audible. Some videophiles are desperate to get a true "fade to black" when the movie is supposed to be black; I would trade a "fade to almost black" if I could get a "fade to silence" instead of "fade to projector fan noise" when the movie is supposed to be silent. Let me know if you find a silent blu ray player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mr. 568: I agree with you that cooling fan (not opening/closing) noise can be a real issue, and that it can vary from unit to unit, as apparently do people's ears. My JVC RS-1 front projector seems too loud to me; other owners claim it is inaudible. I don't keep my volume at 1, but the movies I watch include dialog, and in the pauses, if the score isn't playing, there is silence. I expect my theater to be silent as well.

Edit: CFR: You made an even better case. So there are at least three of us...

Oh, and the problem with players will vanish soon, since semiconductor scaling will soon push the fan requirements of HD processing down into the fan-less category. Projector lamps are another issue altogether, and it's not clear that either LEDs or laser diodes can actually move the electrical efficiency enough to matter...

To your question of whether there are any silent BD players, I would add what is to me of at least equal performance: are there ANY upcoming (we already know about the current models) BD players that will excel at SD upconverting, equivalent to, say, a Toshiba XA2? We access the BBOL library, and while BD is fantastic, the majority of those 70K titles will be SD for a long time to come.

Kevin
post #33 of 60 Old 02-27-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

It's so good to hear that I am not alone! I've wasted money on a PS3, and I'll probably get an Oppo for playing standard DVDs. My Samsung 1200 is just waaaaay too loud. I have a high end rig, and silence is joy.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #34 of 60 Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

I have yet to hear either of my PS3s (20GB and 40GB), I cant hear my HD-A3, apparently like many of the individuals we all must be deaf...

I say if you can hear the player your volume level is way too low and if you can hear it during silent passages what does it matter? If your that concerned I would think you would have a separate room for components.
post #35 of 60 Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

It's so good to hear that I am not alone! I've wasted money on a PS3, and I'll probably get an Oppo for playing standard DVDs. My Samsung 1200 is just waaaaay too loud. I have a high end rig, and silence is joy.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just a suggestion, which may seem out in right field but some have found that players like the PS3 were loud and just put the PS3 in another room and fed the HDMI cable into the theatre room. Since it uses Bluetooth, using a Bluetooth remore was not an issue.

I know, not ideal but just a suggestion I thought I throw out there.

post #36 of 60 Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.

I went from an Oppo 981HD to a Tosh A30 and I thought the fan was way too distracting during quiet passages in movies/music. I eneded up taking it back for various reasons any way and I now enjoy the dead silence of the Oppo again. I can deal with transport noise during loading/unloading, but I can't deal with the fan noise. Hopefully, the BD50, S350, or S550 won't have the fan noise issue. I know it sounds strange, but fan noise out of audio/visual equipment is a deal breaker for me. I've honed my ears for far too long to just ignore it and "enjoy" the movie and/or music.
post #37 of 60 Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 PM

Mr. 568,

I also found my Samsung 1200 too noisy. I removed the top cover and decoupled the fan from the case by using rubber bushings. This reduced the noise somewhat; but, it is still too loud. My Toshiba A35 is also too loud. I have yet to modify this beast. I suspect that you would need to replace these fans with an ultra quiet fan model, if this is possible in order to achieve an acceptable noise level. The fans on both of these players become operational as soon as the power is engaged so I don't understand how some individuals are unable to perceive these fans running during near silent or silent passages of the presentation.

My BenQ W9000 is quite quiet; however, even with an operational rating of 23dBA (there is no standard for these measurements) it too is noticeable during near silent or silent passages of a movie. I acknowledge that I am sensitive to various frequencies and the corresponding sound pressure levels; but, I guess some people can subconsciously tune these frequencies out and are unaware of the annoying frequencies created by these devices. Silence is golden, especially for someone like me who suffers with tinnitus.

My home theatre room is dead silent with no mechanical or other noise source impacting the backgroung sound pressure level.

Peter
post #38 of 60 Old 02-27-2008, 11:56 PM

insulating foam? it may be ugly, but it would keep it silent... or buy an isocase. You're dealing with a new technology that is far from perfected.

I'll gladly take a barely audible hi def player with picture perfect video and scorching audio over a silent, upconverted dvd player any day of the week.

Not to pick nits here, but, if this is what you find time to complain about, maybe it's not the player that has the problem. Simple solutions should have immediately come to you, or you should have realized that there is a very small trade off to your newfound ability to count every pore on Johnny Depp's nose... not saying that that's a good thing.

