Denon DVD3800BDCI Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Here's a list of firmware updates and the item(s) that they address. There have been other reported changes to the player's performance after various firmware updates than those mentioned here. Most of us will not see all the results of these updates in the manner we use our players.

This is per the "official" Denon releases to their dealers. I have transcribed the wording exactly as released by Denon, and some of these are quite confusing...

Listed are the problems for which corrections have been included:

Version 1.015 Original

Version 1.018

1. When Component is set to 480i, wallpaper may not be displayed properly when a standard DVD disc is played after a Blu-Ray disc.

2. When wallpaper is displayed, Component output might not change from 480i to Excluding 480i.

3. Set-Up does not initialize even though the display indicated initialize occurred.

4. Loss of picture when IP Direct function is selected and the titles Cars or Alien versus Predator Requiem Blu-Ray discs are played.

5. When IP Direct function is selected and used in conjunction with an AVP-A1HDCI and an Epson EMP-TW1000 display connected via an HDMI cable, and when Blu-Ray discs are played back, S-Video and Composite Video are still output.

6. When returning to Menu using the Top Menu button during playback and turning IP Direct on, noise may be generated from HDMI and Component outputs during a video stream test using SMPTE VC-1 1920 x 1080 24P of STD-100N.

7. When MP3 files are played continuously using the SD memory card slot, the beginning of the next song to be played is sometimes lost.

8. When an HDCD is played back using an HDMI cable, sound becomes interrupted.

9. When DivX disc is played back, the sound from the first file becomes interrupted.

10. MP3 files with a sampling rate of 32 kHz will not play.

11. If an AAC1+1 disc is played and skip is used with Main excluded, the voice will be directed to Main.

12. When an AAC1+1 disc is played, Main/Sub is reproduced as default.

13. When Blu-Ray Disc-RE made by BDZ-Z90 is played and skip mode is used, the image may not display even though audio is present.

14. When a DVD disc is played, the amplifier may display PCM 5.1 after the DVD player's output is switched in the order of PCM 2ch > DD5.1/DTS5.1 > PCM 2ch.

15. When a WMA track name is displayed using the display button, if skip is pressed during the track name scroll, the track name is not displayed.

Version 1.100

1. When disc title BioHazard 3 is played, Dolby Digital is displayed instead of Dolby NR True HD.

2. A 4:3 image recorded on BD-R/RE discs is not played back correctly.

Version 1.104

1. When the DVD player is connected to a monitor at "1080p/24f" (1080p non-correspondence), "1080p/24f" cannot be selected.

2. When the DVD player is connected to a Denon AVR-4308CI A/V receiver and Dolby TrueHD 192kHz 6ch is output by bitstream, the output becomes "Dolby Digital".

3. The BDAV (Blu-Ray Audio/Visual) disc was not able to be played. Specification was changed.

4. When the disc menu of Blu-Ray disc BioHazard 3 is played with mixed audio output and the audio mute (bitstream) option is set, the audio signal is not output over SPDIF.

5. Analog Mix 2-channel output reverses to "Analog Multi Channel" output.

Version 1.107

1. Block noise is generated when a DVD that has CSS (Content Scrambling System) is reproduced.

Version 1.111

1. When Blu-Ray title The Rookie is played, the DVD-3800BDCI can not play subtitles normally.

2. When tracks 160 and 161 of the "DTS-HD Test Disc" are played and the HDMI digital output is set to the "HDMI Multi (LPCM)" setting, the signal of "7.1ch" is output by "5.1ch".

Version 1.114

1. A metallic like sound is heard when certain Blu-Ray discs are played back.

2. Sound skipping occurs when playing back the Blu-Ray disc Disney Enchanted in Dolby TrueHD.

3. Sound breaks off when the audio output is set to HDMI in Dolby TrueHD.

4. The sound may interrupt momentarily when the going from "Stop to Play" or similar function when "Dolby TrueHD" is reproduced by the "HD Audio Out" setting.

5. When the DVD player is connected to a D-Vision 30CX DLP projector made by the Projection Design Company via HDMI, the color of the picture is not correct.

