The Official Samsung BD-P1500 Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Curious, I am having problems get a network connection. My cable is fine and have set up my network manually with both the IP and DNS numbers but it will not connect. Has anyone else had this problem. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

Ditto.

Thirded.

-Steve
post #633 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShlansky View Post

Curious, I am having problems get a network connection. My cable is fine and have set up my network manually with both the IP and DNS numbers but it will not connect. Has anyone else had this problem. Thanks

I'm not sure that there's much out there for it to connect to yet.

What are you attempting to do?

-Steve
post #634 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:01 AM

I am trying to do a software update, if one is available. I am getting back that I have a network issue. thanks
post #635 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:08 AM

Is it possible to connect the player to my Onkyo 606 receiver with both HDMI and Optical Digital out? I know it sound funny but what I am trying to do is have one input in my receiver for CD's (Music) and the other for DVD's. They Receiver has different listening settings and I don't want to have to switch them every time i switch between music and movies.

Thanks
post #636 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxings View Post

Is it possible to connect the player to my Onkyo 606 receiver with both HDMI and Optical Digital out? I know it sound funny but what I am trying to do is have one input in my receiver for CD's (Music) and the other for DVD's. They Receiver has different listening settings and I don't want to have to switch them every time i switch between music and movies.

Thanks

Should work fine... I have mine hooked up with both HDMI and Component/Optical to an Onkyo 875. I can switch the input source on the AVR between the two.
post #637 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks

Yes, but you'll need to go into menu and switch between bistream re-encode and bitstream audiophile. I'm assuming you'd want the 606 to do the hd codecs.

Tony B
post #638 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Yes, but you'll need to go into menu and switch between bistream re-encode and bitstream audiophile. I'm assuming you'd want the 606 to do the hd codecs.

So each time I will have to go into the 1500 menu to make changes?
post #639 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So each time I will have to go into the 1500 menu to make changes?

I think so. I don't think there are independent settings for optical/coaxial-digital and hdmi. But, it may just put out the stream you need regardless. The guy with 875 setup like that probably can straighten this out for us?

Tony B
post #640 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post

I have tried 2 different discs and have come up with the same issue. 2 or 3 minutes before the intermission, I get pixelization and macro-blocking. The Rest of the film plays great. Has anyone else experienced a problem with the BD of Patton?

Thanks,
Classico

Yes, this has been reported before.
post #641 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am trying to do a software update, if one is available. I am getting back that I have a network issue. thanks

I don't think there's an update server out there for it to connect to yet... but I'll admit to not having tried.

There may be nothing worng with your network setup... there's just nobody answering on the other end...

-Steve
post #642 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 AM

I was able to connect to the server with no problem. The response was there was no firmware update available yet.

I'm not snobbish and uninformed.
post #643 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Well mine locked up hard & now it won't turn on

I was using DVE Basics to calibrate/ I had selected Play All. I was an hour or so into it & the 1500 just locked up. It was not responsive to remote or button pushed. So I reached around & unplgged it from the powerstrip. Now it will not come on. The worst part, is that the DVD BAsics disc is stil in there!!

As has been noted by many others, the bottom of the unit was very warm. Mine is on a 99 dollar Wally World stand that is completly open & it is on a shelf by itself so air flow is not an issue.

That's too bad, Tell us more updates if you have I have until tomorrow to return my 1500 if there is more report like this, But to tell you honestly I don't have problems with 1500 it played every bluray movies I tried. Goodluck

*note*

I just want to say it again that I am really happy with Samsung 1500, so far no glitches yet only 1 audio drop from rambo IV movie. It played my other BR movies I have tried, I read somewhere that the update for 2.0 is sometimes in October. (cross my fingers)

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #644 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

I am currenty using the Anynet feature with my Samsung LN46A650. Obviously both the tv and player are HDMI 1.3 compatible, however, my receiver is a Sony that has the older HDMI version 1.2. The problem is, each time I turn on the player to watch a blu ray or standard dvd, the tv screen turns a pink color for a few seconds then I get the blue Samsung display, however, the resolution resets itself to 720p and the movie frame (24) feature resets to off. What am I doing wrong?

