Effin PS3... which Blu-Ray player should I buy at $399 price point? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Wich of these stand alone players is the best?
Sharp BD-HP20U 0 0%
Samsung BD-P1400/X 0 0%
Sony BDP-S300 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

There's still a disc in your PS3 that you have to get up to eject anyway. You could have powered it down then.

Nothing says I HAVE to eject it when I'm done. I still love how people are hell bent on convincing me that the PS3's shortcomings are somehow convenient and right for me.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

Nothing says I HAVE to eject it when I'm done. I still love how people are hell bent on convincing me that the PS3's shortcomings are somehow convenient and right for me.

Son, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but it's not all about you. Nobody really cares what you do, or wants to convince you of anything. We're just trying to neutralize all the anti-PS3 FUD you're spewing, for the benefit of innocents who may stumble across this thread and become alarmed.

If you would just stop it, it would end.

And your sig still makes no sense.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #93 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Son, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but it's not all about you. Nobody really cares what you do, or wants to convince you of anything. We're just trying to neutralize all the anti-PS3 FUD you're spewing, for the benefit of innocents who may stumble across this thread and become alarmed.

If someone happens across this thread and the IR thing is a big deal then it won't much matter what the PS3 fanboys have to say to try to defend it.

BTW, I had afire years ago and it didn't seem to quite fit to me even though I know it was proper usage. I changed it but agree that it should be afire and will change it back. It's funny though no matter how bad it's butchered.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #94 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If someone happens across this thread and the IR thing is a big deal then it won't much matter what the PS3 fanboys have to say to try to defend it.

BTW, I had afire years ago and it didn't seem to quite fit to me even though I know it was proper usage. I changed it but agree that it should be afire and will change it back. It's funny though no matter how bad it's butchered.

The IR thing was a big deal to me, and almost kept me from buying a PS3. But through research I was able to learn that indeed my Harmony could be made to work perfectly well with the PS3, with a limitation (power on/off) that was not really an issue.

Your insistence on labeling as "fanboy" anyone who has objectively assessed the benefits and capabilities of the PS3 and found them worthy is indicative only of the exhaustion of your rational arguments.

Now that you have found a player that satisfies your needs, I suggest you go relax and enjoy a movie.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #95 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The IR thing was a big deal to me, and almost kept me from buying a PS3. But through research I was able to learn that indeed my Harmony could be made to work perfectly well with the PS3, with a limitation (power on/off) that was not really an issue.

Your insistence on labeling as "fanboy" anyone who has objectively assessed the benefits and capabilities of the PS3 and found them worthy is indicative only of the exhaustion of your rational arguments.

Now that you have found a player that satisfies your needs, I suggest you go relax and enjoy a movie.

How can you say that you objectively assessed it when I've already stated that full IR function is a big deal to me yet you continue to tell me that it's not. Just let it be and don't try to convince me (or others who might happen upon this thread during their search) that it's not a big deal to me because I think I know what I'm looking for or not looking for in a Blu-Ray player.

It's a big hit against the PS3 for anyone who is looking for a stand alone player. Anyone who is deciding will most likely look for the negatives and decide if that's something that is a big deal to them or not. If being able to FULLY control their device via IR out of the box is a big deal they will not buy it and will go with one of the other options available. It's simple as that. Sure you can spend another $20-$50 for varying degrees of IR use but nothing allows for full control of the device like every other device available. That's the facts and no amount of sugar coating will make someone happy who finds this a big deal and I'm not alone in this. You would think that people were on the Sony PS3 payroll the way they defend these obvious shortcomings that the PS3 has.

Jer

post #96 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How can you say that you objectively assessed it when I've already stated that full IR function is a big deal to me yet you continue to tell me that it's not. Just let it be and don't try to convince me (or others who might happen upon this thread during their search) that it's not a big deal to me because I think I know what I'm looking for or not looking for in a Blu-Ray player.

I'm not saying, nor do I care, whether it's a big deal to you. Clearly you have your own agenda, one not shared by most other people.

I AM saying it's not a big deal, generally speaking.

Quote:
It's a big hit against the PS3 for anyone who is looking for a stand alone player. Anyone who is deciding will most likely look for the negatives and decide if that's something that is a big deal to them or not. If being able to FULLY control their device via IR out of the box is a big deal they will not buy it and will go with one of the other options available. It's simple as that. Sure you can spend another $20-$50 for varying degrees of IR use but nothing allows for full control of the device like every other device available. That's the facts and no amount of sugar coating will make someone happy who finds this a big deal and I'm not alone in this. You would think that people were on the Sony PS3 payroll the way they defend these obvious shortcomings that the PS3 has.

The PS3 actually has other shortcomings that are at least as significant. And nobody is denying them. Some of them may in fact be dealbreakers for some people, depending on how important certain aspects of their HT setups are.

