Effin PS3... which Blu-Ray player should I buy at $399 price point? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Wich of these stand alone players is the best?
Sharp BD-HP20U 0 0%
Samsung BD-P1400/X 0 0%
Sony BDP-S300 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Senior Member
 
TheLoveone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenola2 View Post

I guess that some people just don't understand that MANY people want a first-class, workable Blu-Ray PLAYER-- NOT a game machine!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

Originally Posted by jeremyhelling
Hey look.... someone else gets it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

there's a good chance that I return this BDP-S300 as well and just wait for a 360 add on

These statements don't make any sense.

Let's be real here Jeremy. So you complain about the PS3 being hot and noisy and you don't want to use a "game machine" to watch your movies, but you'd have no problem using the hottest, noisiest, most unreliable game console that exists right now, with an add-on hanging off of it no less, to do so?

Seriously something doesn't compute here. When IR trumps better value, more reliability, less noise and a quieter system, free future upgrades to profile 2.0, and additional gaming given you are a gamer, something just isn't right. I guess you admitted it though--you hate Sony. But hatred is no trump for good logic and enjoyment of gaming and HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

I really don't understand the whole 'future proof' phrase attached to the PS3 either because, last I checked, NOTHING is future proof. Can it be upgraded here and there? Sure. But I also just upgraded the firmware on my new Sony BDP-S300 too so how is that any different?

That BDP-S300 firmware update fixed existing bugs. It is still a Profile 1.0 player incapable of PiP or online features. It is still slow as hell doing anything with BD-J or loading discs. It still won't internally decode advanced codecs. And it is stuck this way. Forever.

PS3 on the other hand interally decodes Dolby TrueHD and is already at Profile 1.1 and is fast as hell with BD-J and loading discs (the fastest out there, it's the only one with a double speed Blu-ray drive and a 3.2Ghz processor). It has a wireless and ethernet Internet connection. It will also 100% sure confirmed by Sony be getting an update to internally decode DTS-MA discs by Fox and will be upgraded to Profile 2.0 sometime this summer, with the capability to play all features on all discs.
TheLoveone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoveone View Post

These statements don't make any sense.

Let's be real here Jeremy. So you complain about the PS3 being hot and noisy and you don't want to use a "game machine" to watch your movies, but you'd have no problem using the hottest, noisiest, most unreliable game console that exists right now, with an add-on hanging off of it no less, to do so?

Seriously something doesn't compute here. When IR trumps better value, more reliability, less noise and a quieter system, free future upgrades to profile 2.0, and additional gaming given you are a gamer, something just isn't right. I guess you admitted it though--you hate Sony. But hatred is no trump for good logic and enjoyment of gaming and HT.





That BDP-S300 firmware update fixed existing bugs. It is still a Profile 1.0 player incapable of PiP or online features. It is still slow as hell doing anything with BD-J or loading discs. It still won't internally decode advanced codecs. And it is stuck this way. Forever.

PS3 on the other hand interally decodes Dolby TrueHD and is already at Profile 1.1 and is fast as hell with BD-J and loading discs (the fastest out there, it's the only one with a double speed Blu-ray drive and a 3.2Ghz processor). It has a wireless and ethernet Internet connection. It will also 100% sure confirmed by Sony be getting an update to internally decode DTS-MA discs by Fox and will be upgraded to Profile 2.0 sometime this summer, with the capability to play all features on all discs.

Counting chickens before they hatch I see be nice I will wait and see.
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #153 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
darkhorror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Even if the PS3 did not have those "Problems" you are having with it you wouldn't like it. It's obvious as you say you will NOT be buying any games for it, even though you play games as you do have a 360. Not buying games for a system you own just because it's a PS3 is just stupid. Sure if no game ever comes out that you want then sure don't buy any games but not because they are out for the PS3. Even if the PS3 worked better than another device you are not going to like it unless you think about it differently.
darkhorror is offline  
post #154 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tqlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoveone View Post

These statements don't make any sense.

Let's be real here Jeremy. So you complain about the PS3 being hot and noisy and you don't want to use a "game machine" to watch your movies, but you'd have no problem using the hottest, noisiest, most unreliable game console that exists right now, with an add-on hanging off of it no less, to do so?