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. How do I get the Anynet feature to work? Please help...
post #645 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

I am currenty using the Anynet feature with my Samsung LN46A650. Obviously both the tv and player are HDMI 1.3 compatible, however, my receiver is a Sony that has the older HDMI version 1.2. The problem is, each time I turn on the player to watch a blu ray or standard dvd, the tv screen turns a pink color for a few seconds then I get the blue Samsung display, however, the resolution resets itself to 720p and the movie frame (24) feature resets to off. What am I doing wrong?

This maybe your problem. I think for Anynet feature to work properly all equipment on your HDMI chain needs to be Anynet compatible and the Sony receiver isn't.
post #646 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Well mine locked up hard & now it won't turn on

I was using DVE Basics to calibrate/ I had selected Play All. I was an hour or so into it & the 1500 just locked up. It was not responsive to remote or button pushed. So I reached around & unplgged it from the powerstrip. Now it will not come on. The worst part, is that the DVD BAsics disc is stil in there!!

As has been noted by many others, the bottom of the unit was very warm. Mine is on a 99 dollar Wally World stand that is completly open & it is on a shelf by itself so air flow is not an issue.

Earlier this afternoon I noted that the power button was glowing red. I thouhgt it might be working, but it would not come on. I unplugged/plugged it back in & it is totally dead.

Are there any fuses on the inside?

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #647 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You probably just need a higher quality cable
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-De...3666016&sr=8-3
post #648 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I just got this thing on June 12th & it will not power on so it's going back. Since I want my DVE Basics Blu ray I opened her up. Enjoy!

Not much to it.

This is the revision of my BD-P1500.

Or is it a BD-P1500 after all...

Time to break out Joe!

Yep, it just slid right out the back. Not very secure if you ask me.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #649 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I decided to go back and re-purchase another BD30 with the Walmart deal which puts me in the same ballpark price wise as the 1500. After owning the BD30 and the Samsung, the BD30 just inspired more confidence. Admittably, I have always had more issues with Samsung products than others but considering that the price was the same, the players where about equally as speedy, the differences came down to the fact that the Panasonic had the edge build wise, was a little more refined in operation and exhibited no issues with recognizing remote commands. Also, there was a very slight lip sync with the Samsung. On the positive note, the Samsung had no audio drop outs and reliably played the few titles I ran through it. I hope others have good luck with it.
post #650 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 PM

So the family got me one of these for fathers day (using my credit card of course), I smiled a wicked smile because I take this as a blessing to move the home theater to HD. I have an ancient pioneer HT reciever and an X1 pj. I figure I'll wait till xmas to get rid of the X1 and I realize that the picture will be no better on it with blue ray. I'm assuming I will have no problem using the component video output for this. The reciever is a problem though, it has only 5.1 analog inputs. I don't see how I can get anything other then 2 channel out of it with this player, so it's gotta get replaced.

I am thinking of an Onkyo 606, is this a good match for this player?
My fronts & center are pretty efficient (Klipsh SB/SC2's) so I don't need a lot of power. The rears are the old fronts that came with the amp in a HTIB (pioneer). The sub is a 250W home built (f0=21Hz@104dB), I'd really love to have something with bass management that will let me play with the sub crossover. I need to stay below $500.

Zaf
post #651 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafdor View Post

So the family got me one of these for fathers day (using my credit card of course), I smiled a wicked smile because I take this as a blessing to move the home theater to HD. I have an ancient pioneer HT reciever and an X1 pj. I figure I'll wait till xmas to get rid of the X1 and I realize that the picture will be no better on it with blue ray. I'm assuming I will have no problem using the component video output for this. The reciever is a problem though, it has only 5.1 analog inputs. I don't see how I can get anything other then 2 channel out of it with this player, so it's gotta get replaced.

I am thinking of an Onkyo 606, is this a good match for this player?
My fronts & center are pretty efficient (Klipsh SB/SC2's) so I don't need a lot of power. The rears are the old fronts that came with the amp in a HTIB (pioneer). The sub is a 250W home built (f0=21Hz@104dB), I'd really love to have something with bass management that will let me play with the sub crossover. I need to stay below $500.

