The Official Samsung BD-P1500 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 5645 Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
robotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Plainfield, Il
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

What options did you cange on the player? There aren't really any options that I saw that would impact PQ.

I bought mine yesterday and used POTC: AWE as my test disc. As best I can tell, other than the image being just a tad darker (which was quickly corrected on my Aquos by a trip to the menu) the image is pretty darn close to what I get with my PS3. It may be just the slightest bit softer, but for me at least, when I went from 720p to 1080i, it made the picture a little more defined.

Previously, on my Sharp Blu-Ray player, and still on my PS3, outputting at 720P produces(d) the best result. This player seems to like 1080i better, which is fine. Not sure why that is though.

One other little obscurity, it has a clock, which you can set manually, or connect online to, and have it updated automatically. Thats cool and all except that the clock seems to serve no purpose whatsoever and doesn't appear when the unit is off. I know some other players have this as well, but it is a bit weird that its as prominent in the settings on the Sammy, yet serves no purpose.


The only options I tinkered with were the resolution options and the frame speed. I too noticed the picture was a tad darker and corrected it by adjusting my TV as well. I'm using Spiderman3 as my test BD due to the colors in the movie. This is a good little BR player with the ethernet port and fast loading times (Same as my standard player), but I'm gonna keep looking, since my personal reference is the PS3.

I'm not snobbish and uninformed.
robotec is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 5645 Old 05-22-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fireman325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Does anyone know if BB's policy on the price match would allow them to match the (non sale) price of WM and then allow the use of my 12% coupon on top of that. I also have $15 worth of rewards--it'd be sweet.

My wife and I were in this same situation when we bought our TV. The guys in the home theater dept tried to tell us they couldn't price match and use a coupon because that's stacking special offers, so off to customer service we went. After they had a management meeting right in front of us, the verdict was that they could price match and take the 12% coupon on top. The reason was because it's BB policy to offer the best price, even if they have to price match to do it. This is not considered a special offer. Then you can use your coupon because it's only using one special offer. As far as the rewards are concerned, I don't see why this should be a problem. Just take it all to customer service and ask for the store manager if you have to. Good luck.

Steve

fireman325 is offline  
post #93 of 5645 Old 05-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Darren Wadsworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is this 12% coupon you are referring to?

Darren
Darren Wadsworth is offline  
post #94 of 5645 Old 05-22-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fireman325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Wadsworth View Post

What is this 12% coupon you are referring to?

Darren

If you are a member of the BB rewards program you get various coupons in the mail about every month or every other month. They usually include a 12% off coupon. It doesn't cost anything to join. You also get $5, $10 or $20 coupons (your choice) mailed or emailed to you every time you spend a certain amount of money in the store. Obviously you earn the $5 a lot faster. If you ever shop there you should check it out.

Steve

fireman325 is offline  
post #95 of 5645 Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Member
 
dstagl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

i

I do noticed this too, if you listen closely you can here the noise it is exactly what you described it seems like it is trying to pick up the disc this is during playback.

Yes, that was it.

But I have good news, I think. I've been watching the disc I had problems with--Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix--for over an hour now with zero problems so far. They were originally random, but they had kicked in by this time.

For now I'm going to attribute my previous issue to heat since I'd been using the player for quite a while when it happened. A friend of mine recommended picking up a USB-powered fan so if this happens again I might try that.

If anyone else has the same issue, I would love to know details about your experience.

Thanks!
Dave
dstagl is offline  
post #96 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
robotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Plainfield, Il
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have this player paired with the Vizio VW32L? I'm looking for the optimal settings for video. Ultimately, I plan on using it with my Philips 60" rear projection (supposed to be HDCP compliant, but thats another story).

I'm not snobbish and uninformed.
robotec is offline  
post #97 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
tyrtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotec View Post

Does anyone have this player paired with the Vizio VW32L? I'm looking for the optimal settings for video. Ultimately, I plan on using it with my Philips 60" rear projection (supposed to be HDCP compliant, but thats another story).

Robotec,

This player appears to be pretty good when it comes to HDCP interoperability. I am currently using this player with an old GWIII. It pre-dates hdmi and so only has DVI with an early HDCP implementation. Amazingly, I have not had a single HDCP problem. Hopefully, this bodes well for using the player with your Philips.
tyrtle is offline  
post #98 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scaesare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 4,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

What options did you cange on the player? There aren't really any options that I saw that would impact PQ.

