The IR4PS3 Works just as promised - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 205 Old 07-27-2008, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good luck, NSMike. Hope you get it fixed. I think I tweaked the mapping in my 880 no less than 10 times. But now that I've got all buttons in activity and device modes "just so", I can say this device literally works perfectly. Amazing, really. It's like I'm using the original remote - there is no perceived delay, and my PS3 is in a room across the hall from my home theater, about 20 feet away. Watched my 2nd BD movie tonight, and what a pleasure it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 205 Old 08-24-2008, 03:05 PM

Due to all the GREAT information about this IR4PS3 device I am corresponding with Ben to order a IR4PS3 (ir4ps3@hotmail.com).
Ben emailed me saying that due to the current lack of availability of Sony BD Remotes from his suppliers he wont be able to provide any pre-assembled units (Option B) until later in September. Since I don't want to wait that long I am thinking I'll order the do-it-yourself kit (Option A). For those of you who have assembled the DIY kit are there any tricks or tips that you could pass along? I have seen the UTube video link provided by Ben. Many thanks.
post #93 of 205 Old 08-24-2008, 05:18 PM

Liked: 10
Eyefly, I ordered the do-it-yourself kit. Took all of 20 minutes to assemble. I used the door trick to open my remote. It's really straight forward. Take apart remote, cut off battery pins, pull out circuit board, put together. Trickiest part, I'd say, was getting the clip off the circuit board. Once I got up the cahones to put a little extra pressure on it, got it out with no problems. Haven't had any problems at all with it. Love it, and love just having my Harmony One control everything!
post #94 of 205 Old 08-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks Banned Phrase for your feedback and encouragement. My ir4ps3 kit has been ordered and is hopefully on its way.
I appreciate your tips and will remember your comments when I'm trying to remove the clip off the circuit board.
Now, I can hardly wait to try it with my Harmony One!
post #95 of 205 Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 AM

You'll love it with your harmony, but be prepared to spend several minutes fine-tuning the software!
post #96 of 205 Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned phrase View Post

You'll love it with your harmony, but be prepared to spend several minutes fine-tuning the software!

On August 26, 2008 I received my ir4ps3 kit, assembled it in about 20 minutes according to the instructions provided (thanks for your help banned phrase) and have been VERY impressed with its performance ever since. I used the USB cable from my PS3 (plugged into the side USB port on my Pelican controller Charging Station) to power the ir4ps3 - very slick.

Then I paired a Harmony One universal remote with the ir4ps3. I am amazed. There is absolutely no lag time with Harmony key presses and the PS3 behaves exactly as it did when I was using my former Sony BT remote control. And there are still four available USB slots on the front of my PS3 - no wires or USB dongle sticking out the front of the PS3 like with other alternative companies I was considering buying before I found this product.

I should mention that I did remap the PS3 "X" button to the Harmony "OK" key, and the PS3 "circle" button to the Harmony "Exit" key. The Harmony remote will turn on, and even more importantly to me, provide all the features of the Sony BT remote. Also, on the plus side it will also shut down the PS3 with one button press when I press the "Off" button on the Harmony One. My PS3 software version is 2.42 by the way. I haven't found any negatives about this ir4ps3 product at all.

Perhaps needless to say, I am a very happy customer of the ir4ps3 and it is so nice to finally be back to only one remote control for all my home theater gadgets.
post #97 of 205 Old 09-02-2008, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefly View Post

On August 26, 2008 I received my ir4ps3 kit, assembled it in about 20 minutes according to the instructions provided (thanks for your help banned phrase) and have been VERY impressed with its performance ever since. I used the USB cable from my PS3 (plugged into the side USB port on my Pelican controller Charging Station) to power the ir4ps3 - very slick.

Then I paired a Harmony One universal remote with the ir4ps3. I am amazed. There is absolutely no lag time with Harmony key presses and the PS3 behaves exactly as it did when I was using my former Sony BT remote control. And there are still four available USB slots on the front of my PS3 - no wires or USB dongle sticking out the front of the PS3 like with other alternative companies I was considering buying before I found this product.

