IR to BT Converters (yes there are 4 of them): Comparisons/User Reviews - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2008, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've overhauling my A/V setup as my 6-yo Hitachi RPTV is on the fritz. Got a Panny 58" 800U Plasma, Denon 1909 coming. Held off on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray purposely before a winner was declared. Seems the PS3 is the best choice for a Blu Ray player as you get a great game system to boot. But then I found as everyone else, it is controlled by bluetooth instead of IR. I have an MX-700 Universal Remote. It is simple for people to use, and easy to program. I don't need a fancy remote. After the stand, Denon, Panny, cables, etc., the total cost is really getting high. Can someone post a quick summary as to:

1) Whether there is a way my MX-700 can learn the IR commands or will I be forced to purchase a Harmony?

2) I see posts with all sorts of problems. I have programmed macros for my MX-700 including ones with delays, no problem. Is it going to be a pain to get all this setup and working properly even if I buy a Harmony remote?

It's really nice on these longer threads if someone once in a while sort of make a bookmark posts that summarizes all the conclusions/tips that there is a consensus on to this point so us people don't have to spend a hour reading 60 posts.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post

1) Whether there is a way my MX-700 can learn the IR commands or will I be forced to purchase a Harmony?

By a quick search of this thread, there are a few people using MX remotes without issues.
Quote:

2) I see posts with all sorts of problems. I have programmed macros for my MX-700 including ones with delays, no problem. Is it going to be a pain to get all this setup and working properly even if I buy a Harmony remote?

See answer 1, and no issues with Harmony users as most use Harmony database profiles for the PS2 commands.
Quote:

It's really nice on these longer threads if someone once in a while sort of make a bookmark posts that summarizes all the conclusions/tips that there is a consensus on to this point so us people don't have to spend a hour reading 60 posts.

Read 1rst post, find the device that seems to suite you. Search thread for your remote, device interested in (built it filter). Check out each devices own websites. Shouldn't take you that long. Compiling a list of all the remotes people use...way to much of a PITA in my opinion, just to many combinations.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
Old 09-21-2008, 03:16 PM

thanks. always forget about the search thread forum.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:38 PM

read dozen more posts, no clear answers. can some just say, if you have an mx-700, the best solution is..... thanks
Old 09-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

I can't speak for all devices and as the developer, I am of course partial to the ps3toothfairy. But there are ps3toothfairy customers who are successfully using the device with the the URC MX-850. It is likely that your remote already has the PS2 codes preprogrammed. These are the codes that the ps3toothfairy uses except poweroff which is the same as Sony DVD discrete off.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:33 PM

Can someone confirm the Nyko USB remote solution will power the PS3 OFF? I just thought about how we use our game system and DVD player. We almost always on the game system power of with the game controller. And on the DVD player you have to walk over and put the DVD in the machine. I heard the PS3 turns on when you put the DVD in and you'd need to go over and eject the game CD anyway so I'm guessing pressing eject turns it on also. So really I only need the remote to power off after watching a DVD.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 PM

It seems I've found a few reviews that do confirm Nyko does not support power off. But man, you'd think if you google ir4ps3 you'd find some sort of ordering website or just a webpage by the maker telling how to order?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Can someone confirm the Nyko USB remote solution will power the PS3 OFF? I just thought about how we use our game system and DVD player. We almost always on the game system power of with the game controller. And on the DVD player you have to walk over and put the DVD in the machine. I heard the PS3 turns on when you put the DVD in and you'd need to go over and eject the game CD anyway so I'm guessing pressing eject turns it on also. So really I only need the remote to power off after watching a DVD.

Now that SONY added power off to the user XMB menu (FW 2.4x) the Nyko and any IR remote can power off the PS3.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, I will be buying a Harmony 1000 shortly, of all the devices available, can someone tell me the best solution to work with this remote and the PS3.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Now that SONY added power off to the user XMB menu (FW 2.4x) the Nyko and any IR remote can power off the PS3.

I mentioned this in another post in PS3 forum I think.

The Nyko as it stands with a Harmony cannot power off the PS3 in all situations. This is because, while the PS3 with FW 2.4 and up can be powered off from the XMB, you need to navigate to the LHS of the XMB, go up twice and press X twice. Depending where you are in the XMB, (say playing a game), it's not possible to program enough steps in a macro to get the cursor to that point since the standard Harmony software only allows up to 6 steps in a macros and you will need 8 or more.

For example, let's say you've just finished playing a game. To power off the PS3 you need to enter

[Direction Left] 5 times
[Direction Up] twice
X twice

You can't program that into the Harmony yourself. But I contacted Harmony tech support and they added a power off command to the Nyko database that does the above so any user can access it. It will work from any location in the XMB from Play Game back.