I bought mine yesterday and used POTC: AWE as my test disc. As best I can tell, other than the image being just a tad darker (which was quickly corrected on my Aquos by a trip to the menu) the image is pretty darn close to what I get with my PS3. It may be just the slightest bit softer, but for me at least, when I went from 720p to 1080i, it made the picture a little more defined.

Previously, on my Sharp Blu-Ray player, and still on my PS3, outputting at 720P produces(d) the best result. This player seems to like 1080i better, which is fine. Not sure why that is though.

One other little obscurity, it has a clock, which you can set manually, or connect online to, and have it updated automatically. Thats cool and all except that the clock seems to serve no purpose whatsoever and doesn't appear when the unit is off. I know some other players have this as well, but it is a bit weird that its as prominent in the settings on the Sammy, yet serves no purpose.


I believe that some BD-J code and/or time sensitive content may depend on knowing the date/time at some point.

-Steve
scaesare is offline  
post #99 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
robotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Plainfield, Il
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrtle View Post

Robotec,

This player appears to be pretty good when it comes to HDCP interoperability. I am currently using this player with an old GWIII. It pre-dates hdmi and so only has DVI with an early HDCP implementation. Amazingly, I have not had a single HDCP problem. Hopefully, this bodes well for using the player with your Philips.

Well, actually Philips were manufacturing RPTVs as late as 2006 with HDMI ports that were not HDCP compliant. My TV is one of them. I'd like to get involved with a class action suit if there is one out there. I have a little device coming that is supposed to solve my HDCP problem though.

I'm not snobbish and uninformed.
robotec is offline  
post #100 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
makaveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is amazing how little fanfare this player is getting. Are people just looking past the BD-1500 because Samsung let them down on BD in the past? I am about to make the jump from HD DVD and this $348 player that will be 2.0 compliant seems like a winner. Is there something I am missing? I thought the Panasonic BD50 was going to be my first player but they upped it to $699.
makaveli is offline  
post #101 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post

It is amazing how little fanfare this player is getting. Are people just looking past the BD-1500 because Samsung let them down on BD in the past? I am about to make the jump from HD DVD and this $348 player that will be 2.0 compliant seems like a winner. Is there something I am missing? I thought the Panasonic BD50 was going to be my first player but they upped it to $699.


Yeah, pretty much. I was getting very excited about this player even with my frustration with Samsung in the past until last night. I was watching a movie on my BD-p1400 and all of the suddenly audio/video drop outs that keep getting worst as the movie progressed. I just shut the f##$ thing off to avoid hitting it with a bat. Of course I paid Samsung $85 to fix this particular issue. I believe it was a wake up call so I do not fall into the Samsung trap again. As you can see some users already starting reporting audio/video drop outs that reminds me of the experiences I had with the BD-P1400.

Having said that I am pretty sure there are a lot of happy Samsung Blu-ray owners out there. I'm just not one of them.
rveras is offline  
post #102 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Yeah, pretty much. I was getting very excited about this player even with my frustration with Samsung in the past until last night. I was watching a movie on my BD-p1400 and all of the suddenly audio/video drop outs that keep getting worst as the movie progressed. I just shut the f##$ thing off to avoid hitting it with a bat. Of curse I paid Samsung $85 to fix this particular issue. I believe it was a wake up call so I do not fall into the Samsung trap again. As you can see some users already starting reporting audio/video drop outs that reminds me of the experiences I had with the BD-P1400.

Having said that I am pretty sure there are a lot of happy Samsung Blu-ray owners out there. I'm just not one of them.

It is simply the best player out there today under $600. I do not like Samsung at all, but this player has been great so far!
Andrew P is offline  
post #103 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 AM
 
Robert George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
Posts: 3,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


As you can see some users already starting reporting audio/video drop outs that reminds me of the experiences I had with the BD-P1400.

As far as I can tell, it's one guy and what he describes may well be a defective disc as others with the same disc are not having any issues.
Robert George is offline  
post #104 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rveras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

It is simply the best player out there today under $600. I do not like Samsung at all, but this player has been great so far!

