The Official Samsung BD-P1500 Owner's Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, I have the bdp-1500 but need to program my onkyo receiver remote. Anyone know the 4 digit remote code for this player?

Thanks,
Ryan

"Coffee is for Closers"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I think the audio issues may be with the disk rather than with the player. The Panasonic BD30 has had similar issues and a few people with the Mag players have also had audio drop outs on a few disks using Dolby True HD or DTSMA. I still believe it has to do with error correction and the quality control of the disks. Having said the above It might be possible to increase reading ability and get better error correction with firmware updates

I am very familar with computer disk burning drives and manufactures often do updates to increase readability and decrease errors in burning. We should also remember the stories about the reject rate on Blu-Ray disks. I think things are improving but some bad disks might be slipping by.
post #213 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I think the audio issues may be with the disk rather than with the player. The Panasonic BD30 has had similar issues and a few people with the Mag players have also had audio drop outs on a few disks using Dolby True HD or DTSMA. I still believe it has to do with error correction and the quality control of the disks. Having said the above It might be possible to increase reading ability and get better error correction with firmware updates

I am very familar with computer disk burning drives and manufactures often do updates to increase readability and decrease errors in burning. We should also remember the stories about the reject rate on Blu-Ray disks. I think things are improving but some bad disks might be slipping by.

Excellent point. I have had audio drops with all of my BD players to date (bd-30, ps3). I have yet to have a problem with the 1500, but I am sure a drop will occur sooner or later.
post #214 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boushh View Post

Looking at the manual, there seems to be no fan at the back of this unit..

Can owners confirm that this player has NO fans ?

I think it was confirmed early on in the thread that there is no onboard fan in the 1500. I just got mine last night so have not spent a lot of time with it myself. See the comments just recently in the thread regarding possible cooling solutions using a USB powered fan. There is a USB port at the back of the 1500 just under the Ethernet port. I think heat issues are user dependent as some people have their gear tightly packed with not much room for air flow while others have totally open racks which receive more than enough ambient air cooling. I would fall into the second category so I don't expect to run into any heat issues. I will report my impressions with that as soon as I get it up and running.
post #215 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I did find that the unit was getting warm (not hot) after playing a full disk with decent air flow. I am trying a laptop cooler using the USB port for power to see if there is any
reduction in heat. Again, there is no fan in this unit.
post #216 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 01:56 PM

Just to add another data point, I have had my P1500 for a couple of weeks and have not experienced any audio dropouts. For the the record, I am outputting sound via optical to a Yamaha YSP-800 sound bar using the Bitstream (audiophile) mode. I have tried a number of Blu-ray movies including HP: Order of the Phoenix which someone reported problems with earlier.

Its interesting that drop outs are a problem for so many players. This suggests that the problem may be due to an interaction effect between the players, the receivers/TVs, and the discs rather than being due to just one component.
post #217 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrtle View Post

Just to add another data point, I have had my P1500 for a couple of weeks and have not experienced any audio dropouts. For the the record, I am outputting sound via optical to a Yamaha YSP-800 sound bar using the Bitstream (audiophile) mode. I have tried a number of Blu-ray movies including HP: Order of the Phoenix which someone reported problems with earlier.

Its interesting that drop outs are a problem for so many players. This suggests that the problem may be due to an interaction effect between the players, the receivers/TVs, and the discs rather than being due to just one component.

And, maybe HDMI is a common thread?

Tony B
post #218 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Okay, I tested Rambo for the drop with a new disk. The spot is when they are on the boat and the head merch is asking Rambo if he said something, and puts his hand up to his ear. I tested it with a new disk and same issue. Tested it with the re-encode option and it still drops. Tried it with PCM. Still drops. Tried alternate language track and no drop on that track. Also, it is a disk that I have confirmed with others works fine in other players.

So, it appears to be either A)An issues that has to do with the DTS decoding with the player or B)An issue with the DTS-HD MA encode. Now, since there are so many issues, I tend to lean toward the player, but since I have tried other DTS-HD MA movies (Ice Age and Ice Age: The Meltdown), and have had no issues I am still confused. Also, I am using OPTICAL and not HDMI, so it is not isolated to HDMI.

It is an issue with the DTS track alone, and is happening on on this player (other person who used the disk has a PS3), so I tend to lean toward the DTS decoder in the player. I am on hold with Samsung now and will see what I can find out. Also, I am taking the player back tomorrow to test and see if the issue happens with replacement unit.

