Old 05-20-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparman390 View Post

I'm considering upgrading to this player but I have a question for those of you owners out there. One really, really annoying problem with my BD-P1000 is that if it is turned on without the TV on, or without the receiver on it throws it's self into 1080i mode and will not flip back to 1080p automatically, you need to reset it manually. Does the 1500 reset to 1080p automatically when it detects a 1080p TV connected?

I noticed that when I was doing the setup in display I chooses 1080p eventhough I have 720p/1080i mits hd1000u PJ at first it asked me if I want it keep it for what I chose which is 1080p but it did automatically put it back to 1080i when I went to check it again in display setup.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvlAsh View Post

How does the BD-P1500 handle Hi-rez audio through optical, does it convert it down to DD 5.1, DTS 5.1 or DD 2.0?

For the record, I am using a Yamaha YSP-800 speaker bar with has optical inputs and decodes DD and DTS. The P1500 has the option to output in Bitstream "audiophile" mode. This behaves as Fireman describes. From what I can tell, it is 5.1. For example, with this setting, my Yamaha received a standard DD stream over the optical input for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Here is where it gets a little strange. There is also a Bistream "re-encode" option. It claims to re-encode the PCM to DTS 5.1 and send that out over the optical. It also works but sounds little different and is lower volume.

I haven't tried enough switching back and forth to determine which is better. I would definitely like to hear what others thoughts are on choosing between these two modes.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrtle View Post

For the record, I am using a Yamaha YSP-800 speaker bar with has optical inputs and decodes DD and DTS. The P1500 has the option to output in Bitstream "audiophile" mode. This behaves as Fireman describes. From what I can tell, it appears to be 5.1. For example, with this setting, my Yamaha received a standard DD stream over the optical input for 2001: A Space Odyssey with this setting.

Here is where it gets a little strange. There is also a Bistream "re-encode" option. It claims to re-encode the PCM to DTS 5.1 and send that out over the optical. It also works but sounds little different and is lower volume.

I haven't tried enough switching back and forth to determine which is better. I would definitely like to hear what others thoughts are on choosing between these two modes.

The "re-encode" thing is actually kind of cool IF you are listening to one of the HD audio codecs and have an existing receiver that will do DTS. When set to "re-encode", the player only seems to send DTS to my receiver. My current receiver is only 5.1, and I get 5.1 DTS for multi-channel tracks and 2 channel DTS for stereo from things like special features. I feel like it's definitely an improvement over DD 5.1 I was getting from standard DVD. The "re-encode" thing doesn't work as good if the track you are listening to is a legacy codec like Dolby Digital or even DTS because it's de-coding the lower resolution and then re-encoding at the lower resolution. In that situation, you are better to use the Audiophile setting to just bitstream the original audio to your receiver. I haven't done any in-depth listening tests to see if a core DTS or Dolby Digital track is better than a re-encoded PCM or Dolby True HD track, yet.

I love this because I'm 9-12 months out from a new receiver that will do the new codecs so I can get a little benefit from the lossless tracks now and really take advantage of them in the future. I thought about waiting for the Sony S350 since it's supposed to have discrete analog outs for at least 5.1, but I know I'm going to want a new receiver pretty soon so I took the leap on the 1500.

Dave
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstagl View Post

The "re-encode" thing is actually kind of cool IF you are listening to one of the HD audio codecs and have an existing receiver that will do DTS. When set to "re-encode", the player only seems to send DTS to my receiver. My current receiver is only 5.1, and I get 5.1 DTS for multi-channel tracks and 2 channel DTS for stereo from things like special features. I feel like it's definitely an improvement over DD 5.1 I was getting from standard DVD. The "re-encode" thing doesn't work as good if the track you are listening to is a legacy codec like Dolby Digital or even DTS because it's de-coding the lower resolution and then re-encoding at the lower resolution. In that situation, you are better to use the Audiophile setting to just bitstream the original audio to your receiver. I haven't done any in-depth listening tests to see if a core DTS or Dolby Digital track is better than a re-encoded PCM or Dolby True HD track, yet.

I love this because I'm 9-12 months out from a new receiver that will do the new codecs so I can get a little benefit from the lossless tracks now and really take advantage of them in the future. I thought about waiting for the Sony S350 since it's supposed to have discrete analog outs for at least 5.1, but I know I'm going to want a new receiver pretty soon so I took the leap on the 1500.

