Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau
In addition to the subjective picture/audio quality evaluations, there are specific objective questions that have been raised, some from the review of the manual. Perhaps some of the folks with units can help knock these down:
==== DENON 3800 Q/A =============
1) Forced 1080p/24 mode for aid with certain displays? ANSWERED: NO
1a) Conversion of 480i/60 standard DVDs with film-based content to 1080p/24 output? ANSWERED: NO
2) Ability to have analog video output along with HDMI 1080p/24 output? ANSWERED: NO
3) HDMI 480i output for standard DVDs without clipping of Blacker than Black or Peak White data?
3a) Any method discovered to set the player to automatically switch to HDMI 480i output when playing a standard DVD disc?
3b) Any other issues with correctness/performance of standard DVD playback? ANSWERED: NONE NOTED SO FAR; UPSCALING APPEARS EXCEPTIONAL
4) Playback of DTS-HD HR tracks over HDMI at full resolution (either decoded to PCM or bitstreamed -- test both) instead of getting the "core" audio track as the manual implies?
5) Playback of Dolby Digital Plus tracks over HDMI at full resolution (either decoded to PCM or bitstreamed -- test both) instead of getting the "associated" audio track as the manual implies?
6) & 7) Same as (4) and (5) for the analog audio outputs, which may yield different answers as the manual is silent on this? ANSWER SO FAR: DTS-HD HR OUTPUT AS ANALOG APPEARS TO RENDER ONLY THE 5.1 "CORE" DTS TRACK. NO WORD ON DOLBY PLUS YET.
8) Playback of DTS-HD MA tracks over HDMI at full resolution (either decoded to PCM or bitstreamed) or over analog outputs at full resolution? ANSWERED: APPEARS TO BE WORKING AT BEST QUALITY EITHER WAY FOR HDMI AND ALSO FOR ANALOG.
9) Presence of any low LFE bug?
10) Video adjustments (including Gamma) and noise reduction applicable to BD playback? ANSWERED: YES
11) Playback of BD in Mix Audio mode (which will force PCM output if using HDMI) mixes the secondary audio with the full quality primary audio track or with only the "core" or "associated" primary audio track?
11a) Same as (11) for analog audio output?
12) Noticeable layer change delay during standard DVD playback? ANSWERED: YES, ABOUT 1/2 SECOND.
13) Blu-Ray playback at COMPONENT 1080i or 1080p for BD discs that allow it?
13a) Simultaneous HDMI and Component Blu-Ray playback for BD discs that allow it (See Question (2) for the specific case of HDMI 1080p/24 mode)?
Let me know if I need to correct any of the ANSWERED items and I'll edit this post. I'll also try to collect new answers here as they come in. Please be aware that early answers may turn out later to be incorrect simply due to the difficulty of testing some of this stuff properly.
I'll also try to collect other key questions here as I spot them.