In the last two weeks, I picked up an Onkyo 606 and a Samsung BD-P1500. For the price the Onkyo's are tough to beat from a feature perspective. So far I am happy with my purchases. You may also want to consider an Onkyo 605 if you only need 2 HDMI inputs instead of 4. There are some good deals to be had online, especially for refurbs.

Another alternative would be to get a player with 5.1 analog outs (like the Panasonic BD30).
post #652 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

I'm not really a fan of such workarounds, but...

I guess the next key question is how long does the player take to boot up? If too long that could make a workaround prohibitive.

I just setup my Harmony to use the Play + Power Toggle for "PowerOFF" and it works well. The 1500 responds to the two commands and shuts down just fine. I also tested from OFF and I could see the player start to turn on and then power off.

I think this workaround may suffice.
post #653 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I'm using an Onkyo 606 with this receiver. So far, so good. I was a little paranoid about lip sync issues, and therefore have been watching them like a hawk. I've had absolutely no lip sync issues at all while bitstreaming the audio for BDs of Gattaca (Dolby TrueHD), Layer Cake (PCM 5.1 48kHz 16 bit), Unbreakable (PCM 5.1 48kHz 24 bit), or F4:RotSS (DTS-HDMA).

I did have some lip sync issues with The Dead Pool (Dolby TrueHD), but I think that was due to the redubbing and remastering of it. There was also a little bit of a lip sync issue with the Die Hard 4 trailer that came on before F4:RotSS.

Bazinga!

post #654 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 07:56 PM

I just got a Yamaha RXV663 last week and love it. Wouldn't do bad with it either.

Blu-Ray: 40
Yamaha RX-V663
Sony BDP-S350
post #655 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

I think so. I don't think there are independent settings for optical/coaxial-digital and hdmi. But, it may just put out the stream you need regardless. The guy with 875 setup like that probably can straighten this out for us?

No need to make a menu change.... I tested an audio CD on my 1500 which is always set to Bitstream (Audiophile) and I get the stereo PCM signal through both the HDMI and Optical connections to the AVR.
post #656 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Blu-ray Player: BDP-1500
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663
Audio Connection: HDMI to receiver
Video Connection: HDMI to receiver
Blu-ray video out: 1080i/60
Blu-ray audio out: Bitstream (Audiophile)

Problem:

Bonus View.
I don't know if this is disc authoring related or BDP1500 related. But no matter how you play the movie, BonusView is displayed over the image on the upper left. Most movies let you toggle BonusView mode, and there is an on/off in the RE3 menu, but the BDP1500 still says BonusView throughout the movie, no matter how you launch it.

However, there is a workaround. To disable the BonusView icon, set "screen message" to off in the player setup menu. This will turn off the BonusView box that is always plastered on a BonusView title. It supposedly turns off a few other notifications, but I have no idea what they are.
post #657 of 5647 Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 PM

I corrected the problem by turning OFF the Anynet feature. This player no longer resets itself when turning it on, however, now there's another minor issue. Each time I turn on the player, the tv screen shows the Samsung logo with the blue background for about 2 to 3 seconds with the upper left corner displaying, "720x1280". After the 3 seconds expires, the screen goes blank for another 2 to 3 seconds while the tv reads, "searching for signal". After this, the tv screen shows the Samsung logo again with the upper left corner displaying, "1080x1920". Is this normal for the player to flicker upon start up or is it the receiver that is causing this minor issue?
post #658 of 5647 Old 06-17-2008, 12:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well, I finally turned purple last Friday by adding the 1500 to my HT arsenal, which proudly includes Toshiba HD-XA2, Onkyo 805 receiver and Hitachi 42HDX99 (1080i/60) plasma. I bought it at Circuit City in Bellevue, WA as they price matched the then-out-of-stock WallyWorld unit @ $348. It was the next to last unit they had boxed on the shelf.

I've only watched a few Blu-ray rentals from Blockbuster so far - Cars, Hellboy and Spiderman 3. All gear is connected via HDMI cables (MP and BJC), and the 1500 is outputting bitstream to the 805 for decoding. The 805 display clearly shows all the sound formats being received. My Hitachi is calibrated using both DVE (HD DVD) and my SpyderTV gizmo.

For the time being the Sammy is on the floor, sitting on an adequately-sized wood cutting board as I need to add/adjust the shelves in my Salamander Twin 20 later his week as each component sits on its own shelf. So ventilation right now can't get much better without adding a fan...

