Denon DVD3800BDCI Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
An "open" question here!

Using hdmi directly into the monitor (in this case 150fd pioneer plasma).

Then coax to receiver (denon 3808 in this case) for sound.

Source 3800 denon for argument sake.

Versus 3800 hdmi to receiver - receiver hdmi to monitor.

If this where high end audio the answer would be obvious,

but with this caliber if video gear what are the trade offs - would one loose any PQ going "pass thru" the receiver? The considerations here for me are cabling costs and redundancies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 02:01 PM

Liked: 10
My unit won't allow me to change hdmi rgb to hdmi ybr, and that makes it impossible to change between component and hdmi , the option is greyed out, even if i only have hdmi plugged in, what can i do it is driving me crazy.
post #363 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikarim View Post

i get a great picture with component since i have a analog crt set, i also like dvi on occassion, anyone know how i can switch inputs without unplugging my dvi/hdmi cable everytime. there must be a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If disconnecting the HDMI/DVI cable does the trick for you, there are remotely controllable "switches" you could put in the path to break that cable connection when you want to use Component output.
--Bob

I think you need to PM Bob as he had a suggestion for you earlier on.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #364 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

My unit won't allow me to change hdmi rgb to hdmi ybr

I'm confused by this as well. What is the difference between RGB and YCrBr? Going through manual can't seem to get thorough info on this.
post #365 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

My unit won't allow me to change hdmi rgb to hdmi ybr, and that makes it impossible to change between component and hdmi , the option is greyed out, even if i only have hdmi plugged in, what can i do it is driving me crazy.

It it plugged into a DVI connection?
post #366 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remember that you are using an HDMI/DVI cable so you are limited by the weakest link (in this case DVI). DVI only recognizes the RGB color space and it is not possible to select YCbCr. Only with a pure HDMI/HDMI connection would you have a choice (ie. on source end as well as display end).

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #367 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

As long as we're talking HDMI/DVI, can any of you using this type setup confirm whether BTB is being passed by the player?

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #368 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM

Stopped off at local hi-fi shop to see if by chance they had any in stock. To my surprise they had one left, I guess part of me wanted them to be out so I was not tempted to purchase. Couldn't resist replacing my Samsung BDP1200. Thanks for all the preliminary reviews, they pretty much sealed the deal for getting the 3800.
post #369 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 05:23 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I got mine set up today, and have the same problem. I have a DVI-based vide processor (Lumagen Vision Pro HDP) and display. The Lumagen has the ability to modify the EDID settings so it "broadcasts" to the source device that it can accept YCbCr. Apparently, the 3800 reads past that to the display and sends only RGB. I was able to "force" YCbCr from my Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 Blu-ray player, but apparently the 3800 will not allow this.

Bummer.

Mark
post #370 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary16 View Post

I find my 3800 to look superb at the 0 IRE setting and too light at 7.5 despite using the calibration test discs. Same for my HD DVD and standard DVD players.
Also, I have not found the audio to be bright sounding at all with the 3800. It's equal to or better sounding than other players I have used.

i took your advice and changed from 7.5 to 0 IRE...great improvement (no longer "washed out". thanks
also, i am liking and appreciating the audio more with each listening session.
post #371 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 PM

Using the 3800 via HDMI to Denon receiver with Sony KDS-60XBR2. For me (and i would in no way consider myself a video/audiophile) PQ improved over samsung BDP1200, which I always thought was very good. I also observer improvement with 0 IRE over 7.5

Ever since I bought into blu-ray and HD-DVD (xA2) i have been overly impressed with the SQ. This player seems to take it to even a higher level...SQ is amazing...DTS-HD MA may be worth the price of admission for me. The wife is going to kill me as it's now time to upgrade speakers and move to components.
post #372 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 PM

i also changed the ire from 7.5 to 0 much better
i watched 3 movies so far and have 3 different audio formats
what are the difference?

across the universe dolby truehd multichannel 4
resident evil dolby truehd multichannel 5
spiderman 3 dolby truehd multichannel 8

i'm using analogs
post #373 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transendance View Post

Regrettably I can not justify holding on to my 4 month old 3930 so that will have to go as part of the upgrade, so I will be giving up sacd,dvd-a, seamless layer changes, denon link and of course a back up player! Still all in all hopefully the right move!?

