post #541 of 5647 Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

3 GB sounds like a large amount of overkill for the amount of ram. I have not seen the interior pictures or part numbers myself, but are you sure that you are not getting GB and Gb confused? Most individual ram chips are listed in Gb or Mb. GB=gigabyte, Gb=gigabit, and there are 8 bits to a byte. So if it is 2 and 1 Gb of ram, that would be 256MB and 128MB, respectively. Logically, I would think that would divide into system memory vs graphics memory, and sounds like more realistic amounts for a not-too-expensive player.

Your right it is Gigabits, my bad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 04:56 AM

So it's probably not 2.0 ready then ?
post #543 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhazeldene View Post

So it's probably not 2.0 ready then ?

Yes, it is 2.0 Ready. 2.0 has nothing to do with the amount of system RAM. The memory requirement for 2.0 is for storage, not RAM.
post #544 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post

Dammit! We just bought the 1500 over 3 weeks ago from Wal-Mart for $348.

Does anyone think the store will simply give us a $100 gift card as a price guarantee or will we have to actually return it and then re-buy? Help!

I'm trying to figure that out myself, as I'm in the same boat.

I've been trying to find a Best Buy with them in stock to see if they'll match, as I'd rather have the GC there.

Non of the Wally World's have 'em stock either, so I can't buy another and return it under the previous receipt (unopened, so they can sell as new).

My last resort may be to try and get a manager to toss in the GC for the previous buy...

-Steve
post #545 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Watching this player trying to load up Sahara is like watching paint dry. I am X'ing off my calendar to the date I have to return it to BB.
post #546 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

Yes, it is 2.0 Ready. 2.0 has nothing to do with the amount of system RAM. The memory requirement for 2.0 is for storage, not RAM.

So to be clear. It has four of these: Qimonda 1Gb DRAM Chip.

The combined total for these is 512MB system RAM.

Are you saying that you have some reason to believe that there is an additional 1GB of non-volatile flash RAM (i.e. persistent storage) in the unit somewhere?

Are are you suggesting that it's profile 2.0 ready, but you will need to supply your own persistent storage (i.e. a USB drive)?

-Steve
post #547 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 AM

just bought a samsung bd1500 just checking what settings i should be using.
I have the samsung 1500 hooked to a pioneer hd5070 thru hdmi and the audio hooked to a harmon kardon 7200 receiver thru an optical cable. What audio and video settings should i set the samsung 1500 to. to confusing

thanks hal
post #548 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i know this might be off the topic, but i was at best buy yesterday. just about to pickup the samsung bd-p1500 blu-ray player. the sales guy kept trying to sell me monster hdmi cables. he kept saying how good these cables are. sure, for 3-6x amount for my philips shielded hdmi cable. are monster hdmi cables really that good? how many blu-rayers use monster hdmi here???

Samsung UN75H7150 75" LEDTV
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR828 receiver
Paradigm Monitor 7 v5 floor speakers & CC-190 center
Paradigm Atom v6
SVS PB1-ISD subwoofer/Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #549 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Monster= overpriced snakeoil.

ESPECIALLY for HDMI, which either work or they don't.

I'm a $10 Monoprice type of guy myself.

-Steve
post #550 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought $10 Monoprices, and the things are so stiff from all the shielding that it threatened to break my input jacks from all the torque. I tossed all of them and bought Monster.
post #551 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumulee View Post

i know this might be off the topic, but i was at best buy yesterday. just about to pickup the samsung bd-p1500 blu-ray player. the sales guy kept trying to sell me monster hdmi cables. he kept saying how good these cables are. sure, for 3-6x amount for my philips shielded hdmi cable. are monster hdmi cables really that good? how many blu-rayers use monster hdmi here???

This has been extensively discussed and the answer is DON'T waste your money. Great cables can be had for 10-20 bucks via one of the AVS sponsors or Amazon. (I just got some of their's from CablesUnlimited)Just make sure the cables are 1.3 rated. Some don't say that, but are. You'll just have to research it a little. Many say one can't go wrong with Monoprice.