Dave

I am in the same situation, waiting to buy gear a year or so down the road.

You are correct, the re-encode option only sends DTS. My YSP-800 is perfectly happy with it. However, the volume is quite a bit lower and the sound is slightly different when compared to the DD track from audiophile.

I guess its a nice bonus to have the option.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 PM

Liked: 14
fireman325, rutlian and tyrtle, thanks for your responses. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to buy a new receiver first, which would delay the purchase of my first BD Player. Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Okey as I am playing around for some more in the menu, I know my display is only 720p/1080i which is the mits hd1000u I could not believe for what I saw I changed the resolution from the sammy 1500 into 1080p and could not believed that my mits hd1000u actually read it as 1080p/60 at first it shows 1080p in samsung front panel than I got excited I hit menu from my mits hd1000u remote and it shows 1080p and this never happened before in my mits I tried hd dvd a2, a30 and the panny bd10a and also the bd30 and it always shows 1080i/60 in my mits hd1000u for my amazement with the sammy my mits was able to read 1080p/60 and there is a huge difference with the picture quality from last night where my sammy was set to just 1080i I am now watching I robot and later I will try the ones I tried last night with 1080i res which are 300, FF4, Saw IV and LFODH.

All I can say is wow, I did not do any tweaking and definitely no firmware offered to my hd1000u projector now I remember that one of the member claimed that with his hd1000u it shows also 1080p/60 with his ps3 as his bluray player. And he took photos to prove it.

When I used to have the bd30 I tried to set the resolution to 1080p but I did not get any picture and I actually thought I damage my bd30 than I read the manual stating that this may happened if your display is not 1080p which like me only have 720p/1080i display and I was able to reset my bd30. So I can only compare the bd30 and the sammy 1500 with 1081i resolution which they are both very good I can say they are I dentical machine in terms of PQ with 1080i res and by audio bitstream thru my Onkyo 705, both are 1.1 profile accept that the sammy does have the ethernet and usb and possibly 2.0 with a firmware upgrade.

I am very happy that my mits is able to accept 1080p/60 or reading what is being display by the sammy 1500. I always believe that my limitation with mits hd1000u is always 1080i but now it changed all that when I saw 1080p/60 when I hit display in my mits remote control. I don't know what sammy 1500 is doing with mits but I am very glad. Last night I have my sammy set to 1080i res when viewing the sd dvd and the upconversion of the sammy is at the same level with a2 and a30 in my opinion remember
this was all before I discover that my mits actually read 1080p/60 I will try tonight playing the sd dvd movies with 1080p res in my sammy 1500 and see if there is an improvement over 1080i.

Peter
Old 05-21-2008, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

i
Quote:

So I picked one up the other day--my first Blu-ray player. For the most part I've been very happy, but tonight I was getting a strange glitch while watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The picture would sort of lock up/skip. The player was making an interesting noise like it was trying to access the disc. These skips are completely random and unrepeatable.

I don't want to sound any alarm bells because it could just be a defective disc. I've had no other problems with any of the other Blu-ray discs I picked up. Might also have been heat related because the player had been going for awhile and was a little warm even in a well ventilated area. I am heading out of town for a few days, but I'll investigate more when I get back.

Anyone else have a similar issue now or with a past player?

Dave

I do noticed this too, if you listen closely you can here the noise it is exactly what you described it seems like it is trying to pick up the disc this is during playback.

Peter
Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

i

I do noticed this too, if you listen closely you can here the noise it is exactly what you described it seems like it is trying to pick up the disc this is during playback.

Did you get yours at the Tukwila BB? How many did they have? Im still waiting for stock at W-Mrt or BB in Tacoma.

Darren
Old 05-21-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Wadsworth View Post

Did you get yours at the Tukwila BB? How many did they have? Im still waiting for stock at W-Mrt or BB in Tacoma.

Darren

Yes they have 1 in display and 1 in the box, don't know if they have some more but I only saw 2 in a box and I got the other 1. Check the availabilty with store pick up if they location is highlighted or in bold letters it means they have it.

Edit:

I just check it in their site and they still have it, you can call to hold it for you. And try to pricematch walmart they might just do it.

