Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 581 Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

I wasn't too happy with the fact that UPS charged me 33 dollars in duty and GST, though. I'm going to have to call them to find out why that happened (a small brokerage fee I can understand, but 33 dollars on a 70 dollar product seems high).

Brokerage fees aren't directly linked to the price of the product. You're paying the broker for their time to process your package. Yes, carriers like UPS and FedEx charge insane brokerage fees, but your charge is unfortunately normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 581 Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

I could be wrong, but I don't recall making a choice. I only recall the system saying it would be shipped "UPS Ground To Canada". If there was an option to change the shipping, I didn't notice it.

I think that its a toss of the dice either way, though. Sometimes you get hit with charges like this, sometimes you don't. I don't particulary object to the charge, I just object to the amount; it seems like customs must have misunderstood the origin of the package or something.

Anyway, I just want to make a point of saying that my experience is just that; mine. Others may have had better luck. I don't think it was anything to do with the person who shipped it (they did they're part, promptly and efficiently). I think customs just decided to go to town on me.

Just checked my order and it states:

"United States Postal Service (0.80lbs) (priority Mail International 6-10 days))"

I had no other options when I ordered. BTW this is not a complaint about the seller but about our supposed Free Trade laws between the US and Canada

I will let you know what my experience is when I get the device.

Thanks,
post #93 of 581 Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I plan on getting the IR2BT for my Harmony 670 remote, but have one concern... I want the PS3 to power up when I select that function to switch from watching TV or using my computer. That's not a problem.

However sometimes I like to switch back to watching TV while I pause a game on the PS3, so I wouldn't want to it to turn off automatically. Is there a way to set the Harmony so the PS3 turns on when I select that function, but waits for me to manually turn it off instead of doing it automatically when I switch to something else? Thanks!

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #94 of 581 Old 04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I plan on getting the IR2BT for my Harmony 670 remote, but have one concern... I want the PS3 to power up when I select that function to switch from watching TV or using my computer. That's not a problem.

However sometimes I like to switch back to watching TV while I pause a game on the PS3, so I wouldn't want to it to turn off automatically. Is there a way to set the Harmony so the PS3 turns on when I select that function, but waits for me to manually turn it off instead of doing it automatically when I switch to something else? Thanks!

Yes, you would set it up so that it wouldn't turn off the device when changing activities.. there's a flag in the Harmony s/w to let you do that. It's pretty straight forward.
post #95 of 581 Old 04-10-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thank you sir. I hear you can map the Home button to the remote, so it should be no problem to manually turn it off.

post #96 of 581 Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 PM

I want these to become available again so bad!!!
post #97 of 581 Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenegg View Post

I want these to become available again so bad!!!

At the rate they are filling orders hopefully they will put another 300 or so up for sale in a couple of weeks.

The best thing for you to do is register over there so you get the mass email when another pre-order goes up.

Considering the strong demand I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce from IR2BT is expanding the ability to produce these. They could probably sell several thousand of them in the next few weeks if they could produce them in those quantities.
post #98 of 581 Old 04-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

At the rate they are filling orders hopefully they will put another 300 or so up for sale in a couple of weeks.

The best thing for you to do is register over there so you get the mass email when another pre-order goes up.

Considering the strong demand I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce from IR2BT is expanding the ability to produce these. They could probably sell several thousand of them in the next few weeks if they could produce them in those quantities.

Already registered for e-mail notifications. I'm checking my e-mail way too often, hoping for more stock
post #99 of 581 Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Package got here via usps. Well packaged, in bubble wrapped with peanuts in usps box.

Its alot bigger than I thought.

This review is a non review.
Everything just works.

If you have a universal remote, and you have a ps3, this is the only solution to get. Go signup at their site, their in stock notifications is how I snagged mine.
LL
post #100 of 581 Old 04-11-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just got word that my order #235 shipped!

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #101 of 581 Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder how long the batteries will last? I only ask because my only USB port in my HT setup is already taken up by my rechaging PS3 controller (cable box). I guess I mean, would they last as long as a regular remote (drawing energy only when used), or is it always using power regardless?

post #102 of 581 Old 04-11-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wonder how long the batteries will last? I only ask because my only USB port in my HT setup is already taken up by my rechaging PS3 controller (cable box). I guess I mean, would they last as long as a regular remote (drawing energy only when used), or is it always using power regardless?

From the IR2BT forum;

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR2BT Inventer, Bruce View Post

Quite honestly, we haven't had the new design go through a set of batteries yet. But then again, we've only had the earliest boards for about a month. Obviously it can depend on the batteries used, but we calculate that it should be around 45 days between battery changes.

The USB connector is inside the battery compartment and the IR2BT contains no charging circuitry, so although you're welcome to use rechargeable batties you will not also be able to use the USB plug at the same time and thus you cannot charge them in the IR2BT.

I hope to put out a YouTube video very soon on powering up and pairing the IR2BT to your PS3 - so stay tuned.

