Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1693 Old 03-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My players says in the audio setup to chose Bitsream RE- encode if you have a receiver that doesnt have hdmi but has optical. The other option for digital sound is Bitstream Audophie if you have a hdmi 1.3 receiver. My receiver is optical connection will It hurt if I use use the bitstream Audophie option. The downfall of the option for optical is audio quality is lower. The player i have is the samsung BD P 1600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1693 Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 PM

My MC12-HD does not have onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA and Lexicon are not looking to supply it via FW update in the forseeable future.
So where does that leave me?
Having to sell my Pioneer LX70A and update again i guess.Time for an LX91 with its twin HDMI outs,but from the previous few posts it sounds like a single HDMI has enough room for all Audio and Video signals.
post #363 of 1693 Old 03-07-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Isn't this actually about the difference between the player and the receiver, not analog and HDMI?

With analog, all processing (bass management, EQ, and such) and the digital-analog conversion happen in the player. With HDMI, they happen in the prepro/receiver. Most prepros and receivers have better processing tools and DACs than most players. But, a Denon 3800BDCI might very well produce a better output than many receivers.

Ah,why is my picture considerably better when i bypass my MC12 HD preamp and go HDMI direct to my PJ?
The source LX70A BD player is only a 'mid range' model and i thought the PQ should in theory be way better after it is processed by the far superior Lexicon.
post #364 of 1693 Old 03-07-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi7.1 View Post

Ah,why is my picture considerably better when i bypass my MC12 HD preamp and go HDMI direct to my PJ?
The source LX70A BD player is only a 'mid range' model and i thought the PQ should in theory be way better after it is processed by the far superior Lexicon.

That post was about audio. When it comes to 1080p source video, I don't know what your Lex would do to improve it.
post #365 of 1693 Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 PM

Anyone hear use Bitstream Audophie in their audio setup thats using a optical connection. mannual say this recommened if you have a hdmi for audio. But seems to work for me fine with a optical connection.
post #366 of 1693 Old 03-14-2009, 04:38 PM

I cannot get Dolby True HD audio. I did the firmware update and since then, it must have changed my settings, just get Dolby D. My brother originally set it up, but he does not remember what he did. I have the Oknyo S7100 system with the TR S606 receiver. I have everything connected through HDMI, of course. I have the following audio settings

output - hdmi
audio - auto
bd audio setting - direct
audio att - off
dolby digital - dolby digital
dts - dts
48/96 - 48/16
audio drc- auto.

Any have any suggestions?
post #367 of 1693 Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Audio should not be auto since that will bitstream the HDMI audio for the HD codecs and, apparently, your AVR cannot decode that. Set it for PCM and try it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #368 of 1693 Old 03-15-2009, 09:16 AM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaking View Post

48/96 - 48/16

Wait, you're intentionally downsampling? Why?
post #369 of 1693 Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Audio should not be auto since that will bitstream the HDMI audio for the HD codecs and, apparently, your AVR cannot decode that. Set it for PCM and try it.

The Onkyo 606 decodes everything. When set to Direct, the S550 will output whatever the AVR is capable of handling - bitstream to AVRs with the needed decoders, or PCM to those without. Also, unlike most players, the S550 doesn't have a PCM setting for the HDMI output.

The posted settings look right. When the Output Priority is set to HDMI, BD Audio is set to Direct, and HDMI is set to Auto, the player should bitstream HD codecs to a receiver capable of decoding them.
post #370 of 1693 Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I currently have the following setup. Epson w6 720p projectors, Pioneer VSX-516 receiver. I'm looking to upgrade to blu ray. I've been looking at the samsung 1500 for the price and the netflix ability. The ps3 seems to be a good deal though as its a game system too.

I'm a little mixed up on the audio section though as my current receiver has an opitcal, and a coax input but does not support the hd audio and has no Hdmi. I do plan to upgrade in the future to one that has an hdmi input however.

Given my current setup and my upcoming upgrade on the receiver what would be the smart route here? Can i decode the hd audio on the samsung or the ps3 and send it via the optical or do i need a receiver with hdmi? Is it worth going blu ray when I have a 720p projector?

Thanks a lot.
post #371 of 1693 Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraslor View Post

I currently have the following setup. Epson w6 720p projectors, Pioneer VSX-516 receiver. I'm looking to upgrade to blu ray. I've been looking at the samsung 1500 for the price and the netflix ability. The ps3 seems to be a good deal though as its a game system too.

I'm a little mixed up on the audio section though as my current receiver has an opitcal, and a coax input but does not support the hd audio and has no Hdmi. I do plan to upgrade in the future to one that has an hdmi input however.

Given my current setup and my upcoming upgrade on the receiver what would be the smart route here? Can i decode the hd audio on the samsung or the ps3 and send it via the optical or do i need a receiver with hdmi? Is it worth going blu ray when I have a 720p projector?

