post #61 of 392 Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

Thank god we are starting to see stand-alone 2.0 players for under $400. Now i'll let you guys test them out and i'll buy one in the fall!

Of course this one is not a 2.0.

Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 392 Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

I agree Samsung is not the best choice for a BD player.

-Robert

And what would you recommend for 400? other than the ps3?

Tony B
post #63 of 392 Old 05-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanj View Post

^ What he means is can it decode Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and output it all channels PCM, or does it only output 2-channel PCM like the BD-UP5000.

Here is part of what it says in the manual under "Digital Output Selections".
Setting: PCM - Decodes Primary, secondary and effect audio streams together into PCM audio. You can enjoy Primary, Secondary and effect audio together. You can also enjoy Dolby TrueHD sound even if your receiver cannot decode Dolby TrueHD. You can not hear DTS-HD sound with this setting.
post #64 of 392 Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Of course this one is not a 2.0.

It is 2.0 ready. Which means it should be 2.0 after a FW update.
post #65 of 392 Old 05-06-2008, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

OK Guys. I couldn't help picking one up at my local Wal-Mart. They had two on display. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I've owned Sony and Panasonic players and now own the PS3. Here are my initial thoughts on the Samsung 1500 after playing with it for about an hour.

I can confirm that it does bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA to my Yamaha RX-V663 receiver. The picture is gorgeous. I do not have a Blu-ray test disc to actually look at resolution patterns, but it looks very sharp with great colors.

The biggest surprise? The disc loading times are much faster than I expected. I did not actually time them, but the discs I put in loaded at least as quickly, and perhaps more quickly, than what I remember the Panasonic BD30 load times were. I was especially surprised at how quickly Ratatouille loaded.

Again, these are just my first, early impressions. I'm going to put the player through its paces for a few days. If it continues to perform as well as it has, it's a keeper.

I'm looking forward to someone else verifying (or nullifying) my observations, especially about the load times.

2 things.

1. Is there a 480i output resolution option for DVD?
2. Can you verify with Dolby THD and DTS HDMA bitstreaming that all 5 channels are playing? (sounds like a dumb question, but the 5000 bitstreamed THD as 2 channel)

Thanks
post #66 of 392 Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post

2 things.

2. Can you verify with Dolby THD and DTS HDMA bitstreaming that all 5 channels are playing? (sounds like a dumb question, but the 5000 bitstreamed THD as 2 channel)

Thanks

#2 is not a dumb question in light of the 5000.

My other concern would be the 2.0 ready issue---Samsung and promised firmware?

If it performed as a dependable, glitch free player that bitstreamed(5.1 or 7.1) DTHD and DTSMA---I'd be happy with it.

Tony B
post #67 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:

2 things.

Thanks

1. There is a chart in the user manual called "Resolution According to the Output Mode". Not surprisingly, it's a little unclear, however, according to this chart, for DVD playback, it will output 480i if you have both HDMI and component connected. If only component is connected, it will output 480p. There is also a note on the page that describes how to connect a component cable. The note says, "In DVD playback, if both HDMI and Component jacks are connected and you select the Component mode, the Display Setup menu will show the output resolution as 1080p. The resolution is actually 480i." Weird, huh? I have not tried these settings to confirm. I'm only going by what the chart says.

2. As I recall (it's early in the morning here now), when I played discs last night, there was audio from all speakers for both Dolby THD and DTS HDMA. I've not been keeping up with the 5000, but yes, 2-channel THD is really a dumb move on Samsung's part!

This is my first Samsung product. I am aware of the problems with their previous players, so I was expecting much less from this player than what I saw and heard. If it continues to perform as well as it did during my first evening with it, I'll be extremely pleased with my purchase. I keep waiting to find something I don't like. Perhaps I eventually will, but for now, I'm considering returning my noisy PS3 and keeping the Samsung.
post #68 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

There is no current player under $1500 that has a better picture.I will bet you $500.00 to prove me wrong.

BD30 and Pioneer Elite 95FD. So when do I get my $1,000? If you seriously think the Samsung has a better picture quality or processors than these two you are an .......................
post #69 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

#2 is not a dumb question in light of the 5000.

