Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Updated 19 June 2008

PS3 Firmware version 2.36 is NOW AVAILABLE for download (see instructions below). Firmware versions 2.35 and 2.36 are stability updates to the previously released Firmware version 2.30 and they add no significant new features.

This thread is to discuss the new features added to the PS3 with Firmware 2.30 and any subsequent 2.3x updates (including the 2.36). Specifically added with version 2.30 was:

1. Support for decoding of DTS HD-MA and DTS HD-HR audio with ouput via LPCM over the HDMI (HERE is the DTS press release). The PS3 provides internal decoding of the advanced audio formats with LPCM output and it cannot provide an undecoded bitstream output.

If you have a Sony PlayStation 3 and an HDMI 1.1 (and above) A/V receiver, it's high time to tap the console's newfound DTS-HD support. It allows those highly sought-after soundtracks on Blu-ray to be played back in their full master-recording glory, in up to 7.1 channels of better-than CD-quality surround sound.

Here're three easy steps to prep your console:

1. Upgrade to the latest firmware 2.36 (if you haven't).
2. Connect your PS3 to your AV Receiver using a HDMI cable.
3. Setup your PS3's "BD/DVD Settings" to "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" Select "Linear PCM"
4. Setup your PS3's Sound Output to "Sound Settings" >>> "Audio Output Settings" >>> Select "HDMI" then check off all of the Linear PCM 5.1 and 7.1 formats supported by your AVR (most recent model AVRs will support all of the listed PCM formats)

For an impromptu check on selected soundtracks, hit the Triangle button on the controller and fire up the onscreen info display. Verify that you're playing either "DTS-HD MA" or "DTS-HD HR". You could also perform a similar check from the receiver end, but do consult your AVR's owner's manual to pull up the received HDMI signal format information on the AVR's display.

NOTE: The PS3 internally decodes the advanced audio formats (DTS HD-HR, DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD) and outputs them to your AV Receiver (AVR) using Linear PCM (LPCM). Your AVR display will only show the input type with indications such as PCM, LPCM or some other indication indicating multi-channel PCM. It will NOT display the name of the orginal Dolby or DTS format.
____________________________________________________________ _________________________

KNOWN PS3 LIMITATIONS FOR DECODING DTS: The DTS standards offer several different variations of audio and speaker placement configurations. There are some limitations with the PS3 related to playback of DVDs and BDs with DTS audio. First the Firmware 2.30 release includes the following statement from Sony: "The PS3™ system does not support playback of DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video or DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs." These are limitations of the PS3 in decoding for output via LPCM the DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 audio formats. If you configure your PS3 to bitstream these lossy DTS formats to your AV Receiver they can still be decoded by the receiver.

For the new lossless audio formats DTS allows for several different surround speaker configurations. BDs that include DTS HD-Master Audio (HD-MA) or HD-High Resolution (HD-HR) for certain specific allowed 7.1 or 6.1 channel DTS configurations that includes information on how to re-mix for 5.1 channel configurations, will result in the PS3 not including rear channel audio in its LPCM output via HDMI (thus mapping to a 5.1 channel output instead of a 7.1 or 6.1 channel output). The specific DTS HD-MA or HD-HR configuration that the PS3 handles in this manner is limited to a very few BD titles from New Line Cinema and Lion's Gate. Below is a list of the DTS HD-MA and HD-HR titles that have either 6.1 or 7.1 channels (there are no reported issues for BD titles with 5.1 channel DTS HD-MA or HD-HR audio) and the results that have been reported by forum members for the PS3 decoded output provided over LPCM (will be updated as we get more reports):
BD TITLE-----------------DTS Coding / # Ch.-------PS3 Decoded Output (see note 2)
Doctor Strange---------------HD-MA / 7.1---------------LPCM / 7.1
Hairspray---------------------HD-MA / 7.1---------------LPCM / 5.1
Mr. Woodcock----------------HD-MA / 7.1---------------LPCM / 7.1
Oldboy-----------------------HD-MA / 7.1---------------LPCM / 7.1
Pan's Labyrinth---------------HD-MA / 7.1---------------LPCM / 5.1
Rush Hour 3------------------HD-MA / 7.1---------------LPCM / 5.1
Saw IV-----------------------HD-MA / 7.1---------------LPCM / 7.1
Shoot ‘Em Up-----------------HD-MA / 7.1---------------LPCM / 5.1
The Golden Compass----------HD-MA / 7.1---------------LPCM / 7.1
The Orphanage---------------HD-MA / 7.1---------------LPCM / 7.1
X Men: The Last Std.---------HD MA / 6.1---------------LPCM / 6.1
American Psycho-------------HD-HR / 6.1----------------LPCM / 6.1
Basic Instinct----------------HD-HR / 6.1----------------LPCM / 6.1
The Condemned--------------HD-HR / 7.1----------------LPCM / 5.1
The Devil's Rejects-----------HD-HR / 6.1----------------LPCM / 6.1
House of 1000 Corpses-------HD-MR / 7.1----------------LPCM / 7.1
Reservoir Dogs---------------HD-HR / 6.1----------------LPCM / 6.1
Saw II: Unrated Ed. ---------HD-HR / 6.1----------------LPCM / 6.1
Saw III: Unrated Ed.---------HD-HR / 6.1----------------LPCM / 6.1
Stargate: Ext'd Cut ----------HD-HR / 6.1-----------------(note 1)
Stir of Echoes---------------HD-HR / 6.1-----------------LPCM / 6.1
Total Recall------------------HD-HR / 6.1----------------LPCM / 6.1
Young Guns-----------------HD-HR / 6.1------------------(note 1)