Thanks a lot.

You can't do the hd audio with optical. Does your receiver have a multi-channel analog inputs? If so, you can get a player that decodes internally and has analog outputs. If you do upgrade the receiver you can temporarily run optical and get the higher bitrate DD and I believe DTS until then.
post #372 of 1693 Old 03-19-2009, 02:54 PM

When I put in a BluRay disk the 5.1 lights on the Elite AV receiver light up and I hear the previews/commericals that preceed the movie in 5.1. So far so good. When the movie starts no sound and no lights. I talked to Magnolia Home theatre and they dont get it. I spent an hour w/ LG tech support (nice but useless).
I know I can go to menu and mess around with SPDIF and choose pass thru or DTS etc, but the bottom line is

When the disk goes in it works, when the movie starts it does not work. This seems to be more common on Netflix movies.... Help
post #373 of 1693 Old 03-19-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Well, it is tough to help you without lots more info. Apparently, you are using S/PDIF and that limits some of the options. So, list what settings you have as default and which tracks are you selecting.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #374 of 1693 Old 03-20-2009, 12:55 PM

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD55 player and a Arcam AVR350 receiver. When connecting the Panasonic to the Arcam and the Arcam to my plasma TV via HDMI connections I am getting a picture but no sound. I also tried connecting Panasonic to Tv via HDMI and Panasonic to Arcam via 5.1 channels and the same thing happens. I have read the manuals several times but cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I thought I had all the settings correct but apparently i'm missing something. I am getting sound through the coaxial connection. Can someone help out with this so that I can start enjoying HD sound.
post #375 of 1693 Old 03-21-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean hatari View Post

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD55 player and a Arcam AVR350 receiver. When connecting the Panasonic to the Arcam and the Arcam to my plasma TV via HDMI connections I am getting a picture but no sound. I also tried connecting Panasonic to Tv via HDMI and Panasonic to Arcam via 5.1 channels and the same thing happens. I have read the manuals several times but cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I thought I had all the settings correct but apparently i'm missing something. I am getting sound through the coaxial connection. Can someone help out with this so that I can start enjoying HD sound.

There isn't much that you need to do on the BD55 side, especially with analog. With HDMI, set HDMI Audio Output to ON, which is the default. There's no setting required with analog, those outputs are always active. So, I suspect the problem is on the Arcam side of your setup.
post #376 of 1693 Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 AM

Liked: 11
I posted a similar question (below) in the Receiver forum, but I am now thinking it may have more to do with my Blu-Ray settings and/or connections:

I have a Yamaha RX-V461 Receiver and Def Tech Pro 1000 speakers - center, left, right and sub, but no rear surrounds.

Sound is fine with HD Cablebox using digital coax from cable box to receiver and using the "Straight" setting on the receiver.

But, when watching movies on DVD (Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S300), the dialog is often muffled and hard to hear clearly. The DVD player is connected to the receiver with an optical digital cable. I usually set the sound field to Movie Dramatic, and the Receiver automatically switches to "Virtual Cinema DSP" since I don't have rear surrounds. I have tried changing the mode to Straight, but that does not seem to help much.

To the extent a movie's menu allows for other audio options, I usually select Dolby Digital and assume that the receiver will decode it in a manner which will work best for my 3.1 setup. Is that a mistake? Should I choose some other audio option? Is there a setting I should change in the Blu-Ray player's audio menu?

I used the receiver's auto setup for the speakers and they seem balanced.

So - any suggestions on how to improve the clarity of the dialog through my center channel and what are generally the best connections and settings on the DVD player and receiver for a 3.1 speaker setup with these components?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
post #377 of 1693 Old 03-24-2009, 02:06 PM

I have quantum of solace on blu-ray and the audio will not downconvert to standard DTS 5.1. all of my other blu-rays play correctly. My reciever is very old and only does Dolby 5.1, and DTS 5.1, and pro logic II. how do i fix this problem
post #378 of 1693 Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

What player, audio settings, and physical connection? What happens when you play the dts-MA track on that disc?
post #379 of 1693 Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 AM

Im using the Panasonic BD35, with HDMI to TV and Optical from TV to the reciever. My reciever does not have HDMI inputs. But it can do DTS 5.1.

When i play the dts MA track it goes to PCM 48 and not actual 5.1

This is the first Blu-ray i owned with DTS MA, all of my other ones are Dolby True HD and they all work fine

My reciever is a sony STR-K840P
post #380 of 1693 Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastwarrior View Post

Im using the Panasonic BD35, with HDMI to TV and Optical from TV to the reciever. My reciever does not have HDMI inputs. But it can do DTS 5.1.

