Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1694 Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I used RCA cables, would it decode using a lossless surround format, then send out the signal via RCA to the receiver (which then goes to 5 power amps)?

And do you think there is even a chance of it sounding better using a lossless format through cheap cables instead of using a 640kbps lossy format through optical? I understand that yes it would "technically" sound better, but you have to also think that the lower grade cables would be suceptible to interference from the massive ammount of power coming in nearby, and if it would be able to properly handle the lows and highs through such a cheap cable, especially the lows...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1694 Old 02-23-2009, 02:08 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENiGmA1987 View Post

If I used RCA cables, would it decode using a lossless surround format, then send out the signal via RCA to the receiver (and the amps)?

And do you think there is even a chance of it sounding better using a lossless format through cheap cables instead of using a 640kbps lossy format through optical? I understand that yes it would "technically" sound better, but you have to also think that the lower grade cables would be suceptible to interference from the massive ammount of power coming in nearby, and if it would be able to properly handle the lows and highs through such a cheap cable, especially the lows...

Yes and yes.

Honestly, a ~2' run (I'm assuming your components won't be very far apart) at line level shouldn't leave much room for interference even over simple RG59 cables, and it certainly won't cost that much to try (e.g. $3+shipping from Monoprice).
post #303 of 1694 Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Finally got my Sony BDP-550 Blue Ray Player. Hooked it up to Sony KF-50WE610 TV via hdmi to dvi cable and ran digital coax from blue ray player to STR-DG720 receiver. Unfortunately, there was no picture. Really frustrating. The manual for the TV states that it is HDCP compliant, but that must be an error. The DVI port works fine - had a Dennon DVD player hooked up previously with DVI to DVI cord and had great picture. So, hooked the blue ray up via component and get beautiful picture. Sound is lacking. Without HDMI, my understanding in the only way to get full 7.1 is with multi-channel hookup - unfortunately the Sony STR-DG720 receiver does not have this hookup. Really disappointed. Although the sound is better than my previous hookup, I am sure I am missing the really great sound that an hdmi hooked up blue ray player would provide. Guesss I will have to wait a few years until I can afford a new televison. By then all my stuff will be obsolete.
post #304 of 1694 Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subic Squid View Post

Finally got my Sony BDP-550 Blue Ray Player. Hooked it up to Sony KF-50WE610 TV via hdmi to dvi cable and ran digital coax from blue ray player to STR-DG720 receiver. Unfortunately, there was no picture. Really frustrating. The manual for the TV states that it is HDCP compliant, but that must be an error. The DVI port works fine - had a Dennon DVD player hooked up previously with DVI to DVI cord and had great picture. So, hooked the blue ray up via component and get beautiful picture. Sound is lacking. Without HDMI, my understanding in the only way to get full 7.1 is with multi-channel hookup - unfortunately the Sony STR-DG720 receiver does not have this hookup. Really disappointed. Although the sound is better than my previous hookup, I am sure I am missing the really great sound that an hdmi hooked up blue ray player would provide. Guesss I will have to wait a few years until I can afford a new televison. By then all my stuff will be obsolete.

But your receiver *does* have HDMI and surround PCM! Try Blu-Ray -(HDMI)> AVR -> TV. At the very least you'll get lossless sound.
post #305 of 1694 Old 02-23-2009, 03:18 PM

I'm a little lost here. I can connect the BR player to the AVR via HDMI. The video from the AVR to the TV is currently component from the "Monitor video Out". The BR player is component video direct to TV. Audio is digital coax from BR to AVR DVD digital coax in. There is no audio out for the HDMI, just one HDMI out for the whole thing. Since the HDMI to DVI wire does not work from the AVR to the TV either, are you saying that I can run HDMI from BR player to AVR BR HDMI input? Will the video then travel to the TV via the component and I will get the sound from the HDMI? Sorry to be so confused.
post #306 of 1694 Old 02-23-2009, 04:37 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm a little lost here. I can connect the BR player to the AVR via HDMI. The video from the AVR to the TV is currently component from the "Monitor video Out". The BR player is component video direct to TV. Audio is digital coax from BR to AVR DVD digital coax in. There is no audio out for the HDMI, just one HDMI out for the whole thing. Since the HDMI to DVI wire does not work from the AVR to the TV either, are you saying that I can run HDMI from BR player to AVR BR HDMI input? Will the video then travel to the TV via the component and I will get the sound from the HDMI? Sorry to be so confused.

