Denon DVD-1800BD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 211 Old 10-12-2008, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, is the 1800 better than the 2500 transport?
I have a 3808ci AVR and want to choose a BD player.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 211 Old 10-12-2008, 09:08 PM

^^ The 1800 lower cost, faster and better featured, but the 2500 has an RS232 if you need to control it.

-Robert
post #93 of 211 Old 10-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is anyone aware of any detailed reviews of this player yet? I'm very curious to know whether or not its price is supported by its features/quality.

BTW, I'm seeing this generally available for $699, rather than its SRP of $749.

Brad
post #94 of 211 Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 AM

Brad, I have one set-up in our main demo room feeding a new Samsung 950 LED and Denon's new BD player works flawlessly, fast and reliable. I have not tried any of the pq settings as the Samsung calibrated beautifully with the default settings.

Denon's new BD player is well built and looks very nice with other Denon devices. I can't discuss price, but you are correct this player can be found at discount prices, check with your favorite dealer for the best offer .

-Robert
post #95 of 211 Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Manual and tear sheet are on line now.

This unit would appear to be way overpriced for what you get, especially with Sony's price drop on the S350 and S550. I don't think Denon will be selling many of these at $749 unless you just think you have to have a Denon.

Manual: http://usa.denon.com/DVD-1800BD_OM-E_001.pdf

Product sheet: http://usa.denon.com/DVD-1800BD_Lit924.pdf

I'm confused. The manual lists speaker settings, like distance and large/small. This unit only has two channel analog outs, correct (as opposed to multi-channel)? Do these settings apply to internal decoding via HDMI?

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #96 of 211 Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

I'm confused. The manual lists speaker settings, like distance and large/small. This unit only has two channel analog outs, correct (as opposed to multi-channel)? Do these settings apply to internal decoding via HDMI?

If you are decoding internally, and then sending out the resulting PCM over the HDMI connection, then the settings do apply. If you're bitstreaming to a receiver/processor for decoding, then they would not.

Brad
post #97 of 211 Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

If you are decoding internally, and then sending out the resulting PCM over the HDMI connection, then the settings do apply. If you're bitstreaming to a receiver/processor for decoding, then they would not.

Thanx!...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #98 of 211 Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I just got a DVD-1800 to use with a 60-inch plasma in the family room. We already own a DVD-3800 which is deployed in our dedicated theater. I am pleasantly suprised at the performance and build quality of the 1800. The drawer is smooth and quiet. It seems like it boots up a little quicker than the 3800, though I haven't timed it as yet. It appears to output all the major HD audio formats except DTS MA (it does do DTS-HD). I haven't experimented with 7.1, but the manual says it will do it. I'll follow up with more feedback after I've had more time with it.

I just got one of these, and I like it a lot. What do you mean that it wil output DTS-HD, but not DTS MA? What's the difference? I've search all over the DTS web site, and can't find any information about that. Which format is on Blu-ray discs? Both? My copy of "Pan's Labyrinth" says it has DTS-HD Master Audio. Do some discs have a different DTS-HD soundtrack? I'm confused.
post #99 of 211 Old 10-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plitwack View Post

I just got one of these, and I like it a lot. What do you mean that it wil output DTS-HD, but not DTS MA? What's the difference? I've search all over the DTS web site, and can't find any information about that. Which format is on Blu-ray discs? Both? My copy of "Pan's Labyrinth" says it has DTS-HD Master Audio. Do some discs have a different DTS-HD soundtrack? I'm confused.

I think he means DTS-High Resolution only.

Weird, I thought this player was supposed to output all formats

EDIT:

After looking at the manual, DTS-HD means DTS HD-MA. This player should be giving you the full monty!
post #100 of 211 Old 10-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Just picked one of these up today from BB, they had them on a cart with all of their new deliveries and where not out on the shelf yet. Initial impression is that out of the 10 bluray players I have had, this confirms that they are all pretty much the same pq wise. At this point I am looking for the one that has the best features/aesthetics. The Denon falls in the middle of the road between the ultra expensive 2k players and the mid prices $300 to $500 units. In terms of value, it would be a great player at $499 to $599 which is where it will be in a few months. It is an attractive and reasonably solid unit, seems to fire up fast and the navigation is reasonable. If this was a little less expensive, it would be a keeper for sure. I have a Panasonic 55 on the way and I will see how it looks in my rack, the Denon is kind of what I was looking for as far as blending in with my gear but if the Panasonic isn't a total lightweight, maybe I will go that way.
post #101 of 211 Old 10-17-2008, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

I stopped into my BB Magnolia store yesterday hoping to see one of these, but they didn't have any of the Denon players in stock. Was interested to learn, though, about their discounted price on the 2500 ($599), which puts it in the same ballpark as the new smaller unit.

Brad
post #102 of 211 Old 10-17-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

I stopped into my BB Magnolia store yesterday hoping to see one of these, but they didn't have any of the Denon players in stock. Was interested to learn, though, about their discounted price on the 2500 ($599), which puts it in the same ballpark as the new smaller unit.