What we are denying is that your vehemence and irrational hatred of all things Sony are somehow representative of anything or anyone but yourself.

You decided that the PS3 wasn't right for you. Now you seem determined to convince people that it's not right for anyone. And you're ignoring all discussion that suggests otherwise.

I think that anyone reading this thread will now have concluded that your opinion is biased and not statitistically significant. So I'm done.

Have a nice day.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #97 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I refuse to turn this into a Xbox v PS3 thread so please don't start listing things that YOU like about the PS3 and things that YOU don't like about the 360.

I will NOT come to enjoy the BT remote. Ever. If it really was about line of sight they would have used RF since that's the industry standard for remote control that doesn't require line of sight. It's been being used for many many years successfully and many aftermarket products support it as a result. That's NOT what it's about though, it's about the money.

I also don't know why everyone keeps trying to sell me on the controller and how great it is. Bottom line for me: It's still an additional controller to have to deal with regardless of how good it is. I already have one of the best remotes available and it works flawlessly... on everything BUT the PS3. Maybe you don't mind having to buy some $50 device or not being able to control everything on the console until you're in the move (even though you can't control the bonus material that everyone says I need PS3 for... irony?) but I do. I made an investment in a quality remote to replace the 15 remotes I would otherwise have to use in my theater and to buy a device that requires use of another remote defeats the purpose entirely.

I don't want a PS3. I didn't want one forever and I let a buddy finally convince me to get one for a Blu-Ray player when I just wanted to get a stand alone player. I bought a PS3 though and gave it a fair chance and hate the thing. Period. If you are one of the millions who likes it that's great but please stop trying to sell me on it. It's not an option for me.

I own a PS3, and I have to agree.

It is very good game machine.
It is good at streaming music.
It plays SACD pretty well.
It plays Bluray so-so (no DTS-MA and loud fan).
It is a great combination device.

If you want the best Bluray player, the PS3 probably isn't it (although it may be the best choice for the OP if he has to buy today). PS3 owners need to look at the facts and realize the short comings of the PS3 as a Bluray player.

If Sony, were to add DTS-MA, that would help greatly, but personally I am giving up. I am about to list my PS3 for sale (as I am not a gamer), and get a stand alone player that has DTS-MA.

The PS3 is a terrific machine. Just be sure you know what you want, and know what the PS3 does well.

Darrell
post #98 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

If you want the best Bluray player, the PS3 probably isn't it (although it may be the best choice for the OP if he has to buy today). PS3 owners need to look at the facts and realize the short comings of the PS3 as a Bluray player.

If Sony, were to add DTS-MA, that would help greatly, but personally I am giving up. I am about to list my PS3 for sale (as I am not a gamer), and get a stand alone player that has DTS-MA.

The PS3 is a terrific machine. Just be sure you know what you want, and know what the PS3 does well.

Darrell

I won't list mine until the BD50 is confirmed to not have any problems. I was kind of hoping that the PS3 could do the 3D processing that Mitsubishi mentioned. They claimed to be working with a game console manufacturer, my bet is on the PS3. Another reason to not act in haste. The money is spent and might as well hold it to see what comes along.
post #99 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 12:18 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

I have the Panasonic BD30 and the PS3 40 Gb.

TrueHD = Multichannel PCM (side by side A/B test with six people listening to the soundtrack from 300 with an Onkyo 875 processing the HD track from the BD30 and also receiving LPCM from the PS3). People "hearing" a difference I would not trust as reliable witnesses in a court of law.

PS3 >>> BD30.
post #100 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Darrell

I own two. For some there are shortcomings with the PS3 as a BD player, while the majority of other owners there are no issues.
post #101 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is my agenda. I am not paid by Sony, but I am a fanboy if you will of their game systems and TV's. I would never buy their AV receivers or speakers. I am NOT in denial about a CE product that may have problems or be faulty, but I will not sit idly by as a member of this forum who owns two PS3's and knows how good they are and what they can do.

There is a lot of BS being spewed as you say and it isn't right. Prior to the PS3's inception and during the PS3's frst year there was what had to be one of the worst if not the worst negative internet campaigns about a product.
There were many who were just simply angry about the PS3.

I will not be one bit afraid to say when something is crap and at the same time call BS when it is being spewed.

There shouldn't even be a comparison of the PS3 and a stand alone other than simply for BD playback. They are two totally different machines. A stand alone even four times the cost cannot even come close to what a PS3 can do. As far as BD playback the PS3 can hold its own and is better than most with some exceptions going to preference for those who cannot or do not want it to work in their setups.
post #102 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVi View Post

I have the Panasonic BD30 and the PS3 40 Gb.

TrueHD = Multichannel PCM (side by side A/B test with six people listening to the soundtrack from 300 with an Onkyo 875 processing the HD track from the BD30 and also receiving LPCM from the PS3). People "hearing" a difference I would not trust as reliable witnesses in a court of law.