Totally agree thus the reason I was very enthusiastic about this player. However the BD-P1400 for a while was the considered the best value player too because it was one of the few that could bitstream all the codecs and at least for me it didn't turn out so good The BD-P1200 was also a best buy and look how that turned out. I hope that the BD-P1500 turns out to be a winner and that it does not disappoint people and I'm just not willing to buy it right now. Probably until there are more owners out there and Samsung releases the BD-Live update then I'll consider it assuming reviews are still good.

I'm now waiting for the Sony 350 to see what they have to offer. Hopefully my POS BD-P1400 can last until then.
rveras is offline  
post #105 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
makaveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So far as I can tell if Samsung follows through on their promise to make the BD-P1500 a profile 2 player the only main difference is that BD50 will internally decode DTS-HD MA
makaveli is offline  
post #106 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
krisjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

... Of curse I paid Samsung $85 to fix this particular issue.

Positively Freudian (emphasis mine)
krisjan is offline  
post #107 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
krisjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

It is simply the best player out there today under $600. I do not like Samsung at all, but this player has been great so far!

I would argue that the Panasonic BD30 is the best stand alone player under $600. Its a proven great performer with excellent customer/technical support and has pride-of-place in my home theater. I own three BD players: a BD30, a Samsung 1200 and a Sony 300. Customer support for the 1200 has been very poor and the player still has some playback issues (particularly and oddly with some standard DVD's as well as some BD's). The Sony, though glacial in disc loading has performed like a true soldier. I hope the 1500 proves to be a better experience for owners but I surely won't be one.


Now, if you'd said the 1500 is the best player under $400, you might have a case - if it contin ues to be well-supported.
krisjan is offline  
post #108 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

I would argue that the Panasonic BD30 is the best stand alone player under $600. Its a proven great performer with excellent customer/technical support and has pride-of-place in my home theater. I own three BD players: a BD30, a Samsung 1200 and a Sony 300. Customer support for the 1200 has been very poor and the player still has some playback issues (particularly and oddly with some standard DVD's as well as some BD's). The Sony, though glacial in disc loading has performed like a true soldier. I hope the 1500 proves to be a better experience for owners but I surely won't be one.


Now, if you'd said the 1500 is the best player under $400, you might have a case - if it contin ues to be well-supported.

Fair point, but I sold the BD-30 and couldn't be happier. It did have many problems (that were mostly fixed by firmware quickly by Panasonic), but it is priced higher, much slower to open the disc drawer and access BD discs, is not 2.0 ready, and still has issues with Dolby True HD dropouts plus it is more expensive.

In fairness if Samsung had these issues they would be getting killed (and I was one of these people), but so far the 1500 seems to be a very solid player. Only time will tell though.
Andrew P is offline  
post #109 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Member
 
AdmiralJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having this player for about a week, I must say I am rather impressed. I know many people, including myself, were waiting for the mythical Panasonic DMP-BD50. Well, after seeing the price point they are asking for it, and comparing it to the features of the Samsung BD-P1500, I decided it its more economical to purchase the new Samsung player then wait for the Duke Nukem of Blu-Ray payers.

FIRST THOUGHTS

My initial impression was WOW! This player is currently the cheapest player on the retail market, and it defiantly does not look like it. It's picture quality is excellent, and from what I can tell from my rather antiquated sound system, it is leaps and bounds better than DVD. Hope to get myself a 7.1 system supporting all sound formats soon so I can really put this player to the test.

It is from what the box says is Profile 2.0 ready(?). I guess these are like old school stereo receivers that say they were Dolby Digital Ready back in the 90's. Anyway, I have not seen anything in the manual that mentions this, or various other features in the box. My guess is the manual was produced BEFORE the final specifications on the player were done. No surprise since my Oppo was the same way. So, do not look for the manual to solve any mysteries about his player's specification.

Now you're probably thinking, in my best Shaggy impression, Zoinks Scoob! How are were gonna solve the mystery of the mystical player specs? Well rest your fears because the BOX was made last it seems and contains all the logos and information you need EXCEPT ONE! There is no mention of DTS HD Master Audio, only DTS-HD. So, I do not know if this player supports this format or not. What is funny is the manual does not even mention ANY DTS SUPPORT (It does do DTS-HD so do not fret). Silly Samsung, Trix are for kids, and apparently so are well written manuals.

VIDEO

I compared this player to a few other players I saw on display in the store. It looks just as good as any other player I have seen, or at least as my best estimate can be since a lot of the players are on TVs set in burn mode. But in my perfectly calibrated TV, as my wife calls it when I start to annoy her by changing the settings on my TV during her STORIES, it looks excellent. The colors are vivid and I have not seen any defects what so ever on the various movies I have seen that were not due to the movie itself.

