post #151 of 177 Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

Have they fixed the problem with lack of force feedback on driving sims?

I have a Logitech wheel and didn't have a problem with FF playing the GT5 demo or the Nascar 08 demo.

Pics from my TV here and here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 177 Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post

Heck, I might just buy a PSP to try this out!

same here... in fact, that's exactly what i did! picked up a PSP in october, 2007, to use as a remote for my music on the PS3... unfortunately, the functionality wasn't there. it's been sitting in my drawer since then... however, after pinging sony a few times with the request and a few months later, i can finally dust off the PSP! really looking forward to this feature.
post #153 of 177 Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian View Post

Firmware is now LIVE!

sweet mother! i was busy reading these threads i didn't notice! thanks for the heads up!!! time to play with the new remote functionality!
post #154 of 177 Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian View Post

Firmware is now LIVE!

Thanks for the heads up. My PS3 is now Profile 2.0 capable.
post #155 of 177 Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 PM

woot woot, still no DTS!
post #156 of 177 Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM

I'll update as soon as the movie I'm playing (The Invisible) finishes!

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3
SVS 25-31CS+
post #157 of 177 Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 PM

This update is amazing, the browser is lighting fast. I always just assumed that pages loaded as fast as my connection allowed on my pc. I was wrong, the ps3 now loads pages instantly, it is my computer that is the weak link in web browsing now.

The psp support is awesome. The psp makes a great remote to play music with now. Since i have multi zone capablitly, i can now sit in my office and scroll through all the music on my ps3. Not to mention i can make photo and music playlists on either the ps3 or psp interchangably.
post #158 of 177 Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded the update. Count me as someone who is underwhelmed. I still have hundreds of video files that the PS3 will not play.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #159 of 177 Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 PM

Liked: 18
I can now play my large AVI files, but there is a minor bug. The video length is incorrect. For example, I have a 1:06 length video that the PS2 says is 2:20 long. It plays fine though.
post #160 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 10:56 AM

Please forgive my noobish, too lazy to look elsewhere, tangent question, but does the PS3 have a fully functional web browser? Is it able to be controlled with KB and mouse?
post #161 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Schell View Post

A stand alone player that can bitstream is important.

bitstreaming is important to a fraction of the fraction of people who are interested in HDM. so no, it's really not that important.
post #162 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceperson View Post

bitstreaming is important to a fraction of the fraction of people who are interested in HDM. so no, it's really not that important.

I agree. Why is it important? Decoding or bitstreaming is important. For me, decoding is. For those with HDMI 1.3 receivers, either will yield the same result. Right? I guess DTS HD MA decoding is not there yet but here's one for hoping it will be soon!

Pat
post #163 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Center of the Universe Syndrome. Something isn't important to you so it must not be important at all.

The real fact is, high resolution audio is very important to many of the people interested in HD disc media. Bitstreaming is STILL the only way to get full res DTS Master audio, and is arguably the best way to get all hi-res formats.
post #164 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadbury8 View Post

Its not as good as surfing with a computer but it does work. it has a couple of issues. you can use a keyboard and mouse with it though without any problems. i used a usb mouse and keyboard i had laying around and they worked fine. there are just so many varialbles on the net with web pages that not everything is going to work like it should. for instance coming to this site i have to go into it under the forums tab first or i wont be able to read the threads. it just ends up putting me in an endless loop. i opened a site that had a video on it and the ps3 decided it wasnt going to play the video but just download it to a folder. so i viewed it later.

Is hotmail.com one of the web pages with problems? I can't seem to be able to check my email, the system keeps telling me to enable cookies. Is there a run around I don't know about (other than using a different OS such as Yellow Dog which I already know allows me to check my hotmail account)?
post #165 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post

Is hotmail.com one of the web pages with problems? I can't seem to be able to check my email, the system keeps telling me to enable cookies. Is there a run around I don't know about (other than using a different OS such as Yellow Dog which I already know allows me to check my hotmail account)?

