AVS Forum banner

The Official Samsung BD-P1500 Owner's Thread

893K views 6K replies 936 participants last post by  Matt1966 
#1 ·
#4,711 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdrumz /forum/post/16547571

Weird Problem here. PLEASE HELP!! I have a new Samsung BD P1500 Bluray player hooked up to a new Samsung LN52A630 LCD TV. When I first turn on the bluray player I see a crisp blue screen with the word "SAMSUNG" as a welcome screen. It's very HD looking with sharp and clear definition all the way around. THEN the player goes into it's "load" phase and my TV goes black for a few seconds and shows the "Searching For Signal" bar. Finally the blue "SAMSUNG" welcome screen comes back on and it looks like crap! The letters of the "SAMSUNG" are all jagged (especially on the M and the N) and I can see every pixel quite clearly.

What does it displays on the lcd screen on the player. What resolution does it says it has in the second phase?

When the player starts it first tries 1080i and shows it logo. When it boots up further, it tries to negotiate with your tv. Maybe this handshake fails and the player goes down to 720p. The logo is designed for 1080i/p, so when it downscales to 720p the logo looks crappy.

You can try to set it manually back to 1080i/p in the menu.

#4,712 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 /forum/post/16511085

There is no low-end player that doesn't exhibit a layer transition. Whether it noticeably interrupts the video flow generally has more to do with the disc than the player. Blu-ray is disadvantaged because the laser doesn't adjust as fast on the red diode. It's designed and calibrated to make a shorter, more precise change in focal length for the blue wavelength, not the greater adjustment on a red wavelength, and thus all cheap Blu-ray players are inferior to the best pure-function DVD players.

You still haven't explained the issue. Is it a long pause (greater than one second)? If not, it's normal, and all players do it on some discs, save the high-end equipment with large decoding buffers.

If you want to witness a slow layer change, look at e.g. the Pioneer 320, which has a known issue with standard DVDs. A brief hiccup of a fraction of a second is normal on some titles, and there is certainly no "$30 DVD player" that can avoid the issue entirely. The laws of physics still apply. The XBox 360 does a good job because it uses a higher quality, higher speed drive than most standalone products.

I am having the same problem but the pause is more than just a second, in fact on multiple DVDs it just freezes and i have to hit pause on the player, then rewind and fastforward past the spot. on some disks it happens more than once, its really annoying, is there anything i can do for that?

#4,713 ·
Is this model discontinued? Amazon had this model earlier this week for $180. I check Amazon today because I was all set to order it and now it's $205 and you can only order it through a third party now. I checked Best Buy and PC Richards and they don't have this model in stock anymore. This is sad. This is such a great player with great reviews at a nice price and they pull it off the shelves.

#4,714 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/16549356

Is this model discontinued? Amazon had this model earlier this week for $180. I check Amazon today because I was all set to order it and now it's $205 and you can only order it through a third party now. I checked Best Buy and PC Richards and they don't have this model in stock anymore. This is sad. This is such a great player with great reviews at a nice price and they pull it off the shelves.

Given that the P1600 has been out for a bit now, it's not much of a surprise.

#4,715 ·
Hey, I had a question:

My friend recorded my son playing football w/ a HD camcorder. Here are the specs of the video:

Format: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Type: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC (audio)

Its around 800 mb, so I was wondering if I could burn it to a dvd (regular) and play it on this blu ray player - since the video is in hd, would this be in hd as well? its 720p. Is there anything special I would have to do? any converting?

#4,716 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaak /forum/post/16547884

What does it displays on the lcd screen on the player. What resolution does it says it has in the second phase?

When the player starts it first tries 1080i and shows it logo. When it boots up further, it tries to negotiate with your tv. Maybe this handshake fails and the player goes down to 720p. The logo is designed for 1080i/p, so when it downscales to 720p the logo looks crappy.

You can try to set it manually back to 1080i/p in the menu.

