Official AVS portable Blu Ray Player Discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-18-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any guesses or info on when we might find portable blu-ray players? Not really for the image quality but for taking blu-ray on the road if you've replaced your DVDs with BD or want to show off blu-ray at a friends house...

sponge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 PM

Liked: 12
the best thing right now is to get a laptop with an hdmi output. (sony Vaio's come to mind)
post #3 of 25 Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 AM

Swami says 1 year.
post #4 of 25 Old 05-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/26/p...ray-head-unit/

no timing but atleast there is a product.

Support The Facts - Not Opinions
post #5 of 25 Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Tic-tock. What's the holdup? A blu-ray with optical out would be ideal with my portable dac/headphone amp for flights.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM

post #7 of 25 Old 04-22-2009, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
$799,95 ouch
post #8 of 25 Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 PM

Guess I won't be buying one of these for my 4 year old to watch movies on quite yet...

Chris Noland
Flower Mound, TX
www.thenolands.com
Media Room in Progress

DFW SMPTE - Past Chair
SMPTE DFW
post #9 of 25 Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdmt View Post

the best thing right now is to get a laptop with an hdmi output. (sony Vaio's come to mind)

I have a new Vaio Z model. It comes with HDMI out as standard but the Blu-ray option is $600. I decided not to go with the option. $600 for the Blu-ray drive is just outrageous I think; after all the CPU, memory, and graphics are all ready there.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-23-2009, 07:45 AM

yea, get a BD drive and a firewire or USB portable case for 200. Not as pretty but should work

Chris Noland
Flower Mound, TX
www.thenolands.com
Media Room in Progress

DFW SMPTE - Past Chair
SMPTE DFW
post #11 of 25 Old 11-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Don't see too many threads about portable blu-ray players.

I see three available right now:

RCA BRC3108 (two fifty or so)
Samsung BD-C8000 (three fifty or so)
Panasonic DMP-B15 (still five hondo plus)

I know there probably isn't a huge market out there for these devices, there aren't too many out there and market hasn't pushed costs down yet.

This would be great for me - for instance, I have a Netflix disc at home right now that I'm not going to have a chance to watch before the weekend. I'm pretty sure my mother-in-law doesn't have a blu-ray player - would be great to bring this thing along and hook it up to her TV...

Also would be great since I don't have dupes of too many movies and I don't want to deal with the complexity of ripping blu-ray to another device...

Any thoughts on these three players?
post #12 of 25 Old 11-11-2010, 12:43 PM

I have the RCA and it's great. HDMI output to play on any large screen tv.
post #13 of 25 Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Since the RCA player is on sale for $188 at Target this week, it seems a good time to try it out. It's great to be able to view your blu-rays on the go and with the hdmi out, it extends its usefulness.

Scratch that. After gathering up my Target coupons went back to the store and found they left the old sales price up.
post #14 of 25 Old 09-10-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Found one old thread starting back in 08, so lets give this another go.

Not much action for this area of players.

How many of us have a portable BD player now, and would care to share their impressions?

Here are some of the portable players in the game now.

Sony BDP-SX1000 http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...mber=BDPSX1000

Samsung BD-C8000 http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-...d/BD-C8000/XAA

RCA has 4 models on their site: http://www.1800customersupport.com/P...able%20Blu-ray

Panasonic DMP-B200 http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

Philips has a couple of models including a dual display. http://www.usa.philips.com/c/portabl...ONSUMER%3Dtrue

LG has the BP650 http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...ayer-BP650.jsp

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #15 of 25 Old 09-10-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
As for screen resolution, the Sony, Samsung, Panasonic all have 1024x600 screen resolution.

All the others have 800x480 which is not any better than some portable dvd players

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #16 of 25 Old 11-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Hi, can anyone suggest a product that:
- will play Blue Ray video (I am recording TV on a panasonicDMR-BS880 blue-ray Disc Recorder)
- has HDMI
- will play direct to a TV via HDMI
- is very very compact
- either rechargeable or 12V (its to use in a motorhome)
- ideally remote control

Not looking for anything fancy!

Paul
post #17 of 25 Old 01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I was in the market for a portable blu-ray player. I was surprised that there were so few reviews and information available regarding portable blu-ray players.

I decided to buy a refurbished Samsung BD-C8000 off of eBay because I liked the fact that this player has built in wi-fi and streaming capability such as Netflix. I also liked the external battery and the 3D capability although that was less of a factor in my decision. The 3D on the Samsung requires a 3D capable display as the included 10 inch display is not 3D capable. My big concern is that Samsung no longer makes this model and has apparently abandoned the portable blu-ray market. There were also reviews indicating that the Samsung overheats and had problems reading discs after a few months.

I also considered the Sony and Phillips models. Neither of these offers streaming and the Sony has an internal battery and I believe the Phillips models do as well. The Phillips has a 9 inch screen and a resolution of 800 X 480 while the Sony and Samsung have 10 inch screens and a resolution of 1024 X 800.

