Wal-Mart throws in $100 gift card with Blu-ray player purchase - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasR View Post

After calling 10 Walmarts in my area, I finally found one with the 1500 in stock. I bought it yesterday because they only had one available. Will return it today and repurchase for GC. It was also $348.....subtract the GC and you have a $248 blu ray player. I can't believe I paid $550 for my first DVD player back in 1999.

Will they let you use the gift card on the player?
Droid6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:27 AM
gja
Member
 
gja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gja View Post

Everyone might want to check out the asterisk on the GC offer online. Looks like it says online only. I called local Wally World to ask if it would be available at the store, clerk tried to scan in and was denied.

The online ad says nothing on the front page, but if you go to the electronics page, you will see the asterisk. I'm going to call again tomorrow morning to see if anything changes.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmcrawford View Post

gja, look at my post a couple up. you have to look at the ad that starts tomorrow and look at the insert page, it's clearly there and is not the electronic gc.

Sorry for doubting you mtmcrawford. I went this morning and asked them about the GC. The clerk knew nothing about it. Went ahead and bought the last 1500 they had and low and behold there was the GC in all its glory.

I'll give an update later today, once she's in the system.
gja is offline  
post #93 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Member
 
kenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My local Wal-Mart had both the Samsung -1500 and the Panny -BD30 (which I picked up to replace my BD10). Getting the GC was a bit of a hassle as it didn't initially ring up and the manager didn't have a copy of today's flyer. Had to persuade him to use the Power Of The Internet to view it on Wal-Mart's own web site.
kenzo is offline  
post #94 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tweakophyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 3,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gja View Post

Sorry for doubting you mtmcrawford. I went this morning and asked them about the GC. The clerk knew nothing about it. Went ahead and bought the last 1500 they had and low and behold there was the GC in all its glory.

I'll give an update later today, once she's in the system.

How does it ring up on the reciept? Does it show the player for $248 and a gift card for $100?

Thanks,
Tweakophyte is offline  
post #95 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

How does it ring up on the reciept? Does it show the player for $248 and a gift card for $100?

Thanks,

The 1500 is $348 or $388 and then you get the gift card seperate and you can't use it on the player. The Magnavox is $298.
Droid6 is offline  
post #96 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Erik Garci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Durham, NC, USA
Posts: 4,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

How does it ring up on the reciept? Does it show the player for $248 and a gift card for $100?

The receipt shows 3 items: the player at full price, the gift card at $100, and the -$100 promo credit.

By the way, the gift card won't appear on the register if they just do a price check. They have to ring it up as an actual sale.
Erik Garci is offline  
post #97 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 9,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163
It wasn't pretty but did I manage to return my Samsung 1500 and repurchase it for $348 with the $100 gift card. I brought in the empty box and at first they accused me of trying to return an empty box and also stated the Blu-ray player in the ad was more expensive, etc.

Then the supervisor said they only price match for seven days so I couldn't get a price adjustment and I couldn't return and repurchase it as I would have to buy another player (their policy as well).

Since they didn't have another player in stock I asked to talk with someone a little higher up the chain and he eventually (or perhaps his manager?) agreed to the exchange with gift card as long as I knew what their policy was.
Charles R is offline  
post #98 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thats the main reason I have decided not to try and get the new PS3 (With $100 GC)package from Wally World always a hassle.Got the pre order from Amazon that saved me $50 right there and would probably cost me the other $50 to drive between the 3 Wally Worlds in town.Its kind of like management tells their employees if you can give the customer enough of a hassle they will either take your word and buy any way or you will be so frustrated you will walk out.Of course thats with all companys any more.
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #99 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got a mag from my local wally world. Not a big hassle as the cashier could access the flyer.
Why mag? Because that was the only one available, no samsungs.
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #100 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I had no hassel getting the $100 gift card from my local Walmart for the 1500 that I purchased two weeks ago. They were very nice about it. They don't have any more 1500's but they have about 6 BD30's and about 10 Mag units. The Mag at $290 with the $100 card is a great buy. It uses the Panasonic chipset and seems well made. A good deal for the final price of $199 for a stand alone player.
rwestley is online now  
post #101 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
sparky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: reno,nv.
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Picked up 1500 at the store on Pyramid. They had several $348.