HDMI is both audio and video. So your Blu-Ray->AVR HDMI will carry both audio and video signals. However, most receivers will not "downconvert" signals from the HDMI input into a non-HDMI output (the reverse is common, however). So you'll also have to connect the Blu-Ray to your AVR with component cables. Then, your AVR->TV component connection will carry video from whatever source.

Like this
Blu-Ray-(HDMI *and* component video)->AVR-(component video)->TV

Your S550 manual will tell you how to set the machine up to get this working properly. (Edit: also try the official owners' thread.)
post #307 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:

I have the DG720 and a Panny 35 I have my 35 going to the HDMI in for BD on the 720 reciever and the HDMI out from the reciever to the Sony Bravia TV(TV speaker OFF). I only use the 5.1 hookup on the 720 outs but it will support 7.1 if you have the speakers connected correctly.
post #308 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM

I will try the hookup shown by S44 this weekend. My problem is having a TV that has no HDMI input and a DVI input that won't work with a HDMI to DVI cable. Just had Sears out and guts of TV replaced under warranty and picture is beautiful, just like new. Now I cant even remotely justify buying a new TV. Was hoping they would say it was not repairable, but oh well.
post #309 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Looking at your receiver, you may have to connect the Blu-Ray as "DVD" -- there's no component input for "Blu-Ray". Anyway, you can always fall back to connecting the component cables directly to the TV... As long as you have HDMI from the Blu-Ray to the receiver, you'll get the best audio.

Have you considered whether it might be the HDMI-DVI cable that's malfunctioning? You could try connecting to a HDCP-enabled DVI computer monitor as a test.
post #310 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM

My plan was to hook it up to the "DVD" input because as you said, there is no BRD component hookup. I will also plug the BRD HDMI into the DVD HDMI slot. That way the sound should sync up with the video (I hope). I imagine that despite the labels on the HDMI inputs (SAT) (DVD) (BRD) (VIDEO 1), there is no difference in how they work, just need to match inputs/outputs. I have tried two separate HDMI/DVI cables - one really outragoeusly expensive Monster cable and one cheaper one. No luck with either. I think Sony falsely labled the DVI port as HDCP compatible in their manual. They do say in the manual for the 720 AVR that an HDMI/DVI connection might not work. The BDR-550 manual says to use an HDMI/DVI cable. Hard to understand all this junk. A complete HDMI system is sure the best way to go.
post #311 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 02:05 PM

The question is what the Bluetooth capabilities of the PS3 80GB are. I would like to wirelessly connect a headset (stereo, or cellphone) so that I can hear sound at a higher volume than my wife can tolerate through the speakers. That means, both systems (Bluetooth and TV speakers) must be working at the same time. Is that doable? Any tricks in setting it up?

Thanks for the help

Back out from under the (TV) rock.
post #312 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM

I have a Sony 550 blu-ray player connected to a Pioneer vsx-816k receiver over 5.1 analog connections. My questions are in regards to the mcacc settings on the receiver vs. the levels/distance settings on the blu-ray player. I have read where you must set up the levels/distance on the blu-ray player because any mcacc settings will be ignored. But, I also see in the vsx-816 manual that "during playback from the multichannel inputs, you can't use any of the sound features/modes and only the volume and channel levels can be set." My question is, obviously i set all the levels/distance/size, etc. using mcacc on the receiver, so should I try and match these settings on the blu-ray *(or would this in essence be doubling the level changes)or should I keep the blu-ray settings at -0.0 and their defaults and handle all the levels on the receiver?
post #313 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moped View Post

The question is what the Bluetooth capabilities of the PS3 80GB are. I would like to wirelessly connect a headset (stereo, or cellphone) so that I can hear sound at a higher volume than my wife can tolerate through the speakers. That means, both systems (Bluetooth and TV speakers) must be working at the same time. Is that doable? Any tricks in setting it up?