My other concern would be the 2.0 ready issue---Samsung and promised firmware?

If it performed as a dependable, glitch free player that bitstreamed(5.1 or 7.1) DTHD and DTSMA---I'd be happy with it.

Completely agree.
post #70 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

1. There is a chart in the user manual called "Resolution According to the Output Mode". Not surprisingly, it's a little unclear, however, according to this chart, for DVD playback, it will output 480i if you have both HDMI and component connected. If only component is connected, it will output 480p. There is also a note on the page that describes how to connect a component cable. The note says, "In DVD playback, if both HDMI and Component jacks are connected and you select the Component mode, the Display Setup menu will show the output resolution as 1080p. The resolution is actually 480i." Weird, huh? I have not tried these settings to confirm. I'm only going by what the chart says.

2. As I recall (it's early in the morning here now), when I played discs last night, there was audio from all speakers for both Dolby THD and DTS HDMA. I've not been keeping up with the 5000, but yes, 2-channel THD is really a dumb move on Samsung's part!

This is my first Samsung product. I am aware of the problems with their previous players, so I was expecting much less from this player than what I saw and heard. If it continues to perform as well as it did during my first evening with it, I'll be extremely pleased with my purchase. I keep waiting to find something I don't like. Perhaps I eventually will, but for now, I'm considering returning my noisy PS3 and keeping the Samsung.

Sorry to bug, do you have it hooked up via HDMI? If you do, would you mind checking the player's set-up menu to see if it allows you to output 480i?

Thanks in advance.
post #71 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 11:48 AM

Liked: 11
I was at my local Walmart today and I saw both the Magnavox and Samsung BDP-1500 blu ray players. The Magnavox was $288 and the Samsung was $348. I can confirm that the box on the Samsung said it was BD Live ready, that was something I was looking into. I am in Connecticut.
Cheap players are here sooner than I thought.
Go blu ray.

Cheers
post #72 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel802 View Post

I was at my local Walmart today and I saw both the Magnavox and Samsung BDP-1500 blu ray players. The Magnavox was $288 and the Samsung was $348. I can confirm that the box on the Samsung said it was BD Live ready, that was something I was looking into. I am in Connecticut.
Go blu ray.

Cheers

Grrrr, I have been calling every WM in my area and EVERY one of them says they have 0 BR players of any kind.

I am thinking about just going to a couple of the super centers, hoping the workers have no idea what they are talking about.
post #73 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Grrrr, I have been calling every WM in my area and EVERY one of them says they have 0 BR players of any kind.

I am thinking about just going to a couple of the super centers, hoping the workers have no idea what they are talking about.

He's in CT. Here in TX, I've only seen the Sony BDP-S300 at Wally World.
post #74 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel802 View Post

Go blu ray.

Cheers

BD Live Ready = if Samsung releases a firmware update for it.
post #75 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

BD Live Ready = if Samsung releases a firmware update for it.

I'm skeptical too, but I haven't owned a BD of any kind. I've read about the support and/or lack there of re. firmware..but, I don't know the specifics. Maybe there is hope here--sounds like the 1400 owners are fairly happy and many 1200 and 5000 owners are not. Samsung does a "track record" with this being the 5th player released. If it was a solid player and fireware works, it could be a pleasant surprise. It sure looks good--but so does the 5000

Tony B
post #76 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

They'll release a FW later and you'll have to Buy a 1gig SD card for storage.. not that's expensive anyway LOL!

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #77 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Captain Spaulding, any issues with dropouts on Dolby TrueHD discs like people are reporting with the Panasonic BD30?
post #78 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

Captain Spaulding, any issues with dropouts on Dolby TrueHD discs like people are reporting with the Panasonic BD30?

I have not spent a lot of time with it yet, but so far I've heard no dropouts on Dolby TrueHD.
post #79 of 392 Old 05-07-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Captain, is there anything like a "Source direct" mode where it output 1080i for 1080i discs and 1080p24 for 1080p24 discs, etc?