I should mention that I did remap the PS3 "X" button to the Harmony "OK" key, and the PS3 "circle" button to the Harmony "Exit" key. The Harmony remote will turn on, and even more importantly to me, provide all the features of the Sony BT remote. Also, on the plus side it will also shut down the PS3 with one button press when I press the "Off" button on the Harmony One. My PS3 software version is 2.42 by the way. I haven't found any negatives about this ir4ps3 product at all.

Perhaps needless to say, I am a very happy customer of the ir4ps3 and it is so nice to finally be back to only one remote control for all my home theater gadgets.

I just got the IR4PS3 today... assembly went great.

When I went to add it to my harmony 890, I didn't remove the Nyko first, so it didn't map the buttons and I had to do that manually, which is no big deal, I just don't see some of the commands that are on the BD/Playstation BT remote like display.

Is there a list of the mapped buttons somewhere?

OK = X
Exit = Circle (Back)
? = Triangle (Options)
? = Square (View)
Info = Info, is this the same as display on BT remote?

Any other suggestions for mapping?
post #98 of 205 Old 09-02-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

I just got the IR4PS3 today... assembly went great.

Is there a list of the mapped buttons somewhere?

OK = X
Exit = Circle (Back)
? = Triangle (Options)
? = Square (View)
Info = Info, is this the same as display on BT remote?

Any other suggestions for mapping?

FWIW here is how I've remapped my Harmony One for my PS3 Activities using Standard Buttons
Menu <-> PS3 PopUp menu
Exit <-> PS3 Circle
Info <-> PS3 Time (or could be set for PS3 Display?)
Guide <-> PS3 Triangle
OK <-> PS3 "X"
Channel Up <-> PS3 ChapterNext
Channel Down <-> PS3 ChapterPrev
Prev <-> PS3 Circle
Rewind <-> PS3 ScanRev
SkipBack <-> PS3 SlowRev (if you press & hold for 2 seconds=slow motion)
Fast Forward <-> PS3 ScanFwd
SkipFwd <-> PS3 SlowFwd (if you press & hold for 2 seconds=slow motion)
Plus <-> PS3 Subtitle
E <-> PS3 OpenClose
I have omitted the buttons Play, Pause, Stop, direction keys which are self explanatory.
For Other PS3 features I've mapped the "Additional Buttons" to show features I use such as Square/View; Circle/Back; Triangle/Options; X/Select; Display, etc.

This is what has worked for me. I'd be interested to see how others have remapped their Harmony remotes to their PS3, too. I have not seen any list of mapped buttons elsewhere.
post #99 of 205 Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 AM

I want to echo all the positive comments. Had originally bought an IR2BT, but when it broke due to the PS3 firmware update, the prospect of a month long wait for return and repair steered me to Ben's product.

Bought it in kit form. Assembly was a breeze. Works flawlessly and the best part is that it works with URC products including power down. Have used it with an MX-810 and a Pronto TSU9200.
post #100 of 205 Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 AM

Got mine quick, shipping was only $6.45, about a week. I am using this with my 890 Pro where my equipment in a closet. I got the Blu-ray remote on Amazon. Used a large set of pliers and gently pop open the bottom. The youtube video is all you need to set this up. No issues with the lag time, performs like most good IR remotes. I did have to remap some of the buttons to where I wanted them, like the ok button and the pop-up menu selection. Was quick to install and I had an extra Motoral RAZR charger sitting around to use. Way happy now with my PS3. The lack of IR almost got me to spend more money on a Blu-Ray player because I needed external decoding of TrueHD and DTS-HA MA.

