The Official Samsung BD-P1500 Owner's Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 5647 Old 07-27-2008, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
and in the menu you did find the english, french, and spanish ones right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 5647 Old 07-27-2008, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yep, and just found this on a online review for the movie "Leaving a far more substantial mark than its video counterpart, the uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround track (48kHz/24-Bit/6.9Mbps) Disney mastered for this high-def release" So it looks like they must have mislabled the box..
post #1533 of 5647 Old 07-27-2008, 06:50 AM

That's what happens when marketing people and artists write technical information
post #1534 of 5647 Old 07-27-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

That sounds like the same issue I was having with Doomsday, the only way I got it to go away was to turn off all screen messages in the player menu. As it stands right now i'm thinking of returning this player when Wal-mart has the Sony 350 for $350 or before my 90 days are up whatever comes first, unless Samsung gets this thing fixed. I haven't been able to hook this thing up to my reciever to see how it works when bitstreaming to my Onkyo but I had some brief drop-outs watching a couple movies that have me worried that this player is just poorly designed.

I have this same issue on The Mummy/Mummy Returns as well.

Are we the odd-men out or is this a universal issue?
post #1535 of 5647 Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

That sounds like the same issue I was having with Doomsday, the only way I got it to go away was to turn off all screen messages in the player menu. As it stands right now i'm thinking of returning this player when Wal-mart has the Sony 350 for $350 or before my 90 days are up whatever comes first, unless Samsung gets this thing fixed. I haven't been able to hook this thing up to my reciever to see how it works when bitstreaming to my Onkyo but I had some brief drop-outs watching a couple movies that have me worried that this player is just poorly designed.

THANKS! I will have a look at that. I sure hope I have a menu option like that. My wife and son will not tolerate having to do what I did to turn it off if it pops up on other discs in the future. I really don't care for BD live, bonus view, secondary audio, etc. I am more of a purist and just want the best audio and video I can get. If I want to do all that or play games, thats what the computer, xbox, etc..is for.

As for your woes on the unit....With me, so far so good. I have not had ANY audio dropouts bitstreaming to my Onkyo 606 and have played about two dozen discs through it. Also, I work for Wal-Mart and the only player we currently carry from Sony is the S300 and it is currently $374 dollars and just had a price drop so I am not sure if your 90 day target will work out.
post #1536 of 5647 Old 07-27-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryton View Post

damn, I think I got jacked! I dont think I can return this now :0(

Yeah you got jacked when you actually paid for that movie! :-)

J\\K....I checked and it's a typo on the box. LPCM is your HD audio choice for that movie.
post #1537 of 5647 Old 07-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Before all the audio dropout posts there were a lot of posts about how hot the 1500 got.

We have a baby so I can't watch a movie a day like all the kids, but I had watched 3 movies with no problems. Tonight I watched the Guardian, however, and about 90 minutes into the movie it started skipping like there were scratches or smudges on the disc. When I went to eject the disc, the player was HOT. I pulled it out of its shelf and I couldn't touch the bottom for more than a second without being burned so I let it sit there for a minute or 2 and restarted the movie. It played for about 5 minutes and started skipping again so I turned off the 1500 for 10 minutes so it could cool. I restarted the movie and it played through the end which leads me to believe the problem was heat related.

There is about 1/2 inch on all sides for ventilation, but I guess that isn't enough.

I never had a heat problem with my old Toshiba DVD payer in the same place.

Is the Wal Mart return window 90 days on these?

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #1538 of 5647 Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Onkyo TX-SR606 with a Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray set to( bitstream audiophile)When I hit the Display button on my 606- it says PCM fs: 48khz hit display agian gives me DTS HD MA
why is there both displays?

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Cyber Power PFC 1500VA UPS
LG 55in 240hz LED 55LM7600 TV
post #1539 of 5647 Old 07-27-2008, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahicks View Post

Yeah you got jacked when you actually paid for that movie! :-)

J\\K....I checked and it's a typo on the box. LPCM is your HD audio choice for that movie.

LOL NO KIDDING! I got it for my wife, she love dancing movies.. but I agree completely
post #1540 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

Before all the audio dropout posts there were a lot of posts about how hot the 1500 got.