And to me, my panny bd30 is dead silent, so you could always audition that one and see if it makes a racket... or just wait for denon and marantz to release.
post #39 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonte View Post

I have yet to hear either of my PS3s (20GB and 40GB), I cant hear my HD-A3, apparently like many of the individuals we all must be deaf...

I too own a PS3 and I seem to be okay with it. My HD-A35 is fairly quiet as well.
post #40 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.

For the PS3 and Sammy 1200, I have to agree, they are audible. Not loud per-se but audible enough to the point of annoying. The Sammy 1400, however, although still very audible, I don't find it annoying.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #41 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
there are more variables like the location of your blu ray player.

some rack furniture actually amplifies the sound. so it's NOT just the player... it is where you have the player located, etc.....
post #42 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.

I am very sensitive to noise too. Yes, you are not alone. I paid particular attention to everything in the room to make sure I keep the noise floor down. The Sanyo Z2000 projector is almost dead quiet but I still turn it off while listening to music since I can hear the iris at times.
I have a 40G PS3 and it is indeed dead quiet. So was the BD30 when I had it.
PS3s hold their value, so you can sell your easily. If you don't care for games and other things the PS3 offers, I would go for the BD30. A firmware update was released recently to fix the LFE issue.
post #43 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm really sick of the noise from these next gen players. I don't understand how anyone can tolerate it. PS3 cannot be recommended as a HT player due to its lout fan. Even my Samsung BDP-1200 makes way too much noise. Does anyone make a player that actually cannot be heard during silent passages from 11ft away?

It's going to take a couple more generation in hardware to get these players to run cool and and "maybe" without fans. HD playback with HDi/BD-J requires processing power. Up-converting on the PS3 will kick-up the fan speed since it's software base.

Noise is relative to the home's environment ambient noises. My HT is in the living room with an open kitchen, my quiet fridge will will kick in and out during a movie which I can hear during very silent scenes. So for me fan noise on my XA2 is very quite unless I put my ear by the XA2 to hear the fan or air flow.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #44 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 10:04 AM

I dont think the denon 2500 I have has a fan in it. If it does I certainly cannot hear it. Has the OP tried a denon 2500 yet? I think the 3800 is just around the corner with more features, maybe that one would work?

Woo Pig Sooie
post #45 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

These are new players that require a lot of computation horsepower. Until they have cpus that can run fast enough with passive cooling, they're going to have fans. I'm sure having to handle Java isn't helping either for keeping them cool. The more work the processor has to do, the more heat generated.

I have both the BD-P1200 and the DMP-BD30K. I sit ~ 12 feet from the BD30 and can't hear it. The P1200 though, when it was in the same place was very noticable. The fan wasn't to bad, it was the discs spinning. I could hear them vibrating in the tray, VERY annoying.

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
post #46 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't hear any fan noise at all from my BD10 or BDP1000 at 8 feet.
post #47 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a $25k home theatre/sound system. I turn off my AC even in the heat of summer to enjoy dead silence. I know of others who do not hear the noise of such players, because they have AC that raises the noise-floor of their listening environment.

LMAO!! try that in 110 degree weather, people wouldn't care about the fan noise as they are sweating

Even in the winter here when the heat is not on I here nothing from my PS3.
post #48 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudotrue View Post

insulating foam? it may be ugly, but it would keep it silent... or buy an isocase. You're dealing with a new technology that is far from perfected.

I'll gladly take a barely audible hi def player with picture perfect video and scorching audio over a silent, upconverted dvd player any day of the week.

Considering that my film library is 95% regular DVD, I'd prefer a noiseless Oppo by far, and only use the hi-def players for hi-def material.

Quote:

Not to pick nits here, but, if this is what you find time to complain about, maybe it's not the player that has the problem. Simple solutions should have immediately come to you, or you should have realized that there is a very small trade off to your newfound ability to count every pore on Johnny Depp's nose... not saying that that's a good thing.

Exactly what do you call simple? Spending $1000k+ on an isobox or putting an HDMI cable and IR repeater into the wall? You call that simple? I can only assume that you have no idea what it means to seek a system and environment where the only thing you can hear is the thing you were meant to hear as intended by the director. We've spent thousands and years in this industry to deliver the purest, noise-free media, only to have that screwed over by delivering it over noisy media players. What sense did that make?
post #49 of 60 Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Again, I'll echo what mostly is said here.... I own a PS3 and a BD30.

My PS3 is quiet as the PS3s get.. which ain't bad. But the BD30 is SILENT. And I sit about 8.5ft from it. And I have good ears.