Note 1 - There are no reports yet for these titles
Note 2 - In cases where the PS3 outputs 6.1, the two rear channels are both active and they both carry indentical audio HERE is a post from later in this thread from Ronny at DTS that provides some specifics of the issue.
____________________________________________________________ ______________________
HERE is a link to a AVS Forum Thread that lists some of the popular AV Receivers (AVRs) that can accept mulit-channel LPCM via their HDMI inputs. Note that some AVRs are limited to only 5.1 or 6.1 channels while many can accept up to the maximum of 7.1 channels.

2. Support for enhancements to the PS3 Store. HERE is a link to a site with a video showing a demo of the prototype for the new PS3 Store. Also HERE is more information about the enhancements to the PS3 Store.

Here is the press release for the verion 2.30 firmware:

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced that the next system software update for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) system, slated for release next week, will add DTS-HD Master Audio™ and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, enabling consumers to enjoy Blu-ray movies with studio-quality, high-definition audio. The technologies, from DTS, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTSI), provide PS3 users with the complete high-definition Blu-ray movie experience, matching the format's crisp visuals with rich, lifelike sound. In addition to the new audio capabilities, the free system software update (v. 2.30) will allow PS3 owners to access the revamped PLAYSTATION®Store, as previously announced.

DTS-HD Master Audio brings Blu-ray movies on PS3 to life, delivering everything from explosive sound effects to intricate orchestral scores with pure, high-quality audio that is bit-for-bit identical to the original studio master. DTS-HD Master Audio has the capacity to deliver audio at the incredibly high variable rate of 24.5 mega-bits per second (Mbps) on Blu-ray disc, a rate significantly higher than standard DVDs. DTS-HD Master Audio also offers 7.1 audio channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depths. More than 100 Blu-ray movies and concert videos featuring premium DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks are available.

Additionally, the DTS-HD High Resolution Audio codec allows content creators to deliver uncompromised, high-definition audio on Blu-ray, while requiring less disc space than DTS-HD Master Audio. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio streams audio at a high constant bit rate of 6.0 Mbps on Blu-ray discs, and is also capable of up to 7.1 audio channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depth resolution, thereby producing outstanding sound quality.

Beyond enhancing PS3's audio capabilities, installing the latest system software update will also enable users to seamlessly access the new, more dynamic interface and enhanced navigation of the PLAYSTATION Store. As part of a revamp, the PLAYSTATION Store will transition from an integrated online storefront to an application living natively on PS3, enabling customers to more easily and quickly locate and purchase games, and download demos, game videos, Blu-ray movie trailers and other game-related content for PS3.

How to Update your PS3's Firmware

PS3 owners with their PS3 console connected to the internet (via either WiFi or ethernet) can now use the 'System Update' feature under the 'Settings' menu to download and install the new firmware. The instructions are HERE. Connect your game controller to your PS3 console using the supplied USB cable before starting and use it for controlling your PS3 for performing firmware update (do not use the bluetooth BD remote control).

If you don't have your PS3 connected to the internet then you can download the firmware update onto your PC and install the update onto your PS3 using a USB flash memory drive or other storage media. Note that the USB flash drive must use FAT32 formatting. The instructions and download link are HERE for downloading to a PC. Also some new PS3 Games titles may include the firmware update files - instructions are HERE.
Also after you do the update, you may have to re-register your PS3 with your Sony Bluetooth BD/DVD Remote, if you have one (go to the PS3's 'Settings' menu then 'Accessory Setting' and then 'Register BD Remote Control').