Bruce...

post #103 of 581 Old 04-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You may also want to consider running to Walmart and buying an AC/USB power converter. They're only around $4 and that way you could still have it plugged into an outlet.
post #104 of 581 Old 04-14-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Just to keep people updated on order flow, my order - #240 - has shipped!
post #105 of 581 Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 AM

I received mine on Friday, and the thing works perfectly. SO much better than the Nyko remote! One pet peeve that has nothing to do with how well it works though: the Play' IR code is exactly the same as the IR code for my ceiling light. Every time I push play, my lights turn on or off.
post #106 of 581 Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 PM

Received the unit last week #140 and everything works well. At this point there seems to be no glitches. Works as promoted.

Thanks,
post #107 of 581 Old 04-14-2008, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

Just got word that my order #235 shipped!

#235 delivered and works as advertised. Great device..thanks

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #108 of 581 Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 PM

Liked: 11
i need this.
post #109 of 581 Old 04-17-2008, 02:51 AM

Meh i really was going all the way to go to one controller- I bought the harmony One, (300 bucks), and then read all this- it would cost 60 for the unit plus about 30 to power it- and then integrating all of it- Id ratherj ust use my 5 remotes haha.

1- for HD DVD
1- PS3 BD
1- Cable
1- Reciever
1- TV

Even after the whole thing is over- I use 3 for each app- if using HD then I use the HD remote, tv remote and reciever remote..

I think the fact that people are spending over 400 bucks for hype and supposedly convience... Its not much of a convience since oyu have to set it up- and then of course the 400 bucks comes out of the pocket - seems much more of hype to me than anything.

I ended up returning mine and buying a new center speaker
post #110 of 581 Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdvox View Post

Meh i really was going all the way to go to one controller- I bought the harmony One, (300 bucks), and then read all this- it would cost 60 for the unit plus about 30 to power it- and then integrating all of it- Id ratherj ust use my 5 remotes haha.

1- for HD DVD
1- PS3 BD
1- Cable
1- Reciever
1- TV

Even after the whole thing is over- I use 3 for each app- if using HD then I use the HD remote, tv remote and reciever remote..

I think the fact that people are spending over 400 bucks for hype and supposedly convience... Its not much of a convience since oyu have to set it up- and then of course the 400 bucks comes out of the pocket - seems much more of hype to me than anything.

Let see,

Tv
PJ
Screen
Xbox 360
Sat Box
HDMI Switch
Tosh Ep35 HD-DVD player
Receiver
HTPC

Throw in my PS3 and that's 10!! remotes I have lying around. My Harmony 885 was the best HT investment I've ever made and the cost of the IR2B is also well worth it in my book. If you've got tons of devices like me once it's all setup you'd NEVER want to go back.

Waiting on a new pre-order batch now *sigh*.
post #111 of 581 Old 04-17-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How do you figure it's $30.00 to power it?

The IR2BT order site has a USB power supply available for $4.00 that works fine (as long as you don't get a faulty one ) With shipping, mine was under $65.00 for the IR2BT plus power supply.

-D

Quote:

1- for HD DVD
1- PS3 BD
1- Cable
1- Reciever
1- TV

post #112 of 581 Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

1- for HD DVD
1- PS3 BD
1- Cable
1- Reciever
1- TV

I have;

Tivo HD
Sony TV
Yammaha Receiver
Squeezebox MP3 Player
Xbox 360
PS3
HDA1 HD-DVD player

Being able to integrate all of these with one remote is priceless. You don't need the Harmony one, there are other options available. I paid about $90 for my Harmony 880 about 18 months ago during a Dell sale. Best $90 I've ever spent, hands down.

The IR2BT keeps things at one remote which is, kind of priceless. The fact that my wife can pick up the remote and actually get all of these components to work with no help from me is saying something.
post #113 of 581 Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

1- for HD DVD
1- PS3 BD
1- Cable
1- Reciever
1- TV

This is the dumbest post of the day. I have a Pronto 7500 color remote and it controls, with ease, the following components in my HT room alone.

Sammy 57 " LCD
2 x HD Series 3 Tivos
Denon 5308CI
Toshiba XA2 HD DVD
Sony PS3
Xbox 360 Elite
Sony CD Changer
Pioneer Elite DVD Changer
Panny BD30
Vista HT PC
LG Slot Load DVD Player
HT Lights via X10
AC Via X10

14 remotes replaced with one fully automated-------- Gimme a break!--- And its wife approved!
post #114 of 581 Old 04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I have;

The IR2BT keeps things at one remote which is, kind of priceless. The fact that my wife can pick up the remote and actually get all of these components to work with no help from me is saying something.

Amen Brother ! If the wife is happy, I am happy and the cats are happy and so on and so on and so on.................................
post #115 of 581 Old 04-17-2008, 03:50 PM

Liked: 15
Amazon recently had the harmony 550 for $50 (I picked up two).
I just got my second IR2BT with their $4 usb power adapter.
It all works great and is well worth it!