Now lots of people probably want to know about the SD quality. Well, it's actually not THAT bad. I mean, it is not as great as my Oppo 981HD of course, but if you do not want DVD players in the same room, do not have enough HDMI ports, or have a significant other who keeps saying, It plays DVD's, you don't need two out here it is an very good replacement.

It does an excellent job of playing Standard ratio material. The player has an auto ratio option, which is always a plus. It also supports Stretchovision as well for those who *Shudder* prefer that look. So, those of you who watch a lot of TV box sets (like myself) will be very satisfied with the results. My Get Smart DVDs look just as good on the 1500 as on my Oppo.

AUDIO

Okay, I will not rate this since my speakers sound about as good as two tin cans connected by a string. The sound is gets some distortion at time, but that is not the players fault. It is the fault of my budgeting skills for not allocating any money to upgrade my speakers and receiver yet. Now, aside from my rather ancient speakers, it does a great job with the sound options available. There is no issue with any playback, and comes out better than I expected.

The player has a PCM, Bitsteam Re-encode, and Bitstream Audiophile options. Each one is set to certain peoples' needs.

Now PCM decodes Primary, Secondary, and Effects channel together into PCM. According to the manual this will CONVERT Dolby True HD and hints at the may even decode DTS-HD MA into multi-channel PCM. (See page 35 of the manual). Wait WHAT IS THIS!!! A mention of DTS-HD MA? So, if it cannot play DTS-HD MA in this mode, does that mean in Bitstream it will? Also, why are they mentioning DTS now, but nowhere in the specifications for the player in the manual. Ugh, I feel I am going to need a roll of duct tape before I am done.

Re-encode does the same thing as PCM but converts it into a DTS signal for receivers that only have an optical output for DTS. This can result in worse sound than PCM or Audiophile, but I think is intended for people in my situation with an older DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 setup.
Audiophile is straight forward bitstreaming of all audio formats. So, now I guess that means including DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA. Now, it does not say that, but does imply this. Now, I do not like when things are implied. I like it when things are straight forward. I will contact Samsung to confirm this and request they update their manual later.

It is nice to see they give you some nice audio options, even if they are rather cryptic about them. I will have to wait a few months to really try the sound out on this baby when I get my new system.

PLAYBACK

This player is VERY quick at loading. It takes usually less than a minute for a disc to start up. It also supports every function of each disc I have tried so far, and I can turn the player off and it will resume from where I left off.
All features are support on every disc I threw at it, and am very impressed with it. It takes a few moments in between title changes, but is not that bad. It is faster than the PS3 from what I have seen, which is quite impressive.

FINAL THOUGHTS

All in all I have to say this player is great for those of you who want to take the plunge and not break the bank. For the price I paid, I was not expecting such good quality. I highly recommend this play for anyone who wants a Blu-ray player with full features, and excellent quality.

Admiral Joker's Mad Blog
Where the INMAE runs the ASYLUM!!!
AdmiralJoker is offline  
post #110 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rutlian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

I would argue that the Panasonic BD30 is the best stand alone player under $600. Its a proven great performer with excellent customer/technical support and has pride-of-place in my home theater. I own three BD players: a BD30, a Samsung 1200 and a Sony 300. Customer support for the 1200 has been very poor and the player still has some playback issues (particularly and oddly with some standard DVD's as well as some BD's). The Sony, though glacial in disc loading has performed like a true soldier. I hope the 1500 proves to be a better experience for owners but I surely won't be one.


Now, if you'd said the 1500 is the best player under $400, you might have a case - if it contin ues to be well-supported.


You may call it the best SA under 600 based on the features and capabilities but Samsung 1500 is I believed is the same level with bd30 in terms PQ and AQ. bd30 also have problems in audio Truehd, LFE bug and more owners are reporting that their bd30 stop reading BR disc and only accepts sd dvd and cd's. I also have the bd10a which is untill now works perfectly and moved it to our bedroom and bought bd30 but after reading some reports that it suddenly stops reading BR disc I returned it. And so far the sammy 1500 works flawlessly in my Dedicated HT and hopefully stays that well so far I am happy with this machine.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
rutlian is offline  
post #111 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
candyman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralJoker View Post

Having this player for about a week, I must say I am rather impressed. I know many people, including myself, were waiting for the mythical Panasonic DMP-BD50. Well, after seeing the price point they are asking for it, and comparing it to the features of the Samsung BD-P1500, I decided it its more economical to purchase the new Samsung player then wait for the Duke Nukem of Blu-Ray payers.