FUTURE FIRMWARE UPDATES
Sony representatives in press interviews (in Japan and the UK for items a. and b. below) have indicated the following enhancments are being developed (both probably for release in Firmware version 2.40 in the June/July 2008 time frame)

a. Support for upconverting discs recorded in 1080i video to 1080p for output via HDMI. Note that most movies on Blu-ray Disc are already in 1080p format on the disc and this new feature would not be needed for such titles. It mainly would apply to documentaries or concerts where 1080i HD video cameras were used.

b. Support for "in-game communications/messaging" for on-line gaming.

c. Support for playback of BD's with 3D video (info HERE)

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just in case there are still people who want confirmation from the other side of the agreement.
http://www.dts.com/company/press/pre...cID=1&yID=2008

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #3 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Nice.

To all the haters/naysayers: How's that crow taste?
post #4 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I should point out that SCE Japan and DTS, Inc. have both issued official press releases with the April 15 release date:

Sony Japan
DTS, Inc.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #5 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

1. Support for decoding of DTS HD-MA and DTS HD-HR audio with ouput via LPCM over the HDMI (HERE is the DTS press release)

Are we 100% sure that this is the case (I want it to be just doesn't seem 100% clear to me)? The press release is kind of vague as to whether it is decoding or bitstreaming. I know it has been said before that the PS3 likely can't bitstream DTSHD MA but not sure if that was ever confirmed 100% by Sony.
post #6 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

I'm also curious if it's going to be PCM or Bitstream. I would assume PCM since you'd think if the PS3 could bitstream enough data it would be doing it from the start for all codecs. Actually at this point, even though my AVR can do all the codecs, I'd prefer PCM so that I don't have to change modes in the PS3 setup based on the soundtrack.
post #7 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdee View Post

I'm also curious if it's going to be PCM or Bitstream. I would assume PCM since you'd think if the PS3 could bitstream enough data it would be doing it from the start for all codecs. Actually at this point, even though my AVR can do all the codecs, I'd prefer PCM so that I don't have to change modes in the PS3 setup based on the soundtrack.

Read paragraph one:
"1. Support for decoding of DTS HD-MA and DTS HD-HR audio with ouput via LPCM over the HDMI (HERE is the DTS press release)"
post #8 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Read paragraph one:
"1. Support for decoding of DTS HD-MA and DTS HD-HR audio with ouput via LPCM over the HDMI (HERE is the DTS press release)"

Yes but it doesn't actually say that anywhere is the press release that I can see.
post #9 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

3. Support for 1080i-to-1080p conversion from 1080i BD titles (not yet confirmed to be in firmware 2.30 vs. a later update)

You should remove this line since it's confusing.
post #10 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The only available evidence to date indicates the PS3's HDMI transmitter chip cannot support bitsteam output of the advanced audio formats. This appears to be what the chip manufacturer was saying in a press release they put out about 2 months before the PS3 went on sale. Below is a copy of the information that I previously posted on a couple of other threads. Also DTS representative has previously said they were supporting Sony for the development of DTS HD-MA decoder software (thus indicating the PS3 will be decoding HD-MA and not just passing the bitstream). Given this information and the fact that Dolby TrueHD is being output via LPCM, then it's safe to say that DTS HD-MA will also be output via LPCM.

However, I have revised the text in Post #1 to indicate that internal decoding of HD-MA is the likely implementation.

Where we are today is the PS3 internally decodes Dobly TrueHD and outputs it via HDMI as LPCM. It appears that if and when DTS HD-MA is supported it will also be handled the same way. The only information to date from the HDMI transmitter chip manufacture indicates that the Sil 9132 chip used within the PS3 cannot support a bit stream output for the advanced audio formats. The following is copied from a post I made in the earlier thread on the 2.0x firmware update:

According to the brief feedback provided from the chip's manufacturer provided in this thread, the 9132 cannot support bitsteaming for the advanced audio formats. As for the old news release from SIL the final sentence of the following paragraph could be read that the 9134 has the additional capability, beyond that supported by the PS3, to output the advanced audio formats via bitstream:

“Sony has indicated that the PlayStation 3 is expected to ship in November of this year with the ability to render the highest-quality video ever seen in a consumer device,” said Dale Zimmerman, vice president of marketing at Silicon Image. “The SiI 9133 receiver matches the capabilities of the PlayStation 3 and makes it possible for HDTV manufacturers to ship products this year that are capable of displaying Deep Color images, for the highest-quality gaming experience and fullest enjoyment of high-definition movies. The SiI 9134 brings these same benefits to next generation DVD players, with additional support for the latest high-quality audio formats, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.”