Tony B
post #552 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

I bought $10 Monoprices, and the things are so stiff from all the shielding that it threatened to break my input jacks from all the torque. I tossed all of them and bought Monster.

Not sure what you ordered then. I have everything fromm 3 to 35 footers and they are flexible enough and I haven't killed an HDMI jack yet.

You shoulda sent them to me... I would have paid the shipping.

-Steve
post #553 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

best cable ever! Easily not worth the money.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #554 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

Not sure what you ordered then. I have everything fromm 3 to 35 footers and they are flexible enough and I haven't killed an HDMI jack yet.

You shoulda sent them to me... I would have paid the shipping.

I didn't actually toss them, they are sitting in a closet. I have two 6 footers and a 10.
post #555 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I didn't actually toss them, they are sitting in a closet. I have two 6 footers and a 10.

You have a cable graveyard too?

Tony B
post #556 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

On another note, WM now has the 1500 on the website @349. This may be ammo to get the WM's to drop the 388 price(those that have that price).

Tony B
post #557 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal1dru View Post

I have the samsung 1500 hooked to a pioneer hd5070 thru hdmi and the audio hooked to a harmon kardon 7200 receiver thru an optical cable. What audio and video settings should i set the samsung 1500 to. to confusing

thanks hal

It should be set to Bitstream (re-encode). This will give you better quality when listening to DD+ and TrueHD sound tracks as the player will internally decode and re-encode as DTS for spdif which is limited to DTS. DTS-HD sound tracks will play the "DTS core" either way via this output.

If you want to actually take full advantage of TrueHD and DTS-HD, you'll have to upgrade to a receiver that has an HDMI input. This receiver doesn't necessarily need to be able to decode TrueHD or DTS-HD, as the player can. The current firmware can't decode DTS-HD, but it has been promised in an update.

If you're older receiver does have HDMI, but not HDMI 1.3, then you want to set the player to PCM. If youre AVR has HDMI 1.3 then you might prefer Bitstream (audiophile), but some still prefer PCM.

If you really want to understand the whole thing, read this.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...hd-and-dts-hd/

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #558 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it does.

When I first picked it up a couple weeks back, my Logitech Harmony remote only could find the BD-P1400 in it's database, so I used that, and it did appear to toggle the power on the unit.

A week or so later the 1500 showed up in the Harmony database, and since then it appears to be controlled as a discrete on/off device.

Can anybody else confirm if the 1500 does indeed have discrete on/off codes available? Thanks.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #559 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can send them to...

-Steve
post #560 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal1dru View Post

thanks hal

RE-ENCODE - People used this if you are connected optical.

Quote:

I used monoprice.

Quote:

Monster= overpriced snakeoil.

ESPECIALLY for HDMI, which either work or they don't.

I'm a $10 Monoprice type of guy myself.

+1

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #561 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

It should be set to Bitstream (re-encode). This will give you better quality when listening to DD+ and TrueHD sound tracks as the player will internally decode and re-encode as DTS for spdif which is limited to DTS. DTS-HD sound tracks will play the "DTS core" either way via this output.

If you want to actually take full advantage of TrueHD and DTS-HD, you'll have to upgrade to a receiver that has an HDMI input. This receiver doesn't necessarily need to be able to decode TrueHD or DTS-HD, as the player can. The current firmware can't decode DTS-HD, but it has been promised in an update.

If you're older receiver does have HDMI, but not HDMI 1.3, then you want to set the player to PCM. If youre AVR has HDMI 1.3 then you might prefer Bitstream (audiophile), but some still prefer PCM.

If you really want to understand the whole thing, read this.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...hd-and-dts-hd/

Good points.

Peter
post #562 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

RE-ENCODE - People used this if you are connected optical.

I used monoprice.