FIRST THOUGHTS

My initial impression was WOW! This player is currently the cheapest player on the retail market, and it defiantly does not look like it. It's picture quality is excellent, and from what I can tell from my rather antiquated sound system, it is leaps and bounds better than DVD. Hope to get myself a 7.1 system supporting all sound formats soon so I can really put this player to the test.

It is from what the box says is Profile 2.0 ready(?). I guess these are like old school stereo receivers that say they were Dolby Digital Ready back in the 90's. Anyway, I have not seen anything in the manual that mentions this, or various other features in the box. My guess is the manual was produced BEFORE the final specifications on the player were done. No surprise since my Oppo was the same way. So, do not look for the manual to solve any mysteries about his player's specification.

Now you're probably thinking, in my best Shaggy impression, Zoinks Scoob! How are were gonna solve the mystery of the mystical player specs? Well rest your fears because the BOX was made last it seems and contains all the logos and information you need EXCEPT ONE! There is no mention of DTS HD Master Audio, only DTS-HD. So, I do not know if this player supports this format or not. What is funny is the manual does not even mention ANY DTS SUPPORT (It does do DTS-HD so do not fret). Silly Samsung, Trix are for kids, and apparently so are well written manuals.

VIDEO

I compared this player to a few other players I saw on display in the store. It looks just as good as any other player I have seen, or at least as my best estimate can be since a lot of the players are on TVs set in burn mode. But in my perfectly calibrated TV, as my wife calls it when I start to annoy her by changing the settings on my TV during her STORIES, it looks excellent. The colors are vivid and I have not seen any defects what so ever on the various movies I have seen that were not due to the movie itself.

Now lots of people probably want to know about the SD quality. Well, it's actually not THAT bad. I mean, it is not as great as my Oppo 981HD of course, but if you do not want DVD players in the same room, do not have enough HDMI ports, or have a significant other who keeps saying, It plays DVD's, you don't need two out here it is an very good replacement.

It does an excellent job of playing Standard ratio material. The player has an auto ratio option, which is always a plus. It also supports Stretchovision as well for those who *Shudder* prefer that look. So, those of you who watch a lot of TV box sets (like myself) will be very satisfied with the results. My Get Smart DVDs look just as good on the 1500 as on my Oppo.

AUDIO

Okay, I will not rate this since my speakers sound about as good as two tin cans connected by a string. The sound is gets some distortion at time, but that is not the players fault. It is the fault of my budgeting skills for not allocating any money to upgrade my speakers and receiver yet. Now, aside from my rather ancient speakers, it does a great job with the sound options available. There is no issue with any playback, and comes out better than I expected.

The player has a PCM, Bitsteam Re-encode, and Bitstream Audiophile options. Each one is set to certain peoples' needs.

Now PCM decodes Primary, Secondary, and Effects channel together into PCM. According to the manual this will CONVERT Dolby True HD and hints at the may even decode DTS-HD MA into multi-channel PCM. (See page 35 of the manual). Wait WHAT IS THIS!!! A mention of DTS-HD MA? So, if it cannot play DTS-HD MA in this mode, does that mean in Bitstream it will? Also, why are they mentioning DTS now, but nowhere in the specifications for the player in the manual. Ugh, I feel I am going to need a roll of duct tape before I am done.

Re-encode does the same thing as PCM but converts it into a DTS signal for receivers that only have an optical output for DTS. This can result in worse sound than PCM or Audiophile, but I think is intended for people in my situation with an older DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 setup.
Audiophile is straight forward bitstreaming of all audio formats. So, now I guess that means including DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA. Now, it does not say that, but does imply this. Now, I do not like when things are implied. I like it when things are straight forward. I will contact Samsung to confirm this and request they update their manual later.

It is nice to see they give you some nice audio options, even if they are rather cryptic about them. I will have to wait a few months to really try the sound out on this baby when I get my new system.