I will have 45 days to return the Samsung if I decide to do so. It has been my experience with Samsung in the past that they make great products but then sometimes abandon the customer support as time passes. I appreciate any recommendations or reviews
post #18 of 25 Old 03-18-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Is anyone aware of a portable BluRay player with HDMI input?
post #19 of 25 Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
What would the player do with HDMI input? What type of video or audio do you want to feed it?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #20 of 25 Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

What I want to use it for is to display the output from my Denon A/V receiver. I have a front projector and don't want to turn it on just to be able to see the screen for Pandora, when playing a DVD-Audio/SACD disc, when checking/adding timers on the DVR, etc. It's hard on the lamp to fire it up on a front projector just for a short amount of time then shut it down. If I could get an HDMI signal from my Denon A/V receiver into a device like this I'd be able to do the misc things I want to do without having to fire up the front projector. In addition I could use the BluRay player on trips (dual purpose).

I tried to find something like a tablet that would accept a HDMI input but haven't found of one of those either. Either a tablet or portable BluRay player that accept an HDMI input would work fine for what I need but I'm not finding either one. Putting a computer monitor on my A/V rack is too big and bulky, not finding one of those small (e.g., 10-12" 16:9 diagonal) that accept a HDMI input.

I know this is a strange request but I could see people wanting an HDMI input on a portable BluRay player or tablet to display pictures from a digital camera via HDMI or even cell phone cameras via HDMI on a bigger screen.
post #21 of 25 Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

What I want to use it for is to display the output from my Denon A/V receiver. I have a front projector and don't want to turn it on just to be able to see the screen for Pandora, when playing a DVD-Audio/SACD disc, when checking/adding timers on the DVR, etc. It's hard on the lamp to fire it up on a front projector just for a short amount of time then shut it down. If I could get an HDMI signal from my Denon A/V receiver into a device like this I'd be able to do the misc things I want to do without having to fire up the front projector. In addition I could use the BluRay player on trips (dual purpose).

I tried to find something like a tablet that would accept a HDMI input but haven't found of one of those either. Either a tablet or portable BluRay player that accept an HDMI input would work fine for what I need but I'm not finding either one. Putting a computer monitor on my A/V rack is too big and bulky, not finding one of those small (e.g., 10-12" 16:9 diagonal) that accept a HDMI input.

I know this is a strange request but I could see people wanting an HDMI input on a portable BluRay player or tablet to display pictures from a digital camera via HDMI or even cell phone cameras via HDMI on a bigger screen.

This might be a little small and costly, but would this work? http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-monit...pr_product_top
post #22 of 25 Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that suggestion, definitely on the right track. The biggest disadvantages I see are screen is really small for these old eyes (was hoping for 10-12" diagonal) and about $200 for such a tiny screen.

Perhaps I will need to do an exhaustive search of 16:9 ratio PC monitors that accept an HDMI input that are small (I'm having a hard time finding small ones unlike the old days where small computer monitors weren't unusual at all) and the stand can be taken off so I can lay it flat on/in my console style A/V stand.
post #23 of 25 Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Thanks for that suggestion, definitely on the right track. The biggest disadvantages I see are screen is really small for these old eyes (was hoping for 10-12" diagonal) and about $200 for such a tiny screen.

Perhaps I will need to do an exhaustive search of 16:9 ratio PC monitors that accept an HDMI input that are small (I'm having a hard time finding small ones unlike the old days where small computer monitors weren't unusual at all) and the stand can be taken off so I can lay it flat on/in my console style A/V stand.

Were you ever able to find anything? Here's another somewhat costly option I stumbled upon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJcyNXkTbrk. It's running $249 right now.

And back on topic, I managed to get an open box Sony sx1000 from Best Buy. When you have many appointments to schlep kids to soccer and karate classes, you soon even get fed up trying to run errands during that time. Instead I carry this player with me and just sit in my car catching up on my library of movies. And with the 5 hour battery, I don't stressed by just watching one movie and fearing I'll lose power.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually settled on a Vizio 19" 16:9 LED LCD TV on closeout at Walmart for $158, has 2 HDMI inputs, component video inputs, etc. and doesn't have a traditional monitor stand (which would add a lot of height) making it more compact and will fit in one of the compartments of my entertainment center laying down, easy to pull out and use. I'm quite happy at the price compared to other options for much smaller monitors. User reviews on the monitor were extremely positive at both Walmarts website and Amazon.com.
post #25 of 25 Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I notice many manufacturers have portable Blu-ray players taken off their websites. Envizen Digital is the only manufacturer who lists their BDP-M1061 on their site with the current models. Yet none of the major retailers have it, except through third-party sellers. I hope the tablet and smartphone aren't replacing portable Blu-ray players. While getting a small laptop and slim USB-powered drive would be somewhat of a solution, it's not as convenient as a portable Blu-ray player with many one-touch functions such as switching audio and subtitle streams and forward and reverse scanning. For example with a laptop, you'd need to access a pulldown menu and make a selection from a submenu just to do something as simple as the one-touch subtitle, audio, and forward and reverse scanning buttons on a remote when using a portable Blu-ray player.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C8000 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp Sx1000 Blu Ray Disc Player Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page