Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5647 Old 05-26-2008, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

So if you have a HDMI 1.3 receiver, you would select Bitstream (Audiophile) option and NOT having Secondary and Effect audio???

It doesn't sound like an acceptable option to me

I am not sure what Secondary and Effects audio means, other than mixing other sound data into the stream. The audiophile option is the most "pure" mix, meaning free of any extra data. This is what you use to output strictly what was encoded to begin with without any extra data added on. What it is doing is not a "bad thing", but is only outputting unaltered data.

Admiral Joker's Mad Blog
Where the INMAE runs the ASYLUM!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5647 Old 05-26-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
With secondary audio and video you can have a small picture in the background and a extra audio track. The problem is that with any player not only the Samsung you will loose the ability to bitstream pure Dolby TrueHd or DTS MA with secondary audio on.

It is not a defect in the machine but is part of the specifications for Blu-Ray 1.1. You have the option to turn secondary audio on when you want it or off if you want to hear the best audio quality bitstreamed.
post #183 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmac1 View Post

Hi all. I've been following this thread for about a week. Yesterday I went into BB and bought this (my first) BRD player. I also picked up Ratatouille and NT2 at the same time. My AV receiver only decodes DTS-ES, DD-EX and DPLII. I had forgotten until last night that it has 6 channel analog inputs, but oh well.

I'm using the optical out with the "Bitstream (re-encode)" option so it send to the receiver as DTS. I had no audio problems at all on NT2 but had quite a few (probably 15 or so) brief audio drop-outs in Ratatouille. Hopefully this is fixable via firmware. Overall I like the player but if there isn't a fix in 30 days, I'll probably return it and maybe get a player with analog outs (although I have no idea which player that would be in the same price range).

I've had this unit for about 2 weeks now and the only audio drops I've experienced was while viewing Ratatouille last night. I wonder if its the disc and not the player. Are other players out there having the same issue with this disc? That would tell if its the player or not.

I'm not snobbish and uninformed.
post #184 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

For those who can't get this in their area... like me... I've been watching all the local outlets for ordering. According to CC they will have it tommorrow available for shipping. we shall see

link

we shall see....

They changed the date to "coming soon"

I asked my local BB and they can't even order it.

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #185 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotec View Post

I've had this unit for about 2 weeks now and the only audio drops I've experienced was while viewing Ratatouille last night. I wonder if its the disc and not the player. Are other players out there having the same issue with this disc? That would tell if its the player or not.

I haven't had any dropouts with Ratatouille.

Dave
post #186 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Looks like 2 BB's in town have this in stock, according to the website anyway. I might just go pick one up during lunch time. I will be paying too much for it but I'm tired of waiting for an "affordable" Blu Ray player and this one is at least $100 less than the Panasonic I have had my eye on forever. Sound like it might be a better player too.
post #187 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Looks like 2 BB's in town have this in stock, according to the website anyway. I might just go pick one up during lunch time. I will be paying too much for it but I'm tired of waiting for an "affordable" Blu Ray player and this one is at least $100 less than the Panasonic I have had my eye on forever. Sound like it might be a better player too.

I definitely think it is a better player than the BD-30, but you cannot go wrong with the BD-30 if that is your choice. Panasonic defintely keeps on top of the firmware updates which is good, but it has taken them many iterations to get the player to where it is today (still has the True HD dropout issue though). Of course the price helps (about $100-150 less). I see you are in Charlotte, NC too. I believe the new store at Northlake and Mooresville has these in stock. I purchased mine at the Mooresville store a few weeks ago.

There have been some reports of audio drops, but these also plagued the BD-30 (much more noticeable with Dolby True HD). I havent experienced any problems yet, but honestly there is no perfect player. I suggest that you give it a try. A really good effort from Samsung.
post #188 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I bought mine from a BB in southern California the weekend before last. There are several stores in my area, but they all seem to operate alike. Units sat on a sealed truck on Friday night and wouldn't be stocked until the next morning. Here it is 10 days later, and they still don't have them displayed, but will bring one out from the back on request, presumably because they still have quite a few 1400s in stock. I think it's a bit dishonest to push the 1400 at the same price while requiring inside knowledge --obtained here -- to get the "real deal".

That being said, I plan on keeping the Sammy for a couple of more weeks before returning it and going to Walmart to get the Panny for $50 more, which I believe to be a superior unit.
post #189 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 10:08 AM

I am not getting audio drops when watching Rambo. I replayed the same section over and had the same problem. It appears to be a problem with either the disk or the player. Now, this is a DTS disk and is being output via optical to my receiver. I shall investigate further to find out what is going on.

