PS3 gets profile 2.0 (BD Live) March 26th - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 09:00 PM
CKS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how about compatibility with SE Cell phone?
can we now use cell phone to remote control PS3?

it would be nice if PS3 can forward the messages to my cell phone when I am in the game.
or even transfer contents to my cell phone, like mp3, pictures, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 124
....there will be a lot of people on this board (and many others) who will be eating crow for a very long time. Over the past 18 months I have read two separate interviews with the PS3 development people (on sites geared exclusively towards the gaming community) where they were queried on DTS-HD MA support. In both instances, the response was "it's coming". Anyone who wishes to find out what's going on behind the scenes with the PS3 should pay close attention to the various gaming sites....those are the people Sony primarily designed the console for, and those are the people they listen to the most.

Incidentally, I've noticed that it has become the norm for many posters on the AVS Forum to challenge any comments made by members which did not include a link for confirmation purposes, and to denigrate any sources they deemed "unreliable". While I can appreciate the basic idea behind this philosophy, I find it quite troubling that some are so arrogant as to challenge statements made not by so-called industry insiders on this board, but by actual company executives in the print media, such as when NHK announced that Toshiba would be abandoning HD-DVD. And even after it was indeed confirmed by the top executive at Toshiba, some disbelievers insisted it couldn't be true because "it was not up to Toshiba to make that decision...it had to come from the DVD Forum". While some may think that this irrational behavior is limited to the HDM discussions, I can attest to the fact that it is widespread throughout the AVS Forum. Some here have deluded themselves into thinking that they are the sole authority on certain topics, and resort to challenging even manufacturer's statements at every turn.

All of the negative predictions and statements made by posters regarding the PS3 have turned out to be completely baseless, so I can't help believing that those related to DTS-HD MA are just as unfounded. Sony has come through in the past as far as updates to the PS3 are concerned, and I don't see any reason why they would not continue to do so. The device is basically a computer and if computers can emulate an entire operating system, then decoding an audio stream (no matter how complex) cannot be that difficult. Especially considering what the Cell processor is already capable of doing.
post #93 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte747e View Post

Hooray 2.0 Profile!!!!

First of all, wow I didn't realize that it was as much as 20% that have MA tracks as only lossless audio track. My AV receiver will decode all of them, so I'd like to have it (though i understand it would be via PCM anyways).

Which brings me to my question...If my AVR is HDMI 1.3 and will decode all of the audio tracks (Denon 3808), what should I have my PS3 set to? Is it Bitstream? With Bitstream, don't I lose some of the other audio tracks? I have read some other threads, but I have been a little confused by this. Thanks for your help.

For HDMI set your PS3 to LPCM when listening to True-HD, for everything else use bitstream.
post #94 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This one means that Sony is tactically pushing us to buy a PSP.

Blu-ray : 340
post #95 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

This one means that Sony is tactically pushing us to buy a PSP.

lol... Sony isn't forcing us to buy a PSP to gain a function they are just enhancing the already existing relationship between the PSP and PS3.

It's a slick move by Sony. They just made both products more attractive with a single update.
post #96 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I am willing to pay $100 to Sony for the DTS-HD/MA upgrade if Sony offers it before End Of April 2008(EOA) . Yes, I am serious.
$0 after that . How many of you would?
Maybe sony would take this seriously.
post #97 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Yea well...there is nothing in the press release for sw ver 2.20 profile 2.0 that says anything about dts-ma, absolutely nothing. Show us where they say officially it will be enabled.
post #98 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 11:15 PM

Official Press Release from SONY on this:
http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/460
post #99 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

....there will be a lot of people on this board (and many others) who will be eating crow for a very long time. Over the past 18 months I have read two separate interviews with the PS3 development people (on sites geared exclusively towards the gaming community) where they were queried on DTS-HD MA support. In both instances, the response was "it's coming". Anyone who wishes to find out what's going on behind the scenes with the PS3 should pay close attention to the various gaming sites....those are the people Sony primarily designed the console for, and those are the people they listen to the most.

