Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

I went down that road. The Nyko is a total waste of money and has very limited functionality. It only supports what's on the Sixaxis controller, nothing more. It ends up being a total PITA for using while watching movies. If you come to my house I will give you my Nyko. It's that useless.

lol where do you live? I kid I kid.

But seriously it is that bad? From what I heard the complaints where that it couldn't turn on the PS3 and Turn it off. Supposedly people figured you could still turn the PS3 off with the remote by going to the far left of the main menu and clicking the system off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post

lol where do you live? I kid I kid.

But seriously it is that bad? From what I heard the complaints where that it couldn't turn on the PS3 and Turn it off. Supposedly people figured you could still turn the PS3 off with the remote by going to the far left of the main menu and clicking the system off.

Watch some Blu-rays and use only the sixaxis controller. If you like the way it works, then the Nyko should be fine. It adds zero to what is on the game controller.

But if you like the shortcuts to things like subtitles or features utilizing the colored buttons, for example, the Nyko won't help you there. These are only on the Blu-ray remote and thus the IR4PS3.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #183 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The NYKO is hardly worthless. It's a decent solution, albeit not the best - but it is very inexpensive and compact.

I own the Sony remote and can't remember the last time I got it out, but I don't fiddle my player's settings every time I watch a movie either.
post #184 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post

The NYKO is hardly worthless. It's a decent solution, albeit not the best - but it is very inexpensive and compact.

I own the Sony remote and can't remember the last time I got it out, but I don't fiddle my player's settings every time I watch a movie either.

I don't usually fiddle with player settings, but I do like to turn on subtitles now and then. The Nyko doesn't have the ability to do that. You have to go into the disk menu to do that. Some of the newer disks support the color buttons. I like using them for saving and restoring bookmarks. The Nyko also doesn't support that use either.

Each to his own I guess, but I quickly came to the conclusion that buying the Nyko was a mistake. Fortunately, it was not expensive.

post #185 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 05:11 PM

The idea of getting the Harmony remote was to control (turn on and off) all my components with a single button. So without controlling my PS3 it was driving me nuts. The IR4PS3 now allows me to turn on and turn off my PS3 together with my HDTV and AVR receiver in one click. It's true that i can turn on the PS3 by inserting the blu-ray disc but there are also other stuff i can do on the PS3 that does not require the bluray disc like watch my videos, view photos and listen to music streamed from my media server. Also, i can view my thousands of pictures on slideshow, press PS button to go back the XMB and play my MP3s. I guess it's different for each person but having all the functionality on ONE remote just makes me happy.
post #186 of 205 Old 03-13-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

I went down that road. The Nyko is a total waste of money and has very limited functionality. It only supports what's on the Sixaxis controller, nothing more. It ends up being a total PITA for using while watching movies. If you come to my house I will give you my Nyko. It's that useless.

Same here. I used it for a year, and that was way too long. It's better than having to use the controller but not by a whole lot. There are so few buttons that it's difficult to get it to do what you want, and I also found it difficult to know which button did which function. All the buttons are listed as X, triangle, circle, L1, etc.

I have found a situation when the IR4PS3 won't turn off the PS3: Guitar Hero III. It just takes me to a screen of options like Turn Off Game, Turn Off Controller, Turn Off System, etc. If I exit the game first, it seems to still do the same thing. I'll have to mess around with it a little bit, but it's not the biggest deal in the world.
post #187 of 205 Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I just bought the IR4PS3 and I'm setting it up with my Harmony 890. I can't get the PS button to work. What command in the Harmony database for the IRPS3 are you all using to perform the PS button command. If I hit power off, the system cycles through the PS command and then shuts down. I can't stop it, obviously. If I hit the Power Toggle, the remote number and charge in the upper right hand corner of the screen pops up, but I don't get the PS screen with option to power down, change controller, etc...

What command have people used to mimic the PS button?

Thanks.
post #188 of 205 Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasiliff View Post

Hi,

I just bought the IR4PS3 and I'm setting it up with my Harmony 890. I can't get the PS button to work. What command in the Harmony database for the IRPS3 are you all using to perform the PS button command. If I hit power off, the system cycles through the PS command and then shuts down. I can't stop it, obviously. If I hit the Power Toggle, the remote number and charge in the upper right hand corner of the screen pops up, but I don't get the PS screen with option to power down, change controller, etc...

What command have people used to mimic the PS button?

Thanks.

I have Harmony 550. I mapped the PS button to my remote using 'Menu' and used 'Power On' from IR4PS3. Hope this helps.
post #189 of 205 Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
ody

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
As the originator of this thread I'd just like to say after 11months I don't even think about this any more
It just works!
post #190 of 205 Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 PM

ody, have you seen Logitech's version? I haven't seen any tech specs on it, so I don't know if it's like the ir2bt, that can be disabled. I doubt it uses ps3 guts, like the ir4ps3, so you never know. But, like you, I wouldn't even notice my ir4ps3 anymore except I use it to block the lights from my cable modem!
post #191 of 205 Old 05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Logitech has their Harmony PS3 Adapter now. Amazon shows it as available.

post #192 of 205 Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

I bought the Harmony solution. Very easy to set up & works perfect. Does not attach to the PS3 and I don't believe it needs to be in sight of the PS3 - just needs to be in sight of the remote.
post #193 of 205 Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 AM

Hi,
Just came across this on ebay. I use this and works great.

james
post #194 of 205 Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimsumx View Post

Quick survey for Harmony users, what delay settings did you settle with for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

I haven't change any of the delays (yet), but did change the number of commands sent from the default of 3 to 1. I did this because it would skip several items when in the XMB.