PS3 >>> BD30.

How did the DTS-MA comparison go?

Have you compared Fan noise during quiet passages?
post #103 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The points he brings against the PS3 are not FUD hahaa. Your claim that they are FUD may be FUD, but not the other way around.

I own a PS3 and I am happy with it. It plays great, but the points he mentions are still very annoying and I would be very happy if they didn't exist. My inability to wait for anything means I bought the PS3 as the best value option at the time for a variety of reasons even though it makes little sense as an integrated piece of HT gear for my system.

I have no regrets, but it doesn't change the reality that has integration shortcomings.

Cheers,

Richard

PS. I laughed at the sig and it makes perfect sense. Sick yes, but it works.
post #104 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 01:43 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:

DTS-MA was not tested as I do not have any source material for it.

The fans are virtually silent. Those reporting fan noise must have older hardware.
post #105 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's also a little amusing that he held it with 6 people, but the ones who could or thought they could tell the difference don't count

Cheers,

Richard
post #106 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Fan noise from a distance, especially loud fan noise is not normal if the PS3 is ventilated and not enclosed.

I have two, a 60g and 80g and both are dead silent even at 1 ft away.

I have a nephew and friend that each have one and both PS3's are silent.

The PS3 is a PC and should not be in ANY enclosed or air limited environment.
post #107 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 02:31 PM

I've just hooked up my PS3 to my 52" Sony. I haven't road tested everything it can do, but the Spiderman3 movie looked awesome, the wifi internet is a nice feature, D/L'd the latest firmware and a few demo games with ease, and must say I am enjoying it so far. Like everything in life, there's pros and cons and priorities that will never satisfy everyone. This thread proves that. As I said earlier, I'm glad you're happy Jeremy. So am I.
post #108 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 02:34 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROSEN View Post

It's also a little amusing that he held it with 6 people, but the ones who could or thought they could tell the difference don't count

Cheers,

Richard

OK, what is really funny is that there were a total of six liestening intently, of those six all agreed that TrueHD = PCM and those that could tell the difference are imaginary since in this test, none could be seen nor heard from so their votes could not be tallied.
post #109 of 170 Old 03-16-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PS3 is a great player, if not THE best. Certainly still the fastest and for anyone with an HDMI AVR, it doesn't get better. Setting up the Blu-wave is as easy as selecting it from the DB. that anyone could have difficulty with that.

Guess I'd wait for the S550 if I had to pick something else, though. Or maybe the Denon.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #110 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 AM

I am setting up a home theater and have the Panny Bd-30 in my other room and thinking of the pS3 for my theater room to play games and mainly watch Blue DVD's. My surround sound cost more then my pioneer 50" Plasma. So, is the PS# the best blue ray for SOUND. Simple answer is NO. It will be good but it is not the best. Missing certain decoders for sound and therefore even the BD-30 is a better BLUE ray player.

I have the harmony one remote and it is annoying that the PS3 will only work with the add on from NYKO (but not a big deal). Right now I am still tossed with what to buy for the theater room. I have xbox 360 (but not HDMI). So my options are

1.New xbox 360 (HDMi) + Panasonic Bd-30 or 50 (when it comes out)
2.PS3
3. keep my 360 and just get Panasonic BD-30 or 50
4. PS 3 + Panasonic Bd-30 or 50.

I am leaning towards 1 and 2. However I love baseball games and PS3 has the best one out there.
post #111 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I still think this thread should be closed now that the OP has found a player he's happy with.
post #112 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I still think this thread should be closed now that the OP has found a player he's happy with.

You've made your opinion known several times now. There's still plenty of good conversation going on here so no reason to lock it. Eventually, people will stop posting to the thread and it will go away. That's the way this works. If you don't like the thread, unsubscribe and quit posting to it to bump it.

Jer

post #113 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Eventually, people will stop posting to the thread and it will go away.

It is a shame the same thing won't happen to people like you.
post #114 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

It is a shame the same thing won't happen to people like you.

Har har. I bet you crack yourself up, don't you?

Jer

post #115 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2Run View Post

I am setting up a home theater and have the Panny Bd-30 in my other room and thinking of the pS3 for my theater room to play games and mainly watch Blue DVD's. My surround sound cost more then my pioneer 50" Plasma. So, is the PS# the best blue ray for SOUND. Simple answer is NO. It will be good but it is not the best. Missing certain decoders for sound and therefore even the BD-30 is a better BLUE ray player.

I have the harmony one remote and it is annoying that the PS3 will only work with the add on from NYKO (but not a big deal). Right now I am still tossed with what to buy for the theater room. I have xbox 360 (but not HDMI). So my options are

1.New xbox 360 (HDMi) + Panasonic Bd-30 or 50 (when it comes out)
2.PS3
3. keep my 360 and just get Panasonic BD-30 or 50
4. PS 3 + Panasonic Bd-30 or 50.