Admiral Joker's Mad Blog
post #190 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralJoker View Post

I am not getting audio drops when watching Rambo. I replayed the same section over and had the same problem. It appears to be a problem with either the disk or the player. Now, this is a DTS disk and is being output via optical to my receiver. I shall investigate further to find out what is going on.

Did you mean to say, "I am now getting audio drops when watching Rambo." ?
post #191 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstagl View Post

I haven't had any dropouts with Ratatouille.

Dave

Are you using HDMI with Bitstream audiophile setting?

Tony B
post #192 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Guys with native 720p sets.....are you running the player in 1080i or 720p? I'm just wondering because on my Sharp Aquos LC-32D43U, the "Samsung" logo appears much sharper in 1080i, but after a few movie tests, I can't see that much difference. What did you guys decide to go with?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #193 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine is 720p mits hd1000u, I noticed also that the logo is sharper with 1080i compare to 720p I left it in 1080i. But I agree it is hard to tell during playback. But in display 1080i looks sharper and better. Goodluck

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #194 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you using HDMI with bitstream audiophile setting?

Tony B
post #195 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 05:27 PM

I am using HDMI with bitstream audiophile setting through an Onkyo 705 and have had 2 audio drop outs while watching Ratatouille. Just purchased this player today at wal-mart and this is my first movie with blu ray. I'll try it out for a few days and see how I like the player.
post #196 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems to be a few folks from Charlotte watching this thread so thought I would mention that I found a player at the Walmart on Eastway. They had just one in the security lock up and I picked it up right after work. I called around first and while most of them knew what I was talking about, only this store actually had one. The other locations said it was on order.
post #197 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Are you using HDMI with Bitstream audiophile setting?

Sorry, I should have put how I'm listening in. I am using the re-encode Bitstream via the Optical output to my old Sony Receiver--my receiver upgrade is likely 6 to 18 months out. Video is 720p HDMI through the Oppo HDMI switcher to my Epson Home Cinema 720 PJ. On Ratatouille I was listening to the uncompressed audio track this way.

I haven't had any skips or dropouts since I hooked up my little USB fan. There was some weirdness flickering on the end credits when I watched Spider-Man 3 last night, but it was always repeatable in the same spot--unlike my previous drops/skips--so I'm chalking that up to a disc specific problem that I really don't care about because it was only the credits.

Something I noticed is that my possible heat issues might not have been created only the 1500. My Nintendo Wii stands vertical on the right side(when facing the front of the unit) with about 4" of clearance. The bottom of the Wii gets pretty warm when the Wii is in standby, and powering it completely down helped tremendously with heat on that shelf. I'm in the process of figuring out how to reorganize everything to give the Blu-Ray it's own shelf, but it's going to be a while before I can do that.

In the meantime I'm trying to be very systematic whenever I have an error. But at this point I've watched more movies without any problems than I have with problems.

Dave
post #198 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

Guys with native 720p sets.....are you running the player in 1080i or 720p? I'm just wondering because on my Sharp Aquos LC-32D43U, the "Samsung" logo appears much sharper in 1080i, but after a few movie tests, I can't see that much difference. What did you guys decide to go with?

I'm using a native 720p projector. I haven't played with 1080i, but I played with 1080p a bit and noticed the same thing with the Samsung logo. However, I was noticing jaggies at times while set to 1080p especially on wide shots so I flipped back to 720p. I think it's really going to be all about the scaler in your set or projector.

Dave
post #199 of 5647 Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, I should have put how I'm listening in. I am using the re-encode Bitstream via the Optical output to my old Sony Receiver--my receiver upgrade is likely 6 to 18 months out. Video is 720p HDMI through the Oppo HDMI switcher to my Epson Home Cinema 720 PJ. On Ratatouille I was listening to the uncompressed audio track this way.

I haven't had any skips or dropouts since I hooked up my little USB fan. There was some weirdness flickering on the end credits when I watched Spider-Man 3 last night, but it was always repeatable in the same spot--unlike my previous drops/skips--so I'm chalking that up to a disc specific problem that I really don't care about because it was only the credits.