Peter
Old 05-21-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:

So I picked one up the other day--my first Blu-ray player. For the most part I've been very happy, but tonight I was getting a strange glitch while watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The picture would sort of lock up/skip. The player was making an interesting noise like it was trying to access the disc. These skips are completely random and unrepeatable.

I don't want to sound any alarm bells because it could just be a defective disc. I've had no other problems with any of the other Blu-ray discs I picked up. Might also have been heat related because the player had been going for awhile and was a little warm even in a well ventilated area. I am heading out of town for a few days, but I'll investigate more when I get back.

Anyone else have a similar issue now or with a past player?

Dave

Dave,

I just watched this movie (HP: Order of the Phoenix) on my P1500. However, I didnt see any skipping or lock up. Perhaps its a bad disc or a finicky player.

I will keep a close eye out for this as I watch more movies and report back if I see it.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I am worried for this noise skipping like trying to access the disc however for my 1500 it occurs during playback and no skipping or locking up in the picture. It just when I listen to the machine closely it sounds like it is trying to access the already being played disc. Love my sammy and don't want to return it just for this noise.

Peter
Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:

I'm considering upgrading to this player but I have a question for those of you owners out there. One really, really annoying problem with my BD-P1000 is that if it is turned on without the TV on, or without the receiver on it throws it's self into 1080i mode and will not flip back to 1080p automatically, you need to reset it manually. Does the 1500 reset to 1080p automatically when it detects a 1080p TV connected?

Bumping my previous post, anyone play with this thing enough yet to come up with a difinitive answer to this?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bumping my previous post, anyone play with this thing enough yet to come up with a difinitive answer to this?

I think I can answer your question. Last night I set up my 1500 to 1080p and the display over sammy when I turn off my receiver it became 1080i but when I turn it on and once my Onkyo 705 initialized the sammy return automatically to 1080p in front panel. I am very positive with this. I did not need to manually set up the sammy to 1080p again, It just shows 1080i in front panel once I turn off my receiver and automatically set back to 1080p by itself once the movie starts. Is this what you need to know?

Peter
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Wadsworth View Post

Darren

The Wal-mart in Renton has one on the shelf last Friday.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:

I think I can answer your question. Last night I set up my 1500 to 1080p and the display over sammy when I turn off my receiver it became 1080i but when I turn it on and once my Onkyo 705 initialized the sammy return automatically to 1080p in front panel. I am very positive with this. I did not need to manually set up the sammy to 1080p again, It just shows 1080i in front panel once I turn off my receiver and automatically set back to 1080p by itself once the movie starts. Is this what you need to know?

Thanks, that's what I needed to know and it's good news! I'm so happy they fixed that. You wouldn't believe how annoying it is manually reseting the BD-P1000 to 1080p every time the reciever or TV is powered off while it is turned on and it reverts to 1080i and wouldn't automatically go back. Other than that it has been a good player for what it is with the latest firmware. I have had it over a year. The HD lack of audio is making me upgrade so I'm attaching it to my other TV that is 720p/1080i so it won't be a concern anymore.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:54 PM

Does this player have 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs? Would it be a upgrade over the 1400? I already have the 1400 and have had no issues with it. My set up, I have to use analog out cause no HDMI yet.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotp94 View Post

Does this player have 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs? Would it be a upgrade over the 1400? I already have the 1400 and have had no issues with it. My set up, I have to use analog out cause no HDMI yet.

The player has 2.0 analog outs. 2 channel only.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

First "issue" with the Sammy 1500. I noticed that the pop-up menu on V For Vendetta blinks as it pops up or pops down, rather than popping up and down smoothly as it does on the PS3. Can anyone else verify?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

First "issue" with the Sammy 1500. I noticed that the pop-up menu on V For Vendetta blinks as it pops up or pops down, rather than popping up and down smoothly as it does on the PS3. Can anyone else verify?

Same thing happened to me today. I forget which movie, i was sampling several. If that is the only glitch i won't complain.

Dolby Atmos 9.2.4 Marantz 7009 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 bluray player Jvc 4910 projector Benq 1070 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 7 L&R &super center XL Emotiva erm 6.2 sides ert 8.3 rear s
Emotiva erd-1 front wides 4 erd-1 on ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

Same thing happened to me today. I forget which movie, i was sampling several. If that is the only glitch i won't complain.