6. When the tray opens during playback of the Blu-Ray disc The Rookie, the unit freezes.

7. When the disc "FPD Benchmark Software" (issue appendix January of fiscal year 2008 of AV Review) was copied by "B's Recorder GOLD9," the disc may not playback.

8. When the DVD player is connected to a TH-32LX80 monitor and the monitor is set to "Deep Color Auto" for Deep Color via HDMI, the sound is not output for 2~3 minutes if a disc with CSS content is inserted in the unit, and the power supply of the unit is turned on (power).

Version 1.115

1. Disc 2/3/4 of CD-DA disc Tommy Dorsey cannot be played.

Version 1.118

1. The Incredible Hulk, Wanted, Hellboy 2, Death Race, and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor of Blu-Ray titles will cause the player to lock up.

2. When 1080p/24f mode is selected and Blu-ray title Kill Bill Vol. 1 is played, the player will stopo at title 4, Chapter 2, 17 seconds.

Version 1.120

No specific information yet.

Here are the assembled questions and answers (so far) regarding various performance parameters of the Denon DVD3800BDCI Blu-Ray player. I brought these into post #1 to assist others in finding this info quickly.

==== DENON 3800 Q/A =============

WHEN LOOKING FOR NEWEST INFORMATION REGARDING THE STATUS OF ANY LISTED QUESTIONS, PLEASE READ THE "FIRMWARE UPDATES" SECTION ABOVE TO CHECK IF THE ISSUE HAS BEEN ADDRESSED!!

HOW DO I GET THE 3800 TO SEND 1080P/24 VIDEO TO MY DISPLAY? Be sure that the 3800's "IP DIRECT" function is set to "ON" (video setup menu) if you are having trouble getting 1080p/24. Also, some displays will only accept 1080p/24 when their picture settings are in certain modes. Usually, the "PURE" type of settings are your best bet to accept 1080p/24 (on Pioneer plasmas pre-Kuro, for instance).

1) Forced 1080p/24 mode for aid with certain displays? ANSWER UPDATED 3/13/08: GIOMANIA REPORTS THAT YOU CAN APPARENTLY "FORCE" 1080P/24 OUTPUT VIA THE FRONT PANEL BUTTON! FORCING USING THE VIDEO RESOLUTION SETUP MENU ITEM DOES *NOT* WORK. HE HAS FOUND THE "AUTO" SETTING IN THAT MENU ITEM ALLOWS HIM TO VIEW THE MENU PROPERLY EVEN WHEN 1080P/24 IS FORCED. WE ARE ASKING FOR OTHER USERS TO CONFIRM ALL THIS IN CASE THIS SOLUTION IS PECULIAR ONLY TO HIS EQUIPMENT. SEE THIS POST AND THE DISCUSSION FOLLOWING:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post13375262

1a) Conversion of 480i/60 standard DVDs with film-based content to 1080p/24 output? ANSWERED: NO

1b) Any known problems with 1080p/24 output? ANSWERED: JOEROD REPORTS THE PLAYER IS SENDING OUT 24FPS INSTEAD OF THE MORE TECHNICALLY CORRECT 23.976FPS VIDEO. THIS WILL LIKELY BE A PROBLEM FOR PEOPLE WITH AUDIO/VIDEO PROCESSORS OR DISPLAYS THAT WILL ONLY SYNC TO THE MORE TECHNICALLY CORRECT RATE, OR FOR VIDEO PROCESSORS THAT ATTEMPT TO CONVERT 24FPS INPUT TO 23.976FPS OUTPUT.

2) Ability to have analog video output along with HDMI 1080p/24 output? ANSWERED: NO

3) HDMI 480i output for standard DVDs without clipping of Blacker than Black or Peak White data?

3a) Any method discovered to set the player to automatically switch to HDMI 480i output when playing a standard DVD disc?

3b) Any other issues with correctness/performance of standard DVD playback? ANSWERED: NONE NOTED SO FAR; UPSCALING APPEARS EXCEPTIONAL

4) Playback of DTS-HD HR tracks over HDMI at full resolution (either decoded to PCM or bitstreamed -- test both) instead of getting the "core" audio track as the manual implies? ANSWERED (3/14/08): JSTEINHAUER CONFIRMS THAT DTS-HD HR BITSTREAMS THE FULL QUALITY AUDIO TRACK OVER HDMI. HOWEVER ONLY THE LOWER QUALITY "CORE" DTS TRACK IS SENT IF THE PLAYER IS ASKED TO DECODE DTS-HD HR AND SEND PCM OVER HDMI.

