Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1693 Old 05-22-2009, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problem solved thanks to BIslander.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1693 Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewgs View Post

Nope, that doesn't seem to be the issue. My TV is only outputting to my receiver via composite.

You aren't using HDMI to feed video from your receiver to your TV?
post #453 of 1693 Old 05-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Problem solved thanks to BIslander.
post #454 of 1693 Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only options I see for HDMI audio for my TV are analog, digital, and auto. It's set to auto, and it's always been that way.

Assuming you are using HDMI from AVR to TV for video (it's unclear to me from your posts), I'm suggesting you make sure the audio portion from AVR to TV is off.

Most Sony receivers have a setting for AMP or AMP +TV. You want to try AMP. Or, simply unplug the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV, turn on the player and receiver, and see whether you are now getting bitstream audio instead of stereo PCM.

The symtom you describe points to an HDMI handshake issue. Usually it's the TV (a two channel device) that's to blame.
post #455 of 1693 Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 PM

Thank you very much BIslander! Appreciate it.
post #456 of 1693 Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much BIslander! Appreciate it.

Glad to help. (No need to remove your other posts.)
post #457 of 1693 Old 05-25-2009, 10:05 AM

I plan to purchase a Blu-ray player with multi-channel analog outputs (Samsung BD-P3600) and connect it to my non-HDMI receiver (Yamaha RX-V750) in order to get lossluess sound. My receiver has 7.1 analog inputs, but I only have a 5.1 speaker set-up, so should I connect all 8 of the inputs and outputs or just 6?

Thanks much.
post #458 of 1693 Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangc View Post

I plan to purchase a Blu-ray player with multi-channel analog outputs (Samsung BD-P3600) and connect it to my non-HDMI receiver (Yamaha RX-V750) in order to get lossluess sound. My receiver has 7.1 analog inputs, but I only have a 5.1 speaker set-up, so should I connect all 8 of the inputs and outputs or just 6?

Just do the six and configure the player for 5.1. It will downmix any 7.1 discs to 5.1 prior to doing the digital-analog conversion.
post #459 of 1693 Old 05-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Just do the six and configure the player for 5.1. It will downmix any 7.1 discs to 5.1 prior to doing the digital-analog conversion.

Thanks very much, BIslander. Out of curiosity, would the BR player do the same thing if all 8 cables were connected, but the player was configured for 5.1?
post #460 of 1693 Old 05-25-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks very much, BIslander. Out of curiosity, would the BR player do the same thing if all 8 cables were connected, but the player was configured for 5.1?

Yes. The cable connections don't matter. It's the configuration settings that determine how many channels get output.
post #461 of 1693 Old 05-25-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes. The cable connections don't matter. It's the configuration settings that determine how many channels get output.

Thanks again. I was planning to use the six cables I've been running from the analog output of my Pioneer DV-45A (for DVD-A and SACD) so this will save me from buying another pair of cables.

I was going to next ask which outputs I should not connect to, but I looked this up online in the BD-P3600 manual:

"When connecting to a 5.1 channel home theater or receiver, connect all the Analog Audio output jacks from the player except for the Surround Back Left/Surround Back Right outputs"
post #462 of 1693 Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 PM

If I am using 5.1 multichannel analog cables with my 2550 samsung BR should the audio out be set to PCM or audiophile bitstream.
Is there downconversion with one or the other.
The PCM sounds better to me and it is hard for me to say that analog 5.1 is better than optical digital 6.1.
Thanks for any response
post #463 of 1693 Old 05-26-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiles View Post

If I am using 5.1 multichannel analog cables with my 2550 samsung BR should the audio out be set to PCM or audiophile bitstream.
Is there downconversion with one or the other.
The PCM sounds better to me and it is hard for me to say that analog 5.1 is better than optical digital 6.1.
Thanks for any response

Actually if you are using the on board analog outputs it should not matter a lick whether you set to bitstream or PCM as all of the decoding is being done onboard and the audio streaming settings shouldn't apply.
post #464 of 1693 Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM

I'm considering getting a Samsung BD-P3600 and connecting it to my non-HDMI Yamaha RX-V750 receiver via the multi-channel analog output, but after reading through all of the posts in this and other threads addressing LFE, I am still not sure if I will be able to correct the LFE problem in my set-up.