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #80 of 392 Old 05-08-2008, 01:21 AM
SRR
AVS Special Member

After the last firmware update for the 1400 my 1400 has been flawless, for $250 I think I got a good deal. Now if the 1500 is as stable and at least gives me multi channel LPCM out via HDMI, oh and Blu-ray live goes LIVE in the player, for $350 bones, sure why not. I will wait for the firmware that gets it to LIVE, then probably pick one up.

BTW, not bit streaming True-HD and DTS-MA is fine, since the player is decoding that stream and decoding the directors/actors commentaries too, and then mix them together and output as LPCM (that is for SOME special features if the disc has them). As long as its more then 2 channel we, and with we, I mean wife and myself are set for a long time, assuming all concerns laid out in this thread are addressed. I would rather not pay $700 for a player (panny) and Sony will not take my money directly if I can help it, ok I have a used Sony AW15 projector, and a goodwill 5 disc sony cd changer, goodwill got $20-30 of my money, and some guy on the forums got some good money for a used projector.

Oh and I am glad to read that it loads semi fast.
post #81 of 392 Old 05-08-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Captain, is there anything like a "Source direct" mode where it output 1080i for 1080i discs and 1080p24 for 1080p24 discs, etc?

No. There's an option in the setup menu to turn 24fps on and off, but that's it.
post #82 of 392 Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post

BTW, not bit streaming True-HD and DTS-MA is fine, since the player is decoding that stream and decoding the directors/actors commentaries too, and then mix them together and output as LPCM (that is for SOME special features if the disc has them).

Hi,

If this article is correct the BD-P1500 won't decode DTS-HD Master Audio:

Samsung BD-P1500 will be 'BD-Live ready,' but won't decode DTS-HD Master Audio

Quote:

But while Samsung giveth future BD-Live support, it taketh away DTS-HD Master Audio decoding. We originally reported that the BD-P1500 would have onboard DTS-HD Master Audio decoding--based on what we were told by Samsung--but now we're been told that the BD-P1500 won't have DTS-HD Master Audio decoding and that DTS-HD High Resolution decoding will only be supported by a future firmware update, no word as to when that update is coming.

Larry
post #83 of 392 Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 AM

Liked: 14
when it will be available at BB or CC? will it decode TrueHD (2 channels) only?
post #84 of 392 Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Any more input on this player by any new owners?
post #85 of 392 Old 05-09-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I might have been interested in this unit until I started to read about its audio limitations. I have an older Onkyo AV receiver that does not have HDMI inputs and I've always connected my regular and HD DVD deck via the optical audio output. I assume that with SD DVDs I will still get Dolby or DTS 5.1 output but what will I get with a Blu-ray disc?
post #86 of 392 Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM
FFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I assume that with SD DVDs I will still get Dolby or DTS 5.1 output but what will I get with a Blu-ray disc?

At least the core of the tracks, which means a high rate Dolby Digital or DTS. So it should be better than almost any DVD track.

Then maybe it can output the new HD codec (except DTS MA) on analog outputs, but I'm not really sure about that... Would be nice though, even if the lack of DTS MA is clearly disappointing.
post #87 of 392 Old 05-09-2008, 06:36 PM

I've read from some that have gotten one that it may be updated later with a firmware update for DTS MA and will currently decode Dolby Tru-HD now. Anyone else know anything?

Thanks.
post #88 of 392 Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFF View Post

At least the core of the tracks, which means a high rate Dolby Digital or DTS. So it should be better than almost any DVD track.

Then maybe it can output the new HD codec (except DTS MA) on analog outputs, but I'm not really sure about that... Would be nice though, even if the lack of DTS MA is clearly disappointing.

From some the pictures of the back that I've seen, the deck does not have the multi-channel analogue outputs.
post #89 of 392 Old 05-10-2008, 03:02 AM
FFF

So they removed the analog outs? Captain, could you confirm that plz?
post #90 of 392 Old 05-10-2008, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFF View Post

So they removed the analog outs? Captain, could you confirm that plz?

There are only left/right analogue outputs.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page