5) Playback of Dolby Digital Plus tracks over HDMI at full resolution (either decoded to PCM or bitstreamed -- test both) instead of getting the "associated" audio track as the manual implies?

6) & 7) Same as (4) and (5) for the analog audio outputs, which may yield different answers as the manual is silent on this? ANSWER UPDATED (3/17/08): DTS-HD HR OUTPUT AS ANALOG APPEARS TO RENDER ONLY THE 5.1 "CORE" DTS TRACK. (UPDATE): STILL AWAITING TESTING ON DD+. TESTERS BEWARE THAT SOME WARNER BD DISCS ARE MISLABELED AS HAVING DD+ TRACKS WHEN THEY ARE ACTUALLY ONLY LOWER QUALITY DD TRACKS.

8) Playback of DTS-HD MA tracks over HDMI at full resolution (either decoded to PCM or bitstreamed) or over analog outputs at full resolution? ANSWERED: APPEARS TO BE WORKING AT BEST QUALITY EITHER WAY FOR HDMI AND ALSO FOR ANALOG.

9) Presence of any low LFE bug? ANSWER UPDATED 3/16/08: NO LFE BUG OVER ANALOG OUTPUTS OR OPTICAL DIGITAL OUTPUT FOR ANY AUDIO TRACK FORMAT. (UPDATE) JSTEINHAUER REPORTS THAT THE LOW LFE BUG APPARENTLY *DOES* EXIST IN THE 3800 FOR HDMI PCM OUTPUT (AS DETERMINED PER SHAMUS' TEST USING THE DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS DISC). WE'RE WAITING FOR ANOTHER POSTER TO CONFIRM. UPDATE: THE LFE BUG APPEARS TO BE PRESENT WHEN USING HDMI PCM OUTPUT.

10) Video adjustments (including Gamma) and noise reduction applicable to BD playback? ANSWERED: YES.

11) Playback of BD in Mix Audio mode (which will force PCM output if using HDMI) mixes the secondary audio with the full quality primary audio track or with only the "core" or "associated" primary audio track? ANSWERED (3/15/08): JSTEINHAUER REPORTS THAT TURNING ON "MIX AUDIO" DOES INDEED CAUSE A USER-SELECTED DOLBY TRUEHD 5.1 PRIMARY TRACK TO BE REPLACED WITH THE "ASSOCIATED", LOWER QUALITY, REGULAR DD5.1 TRACK (DECODED TO HDMI PCM) AS THE MANUAL SUGGESTS, AND THAT THIS IS TRUE EVEN IF THERE IS NO "SECONDARY" OR "INTERACTIVE" AUDIO ACTUALLY PRESENT TO MIX IN DUE TO THE PARTICULAR DISC BEING PLAYED OR SELECTIONS MADE IN THAT DISC'S MENUS. HDMI BITSTREAMING IS ALSO NOT AVAILABLE WHEN "MIX AUDIO" IS ON. I.E. YOU CAN'T ACTUALLY GET DOLBY TRUEHD AUDIO (VIA HDMI) IF "MIX AUDIO" IS TURNED ON. JSTEINHAUER CONFIRMS THE SAME IS TRUE FOR DTS-HD MA. IF "MIX AUDIO" IS ON, A SELECTED DTS-HD MA PRIMARY AUDIO TRACK IS REPLACED BY THE (MAX 5.1) LOWER QUALITY, "CORE" DTS TRACK DECODED TO HDMI PCM -- AND HDMI BITSTREAMING IS NOT AVAILABLE. AND AGAIN THIS IS TRUE WHETHER OR NOT SECONDARY AUDIO IS ACTUALLY PRESENT TO MIX IN.

11a) Same as (11) for analog audio output? "MIX AUDIO" setting reduces analog output to 5.1 core track for primary audio.

