Denon DVD3800BDCI Owner's Thread - Page 222 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6631 of 6654 Old 02-05-2014, 03:26 AM

Location: Calumet, Michigan, in the U.P.'s Keweenaw Peninsula
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No. i've already replaced it with an Oppo 103. I'm hoping to try and sell it (eBay or otherwise) to someone who has some repair knowledge. It was a great player in its day, but it's now almost 6 years old, so it's time for something new.

If I hadn't used the player for several days, the problem wouldn't occur until after about an hour or so of playing a disc. I would disconnect the HDMI cable from the player for a few seconds, and reinsert it; the problem would be gone, and the picture would be perfect. But, the green checkerboard would come back after only a few minutes. I suspect something is heating up and causing it, but it's really not worth fixing, in my opinion.

"I will drag you, kicking and screaming if I have to, into the modern world!" -- Peter the Great
My Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 6654 Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25690 View Post

No. i've already replaced it with an Oppo 103. I'm hoping to try and sell it (eBay or otherwise) to someone who has some repair knowledge. It was a great player in its day, but it's now almost 6 years old, so it's time for something new.

If I hadn't used the player for several days, the problem wouldn't occur until after about an hour or so of playing a disc. I would disconnect the HDMI cable from the player for a few seconds, and reinsert it; the problem would be gone, and the picture would be perfect. But, the green checkerboard would come back after only a few minutes. I suspect something is heating up and causing it, but it's really not worth fixing, in my opinion.

I've got a Mack extended warranty on mine that doesn't expire for another 8 months, so it will only cost me the shipping. It's not in my primary system anymore anyway.
post #6633 of 6654 Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Liked: 10
My 3800bdci has been doing DTS Master Audio 5.1 adn 7.1 for a long time.
However, I just rented the new title "Ender's Game" last night and it froze my player after the promos and after I selected the DTS Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack. I got the DTS "trailer" with the cool graphic and sound and then - nothing - frozen at 21 seconds, no picture, no sound. I have to turn the player off to get anything to move and eject the disc.
At this point I don't know if it;'s the fault of the Blu-Ray disc - which has happened in the past when a particular studio/mastering group tried something new and screws many of us-up! - or if it's the player.
post #6634 of 6654 Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_ears View Post

However, I just rented the new title "Ender's Game" last night and it froze my player after the promos and after I selected the DTS Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack. I got the DTS "trailer" with the cool graphic and sound and then - nothing - frozen at 21 seconds, no picture, no sound. I have to turn the player off to get anything to move and eject the disc.
At this point I don't know if it;'s the fault of the Blu-Ray disc - which has happened in the past when a particular studio/mastering group tried something new and screws many of us-up! - or if it's the player.

Rental copies of Ender's Game are lossy DD 5.1 when obtained from Redbox and Netflix.

Mark
post #6635 of 6654 Old 02-24-2014, 02:33 PM

I'm in Canada, and I'm lucky enough to have ONE place left that rents Blu-Rays. That way I get the real thing - proper full res Audio and Video.

I'll really hate it when the rental places are all gone and I am at the mercy of on-line rental places or satellite/cable services that will down-res the picture and sound...and make me pay more for the privilege of getting screwed by them!

Anyway, I have notified Denon about the problem with this Blu-Ray disc in this player. The piece-of-crap (but newer) Sony player at the video store DID play the Ender's Game Blu-Ray just fine, so it has to be the 3800bdci that's the problem. I haven't had to do a firmware update since 2008 (!) but it looks like I may have-to now.....if it's even possible.
post #6636 of 6654 Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_ears View Post

Same issue here with Ender's Game and with Lock up, Stallone and Awnold prison flick. Both from the same studio and both froze my 3800 at 21 seconds after the cool DTS intro. Both played fine on my PS3, but as I have an older Arcam pre/pro it was in lossy. It's probably a firmware issue but since there is no new FW for the 3800 guess it's days are numbered. We will be trying Thor:Dark world tonight, if it plays fine great, if not time for an Oppo.
BTW, these were both rented from a brick and mortar store as there are still a few around in Canada.
post #6637 of 6654 Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 AM

Htdude14, thanks for posting. At least I know it's not just my player.
No more updates available?! Crap!! I didn't know that, as I haven't needed one since 2008.
Let's hope it's just that one studio that's trying to drive our 3800bdci players in to obsolescence! I bought this flagship (at the time) player because of it's great build quality and features. If these problems keep occurring I'll use it as a transport for my two channel audio system and get an upgraded D/A converter. :-)

....and I'll have to start shopping for a good quality Blu-Ray player that does on-board decoding with 7.1 analogue outputs, just like the 3800bdci has.
I have heard good things about the better Oppo players, but I'm hoping that it's not the typical Chinese-made crap, with lots of features but built with cheap parts an crappy power supplies. I had an Oppo DV-981HD DVD player a few years ago, and although it offered a very good picture, the power supply failed and it required a repair.
post #6638 of 6654 Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

