No Voice when playing BLURAY movies on PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone having the same issue when they play bluray movie, like "I am Legend", 300, they only get background sound but not the voice. I have 40G PS3. i already tried tweaking almost all configurations from the sound settings, i still cannot make it to work. I tried selecting all "Audio Options" still the same. MY connection is HDMI from PS3 to TV then optical from TV to Amp.

my center speaker works just fine. Everything else works like music, TV(hd channels), or video games but not bluray movie... If i change to optical, no sound comes out at all.

Also, I turned off my receiver and just used the TV speaker, the same thing...no voice , only background sound.

The last thing that I did to my box was update the firmware. I now have the latest version. I'm not sure though if this causes the problem. I haven't seen out yet on the web who's experiencing the same after the firmware uprgade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did you try a different audio track on the disc?
post #3 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriz View Post

MY connection is HDMI from PS3 to TV then optical from TV to Amp.

That won't work. TV's won't pass multichannel audio except from their own tuners. You're sending LPCM multichannel to the TV, which is dropping everything but the front Left and Right channels going to the optical out.

You need to connect the player's audio ouput (HDMI if supported, optical otherwise) directly to the receiver. And the PS3 won't provide two audio outputs at the same time, so if you want to also use your TV speakers, you'll have to switch the PS3's settings each time. It's a PITA.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #4 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

My receiver does not have HDMI How come it worked before? I saw 300 just fine previously. It was like almost a month since i watched on my ps3. I was out of town for past few weekds. I bought "I am legend" a couple of days back and then that's when I noticed the problem. The only change when it last worked and now was upgrade the firmware.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

JOHNnDENVER : Did you try a different audio track on the disc?

Yes i did. it worked just fine. Since you asked about that, the voice sound works if the movie is being narrated, like in 300 when the narrator was telling the story. Or if I will use the audio option where there are person/director/actors telling the story about a particular scene, it works. But if it's in a normal movie mode, I can hear the background sound really good but not the VOICE.

Any ideas?
post #6 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 06:03 PM

I tried running a PS3 directly to my tv via hdmi and had the same problem. I believe it has something to do with sending a 5.1 signal to a tv which only has two speakers. Since most of the dialogue comes out through the center channel, you can not hear it. You will only get the sounds that are directed at L and R. I'm pretty sure this is the problem. The only way to solve it would be to either select a 2 channel track from the dvd, or set the sound options to 2 speakers on the ps3.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

That won't work. TV's won't pass multichannel audio except from their own tuners. You're sending LPCM multichannel to the TV, which is dropping everything but the front Left and Right channels going to the optical out.

You need to connect the player's audio ouput (HDMI if supported, optical otherwise) directly to the receiver. And the PS3 won't provide two audio outputs at the same time, so if you want to also use your TV speakers, you'll have to switch the PS3's settings each time. It's a PITA.

I am looking to purchase a PS3, I am not sure I understand your post, if I hook up the ps3 using hdmi to the tv and use the optical out to my receiver, will I have problems? I never use my tv speakers and use my surround sound for everything. Any help is appreciated.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Maybe the OP bought the karaoke edition of the movie ?

jjeeff, your setup will work fine. You can tell your PS3 to send the visuals through HDMI and the sound through optical.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #9 of 14 Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

MY connection is HDMI from PS3 to TV then optical from TV to Amp.

This is not right as others have said. You should have video HDMI from PS3 to your TV. You should have optical audio from your PS3 to your receiver. Select HDMI for your video output. Select optical for your audio output using bitstream assuming your receiver is Dolby Digital capable.

I have both of these movies on bluray and they work fine using both the optical bitstreamed audio Dolby Digital and HDMI Dolby TrueHD audio. You have something configured incorrectly. Even though you said it worked before, it was wrong before.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-19-2008, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any ideas?

rdclark already told you what the problem was and how to fix it.

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-19-2008, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone having the same issue when they play bluray movie, like "I am Legend", 300, they only get background sound but not the voice. I have 40G PS3. i already tried tweaking almost all configurations from the sound settings, i still cannot make it to work. I tried selecting all "Audio Options" still the same. MY connection is HDMI from PS3 to TV then optical from TV to Amp.

my center speaker works just fine. Everything else works like music, TV(hd channels), or video games but not bluray movie... If i change to optical, no sound comes out at all.

Also, I turned off my receiver and just used the TV speaker, the same thing...no voice , only background sound.

The last thing that I did to my box was update the firmware. I now have the latest version. I'm not sure though if this causes the problem. I haven't seen out yet on the web who's experiencing the same after the firmware uprgade.

Go into the setup of the PS3 and re-setup the audio configuration. With both the 2.2 & 2.3 firmware update some people have had their PS3 default back to 2 channel audio. I believe THIS is the problem you are having. It does not seem to happen with everyone, but this is where I think your problem is.

Hope this helps!

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

HT Gear list HERE
post #12 of 14 Old 04-19-2008, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeeffff View Post

I am looking to purchase a PS3, I am not sure I understand your post, if I hook up the ps3 using hdmi to the tv and use the optical out to my receiver, will I have problems? I never use my tv speakers and use my surround sound for everything. Any help is appreciated.

That is the correct configuration with a non-HDMI 5.1 AVR -- HDMI to the TV for video; optical directly to the AVR for audio. Set the PS3 to bitstream everything via optical.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #13 of 14 Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post

This is not right as others have said. You should have video HDMI from PS3 to your TV. You should have optical audio from your PS3 to your receiver. Select HDMI for your video output. Select optical for your audio output using bitstream assuming your receiver is Dolby Digital capable.

I have both of these movies on bluray and they work fine using both the optical bitstreamed audio Dolby Digital and HDMI Dolby TrueHD audio. You have something configured incorrectly. Even though you said it worked before, it was wrong before.

I know this is 6 yrs old, but I found this thread and took the advice. I bought an Optical Cable, changed PS3 audio output to Optical, changed Recv Digital input to Optical 1, changed Listening Mode, and it all worked PERFECT. Great advice, thanks Despoiler.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 AM

This happened to me, but the cause was my PS3 HDMI was routed through my Vizio TV. The TV was connected to the receiver using coax cables, and the TV audio setting was set to "surround - on" and "speakers - off", using "Dolby Digital". Changing the surround to PCM, and turning on the speakers fixed the problem.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page