12) Noticeable layer change delay during standard DVD playback? ANSWERED: YES, ABOUT 1/2 SECOND.

13) Blu-Ray playback at COMPONENT 1080i or 1080p for BD discs that allow it?

13a) Simultaneous HDMI and Component Blu-Ray playback for BD discs that allow it (See Question (2) for the specific case of HDMI 1080p/24 mode)?

14) Any other issues related to audio? ANSWERS SO FAR: DIGIONE REPORTS THAT DOLBY DIGITAL IS NOT HANDLED PROPERLY SOMEHOW FOR OPTICAL/COAX DIGITAL OUTPUTS, RESULTING IN AN INCORRECT +4dB BOOST ON ALL CHANNELS. THIS APPLIES TO ALL DOLBY DIGITAL FORMATS. ANALOG OUTPUTS APPEAR CORRECT. HDMI NOT YET TESTED.

14a) Additional audio findings? TRADITIONAL, LOSSY DD TRACKS THAT INCLUDE FLAGS TO AID IN EXPANDING THEIR 5.1 CONTENT TO 6.1 OR 7.1 SPEAKER OUTPUT (E.G. A "DD-EX 6.1" TRACK FROM A STANDARD DVD) ARE ONLY DECODED TO 5.1 FOR THE ANALOG OUTPUTS OR FOR HDMI PCM OUTPUT. HOWEVER, THE INCLUDED FLAGS ARE PROPERLY TRANSMITTED TO THE AVR FOR DECODING IN THE AVR IF USING HDMI BITSTREAM.

15) Any other issues related to HDMI? ANSWERS SO FAR: ADZ523 REPORTS THAT HE HAD TO TURN OFF "DEEP COLOR" IN HIS 3800 TO GET THE HDMI CONNECTION TO PASS THROUGH HIS LEXICON PRE/PRO TO HIS DISPLAY. THIS MAY BE AN IMPORTANT TIP FOR ANY OTHER FOLKS HAVING TROUBLE GETTING THE HDMI CONNECTION WORKING FROM THE 3800 TO THEIR AVR.

16) The 3800 clips white levels at its default contrast setting. Putting the player's contrast at -1 or -2 corrects this situation.

=============================

Here are some valuable tips regarding audio setup and LFE balance from EWL5:

The Best Audio Choice for YOUR Situation
With this post, I hope that everyone can make an informed decision as to which audio choice would be the best choice for your particular situation:

Bitstreaming (ie. HDMI Multi (Normal))
1) You own an HDMI 1.3 AVR/prepro capable of decoding ALL HBR codecs
2) You don't really care for secondary audio and don't watch PIP commentary or special features much
3) You want decoding of DTS-ES and/or Dolby Digital EX tracks
4) You want the simplest audio setting possible from the player (receiver will take care of speaker delay, level, bass management, etc.)

Player decodes over HDMI with Source Direct ON (ie. HDMI Multi (LPCM)+ BD Audio Mode set at Mix Audio Output)
1) You want the player to decode the audio.
2) You own an HDMI receiver that is at least HDMI 1.1 and can handle MCH LPCM over HDMI.
3) You enjoy special features and want the player to do the mixing of primary and secondary audio (retaining lossless quality).
4) You want the receiver to handle speaker delay, level, bass management, etc.
Note: This mode used to have the LFE bug but is fixed with latest firmware.

Player decodes over HDMI with Source Direct OFF
Same as above except:
1) You want the player to handle speaker delay, level, bass management, etc.
2) This mode WILL create a -15dB LFE level relative to the other channels due to redirected LFE when any speakers are selected as SMALL (If all speakers are LARGE, then you are similar to Source Direct ON with the exception that delay/channel levels are still taken). You have essentially created a mode similar to analog but this is in the digital realm! LFE must be boosted by +15dB. Since the max the 3800 can boost in LFE is +10, you have to further boost in the receiver/prepro by an additional +5dB! This is not a bug since you will experience this in analog as well!
3) Your AVR/prepro has no further capability of boosting LFE (ie. analog is a passthrough with no LFE boosting capability). If this is the case, you will want to set all speakers to LARGE as the max that the 3800 can boost is +10dB and NOT +15dB! Setting speakers to LARGE will prevent redirected LFE and the additional -5dB drop.