No problem! I was glad to see your post for the same reason.
I have had an Oppo bdp-83SE in the past, very good quality and no issues but I do prefer the 3800. Oppo was faster to load etc but to my eyes and ears the Denon has a slight edge. If forced I would try an Oppo bdp-95, used. Build quality looks solid, great user reviews, terrific DAC's on 7.1 analog out and duel HDMI out, good for those of us with a projector and tv.
We watched the latest Thor last night, DTS-HD-MA 7.1 (like Enders game) But it played flawlessly, so no changes for me, I will keep checking here for updates and post anything I hear/learn.
cheers
post #6639 of 6654 Old 03-10-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

Same issue here with Ender's Game and with Lock up, Stallone and Awnold prison flick. Both from the same studio and both froze my 3800 at 21 seconds after the cool DTS intro. Both played fine on my PS3, but as I have an older Arcam pre/pro it was in lossy. It's probably a firmware issue but since there is no new FW for the 3800 guess it's days are numbered. We will be trying Thor:Dark world tonight, if it plays fine great, if not time for an Oppo.
BTW, these were both rented from a brick and mortar store as there are still a few around in Canada.

Just to chime in here thought I would share my experiences thus far, I own a 2500BTCI little brother to 3800 with the latest current version of Firmware V1.22 and have since purchased the following Blu-Ray releases; Enders Game, Escape Plan and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and all of them lock up my player immediately after the DTS promo is finished at exactly 0:0:21. Interestingly, these 3 newer titles with playback issues thus far on my DVD-2500BTCI are all distributed by eOne Films Canada...

I contacted Denon support and although they are aware of the problem they were not of much help, they attribute the playback issues to the new format in which Blu-Ray discs are encoded "These playback issues arise as a result of new authoring methods used to make the discs. It is not a firmware issue in the player but the fact that the way the discs are made is constantly changing." And old hardware "In the past firmware updates have been released to resolve playback issues resulting from changes in the authoring of discs, but we can't guarantee that we will always be able make the necessary firmware changes to allow our older players to comply with these new authoring methods and highly unlikely that a new firmware will be released for these older players.". Seems to me like older equipment is exempt from any future updates.

The three movies above play with no issues on my Sony BDP-S350 which was released in July 2008 whereas the Denon DVD-2500BTCI was released in January 2008 which leads me to believe that this is a firmware update issue and nothing to do with hardware. This player has been great and played every disc I threw at it with ease until now. Three new release mainstream movie titles with playback issues on $1,000 Blu-ray Transport is unacceptable and borderline ridiculous..........

Perhaps I am in denial and not ready to retire or call my 2500 outdated, is it asking too much for it to simply play a Blu-ray disc as it was designed to do?
post #6640 of 6654 Old 03-16-2014, 06:24 PM

I am the original owner and plan on putting my 3800 up for sale. I have the original box, remote and manual. It's cosmetically and functionally fine.

Any ideas what to list this bad boy for?
post #6641 of 6654 Old 03-19-2014, 05:26 AM

Have been an owner of the 3800BDCI since it can out, I was one of the first to get from my local boutique dealer. Enders Game and Catching Fire both play on my system. They both freeze at the 21sec mark but if I wait long enough a couple of minute both discs will eventually play. I can not however get the discs to play if I try and play the movie with the resume feature after turning my system off then back on. I have to start from the beginning and skip to the chapter I left off at. I do agree that this player has a limited amount of time left before it completely stops playing new releases.
post #6642 of 6654 Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 PM

Dave-T, glad I read your post. I just tried Catching Fire & Escape Plan again in my 2500BTCI and after the DTS sequence 0:21 sec it froze there for 3 minutes 09 seconds and then started to play. I guess I never waited long enough before; after 2 mins. I thought it would never play an gave up but you are correct.

Thanks very much for this information. Unfortunately I already purchased a Sony BDP-5100 just to play these newer titles buy the 2500BTCI, although slow still performs flawlessly for me.

Cheers!
post #6643 of 6654 Old 05-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Good afternoon fellow 3800 owners. I got my 3800 as one of the first and got the replacement laser etc. Been working fine and still does with everything I throw at it. I see on craigs list ebay etc they are only worth maybe $250-300.

Are the new players any better in picture/Audio or is it still able to keep up in that regard? Thoughts on a faster, better player under $2k?

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #6644 of 6654 Old 05-12-2014, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Good afternoon fellow 3800 owners. I got my 3800 as one of the first and got the replacement laser etc. Been working fine and still does with everything I throw at it. I see on craigs list ebay etc they are only worth maybe $250-300.

Are the new players any better in picture/Audio or is it still able to keep up in that regard? Thoughts on a faster, better player under $2k?