My first impressions are as follows:

CARS
As expected, the PQ was impressive, though I thought my XA2 upscaling my SD DVD of Cars held its own quite well (thanks, Uncle Reon!). Some of the scenes of the mountain vistas during the "cruising for fun" really popped with the BD version, though. So my first BD in the 1500 was a good start...

The AQ was a definite improvement over the DD from the SD DVD as I selected the Uncompressed soundtrack. Low end was more full, most sounds seemed a bit more crisp/detailed, and the scene of Doc racing solo around the track literally put me in the drivers seat at full throttle. And this with the Onkyo cranked only to -5 dB...scared to see what happens if I push into into the +5 dB neighborhood!

HELLBOY
For the record, this was my first foray into this flick, and I actually enjoyed it! I though the PQ detail was excellent, seeing all the facial bumps on Red's face. AQ was also great as I again chose the Uncompressed soundtrack. I did switch between this and the DD version, and preferred the uncompressed audio. So far, so good with my new 1500...

SPIDEY 3
Another impressive PQ performance, though I personally think my XA2 was not too far behind on certain scenes regarding performance. There was definitely more detail with the sand effects with the BD player and disc, so that was kinda fun.

NOTE: I did notice the weird jitter/combing during the end credits mentioned earlier, so not sure of this is something that is future-firmware fixable.

AQ was just fine as I selected the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack - NO AUDIO DROPOUTS WERE NOTICED, as far as I could tell. So not sure of some of you have a bad player with the dropouts that have been noted here, so I may be one of the lucky ones.

BEWARE - HOT TEMPS!!!
Tonight after watching the last hour of Hellboy and a full viewing of Spidey 3, I can tell you that the bottom of this unit was extremely hot! Like someone else mentioned, it was the back right area, though I found it hottest right in line with the vent holes. And remember that this is sitting off by itself - no other gear above or below. The top of the casing was barely warm, so the heat sink is definitely doing something. But does it really have enough room below the unit to dissipate the heat? This 1500 has to have the smallest rubber feet and minimal bottom panel clearance of all gear I currently own.

This is my main concern about the longevity of this unit - a better design would have provided vent openings on the top of the casing because, per basic physics - HEAT RISES! Or a built-in cooling fan, but I know they can be noisy per my XA2.

And I see some benefit to the laptop coolers mentioned by others, but believe these will not do too much as they try to draw the heat downward , away from the 1500. A much better design would be to intake air from the side of the cooler and blow upwards at the bottom of the 1500. This would be more efficient in removing heat. Here's a great way to visualize this concept: Hold a lighted match in front of you, say about 3 inches from your mouth. You can easily "blow" the flame out, but it's nearly impossible to "suck" the flame out. You need to get that heat away as best you can!

I'll put my 1500 thru the paces over the next few weeks and see if it's something I want to keep. If I have any audio dropouts or more weird jitter/combing, then it'll have to go back and I'll remain a "red only" fan for a while longer...

EDIT - I forgot to add this last night - without doing any customization yet, my Harmony One remote seems to operate the 1500 just fine. I do need to remap the "popup menu" from the original remote to the hard MENU button on the H1. I thought the original remote was a bit quirky during initial setup, as if a single button press of the directional arrows was received as two presses. This was an occasional occurrence, but I also believe that the original remote has a narrower "line of sight" than my Harmony. Gotta aim it just right...

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #659 of 5647 Old 06-17-2008, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I wondered about the laptop cooler before I tried it. It was on sale for $20 so I took a chance. It really works very well and there is a big difference in temp. with and without the cooler. It seems that the 1500 uses the case as a heat sink. The processor is on a board near the bottom of the case and I believe the fans on the cooler work similar to a computer fan taking the hot air out and sending it out the side of the cooler.
post #660 of 5647 Old 06-17-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Good news... I just saw a POST that says the 5000, which I believe is based on the same BCM 7440 chipset, is decoding DTS MA internally. It appears that the poster was implying that Samsung added that feature via FW upgrade.

If true, this bodes well for the chipset in the 1500 being able to decode DTS MA, as well as Samsung's willingness to add features in FW updates.

-Steve
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page