Sounds like a minor complaint unless there is a problem accessing the menu. Personally I said I would never buy another Samsung BD player, but I love this player. I am glad I sold my BD-30.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:48 PM

I'm having an issue with my 1500 and TV in the menus and intro to all BD's. I get "Searching for signals" repeatedly when navigating the menus and between opening previews etc... No issues when movies are actually playing though. I thought it might be my TV as I have a Samsung LNT5265F and the older units are known for HDMI issues. Mine is a 1018 firmware with 1008 mainboard. I have no issues with my HD cable box, Toshiba HD DVD player, or Xbox 360 Elite though. Don't know if it is some weirdness with the 1500 causing it or if it is just the TV. Posted over in the display forum but never got any responses. Don't have another BD player to try and see if I get the same issues.

Quote:

Old 05-22-2008, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotp94 View Post

I have the 1500 and love it, But if you dont have issues with 1400 don't upgrade to this unless you are in the market for another BR

Peter
Old 05-22-2008, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far no issue yet for me accept for that noise from the unit if you listen closely it is like trying to access the disc this is going while playback, So far it is very good.

And one more thing my display is only 720p/1080i and when I setup my 1500 to 1080p My projector display is showing 1080p/60 this never happen with my hd a30, bd10a and bd30. I am still kind of confused why it is accepting 1080p all of a sudden. But I love it so I am not complaining just wondering.

Peter
Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 AM

I picked one of these units up last night at our local Walmart. These units are flying off the shelves as this was the last one left. My first impression of the unit out of the box is that the picture is not quite as good as the PS3. I spent some time last night changing some options on both the player and my VW32L Vizio. Anyone else have this same combination and can share how they have them setup? I plan on keeping this unit for a couple of weeks before trying the Magnavox Walmart carries for $298.00.

I'm not snobbish and uninformed.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Totally normal behavior I believe. PS3 is just more powerful and plays all menu animations. Most (all current?) standalones don't have the horsepower so they remove some/all animations to allow proper and speedy menu operation.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotec View Post

I picked one of these units up last night at our local Walmart. These units are flying off the shelves as this was the last one left. My first impression of the unit out of the box is that the picture is not quite as good as the PS3. I spent some time last night changing some options on both the player and my VW32L Vizio. Anyone else have this same combination and can share how they have them setup? I plan on keeping this unit for a couple of weeks before trying the Magnavox Walmart carries for $298.00.

Does anyone know if BB's policy on the price match would allow them to match the (non sale) price of WM and then allow the use of my 12% coupon on top of that. I also have $15 worth of rewards--it'd be sweet.

Tony B
Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotec View Post

What options did you cange on the player? There aren't really any options that I saw that would impact PQ.

I bought mine yesterday and used POTC: AWE as my test disc. As best I can tell, other than the image being just a tad darker (which was quickly corrected on my Aquos by a trip to the menu) the image is pretty darn close to what I get with my PS3. It may be just the slightest bit softer, but for me at least, when I went from 720p to 1080i, it made the picture a little more defined.

Previously, on my Sharp Blu-Ray player, and still on my PS3, outputting at 720P produces(d) the best result. This player seems to like 1080i better, which is fine. Not sure why that is though.

One other little obscurity, it has a clock, which you can set manually, or connect online to, and have it updated automatically. Thats cool and all except that the clock seems to serve no purpose whatsoever and doesn't appear when the unit is off. I know some other players have this as well, but it is a bit weird that its as prominent in the settings on the Sammy, yet serves no purpose.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

Old 05-22-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Does anyone know if BB's policy on the price match would allow them to match the (non sale) price of WM and then allow the use of my 12% coupon on top of that. I also have $15 worth of rewards--it'd be sweet.

I tried this but it is a no go, the 12% does not apply if doing the pricematching. I don't believed it is in a fine print but almost all staff know you can not combine both.

Peter
Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Can someone check if there are any differences in pq between:
1080p/24
1080p/60
Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried this but it is a no go, the 12% does not apply if doing the pricematching. I don't believed it is in a fine print but almost all staff know you can not combine both.

Got it. Maybe I do WallyWorld for the player and ext warranty and use my reward certificates for my first Blu ray disc.

Tony B