Admiral Joker's Mad Blog
Where the INMAE runs the ASYLUM!!!
post #219 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralJoker View Post

Okay, I tested Rambo for the drop with a new disk. The spot is when they are on the boat and the head merch is asking Rambo if he said something, and puts his hand up to his ear. I tested it with a new disk and same issue. Tested it with the re-encode option and it still drops. Tried it with PCM. Still drops. Tried alternate language track and no drop on that track. Also, it is a disk that I have confirmed with others works fine in other players.

So, it appears to be either A)An issues that has to do with the DTS decoding with the player or B)An issue with the DTS-HD MA encode. Now, since there are so many issues, I tend to lean toward the player, but since I have tried other DTS-HD MA movies (Ice Age and Ice Age: The Meltdown), and have had no issues I am still confused. Also, I am using OPTICAL and not HDMI, so it is not isolated to HDMI.

It is an issue with the DTS track alone, and is happening on on this player (other person who used the disk has a PS3), so I tend to lean toward the DTS decoder in the player. I am on hold with Samsung now and will see what I can find out. Also, I am taking the player back tomorrow to test and see if the issue happens with replacement unit.

I think I experienced an audio drop with the scene you described as I recall it was on that scene but I thought while Rambo was saying something when the audio drop occured and not with that head merch I thought. atleast a second so I tried it back and stand in front of my Onkyo 705 receiver see if it will change into DD for a second but it did not it stays DTS HD MSTR but I noticed that the volume drop on that scene only for a second. I will check it tonight to see if it's happen again. and maybe not even a second or less.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #220 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Having tried various players including the Samsung 1400, the BD30, the new Mag player and the Samsung 1500 I think that audio drop outs can be caused by several things.
I feel they include bad disks, HDCP handshake timing issues,players needing better error correction, and issues with certain receivers. I have spent hours with the BD30 having issues with audio drop outs going to a Onkyo 605. They were random and it has been very difficult to track down the source. I recently tried several other players including the new Mag and the Samsung 1500 and I also experienced a few drop outs. I just sold my Onkyo 605 because I needed more HDMI inputs getting a new 606 at a great price. I just hooked up the 606 and I tried several disks with issues that I had going into the 605. So far I have not had one audio drop out trying both the Samsung 1500 and the Panasonic BD30. I will make more tests in the next few days watching movies that I have had issues with. I am wondering if the the drop out problem that so many are experiencing is often caused by HDCP issues of timing causing loss of sync. I am not an expert but I have had issues with HDCP since day one. If the audio drop out issue is caused by a HDCP problem I think firmware updates will be needed not only by players but receivers having the issue. I am also wondering if several of the receiver manufactures are aware of the issue and do not want to take the blame because the cost of a firmware update can be very expensive. With a player it is usually done with a disk. With many receivers it is much more complicated. One would have to send it to a service center to do the flash update.
post #221 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I feel better that the problem is repeatable, but still disappointed that it is occuring. Ill try this disk in my player this weekend.
post #222 of 5645 Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

Hi All, I have the bdp-1500 but need to program my onkyo receiver remote. Anyone know the 4 digit remote code for this player?

Thanks,
Ryan

It's in the onkyo book. I don't have it in front of me right now. The only issue I've noticed is that it doesn't map the pause button.
post #223 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The drop out issue on Rambo is on the disk. Since you can reproduce it using different types of output codecs that proves the issue. It could be an error in mixing the original soundtrack. The issues that some have been having is a very quick audio drop out using HDMI.
post #224 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 04:33 AM

Now, before I done my Cubs' baseball cap, jump rope, and windbreaker (too poor to afford a fedora, leather jacket, and bull whip), like to address a previous post.

Quote:

Having tried various players including the Samsung 1400, the BD30, the new Mag player and the Samsung 1500 I think that audio drop outs can be caused by several things.
I feel they include bad disks, HDCP handshake timing issues,players needing better error correction, and issues with certain receivers. I have spent hours with the BD30 having issues with audio drop outs going to a Onkyo 605. They were random and it has been very difficult to track down the source. I recently tried several other players including the new Mag and the Samsung 1500 and I also experienced a few drop outs. I just sold my Onkyo 605 because I needed more HDMI inputs getting a new 606 at a great price. I just hooked up the 606 and I tried several disks with issues that I had going into the 605. So far I have not had one audio drop out trying both the Samsung 1500 and the Panasonic BD30. I will make more tests in the next few days watching movies that I have had issues with. I am wondering if the the drop out problem that so many are experiencing is often caused by HDCP issues of timing causing loss of sync. I am not an expert but I have had issues with HDCP since day one. If the audio drop out issue is caused by a HDCP problem I think firmware updates will be needed not only by players but receivers having the issue. I am also wondering if several of the receiver manufactures are aware of the issue and do not want to take the blame because the cost of a firmware update can be very expensive. With a player it is usually done with a disk. With many receivers it is much more complicated. One would have to send it to a service center to do the flash update.