Seriously something doesn't compute here. When IR trumps better value, more reliability, less noise and a quieter system, free future upgrades to profile 2.0, and additional gaming given you are a gamer, something just isn't right. I guess you admitted it though--you hate Sony. But hatred is no trump for good logic and enjoyment of gaming and HT.

you forgot to add "Even though You Hate sony, you bought another Sony Blu Ray player"

Eh, people want what they want... I guess
tqlla is offline  
post #155 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rutlian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoveone View Post

These statements don't make any sense.

Let's be real here Jeremy. So you complain about the PS3 being hot and noisy and you don't want to use a "game machine" to watch your movies, but you'd have no problem using the hottest, noisiest, most unreliable game console that exists right now, with an add-on hanging off of it no less, to do so?

Seriously something doesn't compute here. When IR trumps better value, more reliability, less noise and a quieter system, free future upgrades to profile 2.0, and additional gaming given you are a gamer, something just isn't right. I guess you admitted it though--you hate Sony. But hatred is no trump for good logic and enjoyment of gaming and HT.



That BDP-S300 firmware update fixed existing bugs. It is still a Profile 1.0 player incapable of PiP or online features. It is still slow as hell doing anything with BD-J or loading discs. It still won't internally decode advanced codecs. And it is stuck this way. Forever.

PS3 on the other hand interally decodes Dolby TrueHD and is already at Profile 1.1 and is fast as hell with BD-J and loading discs (the fastest out there, it's the only one with a double speed Blu-ray drive and a 3.2Ghz processor). It has a wireless and ethernet Internet connection. It will also 100% sure confirmed by Sony be getting an update to internally decode DTS-MA discs by Fox and will be upgraded to Profile 2.0 sometime this summer, with the capability to play all features on all discs.

Do you know which model of the PS3 they are considering for the DTS MA? I've been wanting to buy another bluray player and I am considering ps3 40gig
do you know if it is possible with the 40gig model?

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
rutlian is offline  
post #156 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post

you forgot to add "Even though You Hate sony, you bought another Sony Blu Ray player"

Eh, people want what they want... I guess

I have already said enough in this thread, but the last few posts I can't help but agree with.
I reread the first sentence of the OP and thought similar:

"Not being a fan of Sony I decided I would buy a PS3 because they lose money on me".

regardless of them "losing" money on you, you lost money on a company you dislike or rather you certainly didn't save money just because they "lost" money.

They will more than make it up from us one way or another.
Hughmc is offline  
post #157 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Member
 
skibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good thread for the most part, thanks for posting it OP. I'm about to purchase a PS3 with some credit card reward gift cards to CC, to replace my XBOX 360 HD-DVD add-on as my source of disc based HD. I'm not fan of Sony, I purchased the KDS-R50XBR1 1080P set awhile back that can't accept a 1080P input... Thanks Sony! (Doesn't really matter to me since it deinterlaces 1080i excellently, I just like to bitch) I'm just looking for a good BD player that is easily and often upgraded, relatively cheap, etc. The fact that it can stream media from my Vista Media Center is a huge bonus, as well as the built-in WiFi. My Harmony 880 can't turn on/off my Wii now anyways, so I'm not too worried about adding the PS3 into the mix. I doubt I will ever buy a PS3 game either, I'll still be playing Halo 3 until Halo 4 comes out You would definitely say that I am a Microsoft fan boy, I even work as a software engineer with primarily Microsoft technologies - by choice. The PS3 still appears to be the best value for me - so I'll take it. I don't expect it to be as bad as some claim, nor as great as others claim... We'll see, I guess.
skibbs is offline  
post #158 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Member
 
isu1648's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

Do you know which model of the PS3 they are considering for the DTS MA? I've been wanting to buy another bluray player and I am considering ps3 40gig
do you know if it is possible with the 40gig model?

it will be all models, as it will be included in a firmware update.
isu1648 is offline  
post #159 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jeremyhelling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibbs View Post