I am leaning towards 1 and 2. However I love baseball games and PS3 has the best one out there.

A little off topic...My question is what do you want from an hdmi 360? If its to move from the components, just get the vga cable (like I did) and hook it up to to your tv's pc input (if it has one). This way I got the 1:1 1080p pixel mapping and a much cleaner picture. It will match any other screen res as well.

So I would say option 5: Keep your 360 (for the incredible games it has and are coming, Gears 2, Mass Effect 2 anyone!!!) and get a vga cable, AND get a ps3 for the absolutely incredible games that it has and are coming out for it (gt5, MGS, Killzone 2 anyone!!!), and maybe use it a a br player LOL.
post #116 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimajnacnud View Post

A little off topic...My question is what do you want from an hdmi 360? If its to move from the components, just get the vga cable (like I did) and hook it up to to your tv's pc input (if it has one). This way I got the 1:1 1080p pixel mapping and a much cleaner picture. It will match any other screen res as well.

So I would say option 5: Keep your 360 (for the incredible games it has and are coming, Gears 2, Mass Effect 2 anyone!!!) and get a vga cable, AND get a ps3 for the absolutely incredible games that it has and are coming out for it (gt5, MGS, Killzone 2 anyone!!!), and maybe use it a a br player LOL.

If I get ps3 I am selling 360. I love mainly sports games. PS3 I am still not sold on. It simply is NOT the best BlueRay Player. It is the best BANG FOR THE BUCK. But bucks is not my issue sound is.
post #117 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimajnacnud View Post

I am guess because he has an high-end HDMI AVR. Hooking everything up to AVR by HDMI then running single HDMI to display simplifies setup and cable mess. While you are right about PC input less and less displays are using a VGA input either going to DVI + HDMI or simply just HDMI.
post #118 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I get ps3 I am selling 360. I love mainly sports games. PS3 I am still not sold on. It simply is NOT the best BlueRay Player. It is the best BANG FOR THE BUCK. But bucks is not my issue sound is.

Then get a DMP-BD30 + PS3 or DMP-BD30 + xbox360. Best of both worlds.

Note: You seem to think audio on DMP-BD50 will be better. It won't. Audio on the DMP-BD30 is flawless. It is bitstream so it is exactly the raw audio from disc sent to your AVR. Your AVR does all the "heavy lifting". You can't get better than exactly bit for bit what is on the disc.

The DMP-BD50 adds BD-Live capability which is downloading content from internet. That is it. It does add internal decoding but the best setup would be for you to set player to bitstream so all that decoding ability will be "wasted".
post #119 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps View Post

Then get a DMP-BD30 + PS3 or DMP-BD30 + xbox360. Best of both worlds.

Note: You seem to think audio on DMP-BD50 will be better. It won't. Audio on the DMP-BD30 is flawless. It is bitstream so it is exactly the raw audio from disc sent to your AVR. Your AVR does all the "heavy lifting". You can't get better than exactly bit for bit what is on the disc.

The DMP-BD50 adds BD-Live capability which is downloading content from internet. That is it. It does add internal decoding but the best setup would be for you to set player to bitstream so all that decoding ability will be "wasted".

No, I realize sound wise BD30 or 50 will be the same based on my Receiver. But right now BD-30 sound is better then PS3. My real dilema was BD-30 or PS3 in my theater room. I am right now leaning towards BD-30. Although the gamer in me wants to say PS3.

That said, I do have xbox 360 (no hdmi) maybe I should just keep that wiht a Bd-30 and stop this insanity.

Now if I keep bd-30 in my theater room then I will need a different blue ray play in my kitchen. Maybe PS 3 in their instead but then Im all over the place. Dammit im 35 with a wife and kid and I own a company. Can't be this obsessed.
post #120 of 170 Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now if I keep bd-30 in my theater room then I will need a different blue ray play in my kitchen. Maybe PS 3 in their instead but then Im all over the place. Dammit im 35 with a wife and kid and I own a company. Can't be this obsessed.

Well I wish I had the "problem" of which BD player to put in the kitchen.

I am assuming the display in kitchen is using internal speakers? There is no AVR in kitchen? If so it doesn't matter from an audio standpoint which player to get. You won't be able to tell difference between DD or TrueHD on HDTV speakers. The PS3 or BD30 or any other BD player would work fine. If PIP (picture in picture) is important make sure the player is BD1.1 (both BD30 & PS3 are).

If you want to play games and watch BD on the display in kitchen I would get PS3 otherwise pick cheapest BD player which doesn't have bugs/crashes/etc (check owners forums and steer clear of Samsung).
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page