We have a baby so I can't watch a movie a day like all the kids, but I had watched 3 movies with no problems. Tonight I watched the Guardian, however, and about 90 minutes into the movie it started skipping like there were scratches or smudges on the disc. When I went to eject the disc, the player was HOT. I pulled it out of its shelf and I couldn't touch the bottom for more than a second without being burned so I let it sit there for a minute or 2 and restarted the moice. It played for about 5 minutes and started skipping again so I turned on the 1500 for 10 minutes so it could cool. I restarted the movie and it played through the end which leads me to believe the problem was heat related.

There is about 1/2 inch on all sides for ventilation, but I guess that isn't enough.

It is 90 days. Reading your post, I am begining to wonder if this issue is really the worst design marker for the 1500. I got a nice Antec cooler beneath this unit-works well-no heat issues, but really why should one have to cool this unit like that? What if this cooler dies? Not to mention, it cost extra. In retrospect, it makes me feel like I'm giving this unit a crutch(that all the new BD's apparently don't need) and continue defending it on audio drops/etc. It's good looking, when it works right it's great. I want to like this D*** thing. Maybe it's another Samsung blunder? 1000, 1200. 1400, 5000? Strike 5?

Tony B
post #1541 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

My 1500 is going back on Wednesday, replaced with a BD50. I bought the 1500 because all the reviews promised DTS-HD MA decoding eventually, and a sales rep even told me there was an upcoming firmware to update to DTS-HD (I assumed MA, but I guess he didn't specify).

However, after having the unit awhile, uncovering a few issues (not deal breakers for me though), and doing my own leg work, I'm less than convinced this unit will ever decode DTS-HD MA.

In January, the BD-P1500 was announced as shipping with built-in decoding for TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. In April, Samsung announced that the player had been delayed, and that it would ship a month late with TrueHD decoding, but no DTS-HD of any kind. The same release said DTS-HD HR decoding would be added at a later date. No mention of DTS-HD MA. Also, there is no Broadcom 7440 implementation on the market that decodes DTS-HD MA (and none planned for any future player we know of), so I'm not even sure the chip can handle it.

Now, Samsung has announced a new player for this fall, which will ship with DTS-HD MA decoding and TrueHD decoding (plus it has the Reon).

Now it sounds like Samsung is following the model of Sony and Panasonic, with an entry lelvel player that doesn't decode everything, and then a better model that has all the bells and whistles.

If Samsung has a 1500 that decodes all audio formats and is Profile 2.0, what is the push to help them sell the 2500? Just the Reon? I'm not sure that is enough. I expect Samsung to hold back DTS-HD MA decoding on the 1500 and only offer that on the 2500. They may deliver on their promise for DTS-HD HR firmware, but that isn't enough for me.
post #1542 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone actually seen a written statement from Samsung in regards to the DTS-HD decoding? All I read is "hearsay" and I have yet to see an official statement.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #1543 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

Has anyone actually seen a written statement from Samsung in regards to the DTS-HD decoding? All I read is "hearsay" and I have yet to see an official statement.

Not sure if these qualify as official statements but here you go.

CNET's review indicated that Samsung told them that they will add DTS-HD-MA later with a firmware update. However Ultimate AV Magazine's review (written weeks later) says that Samsung told them that it won't happen.

So no even Samsung knows for sure

My guess, it was going to happen until they decided to make the BD-P2500.
post #1544 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Not sure if these qualify as official statements but here you go.

CNET's review indicated that Samsung told them that they will add DTS-HD-MA later with a firmware update. However Ultimate AV Magazine's review (written weeks later) says that Samsung told them that it won't happen.

So no even Samsung knows for sure

My guess, it was going to happen until they decided to make the BD-P2500.

Well they sure as hell better make it profile 2.0 after all the BD-LIVE ready labels covering the box! I'll be flat pissed if its BD-Live "ready" but never completed, what kind of nonsense would that be!?!?

Panasonic 50" VT25 3D = Beauty
post #1545 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 01:20 PM

Anybody know anything of this?? Samsung BD-P2550/XAA....???