The player just says "LOAD" when I turn it on and the TV says 1080i (and it should say 1080p). When the picture resets after it goes black the TV says 1080 (no "i" or "p") and the player says 1080p. In the menu it's still set at 1080p as well. The image is obviously in 720 or less though. It's very strange.

#4,718 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/16550143

But that one is $100 more. With Blu-ray being out for quite some time now, these players should be cheaper than $250. Even my first DVD player wasn't that much when I bought it in 2000.

No, it's not. Go here and put four $12.99 Blu-rays in your cart. At checkout, put in the code "SAMSDISC". Around $176 out the door with free shipping.

#4,719 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausdaddy /forum/post/16550243

No, it's not. Go here and put four $12.99 Blu-rays in your cart. At checkout, put in the code "SAMSDISC". Around $176 out the door with free shipping.

Wow!! Thank you so much. I just ordered it along with Superman, Eraser, Rush Hour 3, and The Invasion. All this for $198, tax included. The only downfall is they're shipping the player one week before the movies get shipped, but whatcha gonna do!

#4,720 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1698 /forum/post/16549834

Hey, I had a question:

My friend recorded my son playing football w/ a HD camcorder. Here are the specs of the video:

Format: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Type: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC (audio)

Its around 800 mb, so I was wondering if I could burn it to a dvd (regular) and play it on this blu ray player - since the video is in hd, would this be in hd as well? its 720p. Is there anything special I would have to do? any converting?

Anyone?

#4,721 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhpatsfan182 /forum/post/16549145

I am having the same problem but the pause is more than just a second, in fact on multiple DVDs it just freezes and i have to hit pause on the player, then rewind and fastforward past the spot. on some disks it happens more than once, its really annoying, is there anything i can do for that?

need help, anyone know anything regarding this

#4,722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhpatsfan182 /forum/post/16549145

Send it in for service. It shouldn't be "freezing" or otherwise requiring intervention at all. It might skip or hang for a fraction of a second, but if it's taking several seconds or not advancing at all, it's broken.

#4,723 ·
I have a BD-P1500 with the current firmware release (2.4). I have connected it via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR706. The Samsung logo page will come up for about 10 seconds, then all video will stop. Audio works fine.

When I connect the player via component cables, video is fine.

Any suggestions for getting HDMI working? Am I missing some kind of handshake setting somewhere?

Thanks!

#4,725 ·
I have my Yamaha HTR6160 hooked up via HDMI to a Panasonic 42"px500u, which has a maximum input resolution of 1080i. I also have a Samsung blu-ray player BD-P1500, which has a maximum output resolution of 1080p. I can do a manual setup where the 1500 is set to 1080i output, which works great with one problem.

If the power up sequence has the TV off but the Yamaha on, the Samsung blu-ray 1500 resets itself to 1080p. This makes the menu for resetting the resolution unavailable to the user. Resequencing the system doesn't reset the resolution to 1080i. I can do a hard reset and re-enter all the settings, but it is a PITA and the family isn't likely to do this if I am out.

It seems in layman's terms the Yamaha broadcasts that it has 1080p capability in absence of a 1080i monitor. The Samsung picks up on this and reconfigures itself automatically.

Is there any way of setting the Samung to not automatically reset itself?

#4,726 ·
Just hooked up the BD-P1500 to my new Yamaha RX-V465 AVR and Polk RM6750 speakers; just a "teeny" bit of difference from my old Panasonic HTIB. I popped in season 1 of Star Trek:TOS last night. Wow! William Shatner overacting in DTS-HD Master Audio.

Anyway, given the HDMI 1.3 connectivity to the Yamaha, is there any reason to ever output "Bitstream: Re-encode"? Wouldn't I just stick with "Bitstream: Audiophile" for DTS-HD Master Audio and PCM if I wanted to access "Primary/Secondary/Effect" audio?

Thanks!!!

#4,727 ·
@rwestley

I don't have a "set", its a celing mounted projector. And it would be something of a major undertaking to direct connect it. Plus, the input on the projector is an HDMI-DVI adapter, and I am not sure if it would play nice (though it is supposed to be HDCP compliant).

