$200 Blu-ray players this year expected says Sigma Designs VP of Strategic Marketing - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 166 Old 03-09-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post

The issue isn't whether it was or was not a problem on other formats, the issue is the question of how a tier 4 CE manufacturer might deal with the problem as opposed to tier 1 & 2 companies.

Moot until those $200 players show up as promised by the Sigma Design VP.

Jerry the HT Nut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 166 Old 03-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Good thing that wasn't a problem on the other format

Why do you keep trying to bring "the other format" into this discussion? Can't we discuss just Blu-ray in the Blu-ray forum?

John
post #153 of 166 Old 03-09-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Just to be clear, it was post #2 in this thread by a Blu-Ray owner which started the whole "What HD DVD owners will be willing to pay" derailment of the thread.

And 145 posts later you still can't get over it.
post #154 of 166 Old 03-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

And 145 posts later you still can't get over it.

No, 144 posts later someone claimed that

Quote:

the thread got derailed and noisy.

I was simply pointing out where the derailment began.

post #155 of 166 Old 03-09-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was simply pointing out where the derailment began.

Yes, you are very helpful.

post #156 of 166 Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yDubs View Post

Why do you keep trying to bring "the other format" into this discussion? Can't we discuss just Blu-ray in the Blu-ray forum?

John

Oh, I didn't realize I was the one who brought the other format into this thread on the 6th page. My fault. Since nobody has brought up the other format before my post through 6 pages (including the context of the string of posts I was responding to) I'll apologize and ask that my post be ignored because obviously I lack reading comprehension and the attention span to stay on topic, as my posts clearly do not address the subject matter of this thread.

Oh wait, you said I keep bringing the other format into this discussion. In that case I apologize for repeatedly turning this thread into a comparison between formats. And I especially apologize specifically to you, since you have never made a comparison between the formats in this thread in any of your posts.

Brandon
post #157 of 166 Old 03-11-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/...d.1-236335.php

Quote:

The Blu-ray camp is unimpressed. New Medium's price strategy will fail, said Andy Parsons, chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a trade group, because it relies on a false assumption: Blu-ray technology will always be more expensive.

"When you mass produce blue lasers in large quantities, hardware costs will absolutely come down," Parsons said. "I'm sure we'll eventually be able to charge $90 for a Blu-ray player

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #158 of 166 Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Someone figure out the working definition of "eventually," and then get back to me.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #159 of 166 Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

Someone figure out the working definition of "eventually," and then get back to me.

November 27, 2009 for about 8 hours during the morning sales on Black Friday circa 2009...

...or anytime in December 2010

I intend to have already watched a lot of Blu-ray movies in my home theater by then

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #160 of 166 Old 03-12-2008, 05:30 AM

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...rssnyt&emc=rss

I guess po' folk like me will just have to settle for those open-box buys.

Mike

"It's not about having more money, it's about getting more out of life for the money you have."
post #161 of 166 Old 03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_67 View Post

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...rssnyt&emc=rss

I guess po' folk like me will just have to settle for those open-box buys.

Mike

Yeah, got to love Sony throwing their weight around with the BDA to prevent certain companies from being able to manufacture lower cost Blu players.

Quote:

Mr. Glasgow expressed hope that price levels wouldn't collapse the way they did for DVD players. To protect against this, he said the Blu-ray Association, the group that controls the Blu-ray standard, has not licensed it to any manufacturers in China. (Cheap players from China were a large part of the collapse of the DVD player market.)

Will there be Chinese players? Yes, he said. We don't need to drive that and hand the technology over any time soon, he said.

Of course, while freezing out specific companies this way may be legal in Japan, in the US market there may be charges of unfair trade practices filed against Sony and the BDA for adopting this position.

In any case, it should be interesting to watch.
post #162 of 166 Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hope you guys are having a good week.

Brandon
post #163 of 166 Old 03-13-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 549
According to Pricegrabber.com Blu-Ray prices are still as high as they were last year:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1007057

I stayed out of the HD disk market because, until recently, it was unclear whether HD DVD or BD, would prevail. I had hoped that once Blu-Ray won the war, both Blu-Ray players and disks would start to come down in price. Apparently that's not happening yet. That's why I bought an Apple TV, which can now download streaming HD movies, instead of a Blu-Ray player. I also have an upconverting DVD player, which makes SD disks look eminently satisfactory - and you can't beat the price.

I will no doubt ultimately buy a Blu-Ray player but it certainly looks as if that won't be happening very soon.
post #164 of 166 Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I really love (ok not really) reading threads like this where folks who haven't bought something lay down their requirements for buying, and folks who've already bought something commence making fun of the folks who haven't bought yet . . . calling them cheap, bitter, hypocritical, etc. What's the point of that. If you own it, good for you! I'm glad that the value proposition of paying $xxx for a BD player was "worth it" for you. There exist folks for whom, no matter how much money they have/make, paying $xxx or $xxx/2 isn't a good value proposition. Does that make them cheap? No. Does it make them bitter? No. Does it make them hypocritical? No. It just means they have different standards than those who were willing to pay $xxx. Why is that problematic for anyone?

While I am one of the folks who won't be buying a BD player until it is profile 2.0, I'm not going to sit here and tell someone who has that they "shouldn't have" paid $xxx for a profile 1.1 player. Obviously, for them, it was worth it. By extension, I would also expect that someone who has paid $xxx for a player wouldn't call me "cheap" for not having bought one. What if I just spend my money elsewhere like travel, or watches, or . . . you get the point. People (self included) never cease to amaze me in how much they 'personalize and project' their choices. Human nature I guess.
post #165 of 166 Old 03-14-2008, 08:19 PM

Well, according to another thread in this forum...the price of a profile 1.1 player (DMP-BD30) has skyrocketed to about $750 on Amazon. Looks like the likelihood of a sub-$200 BD player is quickly becoming a fantasy.

Makes the Sony PS3 look more & more like the only "game" in town if you want to go BLU. Things that make you go hmmm...

M_N_P_LY Wanna buy a vowel?

Mike

"It's not about having more money, it's about getting more out of life for the money you have."
post #166 of 166 Old 03-14-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_67 View Post

Well, according to another thread in this forum...the price of a profile 1.1 player (DMP-BD30) has skyrocketed to about $750 on Amazon. Looks like the likelihood of a sub-$200 BD player is quickly becoming a fantasy.

stupid post. Anyone who knows anything about Amazon knows what this means, it's simply out of stock and some NY whorehouse is doing their thing. Amazon is not charging $750.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page