I still have the 3800 in a second system, but now use an OPPO BDP-105D in the primary system. It's much faster and also has the Darbee video processing which enhances the picture. It is also sonically superior, as the DACs and their implementation are very good indeed.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #6645 of 6654 Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Think it's worth waiting for the 4k players? I'm not hearing anything yet on them.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #6646 of 6654 Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM

Hi, my Denon 3800 BD has a permanent HDMI module failure, as they say in the only authorised service here in Poland.

The funny thing is that they can't replace the whole module, claiming Denon not offering it anymore. Total madness.

So in practice the verdict is I can trash the whole player and purchase the new one.

Can it be true worldwide ? 

Please help, I am willing to send the player abroad, to any European service. 

post #6647 of 6654 Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I've been having some issues with the sound lately. It seems to affect DTS-MA discs although that's what most BDs are nowadays. I'll occasionally get a some brief ticks of static through one or more channels. It only lasts for a few seconds. I've experienced this on several discs. I suspect it's a DAC malfunction. Has anyone else experienced this anomaly?
post #6648 of 6654 Old 07-08-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Dr_Mark

I still have the 3800 in a second system, but now use an OPPO BDP-105D in the primary system. It's much faster and also has the Darbee video processing which enhances the picture. It is also sonically superior, as the DACs and their implementation are very good indeed.

Lee
Hmm...I just bought an Oppo 105D and have not been impressed with the sound. I ran it for 200 hrs to see if it would improve. It has, but it's still not as good as the 3800. The 105 seems dry and the soundstage a bit flat. The 3800 is more 3 dimensional with a greater sense of space. Maybe it's a matter of personal taste, but I'm having a hard time accepting the sound of the 105. I'm going to audition the Cambridge 752 BD player. If the sound isn't superior to the 3800, I'm going to send the 105 back and keep the 3800. I'll have to deal with or try to solve the minor glitch I'm having with its audio.
post #6649 of 6654 Old 07-08-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi View Post
Hmm...I just bought an Oppo 105D and have not been impressed with the sound. I ran it for 200 hrs to see if it would improve. It has, but it's still not as good as the 3800. The 105 seems dry and the soundstage a bit flat. The 3800 is more 3 dimensional with a greater sense of space. Maybe it's a matter of personal taste, but I'm having a hard time accepting the sound of the 105. I'm going to audition the Cambridge 752 BD player. If the sound isn't superior to the 3800, I'm going to send the 105 back and keep the 3800. I'll have to deal with or try to solve the minor glitch I'm having with its audio.
Got the "quote" notification. I'm surprised that you don't find the Oppo superior, but respect your personal preference. I'd offer the fact that the Oppo has many adjustments and settings to get the best sound from it. If you have the time, and are still interested in assuring yourself you've maximized the Oppo, read the 105D owner's thread and the "audio 105d" threads here on AVS.

On my Krell system with B&W 801Ds, there is no comparison between the two units. I sincerely wish you good luck in finding the best fit for your system!

Lee
post #6650 of 6654 Old 07-08-2014, 09:17 PM

That's very interesting. You have a killer system that must be very revealing. Is my 105 defective? Someone suggested it may be a bug and that changing the resolution to 720p would help. I haven't tried that yet.
post #6651 of 6654 Old 07-10-2014, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's very interesting. You have a killer system that must be very revealing. Is my 105 defective? Someone suggested it may be a bug and that changing the resolution to 720p would help. I haven't tried that yet.
It would seem that your 105D might have a problem, but there are many factors to consider. I'd suggest continuing to try settings configurations and also make sure that the interconnects you are using are not damaged/defective in any way.

I sincerely wish you luck. I hope that the solution presents itself quickly, regardless of which player you end up with.

Lee
post #6652 of 6654 Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
It would seem that your 105D might have a problem, but there are many factors to consider. I'd suggest continuing to try settings configurations and also make sure that the interconnects you are using are not damaged/defective in any way.

I sincerely wish you luck. I hope that the solution presents itself quickly, regardless of which player you end up with.

Lee
I auditioned a Cambridge 752 BD player, and overall I'd say the 105D is superior. The Cambridge sound is more forward and open, but there's some harshness in the treble. The Oppo is more detailed. I think the Oppo will improve with more break in. The 105D also has a noticeably better picture than the Cambridge or Denon 3800. This is even without Darbee processing engaged. Also its features and ergonomics are better than the Cambridge and leaps ahead of the 3800. So I plan to keep the Oppo. I think it'll serve me very well.
post #6653 of 6654 Old 07-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Lee,

How long did it take for your 105 to achieve its best sound?

Jim
post #6654 of 6654 Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Lee,

How long did it take for your 105 to achieve its best sound?

Jim
Couldn't put an exact # on it, but I'd guess 100 hrs. or so. I still have to try routing my music file server through it, my comments about its sound are via SACD & DVD-A playback.

Good luck,

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Dvd 3800bdci Blu Ray Disc Dvd Cd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page