Incidentally, I've noticed that it has become the norm for many posters on the AVS Forum to challenge any comments made by members which did not include a link for confirmation purposes, and to denigrate any sources they deemed "unreliable". While I can appreciate the basic idea behind this philosophy, I find it quite troubling that some are so arrogant as to challenge statements made not by so-called industry insiders on this board, but by actual company executives in the print media, such as when NHK announced that Toshiba would be abandoning HD-DVD. And even after it was indeed confirmed by the top executive at Toshiba, some disbelievers insisted it couldn't be true because "it was not up to Toshiba to make that decision...it had to come from the DVD Forum". While some may think that this irrational behavior is limited to the HDM discussions, I can attest to the fact that it is widespread throughout the AVS Forum. Some here have deluded themselves into thinking that they are the sole authority on certain topics, and resort to challenging even manufacturer's statements at every turn.

All of the negative predictions and statements made by posters regarding the PS3 have turned out to be completely baseless, so I can't help believing that those related to DTS-HD MA are just as unfounded. Sony has come through in the past as far as updates to the PS3 are concerned, and I don't see any reason why they would not continue to do so. The device is basically a computer and if computers can emulate an entire operating system, then decoding an audio stream (no matter how complex) cannot be that difficult. Especially considering what the Cell processor is already capable of doing.

Post of the year! Say no more.
post #100 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse99 View Post

I have been following some of the PS3 threads and curious to understand why many people believe/think that "DTS-HD MA" firmware updates will be made available in future? I mean, if Sony folks wanted to, they could have bundled that option with today's 2.0 profile update. They didn't - is there a specific announcement that indicates that they will for sure offer a "DTS-HD MA" update? Thanks

I'm sure Sony could have bundled all sorts of things in with this update if they only had unlimited time, money, and manpower to throw at firmware development. Unfortunately real life doesn't work that way and they have to budget and prioritise like every other business on the planet,

Format Apathetic
post #101 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Post of the year! Say no more.

+1. Nailed it.

Blu-ray : 340
post #102 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKS View Post

how about compatibility with SE Cell phone?
can we now use cell phone to remote control PS3?

it would be nice if PS3 can forward the messages to my cell phone when I am in the game.
or even transfer contents to my cell phone, like mp3, pictures, etc.

I'd love the interact with the PS3 via my iPhone. Never happen though. At least not officially from Sony.

Banned from the pub
post #103 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hooray 2.0 Profile!!!!

First of all, wow I didn't realize that it was as much as 20% that have MA tracks as only lossless audio track. My AV receiver will decode all of them, so I'd like to have it (though i understand it would be via PCM anyways).

Which brings me to my question...If my AVR is HDMI 1.3 and will decode all of the audio tracks (Denon 3808), what should I have my PS3 set to? Is it Bitstream? With Bitstream, don't I lose some of the other audio tracks? I have read some other threads, but I have been a little confused by this. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post

For HDMI set your PS3 to LPCM when listening to True-HD, for everything else use bitstream.

Or just leave your PS3 set to PCM over HDMI. Onkyos and a few others seem to apply extra processing to the bitstream, I'm not sure about Dennon. The best way right now to find out is to play a movie with TrueHD and switch back and forth between the bitstream option and PCM option while the movie is playing, see if they sound the same or if one sounds better over the other. You can switch by pressing the triangle button to bring a PS3 menu during the movie.

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #104 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your writing this very nice paragraphs of yours have already claimed yourself the PS3 authority typical AVS forum believe it or not. All folks on this forum who come here and post act like they are the authority for all based on what they have BOUGHT not what they have READ or SEEN. WE (avs members) always CHALLENGE those who post because it goes against the grain of what we BOUGHT and we will argue it. Its like SONY claimin(resisitance fall of man) it needed blu ray at 30gb to make the game when in reality it was alot less and could of fitted on dvd if it didnt include the FLUFFERS.
post #105 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hooray 2.0 Profile!!!!

By your gear you selection it goes without saying you care about quality.
Never use bitstream, instead select PCM over HDMI.
I use Tversity to serve files to both the PS3 and the Denon 3808 from my PCs hard disk.
As big of a fan as I am for the PS3 (The Greatest Audio/Video Component of all Time) it still transcodes (this is a dirty word) all Ethernet sources to 48KHz. So ripped CDs sent over Ethernet are fatality degraded as the soundstage goes to pieces.

For the Denon make certain that its display has "PCM" lite-up and not "MP3".
Do this by turning off Tversity's transcoding setting of "transcode only when necessary" to no transcoding. This is a bug which needs to be fixed.
post #106 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my post probebly drowning between all the DTS-MA talks, I'd rather have a firmwire update that enables 2:2 or 3:3 pulldown so that it can do 48Hz, 72Hz or 120Hz function. This would be nice for the display owners that can only output 720p and can't benefit from the 24hz option, wich in my opinion is a big farce.