Ron Jones
post #11 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 08:27 AM

What I really want to know is if dtsHD MA is better than lossy?
No, not really. Can't wait. The player that HD DVD fanboys loved to hate just keeps getting better and better.

Behold.... The POWER OF THE CELL PROCESSOR
post #12 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. View Post

You should remove this line since it's confusing.

I have expanded the text in Post #1 to better explain what the 1080i-to-1080p conversion is about.

Ron Jones
post #13 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Great news. I can't wait to try out the Fox titles.
post #14 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

And New Line - all theirs are MA as well.
post #15 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceperson View Post

Yes, my thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post

...The player that HD DVD fanboys loved to hate just keeps getting better and better.

Behold.... The POWER OF THE CELL PROCESSOR

The Fanboys loved to hate on the price. For $300 you could get a 1080p HD-DVD player with ethernet and DTS-MA (the HD-A35). For $400 you can get that for a better technology (blu-ray) plus SACD, a 7th generation console, the whole 8 processor Cell engine, and so much more. Blu-ray + PS3 = awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

Great news. I can't wait to try out the Fox titles.

Too bad I sold my copy of "transporter 2" since it was just so rediculous and only good for one watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

And New Line - all theirs are MA as well.

I'm not a big fan of New Line, sure I liked the Teenage mutant ninja turtle trilogy, but their hits are a little too far and few between. Thanks for the information though, I will go browse their selection.
post #16 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

if it were to bitsream the info to a reciever for decoding, there would be no need for DTS to be involved in writing a decoder...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #17 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

if it were to bitsream the info to a reciever for decoding, there would be no need for DTS to be involved in writing a decoder...

and if it wasn't able to decode people with HDMi capable receivers that can't decode wouldn't be able to hear it, this way anyone with HDMI capability can get DTS MA goodness...
post #18 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 09:47 AM

Ok, since PS3 will finally decode the last of the lossless codecs, DTS HD-MA, what are some of the AV receiver availabe on the market which can take LPCM through HDMI and pass it through (7.1 preferably)? Sorry if this is off topic, but if there is already a thread dedicated to this subject matter, thank you for pointing me out to it.
post #19 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post

Ok, since PS3 will finally decode the last of the lossless codecs, DTS HD-MA, what are some of the AV receiver availabe on the market which can take LPCM through HDMI and pass it through (7.1 preferably)? Sorry if this is off topic, but if there is already a thread dedicated to this subject matter, thank you for pointing me out to it.

Pretty much all of the the HDMI receivers can play LPCM except the sheapest and oldest ones.

THe shorter list is of the HDMI recievers that won't work.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #20 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yamaha RX-V663 and it's predecessor the V661 are two that are not bank account breakers.

I still want/need to sell my 661 though as it does not pass 1080p/24hz from my PS3.....the 663 does.
post #21 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Im pretty sure my Onkyo 705 will work with this, or so I hope.

PSN: DaveS78
post #22 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup, 705 & 805 I believe.
post #23 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceperson View Post

Nice.

*cues music*

We got'em going down for the count... looking at the ground...that's why we got haters, that's why we got haters!
Haters everywhere we go... haters everywhere we go...

Blu-ray supporter
PSN: Dragngt
post #24 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome... finally... now I can rewatch all of my Fox titles and get the full audio... Live Free or Die Hard... I am looking at you.
post #25 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post

As I recall there are a very few lower-end AV receivers (e.g., low-end Denon AVRs) with HDMI in/out that only do HDMI switching but do not extract the audio, neither bitstream nor PCM, that came in via HDMI. Also there may be a few AV receivers with HDMI inputs that can will only support 5.1 channels with LPCM input via HDMI. I have not seen a summary chart specifically showing which AVRs do support 7.1 with LPCM input via HDMI. You may want to search or post a question on the other forum section that covers AV Receiver (HERE).

Ron Jones
post #26 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
it is simply brilliant! love u sony
post #27 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 11:17 AM

OK this will finally get me to buy into Blu Ray...I do not have a HDMI receiver so what is a good receiver for the Play Station under $500.00
post #28 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglaeser View Post

OK this will finally get me to buy into Blu Ray...I do not have a HDMI receiver so what is a good receiver for the Play Station under $500.00

Onkyo 705, and since it won't receive it via bitstream no "pop" speaker worries..
post #29 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nothing to be gained from bitstreaming anyway. PS3 has far more processing power than any AVR will ever see.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #30 of 1585 Old 04-10-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

Nothing to be gained from bitstreaming anyway. PS3 has far more processing power than any AVR will ever see.

And I know of at least one engineer (Roger Dressler at Dolby Labs) who believes it's better to decode in the PS3 than the receiver.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page