Never heard of it. Could this be what is rumored as the new 2500?? Typo? Mistake? OR.......

link:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/tr...m=BD-P2550/XAA
post #1546 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

Yes. I have. In April, Samsung released a press release informing their authorized resellers and the AV press that the players release date was being delayed one month. In that press release, it states that Profile 2.0 will be added later via firmware update. It also states the unit would ship with no DTS-HD decoding (reversing their Januray CES release), but that DTS-HD HR would be added with a future firmware update. It made no mention of DTS-HD MA.

I believe that the statement got misread/misrepresented (you know the pass it on effect) and this is the source of "Samsung said the 1500 would be updated to DTS-HD MA with a future firmware upgrade." What they actually said was DTS-HD HR.
post #1547 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSalt View Post

Anybody know anything of this?? Samsung BD-P2550/XAA....???

Never heard of it. Could this be what is rumored as the new 2500?? Typo? Mistake? OR.......

link:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/tr...m=BD-P2550/XAA

My guess is typo (should be 2500), or the rumored 2500 is going to release so late this year, that Samsung will release it as the 2550 (gen 5), with a 1550 following early in 2009.
post #1548 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

My guess is typo (should be 2500), or the rumored 2500 is going to release so late this year, that Samsung will release it as the 2550 (gen 5), with a 1550 following early in 2009.

NOPE It's Coming BD-P2500 -P2550

http://certificates.iecee.org/cbtest...3?OpenDocument

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Cyber Power PFC 1500VA UPS
LG 55in 240hz LED 55LM7600 TV
post #1549 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

We have a baby so I can't watch a movie a day like all the kids, but I had watched 3 movies with no problems. Tonight I watched the Guardian, however, and about 90 minutes into the movie it started skipping like there were scratches or smudges on the disc. When I went to eject the disc, the player was HOT. I pulled it out of its shelf and I couldn't touch the bottom for more than a second without being burned so I let it sit there for a minute or 2 and restarted the moice. It played for about 5 minutes and started skipping again so I turned on the 1500 for 10 minutes so it could cool. I restarted the movie and it played through the end which leads me to believe the problem was heat related.

If you read back a few pages, your issue sounds exactly like what happened to mine. Started and went downhill quickly. Walmart does have 90day return policy. I really think my 1500 was heat related, I refuse to use a cooler or anything to compensate for samsung's bad design and cost cutting.
I returned my 1500, got a S350 from Sony and just like my Panny Bd30, no heat issues at all, cool to touch and works great.
post #1550 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 07:00 PM

I've watched probably 15 movies on my player and have yet to notice any "heat" issues. One saturday I even watched 8 hours of movies. After the 4th hour, I did let the player cool off for 30 mins, which it became room temperature cold in less than those 30 minutes, which to me means that the body heatsink of the player works just as it should. Now, whether it should be heating up so much while playing is a different question. Regardless, I haven't had any problems with mine.
post #1551 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I've watched BD movies for 6 hours straight with no heat related issues... of course we liberally use our central air (@72F) and the home theater is located in the basement (always ~68F) and low humidity. I do think both heat and humidity are the destroyers of electronics... and also I would suppose if everything got hot enough internally the difference in the expansion rates of various components would make it a challenge for the laser tracking...

Samsung should have probably used a bigger heat sink or else a fan. My unit is sandwich between a 3/4" solid oak shelf (and you know how wood can hold heat in) and an Oppo (sitting on top of it) with maybe a half-inch clearance... still I've not witnessed any heat-related issues yet. Tomorrow my Sony bdp-s350 arrives and I will rotate the Sammy to the upstairs theater... I shall see what a difference the 4F makes, if any. BTW, all my component electronics are on shelves in open-aired (all around) entertainment racks.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1552 of 5647 Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 PM

In reading this thread over the last few weeks I'm finding it interesting that it's becoming fashionable to return the 1500 and declare it a bad product. I think some people may be returning a perfectly functioning 1500 simply because of FUD stirred up by others. I've watch a bunch of BD's and SD-DVD's and the only disc I've had a problem with is Ratatouille. And that improved dramatically with the recent firmware update. I know I haven't tried some of the discs that others have claimed are problematic but I still think some people are returning these units prematurely.
post #1553 of 5647 Old 07-29-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmac1 View Post

