IR to BT Converters (yes there are 4 of them): Comparisons/User Reviews - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 252 Old 05-05-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like Schmartz has a few new offerings.

A low-cost solution call the PS3IRX1 that does everything but power-on the PS3 - $20

AND -- A replacement for their older PS3IR-PRO now called the PS3IR-1000. Custom macros, power on/off and power sensing so it always knows if the PS3 is on/off. $80

Both look like nice solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 252 Old 05-07-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes I need the power sensing, kind of sad I paid 100 for the schmart and now have to sell it, if anyone is interested in one, Im selling it quite cheap and it works great, aloy of people dont need power sensing and most are happy with the current one which is still being sold for 70 dollars u.s., msg me if interested.
post #243 of 252 Old 05-13-2009, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Yes I need the power sensing, kind of sad I paid 100 for the schmart and now have to sell it, if anyone is interested in one, Im selling it quite cheap and it works great, aloy of people dont need power sensing and most are happy with the current one which is still being sold for 70 dollars u.s., msg me if interested.

Anyone care to fill me in. How is the power sensing a needed feature? Give me a for instance if you can. I like the custom macros - I'm just sure if i told my wife I want to upgrade she would say the PS3IR-PRO works just fine.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #244 of 252 Old 05-13-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Found at Amazon currently for $59.99

post #245 of 252 Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Found at Amazon currently for $59.99

Anybody tried one of these Harmony adapters? Does it have power on state tracking? Price is sure attractive..

PS .. I am sure the IR2BTci sales will be hurt (who would pay $150)????
post #246 of 252 Old 05-13-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Anybody tried one of these Harmony adapters? Does it have power on state tracking? Price is sure attractive..

PS .. I am sure the IR2BTci sales will be hurt (who would pay $150)????

I'm fairly certain at that price point no (although no one is sure to they get their hands on one). And actually until the PS3IR-1000 came out, there hasn't been a good device to actually do this since the USB power was cut from the USB ports when the PS3 is turned off. So I think the harmony is just going to be version of the IR2BT unless it has firmware upgrade capabilites via online website much like their remotes do. Also, take a look a the dimensions of the device. It does seem much larger than the other devices already on the market. That may play a factor into some peoples decisions.

post #247 of 252 Old 05-13-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

I'm fairly certain at that price point no (although no one is sure to they get their hands on one). And actually until the PS3IR-1000 came out, there hasn't been a good device to actually do this since the USB power was cut from the USB ports when the PS3 is turned off. So I think the harmony is just going to be version of the IR2BT unless it has firmware upgrade capabilites via online website much like their remotes do. Also, take a look a the dimensions of the device. It does seem much larger than the other devices already on the market. That may play a factor into some peoples decisions.

I don't think the Harmony will be FW upgradeable. The only external connectors are power and wired IR input. It would need to do a funky FW update over the wired IR port (unlikely).
post #248 of 252 Old 08-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Are you guys happy with your Harmony adapters?
post #249 of 252 Old 09-02-2009, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post

Are you guys happy with your Harmony adapters?

Advent PS3 FW 3.00. Ahhh Sony, Sony...

Until the PS3 Slim, people have been very happy.
http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/...&thread.id=567
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17101774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post

I'm using the adapter with my slim and it doesn't work properly. It causes my dual shock to lose the BT connection and I have to keep it plugged into the slim for it to be recognized. This doesn't happen with my 80GB unit and the same harmony adapter, and I've tried swapping the slim once already to experience the same issue. I wonder if there's an incompatibility issue with the new slim and the logitech adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post

I contacted Logitech about the issue with the slim, they said they have multiple reports of this issue already, so they escalated the issue to Level 2, guess it means there's some sort of incompatibility with some of the chipsets in the slim and the harmony adapter.

And in a weird twist of fate...your original (non-recalled) IR2BT should now be 100% working again. LOL. That is simply amazing to me. Sony essentially wipes the guy out financially due to recalls to get the devices to work again, and then they tinker with their BT stuff and its as if the problems were never there to begin with. For the love of...

So what now for Logitech and the Slim...wait a year and it will be working again...

post #250 of 252 Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just to add, as I am a current Schmartz consumer, he had added a low cost device running at $39.99 that beats the logitech in functionality and price, while maybe not in aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3IR-500 View Post

Full PS3 Control, including POWER ON and POWER OFF! Works with PS3 Slim!

The PS3IR-500 is the most affordable infrared (IR) to Bluetooth converter for the PS3! Also, it has more features than other converters that cost almost twice as much. Most importantly, its firmware can be upgraded, so a PS3 firmware upgrade won't leave with an expensive paper weight.

It provides the same functionality as the PS3 BD remote control with the added ability to accept standard IR commands. These IR commands are converted to Bluetooth packets that are sent to the PS3. This device will easily make your PS3 compatible with all IR universal remote controls. And, it will allow you to seamlessly integrate your PS3 into your home theater system.

The utility software, pronto codes and user manual are available on our Support Forum.

Features:

Supports all 51 PS3 remote keys including the PS key, and an additional built-in Discrete Off macro that will power off the PS3 from any scenario (game, movie, XMB) with a single IR command. There is no need to stand there holding the remote while the PS3 powers off.

Upgrading the firmware is easy with our new utility tool. There are no drivers to install and the application is a single executable file. Firmware updates are made available on our Support Forum as needed. The device is shipped with the latest firmware version already installed.

Externally powered via any powered USB port using a standard USB cable (included). A powered USB port is available on most DVR units. Otherwise, any standard USB charger may be used instead, as long as it provides 5 Volts. The device has a very low power consumption rate (<100mA). When properly powered, the status LED (inside the Schmartz light bulb) will be lit solid. The LED blinks with each IR command received.

Does not need to be located with the PS3 since it doesn't need to be physically connected to the PS3 in any way. It just needs to be in Bluetooth range of the PS3 (30 feet).

External IR code input compatible with all IR and RF repeaters. All you need is a cable with 3.5 mm mono plugs at each end (not included), connected to the PS3IR-500 (IR input) and the repeater.

A 5 ft USB cable for powering the device is included in the kit.

FCC and Industry Canada certified, and complies with European Union CE standards

post #251 of 252 Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Any new updates as to the best value for IR > BT remote set-up for the PS3 slim??
post #252 of 252 Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Any new updates as to the best value for IR > BT remote set-up for the PS3 slim??

Well for now I can tell you the slim seems to be a picky picky beast. It auto turns off the BT of the remote. So you have to wake the damn thing back up with a button press that leads to a slig lag in response. It's killer on the converters (esp. when initiating a powerdown sequnce). Since the Slim came out I have not heard much negativity with Harmony, PStoothfairy, new editions of Schmartz or IR2BTci so I think all the major players are still in good standing. I need to look at getting my old Schmartz updated - it played perfectly with the old Phats, but damn it's been a headache with the slim. You are never sure if the PS3 will turn off (but in every other sense it works perfectly).

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page