Also the PDF file has the instructions on which remote settings to use on the Logitech site, and also there is a setting you have to change when exiting the PS3 device so the Logitech remote works right.
post #101 of 205 Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 AM

What button/command does the IR4PS3 use to power on the PS3? What happens if the PS3 is already on and the 'power on' command is sent? If the PS3 is off, and you send the 'power off' command, will this power on the PS3 (since it uses the PS button) or will it remain off?
post #102 of 205 Old 09-22-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post

What button/command does the IR4PS3 use to power on the PS3? What happens if the PS3 is already on and the 'power on' command is sent? If the PS3 is off, and you send the 'power off' command, will this power on the PS3 (since it uses the PS button) or will it remain off?

There are 3 buttons/commands in the harmony Database... PowerOn, PowerOff, PowerToggle. This first 2 are discrete codes. (PowerOff is actualy a macro built-in to the IR4PS3)

Quote:

If PS3 is OFF:
PowerON': Power on the PS3.
Other keys: No effect.

If PS3 is ON:
PowerON' or PowerToggle':
A short press displays the power level or contextual console menu. This feature emulates the PS button.
Holding down button will eventually popup the shutdown menu. If you release the button as the shutdown menu appears, you'll have manual control of the shutdown. This feature emulates the PS button.
Pressing button for at least 3 seconds will trigger the automatic shutdown when the button is released. This will in fact execute the PowerOFF' code.

PowerOFF':
Power off the PS3. Will work at any level of the PS3 operation (XBM, CD, Movie & PS3 Game) and will automatically performs the multiple steps required to shutdown a PS3.

post #103 of 205 Old 09-25-2008, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I had an issue the other day and was wondering if any else has seen it. I went to use my PS3 activity on my Harmony remote and everything would power up except the PS3. I turned everything else off and tried it again with the same result. I then unplugged the USB cable (My IR4PS3 is using my SA 8300HD cable boxes USB port for power) and plugged it back in to the cable box. I tried it again and everything worked. I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem using the USB on the IR4PS3 connected to a cable box. Should I invest in a straight power adapter? Thanks

Teddy
post #104 of 205 Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM

teddyc23 I've had that happen to me twice. Unplugging worked for me too. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to re-pair it. Mine is plugged into my satellite box.
post #105 of 205 Old 09-25-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 66
^ I am guessing that your IR4PS3 got "out of sync" with its power on/off commands, somehow. As best I can remember, the IR4PS3 power on/off commands must be used in "pairs"...it remembers where it is in the on/off sequence.

IOW I can't walk over to my PS3 and turn it on manually by inserting a disc or by the switch if I later want to turn it off using the IR4PS3. Similarly if I turn it off manually: the next time I can't turn it on with the IR4PS3. I think... I've got into a habit, so kinda forget these things I originally noticed.

So in your case, I'm guessing that you *may* have previously shut off the PS3 manually. Or that a PS3 off command got "lost", never got to the IR4PS3, and it's waiting for that off command before it will allow another on command. Anyway, you can manually get back in sync by issuing the required IR4PS3 off command, or by power cycling the IR4PS3. I don't think there's anything at all wrong with using the 8300 for power.
post #106 of 205 Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM

Got mine in and loving it so far with my Harmony remote.

Quick survey for Harmony users, what delay settings did you settle with for this?
post #107 of 205 Old 09-25-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks. That might be it. Sometimes I turn the PS3 of manually. I'll keep in mind it has to be turned on and off with the remote.

As far as delay settings I use:

100ms button delay
and I think all my equipment is 500ms for the ignore other device commands or whatever delay. I used to tweak everything, but sometimes ran into issues. Now I would rather have extra delays and be sure that it works.

Teddy
post #108 of 205 Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimsumx View Post

Got mine in and loving it so far with my Harmony remote.

Quick survey for Harmony users, what delay settings did you settle with for this?