Thanks for the help

No, this isn't going to work, at least not for blu-ray audio.
post #314 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekbud View Post

I have a Sony 550 blu-ray player connected to a Pioneer vsx-816k receiver over 5.1 analog connections. My questions are in regards to the mcacc settings on the receiver vs. the levels/distance settings on the blu-ray player. I have read where you must set up the levels/distance on the blu-ray player because any mcacc settings will be ignored. But, I also see in the vsx-816 manual that "during playback from the multichannel inputs, you can't use any of the sound features/modes and only the volume and channel levels can be set." My question is, obviously i set all the levels/distance/size, etc. using mcacc on the receiver, so should I try and match these settings on the blu-ray *(or would this in essence be doubling the level changes)or should I keep the blu-ray settings at -0.0 and their defaults and handle all the levels on the receiver?

You don't want level/distance settings being done in any other than one place, so either do it in the AVR or do it in the BD player, but don't try to do it in both places, as it will do what you describe and result in levels/delay, etc, being out of whack.
post #315 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

How would I listen to a Blu Ray machine through an analog 2-channel stereo rig? A 2-channel Joilida integrated amp with analog inputs.
post #316 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM

So I have a Sony 550 BR player hooked up to my 111fd via hdmi. I've hooked up the Br player to my Yamaha RX-V550 via optical cable. Apparently to get HD sound I need to hook up the Sony to the receiver via multichannel connections. Since my receiver has no hdmi inputs and only 5.1 multichannel inputs, I assume that I would hook up the Sony to Yamaha by front-front, surround-surround, subwoofer-subwoofer, center-center. That would leave the surround back outputs on the Sony unused. Also has anyone just used an optical connection with the Sony550? How's the sound? I know it won't be HD sound but it will be Dolby Digital and that sounded pretty good with the regular dvd player.
post #317 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I have read where you must set up the levels/distance on the blu-ray player because any mcacc settings will be ignored. But, I also see in the vsx-816 manual that "during playback from the multichannel inputs, you can't use any of the sound features/modes and only the volume and channel levels can be set." My question is, obviously i set all the levels/distance/size, etc. using mcacc on the receiver, so should I try and match these settings on the blu-ray *(or would this in essence be doubling the level changes)or should I keep the blu-ray settings at -0.0 and their defaults and handle all the levels on the receiver?

I believe your AVR manual is saying the MCACC settings will not be applied to the analog inputs. You need to set speaker sizes and distances in the player.
post #318 of 1694 Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklim55 View Post

So I have a Sony 550 BR player hooked up to my 111fd via hdmi. I've hooked up the Br player to my Yamaha RX-V550 via optical cable. Apparently to get HD sound I need to hook up the Sony to the receiver via multichannel connections. Since my receiver has no hdmi inputs and only 5.1 multichannel inputs, I assume that I would hook up the Sony to Yamaha by front-front, surround-surround, subwoofer-subwoofer, center-center. That would leave the surround back outputs on the Sony unused. Also has anyone just used an optical connection with the Sony550? How's the sound? I know it won't be HD sound but it will be Dolby Digital and that sounded pretty good with the regular dvd player.

Digital sound via optical, etc, is good, but HD is better. You don't need more than 5.1 connected from the BD to the AVR since 99% of discs only have 5.1 channel information. Discs that do have 7.1 tracks will still sound fine with 5.1.
post #319 of 1694 Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

I believe your AVR manual is saying the MCACC settings will not be applied to the analog inputs. You need to set speaker sizes and distances in the player.

So one person says not to set the levels/speaker sizes in both locations, and the other says that I need to set the levels/speaker sizes in both - does anyone know for sure?? I'm still confused... Thanks to everyone for their help!!
post #320 of 1694 Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

So one person says not to set the levels/speaker sizes in both locations, and the other says that I need to set the levels/speaker sizes in both - does anyone know for sure?? I'm still confused... Thanks to everyone for their help!!