I dunno. Your 3930 is brand new - and one heck of a machine - for all the reasons you cited above. If you need SACD/DVD-A playback capability - seems like you should keep it. And as you say - a Great SD-DVD back-up player w/ seamless layer changes. A shame to have to sell it. What do you think you can get for it? $600. ? $700. tops? Maybe that's not too bad if you bought it for well under MSRP.
post #374 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 08:13 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Did I read here that other users said they could not get the setup menu to appear when in 1080p24? I got it to work for me by using the resolution button on the front of the player. However, it did not work every time for me in my setup. I have to investigate further, but wanted to report I got it to work. I will say, there was all kinds of crazy intereference, though; squiggly lines, flashing, sparkles. Once the movie started, everything was crystal clear.

Mark
post #375 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Anyone confirm that standard dvd's con not be converted to 1080p/24?
post #376 of 6650 Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjofan View Post

ycbcr

for component color the IRE needs to be set at 0 and then of course you need to calibrate your display. 7.5 IRE for RGB output.
post #377 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

while playing with my 3930ci after I purchased the Samsung 5000 and noticed what I expect is a "0" ire preset

are you saying you set your DVD-3930CI IRE = 0? Also, do you set your's for RGB or YCrBr?

Quote:

I can not justify holding on to my 4 month old 3930 so that will have to go as part of the upgrade, so I will be giving up sacd,dvd-a, seamless layer changes, denon link and of course a back up player

I think you're crazy to give up your DVD-3930CI. This is the best player of it's kind. Can't you use both players (DVD-3930CI and DVD-3800BDCI)?

I plan on keeping my DVD-3930CI forever, and use the DVD-3800BDCI for BluRay exclusively. This way I can split the duties between both players. The DVD-3930CI functions as a great dedicated CD player (as well as SACD and DVD-A), also would prefer to use it for watching SD DVD-Movies.
post #378 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Remember that you are using an HDMI/DVI cable so you are limited by the weakest link (in this case DVI). DVI only recognizes the RGB color space and it is not possible to select YCbCr. Only with a pure HDMI/HDMI connection would you have a choice (ie. on source end as well as display end).

All my other denon players , 2920 allowed me to change hdmi output rgb, to ybcr, and i had the same connection hdmi to dvi, i have had two other top of the line denon players, i dont know why only this unit is so sensitive.

I do have a remote hdmi switch and will try blocking the input chain to tv and see it it works, doubt it though
post #379 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 03:58 AM

bob parseau you are a genius. I have a geffen dvi splitter, have two dish receivers, my xa-2 and now my 3800 connected to it. so like you said i used the remote control and set my switcher to the dish receiver

I then turned off my denon player, and restarted, the player doesn't detect a hdmi to dvi connection even though the plug is still attached, and so i am able to switch to component, without disconnecting the hdmi cable, and get component input on my tv; to switch to dvi all i do is on the Mitsubishi remote switch to dvi input and switch the gefffen remote so the 3800 on my switch is active, and presto i have a dvi connection. Thank you it was so simple it should be in the maneul. Back to great picture and sound on my denon
post #380 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 04:24 AM

So what takes precedence as far as speaker settings - the settings in the receiver (in my case Marantz sr8500) or the settings in the 3800bd for things like crossover?? I can set crossover in the Marantz down to 80hz(minimum) but I set it down to 60hz in the 3800bd since my Boston Acoustic speakers will go down to 52Hz. Which one would apply?

Also, I am using the 7.1 analog out and bumped up LFE to +10db on the Marantz reciever. Should I also bump up +10db in the player? Would it be +20db total if I did this or just +10?