As far as the harmony one goes yeah I don't think it's quite $200 better than the 550. I just can't justify that kind of money on a remote.
post #116 of 581 Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still waiting for my order to ship, but have a question for people who already have an IR2BT. How do the "discrete power off" macros work with a programmable remote? And has anybody gotten the macros to work on a URC remote like the MX-350, MX-500 or MX-650?

I keep on hearing of happy Harmony remote owners, but has anybody gotten these to work with other brand universals?
post #117 of 581 Old 04-18-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to go to the IR2BT forum, they have a forum just for URC remotes.

By the way, I use RTI remotes, and they work fine.
post #118 of 581 Old 04-18-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

I'm still waiting for my order to ship, but have a question for people who already have an IR2BT. How do the "discrete power off" macros work with a programmable remote? And has anybody gotten the macros to work on a URC remote like the MX-350, MX-500 or MX-650?

I keep on hearing of happy Harmony remote owners, but has anybody gotten these to work with other brand universals?

The best way to follow the progress would be on the ir2bt forum itself. With that said, I do not believe that their is a discrete power on and power of command because they both are initiated by the ps button. As far as the power off sequence macro, it can be different depending on which function your ps3 is currently in when you want to shut it down, which complicates the process slightly (This is a Sony thing, not the ir2bt). For the most part with the newest ps3 software you can power down from most situations with a 3 second ps button hold, then enter, then enter.

I too am a urc user (MX-800) and my software currently lacks the ability to program the 3 second hold to allow this type of macro to be automated. I am not sure if newer urc remotes have this, but mine does not. There have been other URC users that have tried to program 30 consecutive ps commands as well as repeating the hex codes over and over with little success to this point to overcome the lack of hold for 3 second command.

Again these macro only limitations are not caused by the ir2bt, it does its part flawlessly by simply converting the 52 sony commands from ir to bt. After the two minutes I spent pairing the ir2bt with my ps3, I simply forgot it was there because it is a seemless solution to converting the signal.
post #119 of 581 Old 04-18-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomike View Post

The best way to follow the progress would be on the ir2bt forum itself. With that said, I do not believe that their is a discrete power on and power of command because they both are initiated by the ps button. As far as the power off sequence macro, it can be different depending on which function your ps3 is currently in when you want to shut it down, which complicates the process slightly (This is a Sony thing, not the ir2bt). For the most part with the newest ps3 software you can power down from most situations with a 3 second ps button hold, then enter, then enter.

I too am a urc user (MX-800) and my software currently lacks the ability to program the 3 second hold to allow this type of macro to be automated. I am not sure if newer urc remotes have this, but mine does not. There have been other URC users that have tried to program 30 consecutive ps commands as well as repeating the hex codes over and over with little success to this point to overcome the lack of hold for 3 second command.

Again these macro only limitations are not caused by the ir2bt, it does its part flawlessly by simply converting the 52 sony commands from ir to bt. After the two minutes I spent pairing the ir2bt with my ps3, I simply forgot it was there because it is a seemless solution to converting the signal.

This is a total bummer. I was under the impression when I order the IR2BT that the shutdown sequence was built-in. There was lots of discussion about how the IR2BT provides "discrete power off." I wonder if I can even manually power down the PS3 with the IR2BT. Now, it seems that that only works with certain remotes. I already have a BluWave unit, so there is really little real advantage to me if all I gain is a PS button to turn the thing on.

Am I missing something. This seems like a big hole for anybody with a URC remote -- and there are lots of us. Somebody needs to document a workaround ASAP or there are going to be a lot of pissed people.
post #120 of 581 Old 04-18-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

This is a total bummer. I was under the impression when I order the IR2BT that the shutdown sequence was built-in. There was lots of discussion about how the IR2BT provides "discrete power off." I wonder if I can even manually power down the PS3 with the IR2BT. Now, it seems that that only works with certain remotes. I already have a BluWave unit, so there is really little real advantage to me if all I gain is a PS button to turn the thing on.

Am I missing something. This seems like a big hole for anybody with a URC remote -- and there are lots of us. Somebody needs to document a workaround ASAP or there are going to be a lot of pissed people.

The issue is with the PS3, not the IR2BT. The PS3 does not have discrete power off so I don't see any way that the IR2BT can emulate discrete power off capability. The IR2BT has no way to know whether the PS3 is on or off or what mode it is in, the PS3 requires different shut down and start up sequences in a few special cases, so it is impossible for an IR->BT converter to figure all of this out.

For the record, I have watched a dozen BDs with the Harmony->IR2BT->PS3 combination and it has worked flawlessly, powering up/down my PS3 and working all of the advanced PS3 DVD remote commands flawlessly and with no power lag.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Ps3 Media Blu Ray Disc Remote Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page