Player decodes and outputs over MCH Analog Outs
1) People who own non-HDMI receivers or can't handle MCH LPCM over HDMI.
2) The DAC's in the player are well beyond the receiver's DAC's.
3) As explained in point 2 above, you WILL get -15dB drop if ANY speakers are set to SMALL due to redirected LFE. This has been a limitation of analog since the early days of analog decoding. People are just discovering this quirk because we've been digital for so long! Same necessity to further boost +5 in the AVR/prepro applies since the player maxes out at +10dB for LFE. If that additional +5 boost is a problem, set all speakers to LARGE.

Most of these findings I've discovered on my own but I wasn't able to connect the similarities b/w HDMI Source Direct OFF and analog MCH out until I read Kris' review of the 3800:

"All 7.1 channels feature full bass management and level controls for PCM signals sent via the HDMI or analog outputs. In my experience, level adjustments over HDMI are unique to the DVD-3800BDCI."

That little passage made me realize that for better or worse, Denon gave the user much more flexibility than anyone could possibly imagine. It also gave the possiblity of users like sharok discovering the "-5dB hole" that is normal to analog users but unique to HDMI until you consider that with Source Direct OFF, it acts exactly like analog!

So in conclusion, this "-5dB hole" is easily accounted for by:

1) Boosting LFE by +5 in the AVR/prepro
2) Setting all speakers to LARGE (prevents redirected LFE and the -5dB)
3) Simply turning Source Direct to ON and letting the receiver do all the work.

Remember, this "-5dB hole" is normal when redirected LFE is involved. It is not like the common LFE bug but we took notice because what we should have expected in analog was happening to HDMI with Source Direct OFF.

Edit: If you would like further reading on the common -10dB for LFE vs the -15dB LFE w/redirected bass, please read the first post of this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

Remember, that it comes from the analog angle but fits very well with what is happening with HDMI and Source Direct OFF (with at least one speaker set to SMALL of course).

============================================================ ============

Here is the body of my original post, which mentions first impressions with the player:

I hooked up my new 3800 this afternoon. Setup was very straightforward, and finished in about 15 minutes.

Impressions:

BD VIDEO: Excellent PQ to my Pioneer PRO1540HD plasma. The PQ is much better than the Samsung BD-P1000 I had been using... that player is my only "direct" comparison. I'll leave it to others to offer further comments, since my display is 1080i. The colors were richer and fine detail was incredible, even on my display.

Note: Although my display will accept a 1080p/24 input, the 3800 would not allow 1080p/24 output. Apparently, the "handshake" was not completed and I could not even select that resolution in the player's output menu. Therefore, I don't believe you can FORCE 1080p/24 onto a display that doesn't communicate with the 3800, regardless of that display's input acceptance of that signal. EDITED TO ADD: By resetting a few items in the Pioneer plasma setup menu, I was able to activate the 1080p/24 output of the Denon. Picture quality took a major step forward on my display. It was much more 3-Dimensional and had more natural color, with even better detail!

BD AUDIO: Oh, my! DTS-HD/MA (Fox) and Dolby TrueHD were awesome. PCM was also state-of-the-art. The audio quality (via analog out) was superb. This, in my opinion, is the biggest jump you'll make when acquiring this player. As a long-time audiophile, I will unequivocally state that you will be floored by a good soundtrack. I have no comments about audio via HDMI.

CD AUDIO: Better sounding than my 3930CI (with DenonLink connection). The instrumental tone is more natural, soundstaging volume is greater, and imaging is more precise.... 3 for 3! You can choose "Pure Direct" mode, which shuts down all non-essential circuitry for audio-only playback.

Comments will follow regarding SD-DVD upconversion and picture quality. Honestly, the sound on good soundtracks was blowing me away, and I didn't get to that portion of "testing".

That's it for initial impressions. More to follow as further experience and time allow.

Thanks to all AVS members who assisted me with questions and information while I was considering this player.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice initial review.

Congrats Lee!
post #3 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Lee, a shame to hear there is no forced 1080p/24 mode. I also own a Pioneer plasma that accepts it but requires a forced mode from the source. I read Sony understands the importance of a forced mode and has made that a priority on their recent players. I wonder how much a Sony ES BD player would cost?