Good thread for the most part, thanks for posting it OP. I'm about to purchase a PS3 with some credit card reward gift cards to CC, to replace my XBOX 360 HD-DVD add-on as my source of disc based HD. I'm not fan of Sony, I purchased the KDS-R50XBR1 1080P set awhile back that can't accept a 1080P input... Thanks Sony! (Doesn't really matter to me since it deinterlaces 1080i excellently, I just like to bitch) I'm just looking for a good BD player that is easily and often upgraded, relatively cheap, etc. The fact that it can stream media from my Vista Media Center is a huge bonus, as well as the built-in WiFi. My Harmony 880 can't turn on/off my Wii now anyways, so I'm not too worried about adding the PS3 into the mix. I doubt I will ever buy a PS3 game either, I'll still be playing Halo 3 until Halo 4 comes out You would definitely say that I am a Microsoft fan boy, I even work as a software engineer with primarily Microsoft technologies - by choice. The PS3 still appears to be the best value for me - so I'll take it. I don't expect it to be as bad as some claim, nor as great as others claim... We'll see, I guess.

As long as you aren't as big in the IR thing as I am you should be alright. It's really not that bad but it could have been even better and something that was an option for me if Sony hadn't stepped on their own d!cks to try to make a few more bucks. I'm sure it will serve your needs just fine.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
jeremyhelling is offline  
post #160 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The PS3 is a marvelous piece of equipment, I love mine, but it's not for everyone.

I do have a Harmony 880, and find the bluetooth remote for the PS3 to be a sort of mixed blessing. It's a pain that I have to use a separate remote, but it's a blessing in that if I want to watch something else while waiting for a game demo or video to download on the PS3 I can just mash the "watch tivo" activity button on the 880 and not worry about the PS3 shutting off during the download.

It's a pain in that anytime a button is accidentally pressed on the bt remote the PS3 turns on, even if the remote isn't pointed anywhere near the system, but it's a blessing in that I don't have to point the remote at the PS3 when I WANT to operate it.

As other's have mentioned I love that the PS3 boots and loads very quickly and never stutters or drops out (I've also got several HD DVD players and the PS3 is much more confidence inspiring).

But for a variety of reasons which are important to the OP the PS3 is not the machine for him, and that needs to be respected.

The OP asked for opinions on 3 different standalone players, the Sharp, the Sammy
1400, and the Sony 300.

I work in the electronics dept. of a large Sears store, and we carry all 3. The Sammy is slow to boot and load, and has HDMI handshake problems (perhaps having more to do with the Sammy LCD it's connected to than the player itself).

As for the Sony, we've had one 1st gen. and 2 300s as demo models, none of which worked for more than a couple of weeks before dying. Boot-up is about the same as the Sammy which is about the same as a Tosh HDA3, load time varies according to how much Java stuff there is on the disc.

Our one Sharp's been running strong for several months now, sometimes 24/7 for days at a time as the idiots on the closing shift usually forget to turn it off at night. It's running a BD demo disc that just repeats itself automatically and probably will until hell freezes over. It boots up much quicker than the Sony or Samsung, load time variable but usually faster than the others--still glacial compared to the PS3 though.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #161 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
eimajnacnud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Wait, what, sorry, you mean he wan't talking about a PS3 then?

Mine's never seen a game, and never will. It matches the same critera....

Seggers

Never seen a game? Man, you are missing out. Some really amazing games for everyone.
eimajnacnud is offline  
post #162 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tqlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibbs View Post

Good thread for the most part, thanks for posting it OP. I'm about to purchase a PS3 with some credit card reward gift cards to CC, to replace my XBOX 360 HD-DVD add-on as my source of disc based HD. I'm not fan of Sony, I purchased the KDS-R50XBR1 1080P set awhile back that can't accept a 1080P input... Thanks Sony! (Doesn't really matter to me since it deinterlaces 1080i excellently, I just like to bitch) I'm just looking for a good BD player that is easily and often upgraded, relatively cheap, etc. The fact that it can stream media from my Vista Media Center is a huge bonus, as well as the built-in WiFi. My Harmony 880 can't turn on/off my Wii now anyways, so I'm not too worried about adding the PS3 into the mix. I doubt I will ever buy a PS3 game either, I'll still be playing Halo 3 until Halo 4 comes out You would definitely say that I am a Microsoft fan boy, I even work as a software engineer with primarily Microsoft technologies - by choice. The PS3 still appears to be the best value for me - so I'll take it. I don't expect it to be as bad as some claim, nor as great as others claim... We'll see, I guess.