HDCP would explain some of the issues that are HDMI related, however HDCP does not affect non-HDMI sources (ie. optical connections). Since people are having issues with the optical output and HDMI output, I doubt HDCP would be the culprit this time around, but I would not rule out it since there maybe multiple issues related to audio.

IN OTHER NEWS

[Professor Farnsworth] GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!! I talked to Samsung and they said it is the triaxal hizelberg compensator causing the problem... mmm.. yes....[/Professor Farsworth]

Did that make any sense? No? Good, because thats pretty much what Samsung told me. [Shatner]Here... is a ...reneactmentofthecall... to Samsung at...815pm [Shatner]

Samsung Customer Service (SCS): Have connected the player to the Internet.
Admiral Joker (AJ): Yes
SCS: Did you update the firmware.
AJ: No. There is one out?
SCS: Yes there is.

AJ: I have the latest firmware already.
SCS: Let look and see if I can find the firmware.

SCS: There is no firmware yet, but they are aware of the issue and are working on it.
AJ: They are aware of the issue and working on it? What is the issue they are working on?
SCS: Not a lot of details, sir.
AJ: What are the details?
SCS: They are working on it?
AJ: Working on what?
SCS: The issue.
AJ: What is the issue?
SCS: The one you reported.
AJ: What does it say though.
SCS: They are working on a new firmware for about a month. Check back at the end of the month, and they should have one.
AJ: This month: May?
*3 days left in May mind you, also my birthday is May 31. YAY FOR ME!!!*

SCS: Yes. We have top men working on it now.
AJ: Who?
SCS: Top... men.

*Now I see "THE ISSUE" being put into a big wooden box, and put in a giant warehouse.*

*END CALL*

So, lets review:

A) Samsung is aware of "THE ISSUE", although what the issue is remains a mystery. *Snaps fingers* Now I get it. They love being cryptic. That explains the manual, website, and customer service reps. They all must be done by the SAME PERSON!!! Where is Oliver Stone when you need him... *sigh*

B) There is a new firmware update on the horizon that should fix "THE ISSUE".

So, at least they are aware of something. May not be the audio drop outs, but SOMETHING. Now, I must go for now I am the one with ISSUES!!! (Note: I just love that word... ISSUE!!!)

Admiral Joker's Mad Blog
Where the INMAE runs the ASYLUM!!!
post #225 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

AdmiralJoker, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the above post about SSCS. I hope you videotaped it it should be put on youtube. I think many of us have had similar CS experiences. It is said that these people often read from a book or do not listen. They have no clue about what you are talking about. I have put these CS people on the spot many times and I have a few even disconnect me on purpose. The best place to
find information is on the fourm. Everyone with issues should also call CS and ask for a case number. The reason to put things on record is that if you have the issue in the future and your warranty runs out you can claim that they never fixed the issue. I also believe that with a case number they must refer the problem up the ladder. I am still wondering if the drop out issues with this player are being caused by the disks themselves. I will do more testing myself.
post #226 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did find that the unit was getting warm (not hot) after playing a full disk with decent air flow. I am trying a laptop cooler using the USB port for power to see if there is any
reduction in heat. Again, there is no fan in this unit.

Same here. I hooked mine up for the first time last night and decided to move it to access the rear of the unit and was surprised to find that the metal bottom of the player was hot to the touch, not just warm but hot. I noticed that there are really no feet on the base or any provision for airflow under the player. I will probably place some rubber spacers underneath it at the four corners just to allow more airflow.