My receiver cannot boost the LFE for the multi-channel analog input so if I were to raise the volume level on my sub (a Boston PV500) and then lower the subwoofer level on my receiver so that it's not too high for other sources, would that take care of it?

I had been using a PS3 (with the optical output) as my Blu-ray player and have been dying to get lossless audio. And now that my PS3 just died, I was about to pull the trigger on a BD-P3600, but the LFE issue is giving me pause.
post #465 of 1693 Old 05-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjanderson View Post

.. I also know that if I select a DD TrueHD track from the Blu-ray disc, the player will extract the core DD 5.1 compressed track and output that via COAX to my receiver and once again, I'm fine with that...

My Marantz SR7000 receiver decodes standard DD/dts only.
I read about these players outputting the "core" 5.1 signal via the coax/optical.
Yet I'm only getting 2 channel coming into the receiver via coax.

The player (Sony 550) does do analog out which in theory solves my dilemma, however I want to try and compare the difference in sound quality between core and lossless to determine if I want to bother with the 550 or step down to something less expensive.
Am I asking my system to do something it's not capable of, or do I have a setting wrong on the Sony?
post #466 of 1693 Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rang View Post

My Marantz SR7000 receiver decodes standard DD/dts only.
I read about these players outputting the "core" 5.1 signal via the coax/optical.
Yet I'm only getting 2 channel coming into the receiver via coax.

The player (Sony 550) does do analog out which in theory solves my dilemma, however I want to try and compare the difference in sound quality between core and lossless to determine if I want to bother with the 550 or step down to something less expensive.
Am I asking my system to do something it's not capable of, or do I have a setting wrong on the Sony?

If your Marantz can decode regular DD and DTS then you should set the optical/coaxial digital output on the player to bitstream to send those formats out to the Marantz for decoding.

I don't really understand the logic though. You have an S550 which doesn't have the greatest resale but is still a very competent player. What exactly are you going to "step down" to?
post #467 of 1693 Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm considering getting a Samsung BD-P3600 and connecting it to my non-HDMI Yamaha RX-V750 receiver via the multi-channel analog output, but after reading through all of the posts in this and other threads addressing LFE, I am still not sure if I will be able to correct the LFE problem in my set-up.

My receiver cannot boost the LFE for the multi-channel analog input so if I were to raise the volume level on my sub (a Boston PV500) and then lower the subwoofer level on my receiver so that it's not too high for other sources, would that take care of it?

I had been using a PS3 (with the optical output) as my Blu-ray player and have been dying to get lossless audio. And now that my PS3 just died, I was about to pull the trigger on a BD-P3600, but the LFE issue is giving me pause.

Why does this entire question hinge on the BDPS3600? Is there some irreplaceable feature on the 3600 that would prevent you from getting a player that does, in fact, do LFE correction for the analog outputs (like the Oppo 83)?
post #468 of 1693 Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am new to Blu Ray players and have a basic question on older movies w/o DTS-HD or True HD formats.

When running a Pioneer 51 into the Onkyo 886 by HDMI only.

Take a move like Hellboy I. There are 2 5.1 options. 5.1 Lossless PCM and 5.1. When I choose Lossless PCM, the Onkyo displays Multi Channel on the display. When I choose 5.1, it displays Dolby Digital.

Which one should I be using? Pros/Cons on each?

Thanks !!!!!

Onkyo SC 886
B K 200.5
Klipsh Forte Mains
Klipsh Center
ADS Surrounds
XS30
post #469 of 1693 Old 05-31-2009, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I don't really understand the logic though. You have an S550 which doesn't have the greatest resale but is still a very competent player. What exactly are you going to "step down" to?

I should have explained further.

The 550 is $299CDN new. I'm within the 30 Best Buy return period.

I can also get the Samsung 1500, which does not have 7.1 analog outs but will re-encode the sound into basic dts, for $99CDN brand new (the player is legitimate...not "hot"). I'd be sacrificing Dolby True HD and dts MA because it does not have the analog outs. But maybe for $200 cheaper I'll be happy with regular dts.

I'm pretty sure I have the player set to bitstream and coax/digital as the primary output....but all I'm getting is 2 channel. Maybe it's a disc issue.
post #470 of 1693 Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rang View Post

I should have explained further.

The 550 is $299CDN new. I'm within the 30 Best Buy return period.

