The first generation of Blu-ray Disc (BD) players manufactured by Funai are now (early May 2008) starting to work their way to retailers. Funai is a Japanese company with manufacturing factories in China. They are the largest manufacturer of DVD players (making over one half of all DVD players sold in North America). They are an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for many familiar 2nd-tier brand names including:
- Magnavox (Status: starting to show up at some Walmarts at $298)
- Sylvania NB500SL9 (Status: multiple e'tailers, e.g, Amazon, are taking pre-orders)
- Philips BDP7200 (probably a Funai OEM BD player - Status: expected soon at retailers)
- Emerson (Status: ?)
- Insignia (Status: Expected soon at Best Buy)
- Pye (Status: ? at Circuit City)Note: While Funai also is reported to be the OEM for several models of Denon DVD players, the OEM for the current Denon BD players is unknown.
The retail prices for the Funai manfactured BD players already announced are in the $349 to $399 price range.
Summary of features (to be updated as more information becomes available)
- Profile 1.1 BD Player
- Video Output Resolutions: 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p (1080p/24 and 1080p/60)
- DVD Upconversion to 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- Support for HD Audio Formats: (probaby bitstream output, no internal decoding)
- HDMI Ver. 1.3
- Weight 9.5 lbs.
- Dimensions: 17.2" x 13.9" x 2.8" (exact dimensions may vary by brand)
Here are links to information related to the Funai manufactured BD players:Funai USA Press ReleaseOwner's Manual for Magnavox NB500MG9
(Sylvania owner's manual should be virtually identical)Insignia BD Player ThreadSylvania NB500SL9 (Amazon Listing)Philips BDP7200 CNET Review
(probably a Funai OEM BD player)