In reading this thread over the last few weeks I'm finding it interesting that it's becoming fashionable to return the 1500 and declare it a bad product. I think some people may be returning a perfectly functioning 1500 simply because of FUD stirred up by others. I've watch a bunch of BD's and SD-DVD's and the only disc I've had a problem with is Ratatouille. And that improved dramatically with the recent firmware update. I know I haven't tried some of the discs that others have claimed are problematic but I still think some people are returning these units prematurely.

post #1554 of 5647 Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I know there are players with issues (like my firmware that randomly reset) that need to be returned. There are probably some that really do overheat too. Also, there were problems with Rat and Rambo initially, and they were not corrected with the first firmware. In addition, the first firmware appears to have broke Enchanted and Dewey Cox, which were working for bitstreaming, but now have severe audio drops. It also does weird stuff like convert a 5.1 TrueHD track to 7.1 PCM track when decoding internally.

There is also definately an issue with Bonus View. We still don't know if it is the 1500 or bad disc authoring. I do know that on the BD30/BD50, if you play Resident Evil 3 (or the Mummy, Mummy 2, and others) you can play the movie without a bonus view icon on the screen at all times. The only way to do this on the 1500, is to turn off all messages, so you loose all your play/pause indicators, time bar, and other features. This is either a bad design, or a flaw Samsung overlooked before shipping the player.

So I definately think there are design/performance issues that could be reason enough for some to return the player in favor of a BD30/BD50/S350 which doesn't have these issues. You may think this is too picky and others may think you are too lax to accept these flaws on a $400 item.
post #1555 of 5647 Old 07-29-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:

Go read my posts on page 49 and 50 starting with post 1466 on my 2 day downfall of my 1500. What I had was a bad player that I tried to repair through Samsung and got the shaft.

Ironically, my 1500 never had any issues with Ratatouille or Rambo. Mine started with Walk hard (audio drops until I paused and pressed play), then wouldn't play SD-DVD's without jumping all over the movie, then all TrueHD audio was lost. During this however, I actually tried Rambo and it worked fine. What I did notice on my player is that after watching a movie my player was not just warm, but HOT, yes, I could not hold my hand on the body for more than 5 seconds without discomfort.

I had my 1500 on the top shelf of an open air stand, glass shelves and I did actually add a little room underneath with rubber feet. Like I said, up until my player went south it was perfectly fine, we watched a movie a day easy on it. But when it did go south, samsung technical support left a bad taste in my mouth by wanting to charge a deposit for the warranty repair. So I just took it back to walmart and am now swearing off Samsung players due to the way they wanted to handle a warranty repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnoriis View Post

There is also definately an issue with Bonus View. We still don't know if it is the 1500 or bad disc authoring. I do know that on the BD30/BD50, if you play Resident Evil 3 (or the Mummy, Mummy 2, and others) you can play the movie without a bonus view icon on the screen at all times. The only way to do this on the 1500, is to turn off all messages, so you loose all your play/pause indicators, time bar, and other features. This is either a bad design, or a flaw Samsung overlooked before shipping the player.

So I definately think there are design/performance issues that could be reason enough for some to return the player in favor of a BD30/BD50/S350 which doesn't have these issues. You may think this is too picky and others may think you are too lax to accept these flaws on a $400 item.

Like you said, some do have issues (I'm sure some Sony's and panasonics do too that require a return). Bonus view was annoying at best on the 1500 and I do not have any issues or icons on my 350, so to me that is a 1500 issue. Perfromance wise, the 1500 still started up great and played discs fast, but it made so much noise that while I was ready to live with it, I didn't like it, especially in-movie when it would do something, it was very noticeable.

As for those that think some are picky well, to each his own, but when I buy something I should not have to make accomodations (like USB coolers) to ensure it works as advertised. No consumers should just "accept' a flaw because they have a way to work around it.

What was nice on my S350 is how surprisingly small and light it is. very efficient design, well laid out and even after 2 movies back to back, cool to the touch in the same location the 1500 was. no fan noise, no disc seek/loading noises.
post #1556 of 5647 Old 07-29-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the 1500 is a very zippy/responsive player. No doubt there. Having played with the BD50 now too, the 1500 is a hair faster in booting and loading discs, and the remote seems more responsive. Out of about 20 discs that I played through it, I had some type of playback problem on 4, which is a high percentage, but not alot of discs.

