PS3 gets profile 2.0 (BD Live) March 26th - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interactive Movies Come to Life on PLAYSTATION®3 with System Software Update Version 2.20
Downloadable Movie Content and Interactive Games, available with BD-LIVE PS3's Interoperability with PSP(PlayStation®Portable) Enhanced

London, 20th March 2008 - Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that system software update v.2.20, for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3), planned for release in late March, will add Blu-ray Disc (BD) Profile 2.0 (known as BD-LIVE). With the ability to take full advantage of interactive features, such as downloadable video content, ringtones, games, and more, BD-LIVE promises to offer PS3 users the ultimate interactive film experience. In addition to BD-LIVE, the system software update will enable photo and music playlists on a PS3 to be copied to a PSP(PlayStation®Portable), as well as other new features.

To access Blu-ray Profile 2.0, users require an Internet connection and at least 1GB of local storage. Movies with BD-LIVE are scheduled for release next month.

The following features have been demonstrated to be possible with BD-LIVE and will vary depending on the title:

· A variety of downloadable content, including bonus scenes, shorts, trailers, subtitles, ringtones that can be sent to mobile phones, images, and more.

· Interactive movie-based games can pit players who are sitting in the same room, or are across the world and online, against each other.

In addition to BD-LIVE, system software update v.2.20 enhances PS3's relationship with PSP, enabling users to copy their favourite music and photo playlists to their PSP and experience them on-the-go. This new functionality makes it easer than ever to share media content between the two systems.

The following new features will also be included in the system software update:

· Resume play will enable PS3 to start playing a BD and DVD video at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.*1

· Audio Output Device will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.

· PS3's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.

· DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.

· Mosquito Noise Reduction will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.*2

*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.

*2 BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.

- ends -

this one is apparently not going to include DTS-HD decoding, but that will come some time after according to Pentonman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
DTS MA and game over.

That is some nice additional features list. Mainly movie based and for BD and DVD playback.

There is your Easter Egg.
post #3 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 02:40 AM

This announcement is also on the official Playstation blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...d-live-to-ps3/

Oddly enough the blog says this firmware will be released in "a few days." Here's hoping "few" is sooner than the 26th.
post #4 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 03:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Nice little update. Thanks Sony.
post #5 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Sounds like a great update. I hope they include DTS MA. It is interesting that they
will now have Mosquito noise reduction. I just wonder when we will get a stand alone Blu-Ray player at this price with all these features.
post #6 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The FW does not include DTS-MA from the couple things I read. Please - no whining about DTS-MA and cause the thread to die like the the others. DTS-MA decode will be here when it arives.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #7 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
*resists complaining about how useless BD-Live is without the software to back it up, with a stack of Fox titles staring at him...*
post #8 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

“Resume play” will enable PS3 to start playing a BD and DVD video at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.

*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.

What percentage of Blu-ray titles are BD-J formatted ?

Blu-ray : 340
post #9 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 05:24 AM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm happy to see they lifted the 2gig limit on DivX and wmv files.

I hope they increased compatibility of them as well. Wmv with wma-pro audio support would be most welcome.

Good update for us movie fans.

-David
post #10 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 AM

+1
post #11 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Where's the firmware update to enable the hidden IR feature?

I just love that this thing keeps getting better! What a great bargain (even at $400).
post #12 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 05:37 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

What percentage of Blu-ray titles are BD-J formatted ?

I don't believe there are any figures on this, though earlier releases will tend to have less to no BD-J affecting resume from stop while later (and forthcoming) releases will tend to have more BD-J as they're endowed with PiP and other features so beloved by some buyers.
post #13 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 05:53 AM

A truly awesome update, the PS3 just keeps getting better and better. Profile 2.0 and "resume playback" are most welcome. I'm not sure how it works or what it is but the "mosquito noise reduction" sounds potentially good as well.

I purchased the PS3 for Blu-ray and DVD playback/upconversion, it's nice to see that Sony is committed to improving these capabilities, and not just the gaming side of things.
post #14 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 AM

ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh.

Aimez-vous basketball?
post #15 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

*resists complaining about how useless BD-Live is without the software to back it up, with a stack of Fox titles staring at him...*

Walk Hard appears to be the first (or one of the first).

So if you really want to experience BD-Live asap go ahead and preorder or bump it to the top of your queue.
post #16 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like the PS3 is going to stay ahead of the BD Player competition yet again. Nice job Sony.
post #17 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The 'resume play' function will be nice!

PSN: DaveS78
post #18 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Honestly why would you ever buy a standalone? The PS3 is great and DTS HD is only a matter of time.
post #19 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 07:59 AM

I must say that I'm luving my PS3 more and more
post #20 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 AM

The difference between the reactions of the AV people and the gaming people when it comes to updates is interesting. Most of the AV folks are happy to see updates. While there is a vocal group of gamers that are annoyed by updates. Crazy. The way I see it, even if you don't think you're going to take advantage of a particular update, Sony is still adding capabilities to something you bought - for free. And you never know when you might actually use the new feature.
post #21 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
would this allow power off resume too?
post #22 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdu View Post

The difference between the reactions of the AV people and the gaming people when it comes to updates is interesting. Most of the AV folks are happy to see updates. While there is a vocal group of gamers that are annoyed by updates. Crazy. The way I see it, even if you don't think you're going to take advantage of a particular update, Sony is still adding capabilities to something you bought - for free. And you never know when you might actually use the new feature.

At least the gaming section here is very happy about the update... of course, we/they most likely qualify in both AV and Gaming categories.

You still make a good point: It's a maturing product with OEM support that keeps getting better.
post #23 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 AM

Great news. Somewhat related I have wireless network at home. I use a d-link router with the ps3 hardwired to it via ethernet, and a 360 hard wired via ethernet as well. I have a media extender and winamp remote on my computer. When I try to watch videos from my HDD it always loses connection or a DLNA? error. I very rarely have issues with the 360 streaming-it works great. But my ps3 which technically should be better always cuts out on me. Is there a setting or something I can do to fix this? I have disabled my firewall and have enabled sharing with the winamp remote on my laptop. I do have Vista home premium so Iam sure that has some to do with it-but again the xbox works fine-it just wont play as many files as the ps3 will.
post #24 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:

That's an important thing to note.. Not everybody adds new functionality to a platform they already sold you... 'Look at apple. Everything new is always an additional buck for them..
post #25 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 AM

Well, I guess I gotta buy a god-darn PS3 one of these days.
post #26 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 08:47 AM

Can someone collect all the posts saying this would never happen so we can definitively tag the anti-Sony virals?
post #27 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 AM

So, is DTS-HD pretty much the only thing left on the AV Enthusiast wish list? And if so, is it one of those things that's just enough of a technological hurdle that we may never see it, or is it pretty much an inevitability?
post #28 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I hope dts mhd follows
post #29 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

gamers tend to worry that features that have been exploited in one way or another will be removed in new firmwares, hence the angst when they arrive.
post #30 of 177 Old 03-20-2008, 09:12 AM

"Audio Output Device” will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.

This one sounds very cool. If it is what it sounds like, you could use a PSP as a remote control to play music without having to turn on a display device connected to the PS3. This would be useful for me if it also worked for streamed music from a media server.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page