I'm even stunned that I read so few complaints of 720p display owners here that have problems with a judder during BD viewing because of the 24hz framerate. Unfortionatly most 720p displays only do 2:3 pulldown wich causes a judder. watching a movie 2 hours long like this hurts my eyes. It's almost as iritating sometimes as the rainbow effect with cheap DLP.

I think we should cry out to Sony for them to release a 48Hz option for people with displays that don't support 24Hz. It shouldn't be any problem for sony to do.

anyone think the same?

Display: Optoma HD70
Player: PS3
Receiver: Pioneer 1015
Fronts / surrounds: SVS SBS-01
Centre: SVS SCS-01
Sub: SVS PC13 Ultra
post #107 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB72 View Post

I'd love the interact with the PS3 via my iPhone. Never happen though. At least not officially from Sony.

I would love iphone to interact with MMS, have basic filter for email, have flash support, better voice quality, radio, better speaker, full bluetooth support with phonebook transfer, file transfer, etc, you know, all that $1 phones do already.

PS3 interaction is realy the last thing on my mind as iphone user.

Panasonic 50PV70 Plasma - Sony Bravia KDF-E50A10 - Sony PS3 - Pioneer NS-DV990 - BSky HD -
post #108 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post

Horshack?

No, "Car 54, Where Are You?"

Aimez-vous basketball?
post #109 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:06 AM

I was thinking of getting an iPod Touch, but if the PSP has a good browser and this new feature.....

Aimez-vous basketball?
post #110 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kami View Post

Honestly why would you ever buy a standalone? The PS3 is great and DTS HD is only a matter of time.

After dozens of firmware updates, the PS3 still can't do what a $49 upscaling DVD player can do: Put out simultaneous composite video and high-resolution video (via HDMI in this case). Despite having two video outputs and two audio outputs to go with them, Sony hobbles the player so it can't be connected to two video monitors for simultaneous use. This feature has obvious functionality, which is why it is included in so many bargain-basement players.

So an open letter to Sony- Now that you are adding "advanced features" to your premier system, such as the ability to re-start a BD after its been removed, try adding the ability to get simultaneous video and audio from the two video/audio outputs that are included with the system.
post #111 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocktheglide View Post

Your writing this very nice paragraphs of yours have already claimed yourself the PS3 authority typical AVS forum believe it or not. All folks on this forum who come here and post act like they are the authority for all based on what they have BOUGHT not what they have READ or SEEN. WE (avs members) always CHALLENGE those who post because it goes against the grain of what we BOUGHT and we will argue it. Its like SONY claimin(resisitance fall of man) it needed blu ray at 30gb to make the game when in reality it was alot less and could of fitted on dvd if it didnt include the FLUFFERS.

+1000000000

Not every one bows down to the overlords
post #112 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

+1000000000

Not every one bows down to the overlords

There's nothing wrong with challenging information, however, it appears that there is some after effect of the format war in play here.

DTS MA has been all but confirmed in a press release (Penton among others) and considering that every single piece of information he has released for the last year has been 100% accurate, I'll say it now..

DTS MA on the PS3 , well , that's something you can take to the bank.
post #113 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:16 AM

Penton-Man has already said that DTS-MA is coming in the next few months. That is about as good as gold. Just be patient.
post #114 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarDee View Post

I was thinking of getting an iPod Touch, but if the PSP has a good browser and this new feature.....

I have a new PSP (silver slim), and I bought my wife an iPhone, so of course I am an authority on both.

I love the PSP and use it basically all day long, internet radio, videos from my TiVo or ripped DVDs, mp3s, and of course the gaming (patapon). I also use the remote play occasionally, but it is really just kind of something to play with.

The browser on the PSP, is not as good as the browser on the iphone, text entry is miles behind on the PSP, and it just isn't as easy to use.

I will often use the iphone instead of bothering to walk to use a computer for the internet, I would never choose to do that with the PSP.