If you play games... the PS3 allows you to download demos for free, who knows maybe you will find something you will like.

To you and especially the OP.... at least you guys enjoy HDM more than you hate sony =)
tqlla is offline  
post #163 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jeremyhelling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post

If you play games... the PS3 allows you to download demos for free, who knows maybe you will find something you will like.

To you and especially the OP.... at least you guys enjoy HDM more than you hate sony =)

True.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
jeremyhelling is offline  
post #164 of 170 Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Member
 
skibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post

If you play games... the PS3 allows you to download demos for free, who knows maybe you will find something you will like.

To you and especially the OP.... at least you guys enjoy HDM more than you hate sony =)

GT5 possibly, nothing else interests me so far. I already have a 360 and a Wii, but if something great like GT5 comes along I'll pick it up. I just don't expect to game much with it.
skibbs is offline  
post #165 of 170 Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
seggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WNY
Posts: 2,087
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimajnacnud View Post

Never seen a game? Man, you are missing out. Some really amazing games for everyone.

I am tempted, but I'm afraid that the anti game nah sayers that abound around here will come to my house and picket me.....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
seggers is offline  
post #166 of 170 Old 03-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
eimajnacnud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

I am tempted, but I'm afraid that the anti game nah sayers that abound around here will come to my house and picket me.....

Seggers

Forget them. They are just stuck in "I don't want a gaming console as a blu-ray player" mode. I chose the lamest colour I could find to bring the point across. Just add the whining with the colour.

The ps3 is the most versatile and best br player on the market BAR NONE!!! It gives an amazing picture and is soon to be updated with bd-live (who really cares about that crap anyway) and the holy grail of sound, DTS-HD. People just shoot down the ps3 because it is "the evil Sony corp", it is foremost a gaming machine, and they are pissed they didn't get one in the first place and can't take back there overpriced, unupgradeable, profle 1.0 br player.
eimajnacnud is offline  
post #167 of 170 Old 03-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Newbie
 
Scott78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered a PS3 from Sony. I had been leaning towards the Panasonic BD-30,
but with the free shipping, $100 credit for new Sony card users, and 12 months free financing, it seemed like too good a deal to pass up. In a year or two when the technology matures, I'll move the PS3 to my Rec Room and will probably buy a standalone player.
Scott78 is offline  
post #168 of 170 Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
anonymouse99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott78 View Post

I just ordered a PS3 from Sony. I had been leaning towards the Panasonic BD-30,
but with the free shipping, $100 credit for new Sony card users, and 12 months free financing, it seemed like too good a deal to pass up. In a year or two when the technology matures, I'll move the PS3 to my Rec Room and will probably buy a standalone player.

I was in the same boat but picked the PS3 given the additional functionality you get at this price point. I would recommend getting a PS3 remote. I got a card in my PS3 packaging that says that you get a practically free PS3 remote if you buy a couple of blu-ray movies. Also check out one of the warehouse clubs for a good deal on the PS3 remote.
anonymouse99 is offline  
post #169 of 170 Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Member
 
skibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse99 View Post

I was in the same boat but picked the PS3 given the additional functionality you get at this price point. I would recommend getting a PS3 remote. I got a card in my PS3 packaging that says that you get a practically free PS3 remote if you buy a couple of blu-ray movies. Also check out one of the warehouse clubs for a good deal on the PS3 remote.

The free remote coupon in the PS3 box deal has expired. I was pretty bummed to see that, but it's only ~$19 at Costco I think.
skibbs is offline  
post #170 of 170 Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
anonymouse99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibbs View Post

The free remote coupon in the PS3 box deal has expired. I was pretty bummed to see that, but it's only ~$19 at Costco I think.

Right, you had to get it by the end of last month! The remote is a litte cheaper than that at another warehouse
anonymouse99 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off