I am pretty happy with that solution now.

Larry
Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone please help me out, I'd like an unbiased opinion on which of these 4 products to purchase (spoon feed me, please!)

Can anyone flat out say which one is the best IR to BT converter to buy.

Some of these are pretty expensive, so if I'm going to invest in one, I just want to make sure I'm buying the best one.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstead View Post

Some of these are pretty expensive, so if I'm going to invest in one, I just want to make sure I'm buying the best one.

It seems to me like the PS3IR-Pro is the best one, if only because it supports firmware upgrades and acts like the Sony BT remote. The thing that's personally keeping me away from some of the more expensive solutions is the fear that Sony will issue another firmware upgrade that kills the existing IR devices. For now, I'm going with the Nyko and hoping that Sony really does release their BR-D mega-changer sometime so my PS3 doesn't have to do that duty anymore...
Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post

It seems to me like the PS3IR-Pro is the best one, if only because it supports firmware upgrades and acts like the Sony BT remote. The thing that's personally keeping me away from some of the more expensive solutions is the fear that Sony will issue another firmware upgrade that kills the existing IR devices. For now, I'm going with the Nyko and hoping that Sony really does release their BR-D mega-changer sometime so my PS3 doesn't have to do that duty anymore...

Or get the IR4PS3, which actually uses the Sony BT remote.

I had the Nyko for less than a month... It performed about 90% of what I wanted it to do... but it couldn't turn off the PS3, and it didn't have the PS button (pull up XMB), and it seems like 1 other thing...
Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 980
IR2BT discontinued. New IR2BTci announced.

The IR2BT company has discontinued the original IR2BT model and replaced it with the new IR2BTci model sold for $150.

Details can be found in the main IR2BT thread starting with this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14995623

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM

Do IR2BT consumers still have support for the legacy model?

huh?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 AM

Wow!

Kind of makes the Schmartz PS3IR-Pro seem like a bargain now.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Well I'm sure there's warranty support. And they've now got the $5 fix program available for the PS3 firmware V2.40 issue for folks who failed to take advantage of the free fix program that ended September 30. But I doubt there will be any further updates for the old unit. Mind you, it's not at all obvious that it needs or ever will need further updates. The "fixed" original units work just fine at the moment and it is unlikely Sony will be able to break them again in future firmware without also breaking their own Blu-Ray remote control accessory.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM

The new product looks nice and all ... but wow ... $150. Starting to think a standalone blu-ray player would be the way the go.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 AM

I got the Nyko a week ago for $15 shipped from Amazon (piggybacked on a coworker's order), and I must say that being able to control the PS3 to such an extent using 3rd party hardware that costs so little is an amazing thing. I use the Logitech Harmony One along with the Nyko dongle.

No way I would spend $150 on a remote control solution for a system I spent $250 on. I have no issues turning on the system when I insert a movie or a game, and then, the system can be turned off either through the Harmony remote or through the dualshock 3 controller by navigating menus. Anyways, is the ability to turn off a system with getting up (which you have to do anyways) really worth $135 more? Is a one-button off solution really worth that much? I think these IR2BTci people are really pushing the envelope of what people are willing to pay...
Old 11-05-2008, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's funny the price jump once you go to firmware upgradeability and more user software customizations in a product. I figured greater than $55 but not more than $100 (aka the Schmartz price).

Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattor View Post

I got the Nyko a week ago for $15 shipped from Amazon (piggybacked on a coworker's order), and I must say that being able to control the PS3 to such an extent using 3rd party hardware that costs so little is an amazing thing. I use the Logitech Harmony One along with the Nyko dongle.

No way I would spend $150 on a remote control solution for a system I spent $250 on. I have no issues turning on the system when I insert a movie or a game, and then, the system can be turned off either through the Harmony remote or through the dualshock 3 controller by navigating menus. Anyways, is the ability to turn off a system with getting up (which you have to do anyways) really worth $135 more? Is a one-button off solution really worth that much? I think these IR2BTci people are really pushing the envelope of what people are willing to pay...

Amen to that. I paid $19 for the Nyko about 8 months ago. Works fine for me. And now that it I can turn off the PS3 with the Nyko and Harmony 880, the only thing I can't do is turn it on. Not sure that is worth $150 to me.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

Not sure that is worth $150 to me.

It's not to me either. But turning it on and off with macro/discreet support can be had for $89 with the ps3toothfairy or $100 with the PS3IR-PRO. I'm not sure what the price is for the IR4PS3. But I'm willing to put $90-100, for that on/off user functionality.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:20 PM

Liked: 14
so IR4PS3 only gives power on? And I'm also assuming that the logitech harmony since they have added pwrtoggle only is able to turn off the PS3 but not on with thy Nyko Bluwave IR? But does turn it on with IR4PS3?