If your receiver does re-digitize the multichannel analog input so that it can apply processing to the signal, then use the receiver's settings and bypass those on the player. The receiver undoubtedly has more detailed and flexible settings than the player. Do not use both.

If your receiver does not redigitize, then it cannot process the signal, so you must use the player's settings. The settings in the receiver will still be applied to your digital signal sources as usual, of course.

BIslander is reporting that in your case, the latter situation applies.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #321 of 1694 Old 02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bass management, distance/time adjustments, and other such functions must be done when the audio is digital.

In the normal course of events, players send digital audio to receivers and that's where all of the processing is done prior to the digital-analog conversion.

But, when doing analog out of the player, bass management and such must be done in the player, while the audio is still digital. The receiver's settings will not be used because the audio is already analog by the time it gets to the receiver.

You normally don't have to worry about "double dipping" on bass management and digital processing because players won't apply their speaker settings for digital outputs and receivers won't apply their speaker settings to analog inputs. Both devices know when to process the audio. The one exception to that rule is the one that rdclark mentioned. If you have the rare receiver that can re-digitize the analog inputs, then you need to choose which device to use for processing. The AVR is almost always the right choice in those cases. But, this does not apply to you because your receiver does not re-digitize analog sources.

You need to do bass management and distance adjustments in your player for analog sources. Your receiver's speaker settings will only be used for digital sources.
post #322 of 1694 Old 02-25-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Bass management, distance/time adjustments, and other such functions must be done when the audio is digital.

In the normal course of events, players send digital audio to receivers and that's where all of the processing is done prior to the digital-analog conversion.

But, when doing analog out of the player, bass management and such must be done in the player, while the audio is still digital. The receiver's settings will not be used because the audio is already analog by the time it gets to the receiver.

You normally don't have to worry about "double dipping" on bass management and digital processing because players won't apply their speaker settings for digital outputs and receivers won't apply their speaker settings to analog inputs. Both devices know when to process the audio. The one exception to that rule is the one that rdclark mentioned. If you have the rare receiver that can re-digitize the analog inputs, then you need to choose which device to use for processing. The AVR is almost always the right choice in those cases. But, this does not apply to you because your receiver does not re-digitize analog sources.

You need to do bass management and distance adjustments in your player for analog sources. Your receiver's speaker settings will only be used for digital sources.

That's great thank you - one more question though. As far as "bass management" for the 550, how do I crank up the db to compensate for the -10db that I keep reading about from within the blu-ray player? I can't find anything on how to increase the lfe on my avr. Thanks again! Again, it's a pioneer vsx-816 case that helps.
post #323 of 1694 Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 PM

I have a question regarding the audio settings on my Insignia NS-2BRDVD.

The player's automatic audio setting is PCM. I notice however when I play any discs with this setting my receiver only decodes it as two channel stereo sound. I have an "older' Panasonic receiver that only outputs Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. When I switch to Bitstream HD or Bitstream Legacy it seems to decode the signal using all my available speakers. Why is this? Because of this, I assume I should set the player to one of the bitstram settings. Is one better then the other? I also notice there is another option, Bitstream Mixed. Which one should I use to get the best sound possible?

Thanks for any help.
post #324 of 1694 Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrash83 View Post

I have a question regarding the audio settings on my Insignia NS-2BRDVD.

The player's automatic audio setting is PCM. I notice however when I play any discs with this setting my receiver only decodes it as two channel stereo sound. I have an "older' Panasonic receiver that only outputs Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. When I switch to Bitstream HD or Bitstream Legacy it seems to decode the signal using all my available speakers. Why is this? Because of this, I assume I should set the player to one of the bitstram settings. Is one better then the other? I also notice there is another option, Bitstream Mixed. Which one should I use to get the best sound possible?