mark
sparky7 is offline  
post #102 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Member
 
mtmcrawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gja View Post

Sorry for doubting you mtmcrawford. I went this morning and asked them about the GC. The clerk knew nothing about it. Went ahead and bought the last 1500 they had and low and behold there was the GC in all its glory.

I'll give an update later today, once she's in the system.

No problem, just glad you were able to get it. Please post as soon as you test it as I can't go get mine until later this evening. My daughter has all star softball practice and I coach so that would be hard to get out of, but I'll go grab a sammy 1500 w/ gc later today.
mtmcrawford is offline  
post #103 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eddy_winds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some one's jumped the gun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRlHa...s&newsid=28312

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.


GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
eddy_winds is offline  
post #104 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 AM
gja
Member
 
gja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmcrawford View Post

No problem, just glad you were able to get it. Please post as soon as you test it as I can't go get mine until later this evening. My daughter has all star softball practice and I coach so that would be hard to get out of, but I'll go grab a sammy 1500 w/ gc later today.

Watched the first movie (POTC) and the picture was good but not what I had expected. Note that I have a Mits HC4900 front projector that plays 1080P/60. Picture was good but didn't POP like I saw at BB the other day. Had a problem getting sound at first until I got my 3806 aligned. Sound was really good. Effects were great.

Watched SDDVD Hairspray (no laughing, my daughter wanted to watch it) and upconversion was stellar. Very happy with the picture and again the sound was great.

Will try another Bluray movie later and see if it was just Pirates or if it's the player or settings that didn't shine. My gut tells me it's my settings. Will check back in later.
gja is offline  
post #105 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Member
 
mtmcrawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gja View Post

Watched the first movie (POTC) and the picture was good but not what I had expected. Note that I have a Mits HC4900 front projector that plays 1080P/60. Picture was good but didn't POP like I saw at BB the other day. Had a problem getting sound at first until I got my 3806 aligned. Sound was really good. Effects were great.

Watched SDDVD Hairspray (no laughing, my daughter wanted to watch it) and upconversion was stellar. Very happy with the picture and again the sound was great.

Will try another Bluray movie later and see if it was just Pirates or if it's the player or settings that didn't shine. My gut tells me it's my settings. Will check back in later.

POTC if I am correct is uncompressed pcm, try a bd that is true hd or hd master if you are using the analog outs with your 3806. I too was forced to watch Hairspray with my wife and daughter so I feel the pain with no laughing. Luckily my 4308 will decode so I am excited about watching pans labyrinth with hd master tonight.
mtmcrawford is offline  
post #106 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
wabkab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmcrawford View Post

POTC if I am correct is uncompressed pcm, try a bd that is true hd or hd master if you are using the analog outs with your 3806. I too was forced to watch Hairspray with my wife and daughter so I feel the pain with no laughing. Luckily my 4308 will decode so I am excited about watching pans labyrinth with hd master tonight.

You guys are lucky to have found a 1500. I gotta convince my family that today is the day, but my wife is a "present on father's day kinda a girl". I doubt there will be much left to choose from by then--maybe the Magnavox or Panasonic,if I'm lucky. The pisser is, we may just go to WM today for a grocery run. Wish me luck.

Tony B
wabkab is offline  
post #107 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Member
 
mtmcrawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

You guys are lucky to have found a 1500. I gotta convince my family that today is the day, but my wife is a "present on father's day kinda a girl". I doubt there will be much left to choose from by then--maybe the Magnavox or Panasonic,if I'm lucky. The pisser is, we may just go to WM today for a grocery run. Wish me luck.