It does and seems like a good deal, the only thing for me was that it didn't have component output. Also, I believe the 1800 is a little faster and more refined.
post #103 of 211 Old 10-17-2008, 06:59 AM

I see Denon lowered the MSRP on the 2500 to $899, but $599 seems like a screamin' deal...
post #104 of 211 Old 10-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
did any of you guys have problems of any sort with the 1800, i have been looking towards purchasing this unit. I own a Denon 1930CI upconvert dvd player, would the 1800 compare to it in upconversion?
post #105 of 211 Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 AM

Is dvd-1800bd led red on standby and green when power is on?
Same led colours as the denon receivers?

How much air space is required above the avr-1909?
I wanted to place the dvd-1800bd on top of avr-1909 but I read that there has to be a lot of free air space to avoid overheating problems.

If I can not place it on top, I am thinking of putting the dvd-1900bd under avr-1909, good idea?

Also looked at dvd-2500bt, but is higher, only 1 inch air space left above the receiver if I place dvd-2500bt under receiver.

Anyone know which is better in upscaling dvd, the dvd-1800 or dvd-2500?
post #106 of 211 Old 10-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Just searched on this and found a pretty good deal on it from Beach Audio. Not sure if they're an authorized reseller, but it's nice to see the price starting to come down a bit on this one.

Brad
post #107 of 211 Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 PM

How does this compare to the pioneer 05fd? What chip does it use for upconverting DVD and how well does it work

Seems to have been out for alittle bit and no buzz or reviews or for that matter people owning it.

Denon makes solid products so intrested why its been slient around here
post #108 of 211 Old 10-30-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog3 View Post

How does this compare to the pioneer 05fd? What chip does it use for upconverting DVD and how well does it work

Seems to have been out for alittle bit and no buzz or reviews or for that matter people owning it.

Denon makes solid products so intrested its been slient around here

The reason is because most of us enthusiast know the player is just another Funai (Insignia/Magnabox/Memorex) re-bag with different front DACs. Given this the $700 asking price is way to much IMHO.

By the way the chip it uses is Panasonic's P4HD System On a Chip (SOC).
post #109 of 211 Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 PM

^^ I must tell you this player has an excellent transport system. The mechanical operation of the tray and drive is silent, smooth and very fast. The electronics are reliable and this player operates fast and bullet proof.

-Robert
post #110 of 211 Old 10-30-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

^^ I must tell you this player has an excellent transport system. The mechanical operation of the tray and drive is silent, smooth and very fast. The electronics are reliable and this player operates fast and bullet proof.

-Robert

Hi Robert

How would you compare the upconversion on standard dvd and what about speed turnon to disk and load times to the 05fd which is pretty slow

Thanks
post #111 of 211 Old 10-30-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-Robert

Could you remove the cover and post some pictures of the internals?

If is proved that this player is more than a re-bag it could potential help ease the perception of this player. I might even buy one because I love Denon and Onkyo products.
post #112 of 211 Old 10-30-2008, 03:02 PM

We're way overbooked with custom install jobs till the middle of next week, but I'm happy to pop the top and take/post some photos of the inside. I'll also do some tests of start and load times and the upconversion pq and post my findings.

-Robert
post #113 of 211 Old 10-30-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We're way overbooked with custom install jobs till the middle of next week, but I'm happy to pop the top and take/post some photos of the inside. I'll also do some tests of start and load times and the upconversion pq and post my findings.

-Robert

Thanks Robert.
post #114 of 211 Old 10-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-Robert

That would be much appreciated. Hard to find info on this player so far.

Brad
post #115 of 211 Old 10-30-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:

-Robert

Thanks Robert !!

Anyone know if it does source direct ?
post #116 of 211 Old 11-03-2008, 01:21 PM

i would like to see if someone will review this player, im o the edge of buying either 1800 or 2500 to match it with 2808ci
post #117 of 211 Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR View Post

EDIT:

After looking at the manual, DTS-HD means DTS HD-MA. This player should be giving you the full monty!

According to the manual, when the player is decoding (set to HDMI Multi (LPCM)), you only get core stream (i.e. DD or DTS) decoding, not TureHD or DTS-HD HR/MA....

Read the footnotes...

The spec sheet says it supports all formats, but then goes on to say, under the audio section, it bitstreams them.

And it doesn't have the right logos for Dolby or DTS (it only has a regular legacy DD and DTS logo...)

I suspect the manual is right.
post #118 of 211 Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plitwack View Post

The original DTS Surround codec is a lossy 5.1 codec that has a maximum fixed bitrate of 1.5 mbps.

The newer DTS High Definition codec has two subsets to it.

Both versions contain a backwards compatible DTS Surround 5.1 core with a max bitrate up to 1.5mbps.

The two new formats add extension to this core stream to achieve the following:

DTS-HD High Resolution (DTS-HD HR) expands, among other things, up to a maximum constnat bitrate of 6.0 mbps... it is still a lossy codec.

DTS-HD Master Audio (DTS-HD MA) is a lossless codec that when decoded exactly matches what was put into the encoder. It is a variable bitrate codec, that can achieve a maximum variable bitrate of 24.5 mbps.

There are a very few DTS-HD HR discs on BR... most all titles are of the DTS-HD MA variety.
post #119 of 211 Old 11-12-2008, 02:22 PM

Hi Robert

Did you get a chance to take the photos and test load times?

Thanks again for your time
post #120 of 211 Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog3 View Post

hi robert

did you get a chance to take the photos and test load times?

Thanks again for your time

+1
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page