Regarding performance of the player, I only have one movie so far (5th Element) and it never looked better to me. The resume play function worked like a champ. Stopped the player while still running and hit play, it went right back to where I was. I then stopped the player and powered it down for a few minutes. Powered back up and hit play and it picked right back up where I left it. This is a really nice change from my Toshiba HD-A2 which always started the disc over whether you just stopped it or turned it off completely. I could not really evaluate the audio much because it was kind of late before I got started so I couldn't crank it up. I did confirm getting True HD on my Onkyo 705 receiver after setting the player to Bitstream Audiophile mode. Loading time was much quicker than what I was used to with my HD-A2 player. The only real problem I had and this was really not a problem but more of an inconvenience, my projector did not want to pick up the signal from the 1500 because it comes set to 1080p and TV in the video settings. Although my CRT projector is fully capable of displaying 1080p I prefer 1080i on it and when I realized that it was going to have to do a signal entry for 1080p that I knew I would not use, I simply unplugged the player and connected it to another TV. I then went into the menus and set the video to 1080i and "Monitor" which is the setting you need if you are using a projector. I then moved the player back to the rack and my projector immediately locked onto the 1080i signal. The main menu screen was crisp and clean and all remote functions worked very well. I hope to get a better idea of the audio tonight.
post #227 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

dropzone, I have placed an Antec laptop cooler under the 1500 and that really helps. I am getting power for the cooler from the USB port. They often sell these coolers for under $20. Watch for a sale it is a good tweak. Adding spacers seem like another good
suggestion.
post #228 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

dropzone, I have placed an Antec laptop cooler under the 1500 and that really helps. I am getting power for the cooler from the USB port. They often sell these coolers for under $20. Watch for a sale it is a good tweak. Adding spacers seem like another good
suggestion.

Cool, I will start looking for one of those right away.
post #229 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

for those ones could not access monitor? where you able to finally access it? Mine still grayed out. Can you guys help me out. I don't know why but mine does'nt get warm or hot after watching full movie maybe because I have atleast 6 inch room above the unit and good open area also on the side. So the heat or warm is not an issue for me. I will continue to check it so far I only watched 1 movie at a time got to leave some times with my 2 yr old and 6 months old kids. I watched 3:10 to Yuma last night and the audio was awesome.

But I like the idea of the usb fan. Thanks folks. Anf for this you just plug it in with the usb port and nothing else to do?

Peter
post #230 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 AM

What advantage does setting it to "Monitor" have? Conceptually, I understand the difference between a TV and a monitor, but is there really some kind of benefit when "Monitor" is selected? Thanks.
post #231 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmac1 View Post

What advantage does setting it to "Monitor" have? Conceptually, I understand the difference between a TV and a monitor, but is there really some kind of benefit when "Monitor" is selected? Thanks.

a few pages back one owner said that I am not missing that much from tv or monitor, he states that in monitor it just make it a litter darker, But still would like to find out how to get access with this darn monitor mode. I just can't accept why in my unit is grayed out and some are not. I am sure there is way to unlock this thing I am just trying to get some help, Mine is connected with a projector not to tv. Not that it matters but still would like to find out the difference myself.

Peter
post #232 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now, before I done my Cubs' baseball cap, jump rope, and windbreaker (too poor to afford a fedora, leather jacket, and bull whip), like to address a previous post.

HDCP would explain some of the issues that are HDMI related, however HDCP does not affect non-HDMI sources (ie. optical connections). Since people are having issues with the optical output and HDMI output, I doubt HDCP would be the culprit this time around, but I would not rule out it since there maybe multiple issues related to audio.

IN OTHER NEWS

[Professor Farnsworth] GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!! I talked to Samsung and they said it is the triaxal hizelberg compensator causing the problem... mmm.. yes....[/Professor Farsworth]

Did that make any sense? No? Good, because thats pretty much what Samsung told me. [Shatner]Here... is a ...reneactmentofthecall... to Samsung at...815pm [Shatner]

Samsung Customer Service (SCS): Have connected the player to the Internet.
Admiral Joker (AJ): Yes
SCS: Did you update the firmware.
AJ: No. There is one out?
SCS: Yes there is.

AJ: I have the latest firmware already.
SCS: Let look and see if I can find the firmware.

SCS: There is no firmware yet, but they are aware of the issue and are working on it.
AJ: They are aware of the issue and working on it? What is the issue they are working on?
SCS: Not a lot of details, sir.
AJ: What are the details?
SCS: They are working on it?
AJ: Working on what?
SCS: The issue.
AJ: What is the issue?
SCS: The one you reported.
AJ: What does it say though.
SCS: They are working on a new firmware for about a month. Check back at the end of the month, and they should have one.
AJ: This month: May?
*3 days left in May mind you, also my birthday is May 31. YAY FOR ME!!!*

SCS: Yes. We have top men working on it now.
AJ: Who?
SCS: Top... men.