I have the Def Tech Supercube II subwoofer. If anybody has any tips to get the best boom out of this box, I'd appreciate it!
post #381 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

I still can't get the 3800 to pass any signal over HDMI through my pre/pro's pass through to my JVC RS2 projector. Going direct works, but then I lose out on hi-ef audio. So, major handshake problem. I sent a PM to DenonJeff but he hasn't been on the board for over a week.

Adz
post #382 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 04:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 85
You might try Lexicon as well...

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #383 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

So what takes precedence as far as speaker settings - the settings in the receiver (in my case Marantz sr8500) or the settings in the 3800bd for things like crossover??

It doesn't look like there is a way to set the speaker configuration to off, if you are using multichannel out via HDMI or analog. You can probably just set all speakers to large and leave them at the default levels and delays, then calibrate using your AVR.

I unfortunately did not get to play with my toy last night. I had a meeting until 9pm then took twice as long to drive home in a near white-out, and my player was still very cold from sitting on the porch by the time I had to turn in for the evening. I may not get a chance tonight, either, as I have to do payroll.

What I understand, now, is that with the player set to "mix audio out" I will not be able to get high definition audio formats at all, even if what is currently being played has no secondary or interactive audio. Is this correct, or does it simply limit the audio output to core, if there is a secondary or interactive signal present at the time? Is typical of all BD players? It's not like button click sounds are a big deal, but it's a shame to have to keep them turned off. OTOH, I don't really care about PIP audio. It's not a feature I typically use, anyway.
post #384 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

So what takes precedence as far as speaker settings - the settings in the receiver (in my case Marantz sr8500) or the settings in the 3800bd for things like crossover?? I can set crossover in the Marantz down to 80hz(minimum) but I set it down to 60hz in the 3800bd since my Boston Acoustic speakers will go down to 52Hz. Which one would apply?

Also, I am using the 7.1 analog out and bumped up LFE to +10db on the Marantz reciever. Should I also bump up +10db in the player? Would it be +20db total if I did this or just +10?

I have the Def Tech Supercube II subwoofer. If anybody has any tips to get the best boom out of this box, I'd appreciate it!

In the audio menu, you can defeat all the 3800's speaker settings (so your receiver can do them without "double duty") by activating the SOURCE DIRECT setting.

Lee
post #385 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaen View Post

what are the difference?

i'm using analogs

Different implementations of dialog normalization perhaps?

Lee
post #386 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

In the audio menu, you can defeat all the 3800's speaker settings (so your receiver can do them without "double duty") by activating the SOURCE DIRECT setting.

Lee

Thanks. Or.. the Marantz too has a Source Direct so wouldn't it make more sense to turn that on since the 3800bd crossover can go down low enought to match my speakers better?? As long as it can be applied only to the analogs, I guess..
post #387 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post

I still can't get the 3800 to pass any signal over HDMI through my pre/pro's pass through to my JVC RS2 projector. Going direct works, but then I lose out on hi-ef audio. So, major handshake problem. I sent a PM to DenonJeff but he hasn't been on the board for over a week.

Same thing...
Going back in the mail......

No more Denon products for me
post #388 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaen View Post

what are the difference?

i'm using analogs

across the universe dolby truehd multichannel 4 = 48kHz/24-bit
resident evil dolby truehd multichannel 5 = 48kHz/20-bit???
spiderman 3 dolby truehd multichannel 8 = 48kHz/16-Bit

All audio info taken from HighDefDigest

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #389 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4i2fly View Post

for component color the IRE needs to be set at 0 and then of course you need to calibrate your display. 7.5 IRE for RGB output.

What about for HDMI output?
post #390 of 6650 Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy View Post

Same thing...
Going back in the mail......

No more Denon products for me

Its unfortunate because going direct does throw the best BR picture I've seen -- very very clean picture.

I'll have to sell mine as a dealer demo (full warranty) if anyone is interested.

Adz
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Dvd 3800bdci Blu Ray Disc Dvd Cd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page