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #50 of 60 Old 02-29-2008, 08:49 AM

Wow! I cannot believe the offense people are taking about this post.

I have to agree that I have not found a silent player yet. There are getting much quieter and will continue to do so. The original DVD players were noisey also. Bluray takes a lot more processesing power which creates a lot more heat. They will get the heat down and remove fans.
post #51 of 60 Old 02-29-2008, 10:47 AM

I am in agreement to that the new players generate to much noise. PS3 is not acceptable unless it is in an enclosure or another room, otherwise it is a great BR player and I am extreamly happy with it. XA2 is reasonable from a noise level for watching movies as I cannot hear is over my projector. Levels are much higher than any my Elite or Denon DVD players or my ES CD player.
post #52 of 60 Old 02-29-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by spann-man View Post

I am in agreement to that the new players generate to much noise. PS3 is not acceptable unless it is in an enclosure or another room, otherwise it is a great BR player and I am extreamly happy with it. XA2 is reasonable from a noise level for watching movies as I cannot hear is over my projector. Levels are much higher than any my Elite or Denon DVD players or my ES CD player.

What type of PS3 do you have? 40G?
post #53 of 60 Old 03-01-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I returned 2 60 gig PS3s and 1 80 gig PS3 because of fan noise.

I now have a 40 gig and while I'm sure it is making noise I can't hear it at all.

At all.
post #54 of 60 Old 03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

My Sony BDP-S1 is virtually silent. But it is also built like a tank.
post #55 of 60 Old 03-01-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I sometime wonder when people spent that much money on the equipment but they don't spend a single cent in an acoustically sealed cabinet and/or putting their equipment in a separate room.

AMEN!

It floors me when people complain about spending money on players and speakers but fail to even consider acoustic diffusion, absorbing, or bass trapping. Not to even mention acoustically sealing a place for equipment. Those of us in the pro end deal with this daily. Not that tough to deal with.
post #56 of 60 Old 03-02-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwiggins2 View Post

These are new players that require a lot of computation horsepower. Until they have cpus that can run fast enough with passive cooling, they're going to have fans.

And unless that can be done, Blu-Ray is, as far as I am concerned, a failed technology. This issue needed to be considered from the outset. (Nor, before someone jumps to that conclusion, am I saying the HD-DVD crowd handled it either.) The vast majority of households do not have and do not want acoustically sealed "media cabinets".

Quoting the Denon 2500 as an example doesn't count, since it needs a receiver with a fan.
post #57 of 60 Old 03-02-2008, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 327
the vast majority of households have floor noise so high the people living in it can't hear the sound of the fan anyway.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #58 of 60 Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Some people are more sensitive to fan noise and background noise than others. Right now I can hear the fans whirring in my HTPC; they're quiet, but not silent. My PS3 makes a lot of fan noise. I briefly had a Tosh HD-A30 and was very annoyed by its whiny medium pitched fan noise.

Pretty soon (in a year or two?) new cpus and chipsets will be available that will burn less power and run cool enough for a completely passive heatsink solution. We're not there yet.

And I just heard my fridge start humming in the background... quiet, but not silent.

Bazinga!

post #59 of 60 Old 03-02-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

Some people are more sensitive to fan noise and background noise than others. Right now I can hear the fans whirring in my HTPC; they're quiet, but not silent. My PS3 makes a lot of fan noise. I briefly had a Tosh HD-A30 and was very annoyed by its whiny medium pitched fan noise.

Pretty soon (in a year or two?) new cpus and chipsets will be available that will burn less power and run cool enough for a completely passive heatsink solution. We're not there yet.

And I just heard my fridge start humming in the background... quiet, but not silent.

You're right about levels of sensativity.

Have you tried running those fans at 5 volts?

Are you using a 40 GB PS3?

I can hear the fridge too. Fortunately it is intermittant.
post #60 of 60 Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO View Post

You're right about levels of sensativity.

Have you tried running those fans at 5 volts?

Are you using a 40 GB PS3?

I can hear the fridge too. Fortunately it is intermittant.

My HTPC fans are the ones that came with my Antec P182 case; they are the 3 speed 120mm fans; I turned off one of them, and I'm running the other 2 at the lowest speed setting. I have not tried running them at 5v on top of that. I use a Zalman CNPS9500 cpu heatsink/fan, with the fan speed controlled by the motherboard. Power supply is a Thermaltake, and its fan speed is determined by heat, and generally it is very quiet. Video card, sound card, and tv capture card are all passive; no fans. It is not loud, but I can still hear it. I'm sitting maybe 6' from the PC.

My PS3 is one of the original 60GB models.

Bazinga!

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page