I have changed the delay to 300ms for Inter-Key & Inter-Device, as well as changing value of number of commands sent to 0 (zero).

This seemed to work for a while, but shortly it was jumping around again.
It will move 1, then a slight pause, then move 4. Its almost like its sending to long of a command sequence.

Thanks.
post #195 of 205 Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My IR4PS3 doesn't power off the console when in the new netflix app. Anyone find a workaround for this?
post #196 of 205 Old 11-11-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 298
After 4 years of use my IR4PS3 seems to have died.....anyone else unit stop working?

I'm now looking at the Logitech Harmony Adapter for PlayStation 3 unit
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Adapter-PlayStation-3/dp/B00267S7XW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1V1NOWTHR093Y&coliid=I39PY6XN5S98O4
post #197 of 205 Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 AM

My IR4PS3 is still kicking along.... that Harmony solution looks like the ticket. Too bad I have a URC remote!
post #198 of 205 Old 11-11-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Your URC can't import the pronto hex for the Logitech adapter?
post #199 of 205 Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Your URC can't import the pronto hex for the Logitech adapter?

I've got the programming software for my laptop, but i've never imported hex codes from another manufacturer. Anyone have a link on how this is accomplished so I can teach myself?

Thanks.
post #200 of 205 Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In case no URC owners answer, IIRC importing hex is pretty straight forward in the software. It's been years since I've done it, so I don't remember the details. The pronto hex codes for the logitech adapter are posted at remotecentral.com.

If you want to save some money, you could simply use HDMI-CEC for free or a cheaper dongle like the nyko blu-wave for around $12 (even less on ebay). If you strike out, PM me. I have a ton of cheap (non-logitech) PS3 adapters but no longer have a PS3. I'll even give you a bulk discount wink.gif. The only drawback of the cheap adapters is they won't do power commands.

Good luck
post #201 of 205 Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:

In case no URC owners answer, IIRC importing hex is pretty straight forward in the software. It's been years since I've done it, so I don't remember the details. The pronto hex codes for the logitech adapter are posted at remotecentral.com.
If you want to save some money, you could simply use HDMI-CEC for free or a cheaper dongle like the nyko blu-wave for around $12 (even less on ebay). If you strike out, PM me. I have a ton of cheap (non-logitech) PS3 adapters but no longer have a PS3. I'll even give you a bulk discount wink.gif. The only drawback of the cheap adapters is they won't do power commands.
Good luck

Thanks! I will ride out the IR4PS3 until she dies, but I am going to go ahead and try my luck at importing the hex codes into my software just to prove to myself that I can do it.
post #202 of 205 Old 11-04-2013, 03:56 PM

So I am curious, mine has worked flawlessly since it was launched. What are the odds it will work as is on the ps4?
post #203 of 205 Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiggyjk View Post

So I am curious, mine has worked flawlessly since it was launched. What are the odds it will work as is on the ps4?
Highly doubtful. Sony has already stated that their own PS3 bluetooth remote will not work on the PS4. So that doesn't bode well for other bluetooth devices. Thanks Sony mad.gif
post #204 of 205 Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Highly doubtful. Sony has already stated that their own PS3 bluetooth remote will not work on the PS4. So that doesn't bode well for other bluetooth devices. Thanks Sony mad.gif

This is going to annoy me. Ive grown way to accustomed to having everything controlled with the push of one button on my Harmony One. Looks like Ill have to create a activity that switches all the inputs for the PS4, turns the extras off, and I still have to manually turn on the system with the remote.

Hopefully someone comes up with another setup like the IR4PS3 as I would gladly buy another one.
post #205 of 205 Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Good luck
I tried the nyko and it was terrible! I don't recall the exact issue but it was literally unbearable after using the IR4PS3. Might have been the repeat rate, may have been that the IR4PS3 remembers whether your system is "off" or "on", idk.

Quote:

Mine stopped working to turn the system off some time ago -- the built-in off macro stopped working due to a system firmware update. I created my own macro (URC remote software) and after probably years of intermittent fiddling it works every single time. If you guys are interested in the macro I'd be happy to post it here for you. I haven't found a solid "off" macro anywhere.

Quote:

This is going to annoy me. Ive grown way to accustomed to having everything controlled with the push of one button on my Harmony One. Looks like Ill have to create a activity that switches all the inputs for the PS4, turns the extras off, and I still have to manually turn on the system with the remote.

Hopefully someone comes up with another setup like the IR4PS3 as I would gladly buy another one.
I think the PS4 is excluding support for a lot of it's capabilities at launch in order to get it out the door faster. I think the hardware is there and when they get the firmware settled they will add support for bluetooth. They probably really also want to sell more new controllers and stuff at launch! So don't toss your IR4PS3 just yet.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page