I haven't change any of the delays (yet), but did change the number of commands sent from the default of 3 to 1. I did this because it would skip several items when in the XMB.
post #109 of 205 Old 10-04-2008, 07:28 AM

I got my IR4PS3 in about a week and a half, got my harmony 620's buttons tweaked to where I like them and am really enjoying the ability to easily turn the PS3 on and off with the harmony. One problem I am having though is a perceived delay in commands, particularly the directional pad, but I am thinking this may have to do with the "clicky" buttons on the 620 vs the soft PS3 remote buttons. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? It would be great if there was a harmony setting that could be changed, but if it's the buttons themselves, does anyone have suggestions for a better remote?
post #110 of 205 Old 10-06-2008, 05:01 PM

Nevermind, I figured out where the repeat settings are in the Harmony software, and by messing with that and the inter-key delay I got it working very well.
post #111 of 205 Old 10-06-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is anybody else having the problem where the remote suddenly stops working? I have had to re-pair the IR4PS3 a few times now. The first time I know that I disconnected the power temporarily. Is this happening to others. I have an MX-810 with RF base station and is still a little flaky so the last thing I need is another component that I have to debug when my PS3 stops responding to the remote.
post #112 of 205 Old 10-07-2008, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Got my IR4PS3. Running it off the USB for power. I downloaded the device for my MX-700 from Remote Central. All the keys seem to work except the P-OFF. That's fine as I don't mind using the controller to turn the PS3 off. I prefer leaving it on anyway and just turning the controllers off.

What I'm finding though is every time I power off the PS3, when I power it back on I have to re-pair the remote with the PS3 again.

Help
post #113 of 205 Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post

Got my IR4PS3. Running it off the USB for power. I downloaded the device for my MX-700 from Remote Central. All the keys seem to work except the P-OFF. That's fine as I don't mind using the controller to turn the PS3 off. I prefer leaving it on anyway and just turning the controllers off.

What I'm finding though is every time I power off the PS3, when I power it back on I have to re-pair the remote with the PS3 again.

Help

Hey.. that's bad news... I just purchased my IR4PS3 and my harmony 550... will I suffer the same troubles?

Any harmony 550 and IR4PS3 user had feedback on this?
post #114 of 205 Old 10-08-2008, 06:05 AM

Consultant - Not sure if your problem is the same. If you look above I asked a similar question. I guess the device needs the OFF command to know what state the PS3 is in. At first that was my problem. (I was powering on the PS3 with the IR4PS3, then manually powering it off) It now seems to sometimes not work but I did add an IR emitter near it. I am wondering if that was causing it to jam up, so I moved the emitter. If it still does not work sometimes I may try an AC adapter instead of using USB from the cable box. I am not sure how stable it is.

Teddy
post #115 of 205 Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post

Got my IR4PS3. Running it off the USB for power. ...

I trust that is not the USB port on the PS3!
post #116 of 205 Old 10-25-2008, 01:14 PM

I recently received a IR4PS3 to pair with my Harmony One remote.When I try to
register it by hitting the setup key on the remote nothing happens.I.m wondering if the IR4PS3 is powered up.Do I need to create a special key?Does it have a power LED?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
post #117 of 205 Old 10-26-2008, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
To those that purchased this already, if you had to do it again, would you purchase it again, or the ps3toothfairy? or something else?

I plan on puchasing a Harmony 1000 and would like to be able to use it with my PS3 with no hassles.

thanks
post #118 of 205 Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post

I recently received a IR4PS3 to pair with my Harmony One remote.When I try to
register it by hitting the setup key on the remote nothing happens.I.m wondering if the IR4PS3 is powered up.Do I need to create a special key?Does it have a power LED?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure about this since I was using the PS3 Remote before I moved it to the IR4PS3 (already paired).
I think there were directions in some of the documentation on how to pair it.
post #119 of 205 Old 10-26-2008, 12:48 PM

I went local Fry's and purchased a adjustable power supply,set it for 4.5 volts
and it worked.Need to make some adjustments to the remote.

Is anyone using the volume key.It's a pain to go to Devices,AV Receiver to turn up volume?

Thanks for the Help
Mark
post #120 of 205 Old 10-27-2008, 05:34 AM

mark - my volume key on my harmony one worked perfectly from the start. In the Harmony's setup, it asks how you want to control the volume, via tv or avr (something like that). So no matter what activity I'm in, the volume buttons always send commands to my avr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page