Boy sometimes they stick the knife in AND twist.
mtmcrawford is offline  
post #108 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
vamovie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys
3 questions
whats the difference between 40gb ps3 and 80gb ps3 other than harddrive
does bestbuy match the walmart deal $399.99 w/GC
how about magnavox bluray player does this have ethernet port/comes with giftcard
vamovie is offline  
post #109 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
wabkab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamovie View Post

hey guys
3 questions
whats the difference between 40gb ps3 and 80gb ps3 other than harddrive
does bestbuy match the walmart deal $399.99 w/GC
how about magnavox bluray player does this have ethernet port/comes with giftcard

80g SACD playback, 80% backward compatability with PS2games and maybe(some have/some haven't) but WM should have them too. on the GC

no ethernet port on the Magnavox

Tony B
wabkab is offline  
post #110 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Member
 
Raymond23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamovie View Post

hey guys
3 questions
whats the difference between 40gb ps3 and 80gb ps3 other than harddrive
does bestbuy match the walmart deal $399.99 w/GC
how about magnavox bluray player does this have ethernet port/comes with giftcard

I assume you are refering to the bundle coming out this week. The 80GB has a bigger drive, can play PS2 games (the 40GB can't). The bundle also come with a rumble joystick and a game.
Raymond23 is offline  
post #111 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
vamovie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does the ps3 40gb have fan noise problem
does besybuy match the deal
anybody tried or knew
vamovie is offline  
post #112 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
vamovie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond23 View Post

I assume you are refering to the bundle coming out this week. The 80GB has a bigger drive, can play PS2 games (the 40GB can't). The bundle also come with a rumble joystick and a game.

thanks raymond
vamovie is offline  
post #113 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Backlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My Walmart has the Panny 1500 in stock but says that it is not on sale. They want $448 for it. Is there any way to verify $348 as the advertised price?

Edit: I checked the online flyer and it says the unit is $448. What's up with the reduced price purchases?

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
Backlash is online now  
post #114 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
vamovie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamovie View Post

does the ps3 40gb have fan noise problem
does besybuy match the deal
anybody tried or knew


please help
vamovie is offline  
post #115 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Lkr
AVS Special Member
 
Lkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

You guys are lucky to have found a 1500. I gotta convince my family that today is the day, but my wife is a "present on father's day kinda a girl". I doubt there will be much left to choose from by then--maybe the Magnavox or Panasonic,if I'm lucky. The pisser is, we may just go to WM today for a grocery run. Wish me luck.

I gotta wait a month till I can use my PS3. At least its only a week for you!
Lkr is offline  
post #116 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 9,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post

My Walmart has the Panny 1500 in stock but says that it is not on sale.

There isn't a Panny 1500.
Charles R is offline  
post #117 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Backlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, accepting that I have the manufacturer (Samsung, I know) wrong but not the model number why is the price $448 and people are buying it for $348?

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
Backlash is online now  
post #118 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
When I was in Wally World 3 or 4 days ago they had the Samsung 1500 listed for 348.99(That was before the sale started on the 8th which added the stand alone players to the GC offer) if they have raised the price to 448.99 how unethical but then again we are talking Corporate America.But if I remember right the Panasonic was listed at 448.99
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #119 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rutlian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got back from BB and showed the ads of WM with 100 GC for any bluray, Showed them my receipt of sammy 1500 that I bought with BB 3 weeks ago they gave me the giftcard with no questions ask, This is the Bestbuy in Renton WA they are really nice.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
rutlian is offline  
post #120 of 229 Old 06-08-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rutlian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

When I was in Wally World 3 or 4 days ago they had the Samsung 1500 listed for 348.99(That was before the sale started on the 8th which added the stand alone players to the GC offer) if they have raised the price to 448.99 how unethical but then again we are talking Corporate America.

I was in WM I am sure this is a mistake because they have bd30 for 448.99 not the sammy 1500.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
rutlian is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off