AVS Forum banner

Wal-Mart throws in $100 gift card with Blu-ray player purchase

22K views 228 replies 96 participants last post by  mahicks 
#1 ·
#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se /forum/post/14017190

Somebody did this with a PS3??

They have the deal going on right now on their website for the PS3 and I saw an ad for it in stores for the 40GB model. I think the ad said it expired at the end of this week, but if they include the PS3 in the Blu-ray player deal next week, then it will be the same as now. I advised a friend to pick up a 40GB this week in case he can't get the 80GB PS3 with the deal next week. He could leave the 40GB unopened until he figures out whether he can get the 80GB with the giftcard and then just return it if he snags the 80GB bundle.

--Darin

#13 ·
So, which is the best Blu-Ray player to buy at Wal-Mart? I know better capabilities will be coming in the next year or so, but which ones do the best job of upconverting, and which will be able to take advantage of the capabilities in Disney's forthcoming Internet-interactive Blu-Ray of Sleeping Beauty? I'm ready to pop $200 ($298 - $100) on a Blu-Ray player, but if it's best to wait 6 months to get much more for the money, I can wait. Does one also get a coupon for some free Blu-Ray discs?

What profile, etc. (1.1, 2.0?), should one look for? (My TV is DVI, not HDMI, but I have a converter cord).

We may get a new/bigger TV this fall/January, esp. with the new built-in cable box standards that arrive this fall or so, plus HDMI/3D-capable viewing and better contrast than our 5-year-old Sony GW II, so I don't want to spring on a Blu-Ray player that I'll want to replace in 6 months. Maybe a new Mits Laser, if the picture and price are acceptable.

#16 ·
Our Best Buy claims that they will match Wal-Mart pricing (a new Super Wal-Mart just opened up a block away in November). I wonder if they'll match the price + $100 BB gift card?
I'd rather have the Wal-Mart gift card, though - BB would only be for the extended warranty, if I want one.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss /forum/post/14018883

Our Best Buy claims that they will match Wal-Mart pricing (a new Super Wal-Mart just opened up a block away in November). I wonder if they'll match the price + $100 BB gift card?
I'd rather have the Wal-Mart gift card, though - BB would only be for the extended warranty, if I want one.

Best Buy sent around a corporate e-mail to its store managers instructing them to match the Walmart deal (still leaving some discretion to the store manager), but in practice, it has apparently turned out to be hit or miss, based on how big a prick a store manager wishes to be. I actually might try to match this deal at BB at lunchtime for the 40gb PS3.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey r /forum/post/14019204

Best Buy sent around a corporate e-mail to its store managers instructing them to match the Walmart deal (still leaving some discretion to the store manager), but in practice, it has apparently turned out to be hit or miss, based on how big a prick a store manager wishes to be. I actually might try to match this deal at BB at lunchtime for the 40gb PS3.

One thing to consider is that Walmart has a 90 day return policy vs 30 for BB.

Another is that I don't like BB.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/14017724

They have the deal going on right now on their website for the PS3 and I saw an ad for it in stores for the 40GB model. I think the ad said it expired at the end of this week, but if they include the PS3 in the Blu-ray player deal next week, then it will be the same as now. I advised a friend to pick up a 40GB this week in case he can't get the 80GB PS3 with the deal next week. He could leave the 40GB unopened until he figures out whether he can get the 80GB with the giftcard and then just return it if he snags the 80GB bundle.

--Darin

Thats a good idea Darin.

As a PS3 newbee...

Whats the advantage of a 80 vs. 40? The 80 can play most PS2 games? Anything else besides 40 more gb's?

Are there no 80gb available right now?

Thanks

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus /forum/post/14021818

Whats the advantage of a 80 vs. 40? ... Anything else besides 40 more gb's?

Good question, I'd like to know too. If it's just the increase in GBs, I'd rather plug in an external hard drive.

Speaking of external hard drives... can they simply be plugged in to work (plug & play) or does something else need to be done?

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/14020805

One thing to consider is that Walmart has a 90 day return policy vs 30 for BB.

Another is that I don't like BB.

I hear you--what BB has going for it for me is that I have a couple of stores near work and a couple near home. I have no Walmarts nearby. Also, I have a $100 gift card from them for my HD-A2 purchase from them (yeah, they sent me the wrong amount
). But I still can't decide if I want the 40gb or 80gb. Or the Metal Gear Solid bundle assuming I could even get one. As an aside, I have heard that BB does not charge a restocking fee for PS3's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.