But that said, the more I used the player, the more I felt like it was a product that was rushed to market without proper testing and bug fixes. I mean, when the player was released, there were a whopping three Bonus View movies. How hard would it have been for Samsung to watch all three as part of the testing of that feature? Then they would know about the icon problem and could have a better fix than just turning off all screen indicators. I think it is obvious they didn't test Bonus View with any real world content.

The drives are noisy, which Samsung would obviously have to know about, but not care (or think it is a problem).

I think the big problem is that this is Samsung's 4th generation of Blu-ray player, and it still has several bugs. I realize part of this is caused by an evolving format spec, but not for problems with playback stability of DVD's, incorrectly decoding TrueHD, audio dropouts, etc. because those specs have been in place since day 1. The 1500 is probably the top Samsung player to date, but it still feels like a design in process, with the end user being tasked to do all the debugging for Samsung, and pay $400 to boot.

This during a time when companies have started streeting players (S350, BD50, Denon's, Marantz, Pioneer) that behave like fully debugged models that seem to handle everything that is thrown at them.
post #1557 of 5647 Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm happy with my 1500, but I don't use it much. It has played all the BD movies I have so far without issues, but we're talking maybe 10 movies or so since I bought it on 5/13. Reading all these posts lately has made me a bit paraniod as my 90 days are coming close to an end with Walmart.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #1558 of 5647 Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

This during a time when companies have started streeting players (S350, BD50, Denon's, Marantz, Pioneer) that behave like fully debugged models that seem to handle everything that is thrown at them.

Not to mention all the Funai clones(Philips, Sylvania, Insignia and Magnavox). I think that speaks for the ability of companies to get it right. For those, it was first or second generation to get things right.

On a positive note, I still have the player and never had an SD DVD issue and played I am Legend bitstreaming True HD last night with no issues.
I haven't tried Dewey Cox, Rambo, etc. I did have issues with Rat on original firmware and major drops on Enchanted.

Maybe we should have a thread devoted to the problem discs for the 1500?

Tony B
post #1559 of 5647 Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM

Hi,

I'd like to know if your're facing the same issue as I do with the 24p mode ?

My 1500 plug into an Onkyo 875 itself plug to my 1080p 24p Philips LCD.

When I puts the 24p mode on I have no picture and no sound and when I change for 60p it works fine !!!

I try the same with my HD-DVD player no problem with the 24p mode.

So I figure out that the problem is with the 24p mode of the 1500.

Is someone got the same problem ?
post #1560 of 5647 Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinKzo View Post

If you read back a few pages, your issue sounds exactly like what happened to mine. Started and went downhill quickly. Walmart does have 90day return policy. I really think my 1500 was heat related, I refuse to use a cooler or anything to compensate for samsung's bad design and cost cutting.
I returned my 1500, got a S350 from Sony and just like my Panny Bd30, no heat issues at all, cool to touch and works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinKzo View Post

Go read my posts on page 49 and 50 starting with post 1466 on my 2 day downfall of my 1500. What I had was a bad player that I tried to repair through Samsung and got the shaft.

Ironically, my 1500 never had any issues with Ratatouille or Rambo. Mine started with Walk hard (audio drops until I paused and pressed play), then wouldn't play SD-DVD's without jumping all over the movie, then all TrueHD audio was lost. During this however, I actually tried Rambo and it worked fine. What I did notice on my player is that after watching a movie my player was not just warm, but HOT, yes, I could not hold my hand on the body for more than 5 seconds without discomfort.

Well I retruned my 1500 today, but Wal-Mart was a pain about it because I originally got a $100 gift card with it that has been spent.

Anyway, I agree about the player being HOT. You said 5 seconds, but I couldn't touch it for more than 1 second without getting burned. It was still WARM 2 HOURS AFTER I STOPPED THE MOVIE! I have a 7 month old that plays in the same room and since she loves to reach and pull things I really don't want her scalding herself.

As for the person who thinks that we are inventing these problems, my DVR and receiver get warm, but the 1500 was literally hot enough to fry an egg.

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page