When i play the dts MA track it goes to PCM 48 and actual 5.1

This is the first Blu-ray i owned with DTS MA, all of my other ones are Dolby True HD and they all work fine

That doesn't sound correct. You are connected through the TV to your receiver, not directly from the player to the receiver? TVs are two channel devices and with nearly all TVs connected the way you describe, the audio is fed from the player to the TV as stereo PCM. That's what gets output to your receiver. When you play a TrueHD track, are you saying you get DD 5.1 on your receiver? If so, what TV are you using and what does the TV manual say about how it handles the optical output?
post #381 of 1693 Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM

the tv is a 42LG50 LCD, and yes i can get DD 5.1 but DTS MA will not downgrade to DTS 5.1 like my Blu ray player says it should

My manual does not say anything about optical output
post #382 of 1693 Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastwarrior View Post

the tv is a 42LG50 LCD, and yes i can get DD 5.1 but DTS MA will not downgrade to DTS 5.1 like my Blu ray player says it should

My manual does not say anything about optical output

As I mentioned, very few TVs pass encoded audio (DD or DTS) from external components out their digital ports. TVs usually only have digital outputs so that they can feed out DD 5.1 audio from over the air broadcasts or direct cable feeds - for people who do not use a set top box for TV reception. From your description, your set will output encoded Dolby sources, but not DTS sources. (DTS encoding is not used on television broadcasts.)

The bottom line here: you should run optical or coax audio directly from your player to your receiver instead of routing it through the TV. I bet if you try that, dts-MA encoded discs will show up as regular DTS.
post #383 of 1693 Old 03-25-2009, 12:53 PM

Thanks that worked just plugging the player into the reciever. What would you recommend to split the optical on the reciever since there is only one input?
post #384 of 1693 Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have more devices than inputs, get a switch. Monoprice is a good place to start.
post #385 of 1693 Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Don't you have a coax input too? Use that.
post #386 of 1693 Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 PM

Is there anyway to get the lossless audio from a blu ray, music concert, to a 2 channel amplifier. Will this require a seperate d/a converter any suggestions. Also if this is not possible what is the highest level of audio i can pull off of a Blu Ray and play through my 2 channel audio system. I am only concerned with dvd concerts.
post #387 of 1693 Old 03-28-2009, 01:52 PM

I have an old Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver, currently hooked up to a standard DVD player over coaxial digital. I'm thinking about upgrading to blu-ray but I don't want to upgrade my AV reciever just yet.

The Onkyo does NOT support HDMI.

Seems like I should be ok as long as I get a player that handles decoding and supports at least 5.1 analog out.

My receiver supports optical/coaxial for digital inputs as well as 5.1 analog.
Should I hook up the analog for blu-ray titles and keep a digital connection for standard DVDs?

How will the Blu-Ray sound be over analog 5.1? Comparable to Dolby EX / DTS standard DVDs that I play?

Thanks-
post #388 of 1693 Old 03-28-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckBoston View Post

I have an old Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver, currently hooked up to a standard DVD player over coaxial digital. I'm thinking about upgrading to blu-ray but I don't want to upgrade my AV reciever just yet.

The Onkyo does NOT support HDMI.

Seems like I should be ok as long as I get a player that handles decoding and supports at least 5.1 analog out.

Should I hook up the analog for blu-ray titles and keep a digital connection for standard DVDs?

How will the Blu-Ray sound be over analog 5.1? Comparable to Dolby EX / DTS standard DVDs that I play?

Thanks-

You don't need both 5.1 and digital connections from the BD player to your Onkyo. The 5.1 outputs will give you full 5.1 sound for both BD and regular DVD as the player would be decoding all audio formats.

Sound quality will be generally just as good as if you had an HDMI connection between a BD player and comparable AVR.
post #389 of 1693 Old 03-28-2009, 03:25 PM

I have a Sony PlayStation connected to a Harmon kardon AVR via Toslink Optical. My PlayStation is set up to output bitstream. I understand that using this configuration does not allow me receive a lossless Dolby True HD or DTS-MA signal. That said, is there any advantage to setting a Blu-Ray disk to Dolby True HD instead of Dolby Digital 5.1? For example the Dark Night Blu-Ray allows me to choose between these two formats in the setup menu. Both formats seem to work. I understand that neither will be lossless, but is one better than the other? What is my AVR actually doing to the Dolby True HD bitstream?
post #390 of 1693 Old 03-28-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckBoston View Post

There's no single or simple answer to these questions. It all depends on your equipment and your room and your personal preferences.

jmpage2 is certainly correct that you can use analog for all outputs from your player. But, if you would benefit from more flexible bass management crossovers or EQ or better DACs in your receiver, then you might want to go that route for your DVDs. That would definitely be the case if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 system since digital processing in your AVR could be used to matrix sound for your rear speakers.

I set up my player with analog for lossless and coax for DVDs. But, I must admit I don't hear any difference.

As for your last question, audio on BD should sound better than DVD whether or not you listen to lossless. DD 5.1 and DTS are less compressed on BD than DVD. I hear considerable improvement with both analog and coax connections.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page