I want this player to be the "one" but lack of profile 2.0 and no support for DVD-A/SACD is a tough pill for me to swallow at 2k. Anyone know if Pioneer has an equivalent Elite waiting in the wings?

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #4 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
post #5 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Regarding 1080p/24.
Dont forget you need to engage I/P direct for whatever reason...
post #6 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Lee, a shame to hear there is no forced 1080p/24 mode. I also own a Pioneer plasma that accepts it but requires a forced mode from the source. I read Sony understands the importance of a forced mode and has made that a priority on their recent players. I wonder how much a Sony ES BD player would cost?

I want this player to be the "one" but lack of profile 2.0 and no support for DVD-A/SACD is a tough pill for me to swallow at 2k. Anyone know if Pioneer has an equivalent Elite waiting in the wings?

Yes, there is a rumor of a Pioneer Elite coming late this year that will include DVD-A and SA-CD. This was per Jon Spackman (moderator).
post #7 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Ditto Shamus... If you get 1080P24 to go, then if you could check one thing for me.... Can the composite out put out video while 1080P24 is going via HDMI...?

Nice mini review..Thanks..

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #8 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

From the pictures of the Denon player it looks huge. Is it about the size of the first Sony BD player?
post #9 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Let's make sure the settings are correct before we assume this player will not force 1080p24.

From page 31 of the manual:

HDMI Video Resolution should be set to 1080p24

I/P Direct should be set to On, so that "24 frame material will be output directly 1080p24 frame from the HDMI OUT"

Please ensure these settings are correct and try again, unless you know already?

Thanks.

Mark
post #10 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Regarding 1080p/24.
Dont forget you need to engage I/P direct for whatever reason...

I/P was on. After reading the manual, I thought for sure it'd work. Nope.... The 1080p/24 selection is "grayed out" so you can't even choose it. I went back and tried the I/P off with no luck either. Couldn't get it to work.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #11 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

I/P was on. After reading the manual, I thought for sure it'd work. Nope....

Lee

What about the HDMI Resolution setting?

Thanks.

Mark
post #12 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

What profile is this player?
post #13 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

What profile is this player?

1.1 I believe.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #14 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Yes, there is a rumor of a Pioneer Elite coming late this year that will include DVD-A and SA-CD. This was per Jon Spackman (moderator).

Rob, thanks for the heads up. I'd definitely like to buy a BD player that can also replace my trusty DV59AVi. If this new Elite also has iLink, then it's icing on the cake. A shame that Denon wants to save its Denonlink for the future highend universal player (per DenonJeff).

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #15 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Lee, a shame to hear there is no forced 1080p/24 mode. I also own a Pioneer plasma that accepts it but requires a forced mode from the source. I read Sony understands the importance of a forced mode and has made that a priority on their recent players.

Out of curiosity, why is forcing 1080p/24 desirable, unless your display actually ouputs 1080p/24? My projector (Epson 1080) accepts 1080p/24 but displays 1080p/60 so I wasn't going to try to force 1080p/24, becuase I figure the Realta, in the 3800, will do a better job with converting the signal to 1080p/60, rather than sending 1080p/24 to my Epson to do it. Is that not right?

I want to be an owner! Where are you guys getting these things? Does anyone know where I can get one?
post #16 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulogytool View Post

I want to be an owner! Where are you guys getting these things? Does anyone know where I can get one?

magnolia via special order, perhaps JR, any other denon dealer, unfortuntely no longer tweeter.
post #17 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:

CD AUDIO: Better sounding than my 3930CI (with DenonLink connection). The instrumental tone is more natural, soundstaging volume is greater, and imaging is more precise.... 3 for 3! You can choose "Pure Direct" mode, which shuts down all non-essential circuitry for audio-only playback.
Lee

Interesting, i've always debated with myself which i thought would do a better job for 2 channel with my Denons. A nice pair of RCA's, or the Denon link connection?
post #18 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I still don't understand why you have to make two settings to get /24 to work... Resolution set to 1080p/24 and I/P to on? Seems redundant.
post #19 of 6654 Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

That's great to hear. You have a Denon AVR-4806, correct? If so, that AVR is certainly no slouch in the audio department.