There is a cookies enable/disable option in the browser tools menu. Have you checked that?

Manual

Aimez-vous basketball?
post #166 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

Bitstreaming is STILL the only way to get full res DTS Master audio, and is arguably the best way to get all hi-res formats.

"arguably" being the key word in that sentence.

post #167 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Center of the Universe Syndrome. Something isn't important to you so it must not be important at all.

The real fact is, high resolution audio is very important to many of the people interested in HD disc media. Bitstreaming is STILL the only way to get full res DTS Master audio, and is arguably the best way to get all hi-res formats.

Well, acording to the folks at DTS, you are incorrect on the above statement. Players can decode and pass thru the LPCM with no loss in audio vs. bitstream!
post #168 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Center of the Universe Syndrome. Something is important to you so it must be important to all...
post #169 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Bitstreaming is STILL the only way to get full res DTS Master audio, and is arguably the best way to get all hi-res formats.

Utter nonsense. Internal decoding is every bit as good as bitstreaming.
post #170 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Could someone answer some basic questions re the PS3 with the Profile 2.0 update, in comparison with other options? - Although I'm interested in getting a BR player with decent (not necessarily the greatest) video, I do want one with the capability to play the advanced audio codexes, including Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, and also with at least the option of being upgraded to play DTS-HD MA. Most of the 2.0 features, such as PIP, bonus scenes, game connections, remote play capabilities, etc., aren't of much importance to me, but both audio quality and versatility are.

From that perspective, and assuming that I will have an HDMI 1.3 receiver or pre-pro that decodes and processes the new audo codexes, which mid-priced BD players ($350 - $600) should I be looking at? I have been advised that the PS3 units that DID have good audio capabilities, including SACD audio (the 60GB and 80GB models) are no longer available. - Is this so, and if so, why, and do the Profile 2.0 units again have those capabilities? (If not, will future PS3s have the 80GB memory apparently needed for the lossless audio codexes and "deep black" video capabilities? )

If I have one of the new HDMI 1.3 AVRs with multiple decoding capabilities, do I need a player that has internal decoding for all the codexes, assuming I want good quality 7.1 audio? Again, would the PS3 be a good choice?

Do the current PS3s again have the capability of playing SACDs, and can they output MC SACD in DSD format via HDMI (probably not) or in PCM format?

Thanks for any advice, corrections, or suggestions.

Jim Cate
post #171 of 177 Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Could someone answer some basic questions re the PS3 with the Profile 2.0 update, in comparison with other options?

All PS3 models have identical audio processing and output capabilities. The big deal from your perspective is that SACD requires specialized hardware in the drive's optical pickup to deal with the format's copy protection, and the 40GB models lack this special hardware. They'll never be able to play SACDs.

So far, the PS3 relies on internal decoding and multi-channel PCM output for all "advanced" audio formats including SACD. Most HDMI 1.1 receivers support 7.1 PCM over HDMI and make a good match (and of course HDMI 1.3 receivers cover this ground well.) You don't need internal decoding, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

(As an aside, the term is "codec" as an abbreviation of COmpression/DECompression. While "codex" is a word it means something completely different.)
post #172 of 177 Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could someone answer some basic questions re the PS3 with the Profile 2.0 update, in comparison with other options?

As far as being a Blu-ray player is concerned, all PS3s are the same. The differences between models are things like card reader/no card reader, SACD/no SACD, smallish hard drive/largish hard drive. There are other differences, but none that have to do with the Blu-ray capabilities.

post #173 of 177 Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 AM

Any news on the PlayTv release? As for me the top three things that would make the PS3 an outstanding mediabox is:

1. Regionfree for DVD
2. Add codecs
3. PlayTV with pay TV card reader

Så säger Editman!
post #174 of 177 Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAdept View Post

All PS3 models have identical audio processing and output capabilities. The big deal from your perspective is that SACD requires specialized hardware in the drive's optical pickup to deal with the format's copy protection, and the 40GB models lack this special hardware. They'll never be able to play SACDs.