Just to be clear, I love my PSP and the PS3 integration is one of the many reasons I bought it, but the browser is clearly not.
post #115 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:

....All of the negative predictions and statements made by posters regarding the PS3 have turned out to be completely baseless, so I can't help believing that those related to DTS-HD MA are just as unfounded. Sony has come through in the past as far as updates to the PS3 are concerned, and I don't see any reason why they would not continue to do so. The device is basically a computer and if computers can emulate an entire operating system, then decoding an audio stream (no matter how complex) cannot be that difficult. Especially considering what the Cell processor is already capable of doing.

Seems like I remember that being the excuse for all the bugs and slowness in my A1... Hmm, maybe not.
post #116 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo2176 View Post

There's nothing wrong with challenging information, however, it appears that there is some after effect of the format war in play here.

DTS MA has been all but confirmed in a press release (Penton among others) and considering that every single piece of information he has released for the last year has been 100% accurate, I'll say it now..

I am optimistic that it will come to the PS3, based on comments by Penton and others, but I am not going to have my feelings hurt if it never comes to fruition.

But I have noticed that this seems to be the only talking point that some people have left. (not talking about xylon by the way)

I expect to see claims that it is never coming, and a critical feature, daily until it is actually released. When that happens it will no longer be a critical feature, and not necessary at all.
post #117 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I really don't care about DTS-MA . . . no big deal for me. I can live with PCM or Dolby TruHD.
post #118 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

I really don't care about DTS-MA . . . no big deal for me. I can live with PCM or Dolby TruHD.

Agree, unfortunately the problem is that the Fox titles ocming with DTS-MA don't have other lossless tracks on them.

So in those cases it is DTS-HDMA or no lossles.
post #119 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo2176 View Post

^^

post #120 of 177 Old 03-21-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag'nGT View Post

SKEET!!!!!

I love it. I knew something was happening after that last Bluray survey they sent out last week. Now the system needs some more games to continue to silence the 360 fanboys.

That might have been true last year, but I don't think it can possibly be considered true now. There are tons of good games for the PS3. In fact, I played and enjoyed more good games in the first year of owning the PS3 than I did in the first year of owning the Xbox 360. The first year or so of the PS3's life cycle I played:

Resistance: Fall of Man, Motor Storm, Warhawk, Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Skate, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Heavenly Sword, Virtua Fighter 5, Call of Duty 4, Ratchet & Clank: Future, The Darkness, Folklore, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Unreal Tournament III, Devil May Cry 4.

What did we get to play on the Xbox 360 the first year? Not nearly as much, in my opinion. I played:

Perfect Dark Zero (Resistance was definitely better), Call of Duty 2 (not as good as Call of Duty 4), Project Gotham Racing 3 (pretty good), Oblivion (really good, but also available on PS3 during its first year), Dead or Alive 4, Dead Rising, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, and Gears of War.

So I definitely feel the PS3 had a better line-up the first year than the Xbox 360 did. Does the 360 have more games overall? Yes, of course. But it has been out nearly twice as long. What did people expect, that the PS3 was going to come out and instantly have as many games as the 360?

To be honest, I am actually a little surprised by how many high-quality titles we got for the PS3 in the first year. Neither the Wii nor the Xbox 360 got so many good games in their first year (in my opinion of course). And any objective observer would have to admit that the PS3 has more exclusives coming out in 2008 than the Xbox 360, not to mention all the awesome multi-platform titles that will be available on both consoles.

The PS3 in 2008 has:
Grand Turismo 5
Infamous
LittleBigPlanet
Disgaea 3
Motor Storm 2
Haze
Metal Gear Solid 4
Hot Shots Golf 5
Heavy Rain
The Agency
Sing Star
Buzz!
Socom: Confrontation
Tekken 6
Resistance 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Killzone 2

The 360 in 2008 has:
Fable 2
Splinter Cell 5: Conviction
Gears of War 2
Too Human
Command and Conquer 3
Culdcept Saga
Left 4 Dead
Halo Wars
Spectral Force 3
Alan Wake
Ninja Gaiden 2

There are probably a few more obscure exclusives for both consoles but these are the ones I could dig up. We can also probably expect a few surprise 2008 exclusives to be announced for each console. In any case, it is easy to see that the "PS3 has no games" argument has no basis in fact. This myth is mostly spread by Xbox fanboys who have never touched a PS3 in their life (and those who mistakenly buy into this myth).

Anyway, I appologize for making such a long post on a subject other than that of the original post. And I know that you meant no harm by it. It's just that I still see this myth floating around the net with some frequency and I just felt like pointing out how good the PS3 is actually doing in the games department.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page