Have you tried comparing the analog section of the 3930 to the analog section of the 3800? This would be an actual comparison among players.
post #20 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:

I.... Nope.... The 1080p/24 selection is "grayed out" so you can't even choose it. I went back and tried the I/P off with no luck either. Couldn't get it to work.

Lee

Maybe a fw upgrade is needed
post #21 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 01:16 AM

Does anyone know of a retailer that would be prepared to ship one of these internationally?

Thanks
Lance
post #22 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHutchin View Post

Does anyone know of a retailer that would be prepared to ship one of these internationally?

Thanks
Lance

I would also like to know this please

Cheers

BT
post #23 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 AM

I was so lucky i called around Santa Monica, and got a 3800 available at Video and Audio Sound in Santa Monica, they had two units there i rushed and got one, the other two were being shipped to England and somewhere else in states.

I can't believe i am so lucky, wow, i am one of the first on avs with a 3800 , i am going to hook it up tomorrow. Cant wait to see my bollywood collection on the realta chip.

Hutchin call up Video and Audio Sound , in Santa Monica , they are located 28th Wilshire by my house, and they were shipping one to England, so you can get one from there.
post #24 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikarim View Post

call up Video and Audio Sound , in Santa Monica , they are located 28th Wilshire by my house, and they were shipping one to England, so you can get one from there.

Thanks.
Don't suppose you have a web address for them I can't get any trace on google & yellow pages?
post #25 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 199
One more thing to check is your display. On my Pioneer plasma (6070), there's a setting that deals with 1080p/24. That's probably part of the handshake protocol before the player will output that resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Let's make sure the settings are correct before we assume this player will not force 1080p24.

From page 31 of the manual:

HDMI Video Resolution should be set to 1080p24

I/P Direct should be set to On, so that "24 frame material will be output directly 1080p24 frame from the HDMI OUT"

Please ensure these settings are correct and try again, unless you know already?

Thanks.

Mark

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #26 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 04:44 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:

Contact Steve at Sound Video; he should have a shipment arriving today. He is an authorized dealer and a great guy.

sales@soundvideo.com

Mark
post #27 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
+1

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #28 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 06:13 AM

Lee - Thanks for the informative review, I look forward to hearing more impressions from you and others who have already obtained theirs.

I cannot wait till I get back to the States next week where mine ordered from ABT Electronics will be waiting. Also have to order some interconnects for the analog out. Oh and some BR movies since I have none at this time - any suggestions to show off the player and that are good movies at the same time?

Is there any chance of making this thread a sticky since I am sure there will be quite an interest in it going forward?

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
~Bob Marley~
post #29 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Out of curiosity, why is forcing 1080p/24 desirable, unless your display actually ouputs 1080p/24? My projector (Epson 1080) accepts 1080p/24 but displays 1080p/60 so I wasn't going to try to force 1080p/24, becuase I figure the Realta, in the 3800, will do a better job with converting the signal to 1080p/60, rather than sending 1080p/24 to my Epson to do it. Is that not right?

Most BD's are encoded at 1080p/24 so anytime you can get from source to display without any chance of being altered (ie. 2:3 pulldown) is optimal. My plasma is not 1080p but with the 1080p/24 "mode" on (ie. PureCinema ADV), it refreshes at 72Hz, which is a multiple of 24 and hence, becomes 3:3 pulldown.

I have seen the benefits from my PS3 during panning scenes that are so smooth compared to normal 2:3 pulldown. The PS3 did not have the ability to force 1080p/24 until a recent firmware (yet another indicator that Sony has listened to the home theater crowd). In reality, a "forced" mode should never be a deal breaker but it is definitely a perk that seems to be a Sony standard moving forward.

Edit: Thanks Lee for your review and congrats on a superb machine. Hoping to hear more from Calvin too.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #30 of 6654 Old 03-06-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Lee, can you give approximate booting/loading times for the player and BD-J discs like the Pirates movies? Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Dvd 3800bdci Blu Ray Disc Dvd Cd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page