#4,728 ·
I now understand why it would be difficult for you to try a direct connection. Could you give us more information on the projector that you are using. Some projector that are supposed to be HDCP compliant have all kinds of issues with the handshake process. It could also be an issue with you cable. How long is it?

#4,729 ·
I watched about 2/3 of Star Trek II blu-ray yesterday. Stopped it for a bit, but when I came back to it, it said disc could not be played. I tried several times but no-go.

Today I tried Trek V and VI. Then tried to update firmware via internet. Says it is up to date. Thinking it might be corrupted, I downloaded newest firmware, unzipped to USB and updated again. Still will not play any blu disc I try, but WILL play standard DVDs.

Anyone else having an experience similar to mine lately?

#4,730 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Good /forum/post/16567479

I watched about 2/3 of Star Trek II blu-ray yesterday. Stopped it for a bit, but when I came back to it, it said disc could not be played. I tried several times but no-go.

Today I tried Trek V and VI. Then tried to update firmware via internet. Says it is up to date. Thinking it might be corrupted, I downloaded newest firmware, unzipped to USB and updated again. Still will not play any blu disc I try, but WILL play standard DVDs.

Anyone else having an experience similar to mine lately?

i have the 1500 as well and did not have any problems playing these discs in my player

#4,731 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh /forum/post/16569211

i have the 1500 as well and didnt not have any problems playing these discs in my player

Sounds to me like this is a case of the player overheating to me.

I put rubber feet on mine to raise it up so that more air can flow.

Was running VERY hot before I did that and now just hot!

I would suggest doing something like this and see if you still have the troubles.

#4,732 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow /forum/post/16507463

Is it just me, or does this player handle layer changes on a DVD particularly badly? I'm considering going back to my 360 for standard-DVD viewing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 /forum/post/16511085

Blu-ray is disadvantaged because the laser doesn't adjust as fast on the red diode. It's designed and calibrated to make a shorter, more precise change in focal length for the blue wavelength, not the greater adjustment on a red wavelength, and thus all cheap Blu-ray players are inferior to the best pure-function DVD players.

I just got the BD-P1600 Blu-ray player and I see what sirjonsnow is talking about. These players take a good 4-5 seconds to switch layers on DVDs so the pause is quite long. I guess matticus008 hit the nail on the head when he said it was due to the blue laser not being as good as the red ones. It doesn't really matter anyway. I have a separate DVD player to play my DVDs. But on the plus side, the upconversion is pretty good.

#4,733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsjonesavs /forum/post/16572740

Sounds to me like this is a case of the player overheating to me.

I put rubber feet on mine to raise it up so that more air can flow.

Was running VERY hot before I did that and now just hot!

I would suggest doing something like this and see if you still have the troubles.

I wish that were the case. From being powered down for a couple of days, I turn it on and still refuses to play any Blu-ray discs. Standard DVDs play fine. Contacted Samsung and am faxing my invoice, etc. We'll see what happens...

This player is hooked up to a secondary system in the house and has played a total of 5 discs since March 1st. Until two days ago, no problems. After the last firmware update, trouble started.

#4,734 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/16579697

These players take a good 4-5 seconds to switch layers on DVDs so the pause is quite long.

That is not normal. The layer change should be in the sub-600ms range on most/all DVDs. The sudden stop often appears to people longer than it actually is because they're engrossed in the movie and suddenly the picture jolts. If you can actually watch the second hand on a watch tick multiple times on all DVD discs while the scene is frozen, the mechanism is defective.

Title change from e.g. menu selections is another matter and that can take a few seconds.

#4,735 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus008 /forum/post/16581783

That is not normal. The layer change should be in the sub-600ms range on most/all DVDs. The sudden stop often appears to people longer than it actually is because they're engrossed in the movie and suddenly the picture jolts. If you can actually watch the second hand on a watch tick multiple times on all DVD discs while the scene is frozen, the mechanism is defective.

I think the player is ok. I researched about this and it seems like Blu-ray players, in general, handle layer change very badly, probably due to the reason you mentioned earlier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.