I'm not familiar with that particular player. But, the names of the audio modes seem fairly straightforward. Also, I am going to assume you are using an optical or coax connection, not HDMI, to your older receiver.

With PCM, optical/coax only support two channels. So, you will definitely want to use a bitstream setting to get multichannel. Bitstream HD and Bitstream Legacy are probably the same for you. Optical/coax don't support the new HD codecs. But, most players will send the legacy codec instead. So, either is likely fine. Bitstream Mixed is most likely the setting for adding secondary audio (menu clicks and audio for PIP commentary). Assuming you are using an optical or coax connection, I think Bitstream Mixed is the best choice. It will give you the best audio your connection supports and will mix in secondary audio. If you are using HDMI, the optimal setting will be different.
post #325 of 1694 Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's great thank you - one more question though. As far as "bass management" for the 550, how do I crank up the db to compensate for the -10db that I keep reading about from within the blu-ray player? I can't find anything on how to increase the lfe on my avr. Thanks again! Again, it's a pioneer vsx-816 case that helps.

A quick scan of the manual did not reveal a setting for the SW boost or even a way to set different output levels for analog and digital. I'd suggest you turn up the volume on the sub itself until you get the right bass output for analog. That will probably give you too much bass on digital sources. So, you will need to go to your receiver setup and lower the sub there. That will work, provided that lowering the sub output in the receiver for digital doesn't also lower it for analog. It's unclear to me from reading the manual whether your receiver channel trims are applied to the analog inputs. You may want to post an inquiry in the Amps & Receivers forum.
post #326 of 1694 Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I'm not familiar with that particular player. But, the names of the audio modes seem fairly straightforward. Also, I am going to assume you are using an optical or coax connection, not HDMI, to your older receiver.

With PCM, optical/coax only support two channels. So, you will definitely want to use a bitstream setting to get multichannel. Bitstream HD and Bitstream Legacy are probably the same for you. Optical/coax don't support the new HD codecs. But, most players will send the legacy codec instead. So, either is likely fine. Bitstream Mixed is most likely the setting for adding secondary audio (menu clicks and audio for PIP commentary). Assuming you are using an optical or coax connection, I think Bitstream Mixed is the best choice. It will give you the best audio your connection supports and will mix in secondary audio. If you are using HDMI, the optimal setting will be different.

Thank you. Yes, I am using HDMI for the video but only optical for the audio.

I appreciate the reply but out of curiosity, what setting would work the best with an HDMI audio connection? I'm assuming PCM...

Thanks again!
post #327 of 1694 Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM

Title: Minimal 3.1 Config, Blu-Ray -> Amp (no preamp/receiver)

Objective: A simple way for non-technical people -- parents -- to play Blu-Ray disks without having to use a receiver, which would involve them selecting the wrong input on the wrong remote and so on.

Connect the Blu-Ray player's analog surround out directly to a multi-channel amp's left, center, and right inputs, using the player's remote to control volume. Video could be sent from the HDMI directly to the screen. Sub out would go directly to the sub.

Is this possible? I don't see the point in buying a player with expensive 24bit audio circuitry only to pass the signal on to a receiver full of inputs that'll never be used. This would also require one less remote.
post #328 of 1694 Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrash83 View Post

Thank you. Yes, I am using HDMI for the video but only optical for the audio.

I appreciate the reply but out of curiosity, what setting would work the best with an HDMI audio connection? I'm assuming PCM...

Again, not being familiar with that particular player, Bitstream HD would likely be best when connected to a receiver with TrueHD and dts-MA decoders. PCM might also be fine, although many players decode a lossy track instead of the lossless one when they need to mix in secondary audio.
post #329 of 1694 Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:

many players decode a lossy track instead of the lossless one when they need to mix in secondary audio.

I've wondered about that...is it a matter of economics?
post #330 of 1694 Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70runner View Post

I've wondered about that...is it a matter of economics?

Yes, I believe so. I recall a post quoting Panasonic engineering that said they can't decode lossless and mix secondary audio in a player at the lower price points. I think that is more the case with dts-MA than TrueHD.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page