Just checking. I have a Harmon 759 and I noticed the pwrtoggle in the latest setup menu in the logitech software.

Xbox Live: ShadyFusion23

PSN: Nukleard1sa5t0r

Old 11-05-2008, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlonewolf View Post

The new product looks nice and all ... but wow ... $150. Starting to think a standalone blu-ray player would be the way the go.

Yep,

Save the $150 to allocate to the soon, we hope to be released, oppo BDP-83 player.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb7247 View Post

so IR4PS3 only gives power on? And I'm also assuming that the logitech harmony since they have added pwrtoggle only is able to turn off the PS3 but not on with thy Nyko Bluwave IR? But does turn it on with IR4PS3?

Just checking. I have a Harmon 759 and I noticed the pwrtoggle in the latest setup menu in the logitech software.

The IR4PS3, PS3IR-PRO, and ps3toothfairy control the PS3 just like the BR remote with all commands, including turning on the PS3. The added features like the discrete off commands and macro power off strings sent from the boxes, not the remote, are why they are "better" for some users.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:19 PM

With Nyko and a Harmony 880, is the "turning off" a one-button step (ie, a macro within the Harmony software) or does it require me to navigate menus?

I think these $100 ir-to-BT solutions are pretty crazy, if I had so much money wouldn't I just buy a standalone bluray player? Why is the whole world insane?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzer73 View Post

I think these $100 ir-to-BT solutions are pretty crazy, if I had so much money wouldn't I just buy a standalone bluray player? Why is the whole world insane?

Not insane. It's just the cost to make these devices plus a markup to make a profit. Plus for all the other things a PS3 can do, a standalone just can't compete, making these product ideal for our PS3 lovers who want just one remote and no USB dongle (they also wont register as controller 1 like the USB does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzer73 View Post

With Nyko and a Harmony 880, is the "turning off" a one-button step (ie, a macro within the Harmony software) or does it require me to navigate menus?

It may wind up a one button press, if you can make a macro that will scroll all the way to the left (to the list of PS3 users) and up to the top at the turn system off action button . Not sure of the steps but someone with a Nyko can and will likely chime in here.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Not insane. It's just the cost to make these devices plus a markup to make a profit. Plus for all the other things a PS3 can do, a standalone just can't compete, making these product ideal for our PS3 lovers who want just one remote and no USB dongle (they also wont register as controller 1 like the USB does).

It may wind up a one button press, if you can make a macro that will scroll all the way to the left (to the list of PS3 users) and up to the top at the turn system off action button . Not sure of the steps but someone with a Nyko can and will likely chime in here.

No doubt, the PS3 is great for many things, and as a gamer I like to take advantage as much as possible :-) But considering I paid $280 for the PS3 itself, and $80 for my Harmony 880, it seems pretty out-of-proportion that I should pay $100 for what is essentially a $20 bluray remote melded to a $10 IR receiver. I only just got the Harmony so I'm not familiar with how powerful the macro's are. But hearing about the controller 1/usb dongle issue, looks like Nyko is pretty much out of the running for me (Games = #1, Bluray #2)
Old 11-14-2008, 03:35 AM

Hi all,

I bought a Harmony 1000, and a PS3toothfairy for controling my PS3.

Somehow I can't get them connected, anyone experienced with this.
I tried all combinations provided by Ayman (thanks for your help) but none worked.
There seems to be an interuption in sending the IR codes (after 8/10 seconds) that
"might" be the problem. Is there anyone with whom can share experiences??

Facts:
Remote: Harmony 1000 FW: 5.0.0
PS3: 40GB FW:2.5.2
Ps3Toothfairy (latest model)

Please help!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelvHal View Post

Hi all,

I bought a Harmony 1000, and a PS3toothfairy for controling my PS3.

Somehow I can't get them connected, anyone experienced with this.
I tried all combinations provided by Ayman (thanks for your help) but none worked.
There seems to be an interuption in sending the IR codes (after 8/10 seconds) that
"might" be the problem. Is there anyone with whom can share experiences??

Facts:
Remote: Harmony 1000 FW: 5.0.0
PS3: 40GB FW:2.5.2
Ps3Toothfairy (latest model)

Please help!

I think there's a thread just for the Tooth Fairy, you should post for help there as I believe the guy who develops it monitors that thread.

Also, be aware that you can only have one BT remote paired to a PS3 at a time. If you forgot to unpair a PS3 BT remote that you already owned before trying to pair the Tooth Fairy that would explain your problems.