PLAYBACK

This player is VERY quick at loading. It takes usually less than a minute for a disc to start up. It also supports every function of each disc I have tried so far, and I can turn the player off and it will resume from where I left off.
All features are support on every disc I threw at it, and am very impressed with it. It takes a few moments in between title changes, but is not that bad. It is faster than the PS3 from what I have seen, which is quite impressive.

FINAL THOUGHTS

All in all I have to say this player is great for those of you who want to take the plunge and not break the bank. For the price I paid, I was not expecting such good quality. I highly recommend this play for anyone who wants a Blu-ray player with full features, and excellent quality.

Reading this makes me want to sell my BD30 and Oppo 980H if it can do the same that both can.
candyman56 is offline  
post #112 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
wabkab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56 View Post

Reading this makes me want to sell my BD30 and Oppo 980H if it can do the same that both can.

I think the jury is still out on the SD issue. I don't think I read anyone suggesting the SD is clearly better than the BD30. Don't get me wrong, I hope it is. I'm trying to decide between the 2 now. The main advantage I see is that the Panasonic has a good track record for the most part. If the 1500 is glitch free--it's cheaper and 2.0 ready. I wait for Father's Day

Tony B
wabkab is offline  
post #113 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
AndyGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't worry this player will have its' share of problems. Read the first dozen pages of the BD30 thread, once upon a time it was the cheapest player offering the most performance. The euphoria over the BD30 was reaching an all time high, it took a good 3 dozen pages of posts before the various bugs worked their way to the surface. In spite of everything, in the world of bluray, the Panasonic is still considered very good.

Now you have the Samsung, another player that does everything and for even a little less, for sure anyone who purchases this player and watches a few rounds of movies without an issue for sure will think they have beaten the system. The reality is that every Bluray player Samsung has touched has had their share of issues thus far, in fact, I don't think you can even find a thread about a Samsung SD DVD player that hasn't been rife with issues. Samsung will always be on the cutting edge as far as perceived value but you will always be taking your chances with reliability, not to mention suspect customer service. All of my experiences with Samsung have been consistently spotty and you can just jump in at any random point on any Samsung bluray or SD DVD thread and it will reveal somebody wrestling with some issue.

I was at BB today and saw the 1500 and I got to tell you, I wasn't impressed. This thing is by far the cheapest and lightest built player out there, it looks more plain jane then classy and minimalistic. I thought the Panasonic BD30 was on the lightweight side but compared to the 1500, the Panasonic inspires more confidence. Wait for the new Sonys, get the BD30, the best value isn't always the cheapest price.
AndyGood is offline  
post #114 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Member
 
candyman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

I think the jury is still out on the SD issue. I don't think I read anyone suggesting the SD is clearly better than the BD30. Don't get me wrong, I hope it is. I'm trying to decide between the 2 now. The main advantage I see is that the Panasonic has a good track record for the most part. If the 1500 is glitch free--it's cheaper and 2.0 ready. I wait for Father's Day

If the SD-DVD playback was better on the Sammy over the BD30 then I could see it being worth going to 1 player. But it looks like I could be with my 2 players for sometime.
candyman56 is offline  
post #115 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 07:54 PM
 
Robert George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
Posts: 3,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


I was at BB today and saw the 1500 and I got to tell you, I wasn't impressed.

Really? You saw a player at a big box store, likely not even connected to a misadjusted display nor an audio system, and you were not impressed.

This is supposed to be useful information?

Quote:


I thought the Panasonic BD30 was on the lightweight side but compared to the 1500, the Panasonic inspires more confidence.

The BD30 weighs 7.3 lbs. and the 1500 weighs 6.3 lbs. Yeah, that pound is very inspiring.

Quote:


Wait for the new Sonys, get the BD30, the best value isn't always the cheapest price.

Good advice from someone who hasn't even used the player.
Robert George is offline  
post #116 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
dan webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: western mass.
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I agree. Looking at the video performance of any BD player or tv for that matter at a big box store is a complete waste of time. I have owned this player for about a week now and it continues to impress me more and more as i watch more movies. I could care less how much it weighs or looks for that matter. However i think it looks just fine, especially the disk tray when it opens about 2 seconds after i press open. This is my third BD player and i am sure at some point in the future there will be an issue with something but in the meantime My son and i are going to finish watching Live free or die hard with the 1500 bitstreaming Dts master audio to my Integra 9.8. It sure beats my old vcr.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

dan webster is offline  
post #117 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rutlian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstagl View Post

Yes, that was it.