Something I noticed is that my possible heat issues might not have been created only the 1500. My Nintendo Wii stands vertical on the right side(when facing the front of the unit) with about 4" of clearance. The bottom of the Wii gets pretty warm when the Wii is in standby, and powering it completely down helped tremendously with heat on that shelf. I'm in the process of figuring out how to reorganize everything to give the Blu-Ray it's own shelf, but it's going to be a while before I can do that.

In the meantime I'm trying to be very systematic whenever I have an error. But at this point I've watched more movies without any problems than I have with problems.

Dave

Tell me about this USB fan, please?

Tony B
post #200 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1

------------------------------

I just finished watching the Rambo I am connected via hdmi to my Onkyo 705
no audio drops here, But the scene that Rambo having a flashback or dreaming about the past was AWESOME. Nice sounds, I stopped watching movies in theaters waiting all movies in DVD/bluray disc so I never expected that scene wth Rambo suddenly no picture just black in the screen followed by the loud boom that's scared me so I skip back to make sure it's part of the movie and yeah it was part of the movie wow what a work out for my sub. I enjoyed the movie. Lot of bullets flying around. Back to 1500 with 720p display like the other owner I have also a 720p projector but I've been watching it in 1080p from samsung 1500 I was surprised becaused when I press display over my pj's remote is says 1080p 60 and I like it so stayed with but I will check the 720p mode if it is any better.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #201 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

For those having possible heat issues it might be possible to use one of those low cost laptop coolers with this unit. Targus, Antec and others make them. Most are powered by a usb port. You can use the usb port on the 1500. Just place the cooler under the 1500. Be sure you have the fan placed under the openings on the 1500 case.
post #202 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I did not have a chance to try the player out last night because, well...I don't have any movies yet. I hope to get some during lunch today and try this thing out tonight. I did plug it up and it looks really slick. I think it will make a nice addition to the rack. I'm anxious to see if it displays below black video as my Toshiba HD-A2 has been clipping below black. I need to pick up a few duplicate copies of Blu Ray movies that I already own in HD-DVD to compare I suppose. The Digital Video Essentials disc will have to be one of those for sure.
post #203 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:

I just went over to Fry's and picked up a little generic USB powered fan. Looks like the kind of fan you'd find in a computer--and that's where I found it. I plugged it into the USB port on the 1500, and it worked. I got the idea from a friend of mine who did the same with his PS3. It's pretty quiet.

I also tried one of those laptop coolers which was bigger, but the one I tried--I don't know the brand--wouldn't power from the 1500's USB port. I was going to try inverting it and placing it on top of the 1500 to blow the heat upward because I'm not sure how effective it would be to just blow it all below the unit.

My fan is currently on the side of the unit, and like a fan in a computer it functions as exhaust to blow the warm air out and away from my gear.

Dave
post #204 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want to try a laptop cooler that will work with the 1500 try the Antec. I have and it works. They often sell them at very low prices. The advantage of using a laptop cooler rather than a usb fan is that you can put in under the unit where the openings are. There are no other openings on the 1500.

Has anyone discovered what chipset samsung is using on the 1500?
post #205 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 AM

I am going to take my player back and get another and see if it happens with my Rambo disc. Then I am going to take Rambo back and see if that is the issue if it is still happening Let you all know later what is going on.

Admiral Joker's Mad Blog
post #206 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Are you using HDMI with bitstream audiophile setting?

I'm using the bitsteam audiophile setting. The only drops so far has been while watching Ratatoulie. I also have watched Troy, Casino Royale, Independence Day this past holiday weekend with no problems.

I'm not snobbish and uninformed.
post #207 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm using the bitsteam audiophile setting. The only drops so far has been while watching Ratatoulie. I also have watched Troy, Casino Royale, Independence Day this past holiday weekend with no problems.

This is sounding like an issue. I think Samsung has fixed "most?" of the audio issues of the 1400 with firmware updates. Here we go, hoping for a firmware fix and waiting on that 2.0 update. Let's hope it all comes through.

Tony B
post #208 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Dave

I picked this player up over the weekend, along with Spiderman 3 and National Treasure 2. I had the same weird flickering on the credits of Spiderman 3, but no other issues to report with the player or these two discs. Seems like a great player. Cant wait for my new Samsung LCD to arrive to pair up with

post #209 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is sounding like an issue. I think Samsung has fixed "most?" of the audio issues of the 1400 with firmware updates. Here we go, hoping for a firmware fix and waiting on that 2.0 update. Let's hope it all comes through.

"This is like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
post #210 of 5647 Old 05-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

"This is like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra

Very appropriate!

Tony B