+1

Another vote for Monoprice! I LOVE that site and I have purchased cables for my entire setup, including speaker wire and still spent less than what Monster wants for a 15' HDMI cable! Ridiculous.
post #563 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Agree with Monoprice. Great cables for great prices. Blue Jeans Cable is an excellent company as well.
post #564 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 PM

Anyone successfully played Semi-Pro on their 1500? I got a copy from netflix and when the menu comes up, it just plays the music with trading cards moving around the screen but no actual menu options ever appear. The remote is pretty much limited to "Stop". I don't know if there's an incompatibility or if I just got ahold of a bad disc. Thanks.
post #565 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So to be clear. It has four of these: Qimonda 1Gb DRAM Chip.

The combined total for these is 512MB system RAM.

Are you saying that you have some reason to believe that there is an additional 1GB of non-volatile flash RAM (i.e. persistent storage) in the unit somewhere?

Are are you suggesting that it's profile 2.0 ready, but you will need to supply your own persistent storage (i.e. a USB drive)?

It already has persistent memory. Under the persistent memory manager, it shows internal flash memory as an option. Unfortunately, the current firmware does not allow you to see how much free internal flash memory is available. You can only check the available memory if you already have something saved to it. Further, the firmware is on a chip (a sticker covers the chip info). The area around this chip is labeled as FLash NAND. Further, the circuit path traces back to the broadcom, which can control one NAND. So it is possible that the fimware may not be an an EEPROM, but rather on some sort of flash or EEPROM/Flash combo chip.

All we know for sure now is that the play does have some amount of internal flash memory for persistent storage. With the price of NAND flash so low, I don't think it would cost much more to but in 1GB as it would 256MB of Flash. The only way to know for sure is for someone to open theirs up and peel off the firmware sticker.
post #566 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

So we currently still have potential issues with Semi-Pro and Jumper...

Can anyone else out there chime in if they can repeat the same problems?
post #567 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmac1 View Post

Anyone successfully played Semi-Pro on their 1500? I got a copy from netflix and when the menu comes up, it just plays the music with trading cards moving around the screen but no actually menu options ever appear. The remote is pretty much limited to "Stop". I don't know if there's an incompatibility or if I just got ahold of a bad disc. Thanks.

I had Semi-Pro from Netflix as well. It played. There was one skip in the middle of the movie, and I didn't see if it was repeatable.

Dave
post #568 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I was interested in this until I found out that this unit will not play DVD-RAM,DVD+RW and DVD+R discs per the manual. That is unacceptable.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #569 of 5647 Old 06-13-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstagl View Post

I had Semi-Pro from Netflix as well. It played. There was one skip in the middle of the movie, and I didn't see if it was repeatable.

Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for the feedback.

Do you recall what happened when you were at the menu. Here's what I'm observing:

1. It takes forever to load (WAY longer than any other disc I've tried) and I never get the "Some discs take 2-3 minutes to display" message.
2. It plays the studio's logo
3. It plays the dumb "you don't always die from smoking" music video
4. It comes up to what the player thinks is a menu where some music plays and a bunch of Flint Tropics trading cards float around the screen. It looks and sounds good. However...

At this point, it just loops and I can't do anything with the remote other than Stop. I never get anything resembling menu options.

Thanks.
post #570 of 5647 Old 06-14-2008, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmac1 View Post

Hi Dave. Thanks for the feedback.

Do you recall what happened when you were at the menu. Here's what I'm observing:

1. It takes forever to load (WAY longer than any other disc I've tried) and I never get the "Some discs take 2-3 minutes to display" message.
2. It plays the studio's logo
3. It plays the dumb "you don't always die from smoking" music video
4. It comes up to what the player thinks is a menu where some music plays and a bunch of Flint Tropics trading cards float around the screen. It looks and sounds good. However...

At this point, it just loops and I can't do anything with the remote other than Stop. I never get anything resembling menu options.

Thanks.

This could be a disc issue. By the way I just watch I am legend WOW the picture is stunning I think that movie should be TIER O.

Peter
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page