So far, the PS3 relies on internal decoding and multi-channel PCM output for all "advanced" audio formats including SACD. Most HDMI 1.1 receivers support 7.1 PCM over HDMI and make a good match (and of course HDMI 1.3 receivers cover this ground well.) You don't need internal decoding, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

(As an aside, the term is "codec" as an abbreviation of COmpression/DECompression. While "codex" is a word it means something completely different.)

Thanks. Is it correct that only the 60GB and 80GB PS3's could play SACDs, and that these models are no longer being produced? Or do the newer models also have this capability?

Regarding your remarks about the internal decoding of codecs in the PS3, is the lack of compatibility with particular codecs, such as DTS-HD MA, something that might be "cured" in the future with a firmware or software upgrade, or is it fixed in the hardware design?

I'm one of the HD-DVD to BluRay converts, having bought an A35 only a few months ago, so I'm now having to learn the basics of BR from the beginning. The A35 has beautiful surround audio even on analog, and I would like to get the same quality audo with a BR player.

Incidentally, since posting the original note I found the discussion specifically related to BR audio issues. Sorry if this is off topic, and I'll follow that discussion in the future.

Jim
post #175 of 177 Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarDee View Post

There is a cookies enable/disable option in the browser tools menu. Have you checked that?

Manual

Yes, I have, and unless I'm doing something wrong, cookies are enabled.
post #176 of 177 Old 03-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. Is it correct that only the 60GB and 80GB PS3's could play SACDs, and that these models are no longer being produced? Or do the newer models also have this capability?

Regarding your remarks about the internal decoding of codecs in the PS3, is the lack of compatibility with particular codecs, such as DTS-HD MA, something that might be "cured" in the future with a firmware or software upgrade, or is it fixed in the hardware design?

I'm one of the HD-DVD to BluRay converts, having bought an A35 only a few months ago, so I'm now having to learn the basics of BR from the beginning. The A35 has beautiful surround audio even on analog, and I would like to get the same quality audo with a BR player.

Incidentally, since posting the original note I found the discussion specifically related to BR audio issues. Sorry if this is off topic, and I'll follow that discussion in the future.

Jim

Jim, welcome to the PS3!

To give you a non-answer to your question, there is a lot of speculation about whether or not the PS3 will get a firmware update to allow it to internally decode DTS-HD:MA. I happen to be in the later this Summer camp.

Assuming you have an HDMI AVR, then you will definitely be able to enjoy lossless audio from the PS3. In order to get the lossless audio out, the PS3 will have to do the decoding and therefore be set to PCM mode when playing True-HD. You won't see the True-HD or HD:MA lights on your AVR because the PS3 is doing the decoding.

I'm sure the audio thread will be a great resource for you. Best of luck.
post #177 of 177 Old 04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

Thank you. With several people voting it the post of the year, I was beginning to think I was the only on that thought it was the most egotistical post of the year. Rudy1 said it is so without posting any proof so it must be and we all need to shut up about it because what Rudy says is bond. It reminds me of how the "insiders" are protected around here on certain topics where the mods have deemed their word is fact, even though the insiders are the ones with the biggest agendas to push. If and when Sony offers DTS-HD-MA decoding on the PS3, I will definately give them credit as I did when they included upscaling.

Obviously the PS3 is the most full featured player available with this update and I'm not taking anything away from that. My only issue really was of the mention that Sony was purposefully holding off on DTS-HD-MA to "share the wealth" with it's CE competitors. Sorry, good or bad, it's not "Sonystyle" to do such a thing and the introduction of the PS3 to being the 1st 2.0 compliant player available just compounds that arguement.

I hope you'll think twice next time before insulting someone you don't even know:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1017682
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page