But I have good news, I think. I've been watching the disc I had problems with--Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix--for over an hour now with zero problems so far. They were originally random, but they had kicked in by this time.

For now I'm going to attribute my previous issue to heat since I'd been using the player for quite a while when it happened. A friend of mine recommended picking up a USB-powered fan so if this happens again I might try that.

If anyone else has the same issue, I would love to know details about your experience.

Thanks!
Dave

I watched the NT2 and still happening, But my 1500 is not that hot but let me know if ended up buying the usb fan that is a good idea. I like it.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
rutlian is offline  
post #118 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rutlian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

Don't worry this player will have its' share of problems. Read the first dozen pages of the BD30 thread, once upon a time it was the cheapest player offering the most performance. The euphoria over the BD30 was reaching an all time high, it took a good 3 dozen pages of posts before the various bugs worked their way to the surface. In spite of everything, in the world of bluray, the Panasonic is still considered very good.

Now you have the Samsung, another player that does everything and for even a little less, for sure anyone who purchases this player and watches a few rounds of movies without an issue for sure will think they have beaten the system. The reality is that every Bluray player Samsung has touched has had their share of issues thus far, in fact, I don't think you can even find a thread about a Samsung SD DVD player that hasn't been rife with issues. Samsung will always be on the cutting edge as far as perceived value but you will always be taking your chances with reliability, not to mention suspect customer service. All of my experiences with Samsung have been consistently spotty and you can just jump in at any random point on any Samsung bluray or SD DVD thread and it will reveal somebody wrestling with some issue.

I was at BB today and saw the 1500 and I got to tell you, I wasn't impressed. This thing is by far the cheapest and lightest built player out there, it looks more plain jane then classy and minimalistic. I thought the Panasonic BD30 was on the lightweight side but compared to the 1500, the Panasonic inspires more confidence. Wait for the new Sonys, get the BD30, the best value isn't always the cheapest price.


So far no bluray outhere is perfect, atleast we took the risk of getting what we want and satisfied with it, If you don't have anything to say good about this player you need to move on and go look for another thread, You must hate samsung that much that even the looks outside of the players matters to you. You must be very happy for the bluray player you got. What matters to me is the PQ and Audio capabilities that this machine can offer. Than you even offer to wait for the sony or get the bd30 well FYI I had the bd30 and return it. I also have a bd10a hd a2 and a30.

This is an owner's thread so if don't own this unit go look for another thread.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
rutlian is offline  
post #119 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Member
 
dstagl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

I watched the NT2 and still happening, But my 1500 is not that hot but let me know if ended up buying the usb fan that is a good idea. I like it.

As I was continuing to watch Harry Potter, as I got closer to the end I was getting little skips--maybe 1 or 2 that are almost like a bad layer change on an old DVD player. Maybe it was a layer switch, but it also correlates with length of usage, and the player was pretty warm when I finished the movie.

Today I went and picked up a little USB powered fan that I plugged into the back of the 1500. I think my player is pretty well ventilated as is, but this will hopefully add a little extra for very little extra cost. Plus it's probably helping all my other components as well.

Of course, those skips could have been nothing. I'm still so new to the format and there is such a mixed bag of reports on glitches out there it's hard to figure out what is disc related, player related, or just format related. I watched Close Encounters tonight and had one little blip 90 minutes in that, again, felt like it might have been a layer switch but it was in a strange place for a layer switch.

Despite this stuff, I'm extremely happy with the player. I never got to see Close Enounters in the theater and tonight was as close as I could have ever been to that.

Dave
dstagl is offline  
post #120 of 5645 Old 05-23-2008, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rutlian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

I agree. Looking at the video performance of any BD player or tv for that matter at a big box store is a complete waste of time. I have owned this player for about a week now and it continues to impress me more and more as i watch more movies. I could care less how much it weighs or looks for that matter. However i think it looks just fine, especially the disk tray when it opens about 2 seconds after i press open. This is my third BD player and i am sure at some point in the future there will be an issue with something but in the meantime My son and i are going to finish watching Live free or die hard with the 1500 bitstreaming Dts master audio to my Integra 9.8. It sure beats my old vcr.


I agree looks and weight don't matter, For me this machine looks very good inside and it is too heavy with high quality performance pq or aq.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
rutlian is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off