*Now I see "THE ISSUE" being put into a big wooden box, and put in a giant warehouse.*

*END CALL*

So, lets review:

A) Samsung is aware of "THE ISSUE", although what the issue is remains a mystery. *Snaps fingers* Now I get it. They love being cryptic. That explains the manual, website, and customer service reps. They all must be done by the SAME PERSON!!! Where is Oliver Stone when you need him... *sigh*

B) There is a new firmware update on the horizon that should fix "THE ISSUE".

So, at least they are aware of something. May not be the audio drop outs, but SOMETHING. Now, I must go for now I am the one with ISSUES!!! (Note: I just love that word... ISSUE!!!)

Have any owners here decided to return the 1500 for another 1500 and/or different player?

Tony B
post #233 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I plan on returning mine for a Panasonic BD-50. The replacement won't happen immediately, because my BB 30 days policy will probably run out before the Panny is available. I can live without one for a couple of weeks.
post #234 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Have any owners here decided to return the 1500 for another 1500 and/or different player?

I sold my Panasonic BD-30 for the Samsung 1500 and couldnt be happier. Much less playback problems so far compared to the BD-30.
post #235 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon has the Antec coolers in stock at a price a little higher than usual. They do offer free shipping. If any of you call Samsung or any other company be sure to be very specific about the issue reported and get a case number. This will help protect you.
post #236 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I sold my Panasonic BD-30 for the Samsung 1500 and couldnt be happier. Much less playback problems so far compared to the BD-30.

Me too. I prefer the samsung 1500, set aside:

Andrew P.

I am having a hard time if I should exchanged my 1500 into another 1500 mine now is making a noise almost whisper when you listen close enough to the unit it sounds like a motor trying to pick up a disc I already reported this to this thread and apparently some have experienced this too. But my dilemma
is that is very minor to me and some suggested that it could be the heat causing this but mine does not get really warm or hot after viewing a full movie. I am thinking of just get another one and if ever that the 2nd one is not making noise like I describe I will keep it and return the one I have now. You think that would be a good idea? Thanks

Peter
post #237 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

Me too. I prefer the samsung 1500, set aside:

Andrew P.

I am having a hard time if I should exchanged my 1500 into another 1500 mine now is making a noise almost whisper when you listen close enough to the unit it sounds like a motor trying to pick up a disc I already reported this to this thread and apparently some have experienced this too. But my dilemma
is that is very minor to me and some suggested that it could be the heat causing this but mine does not get really warm or hot after viewing a full movie. I am thinking of just get another one and if ever that the 2nd one is not making noise like I describe I will keep it and return the one I have now. You think that would be a good idea? Thanks

My projector makes much more noise than this player although I havent heard anything coming from the disk tray. I would first try to locate a floor model in the store to see if you can replicate the problem. If not purchase a new one if you are that concerned!

Good luck!
post #238 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I know you mentioned these issues before, but could you repeat them? I don't get the sense the guys on the BD-30 owners thread have any issues with the unit given the new firmware fixes. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll be hooking my blu ray player via HDMI and letting Denon 2808 decode bitstreamed HD codecs, etc. I'm down to the BD-30, the 1500 and maybe the Philips 7200.

Tony B
post #239 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

I know you mentioned these issues before, but could you repeat them? I don't get the sense the guys on the BD-30 owners thread have any issues with the unit given the new firmware fixes. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll be hooking my blu ray player via HDMI and letting Denon 2808 decode bitstreamed HD codecs, etc. I'm down to the BD-30, the 1500 and maybe the Philips 7200.

Bd-30 has 2 problems:
1. Dolby True HD random dropouts. Major problem even with the newest 1.8 firmware. Only impacts certain units, but this appears to be much worse of a problem than the 1500 with maybe 3 discs (Ratatouille, NT2, and Rambo). I had no problems with NT2.
2. Had a LFE problem until firmware 1.6. Major problem that was finally fixed and impacted most discs.
3. Slower disc access. Minor, but still annoying compared to the 1500

There is no perfect player, but between the BD-30 and the 1500 I think the 1500 is clearly superior. Panasonic does have a stellar reputation with firmware updates while Samsung leaves much to be desired in that regard.
post #240 of 5645 Old 05-29-2008, 03:23 PM

It was mentioned earlier but I wanted to emphasize that the audio drop-outs are not HDMI-specific. My audio is hooked up via Optical and I had more than a dozen drop-outs (maybe 0.5 seconds or less each) on Ratatouille. I haven't checked much for repeatability but I'm going to get a cooler of some kind and also open up some space in my rack to see if heat could be a factor. If I cool it down and still get (repeatable) drop-outs, I'll know there's a problem either with the player's firmware or the disc.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page