I can also get the Samsung 1500, which does not have 7.1 analog outs but will re-encode the sound into basic dts, for $99CDN brand new (the player is legitimate...not "hot"). I'd be sacrificing Dolby True HD and dts MA because it does not have the analog outs. But maybe for $200 cheaper I'll be happy with regular dts.

I'm pretty sure I have the player set to bitstream and coax/digital as the primary output....but all I'm getting is 2 channel. Maybe it's a disc issue.

You are kind of comparing apples and oranges here. Audio format support is far from the only difference between these players. The 1500 does not support BD Live and might not even support the 1.1 spec either. It also is very slow to boot up compared to the S550.

Only you can make the decision on whether you can hear the difference between lossless and lossy audio formats.
post #471 of 1693 Old 05-31-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post

I am new to Blu Ray players and have a basic question on older movies w/o DTS-HD or True HD formats.

When running a Pioneer 51 into the Onkyo 886 by HDMI only.

Take a move like Hellboy I. There are 2 5.1 options. 5.1 Lossless PCM and 5.1. When I choose Lossless PCM, the Onkyo displays Multi Channel on the display. When I choose 5.1, it displays Dolby Digital.

Thanks !!!!!

The answers to all of your questions can be found in the first few posts in this thread. Please take the time to read a bit in the thread before posting a question which has been answered numerous times.

If, after reading through you still aren't clear about something, then I'm sure we can answer whatever remaining questions you have.
post #472 of 1693 Old 05-31-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PCM is lossless. DD 5.1 is compressed. PCM is almost certainly better.
post #473 of 1693 Old 05-31-2009, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

Multichannel LPCM is the pure, unadulterated Kona coffee beans, freshly roasted.

DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD are the same beans, packed in an airtight container. You have to open the container to use them, but that's the only difference.

Other forms of DTS and Dolby Digital are decaffeinated to various degrees. Probably drinkable, but they lack buzz.
Asterus likes this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #474 of 1693 Old 06-01-2009, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Multichannel LPCM is the pure, unadulterated Kona coffee beans, freshly roasted.

DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD are the same beans, packed in an airtight container. You have to open the container to use them, but that's the only difference.

Other forms of DTS and Dolby Digital are decaffeinated to various degrees. Probably drinkable, but they lack buzz.

Thanks for the replies to my question. I had already read the posts in the beginning of the thread and somewhat understood the compressed/uncompressed differences but being out of the upgrade arena (and forums to keep from upgrading )for a few years this is a learning process.

What I was questioning what I was seeing on the Pre/Pro display as the end result. I guess that I thought I would still see some kind of Dolby Digital included with the Multichannel on the display. I should have been more specific.

I wanted to make sure that I was using the fullest version available on the disk. The coffee anagolgy really made sense to me and brought it all together !!!!!!!!!

Onkyo SC 886
B K 200.5
Klipsh Forte Mains
Klipsh Center
ADS Surrounds
XS30
post #475 of 1693 Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMav View Post

Again, Thanks for your help. I'll see if I can locate the switch and give it a try.

I ended up with the Philips switch - PH-61148, hooked it up today and it worked flawlessly. No audible sound degradation on SACD/DVDAs. Played a couple of BD using True HD through the multi channel analogs and sounded better than the optical hook up with standard 5.1. Great solution for under $50.
Just an FYI

JTMav
post #476 of 1693 Old 06-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are kind of comparing apples and oranges here. Audio format support is far from the only difference between these players. The 1500 does not support BD Live and might not even support the 1.1 spec either. It also is very slow to boot up compared to the S550.

Only you can make the decision on whether you can hear the difference between lossless and lossy audio formats.

I admit there are technical differences between the players. I think the 1500 does support at least 1.1 but am not 100% sure.
Re loading times, though I didn't time them the Sony actually feels slower than the Samsung, but patience was never one of my strong suits so it could be my imagination
It's all about the audio for me. I compared dts MA to Dolby Digital (by switching on the fly from the main soundtrack to the Spanish dub which is DD) on the Day the Earth Stood Still. The dts MA was noticably better.
I just have to decide if it's worth $200 to me.
It probably will because my father in law, who just bought a Samsung 650 series LCD, really needs an upsampling BluRay player and the 1500 would be perfect for him.
post #477 of 1693 Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 AM

Nice thread....

With the large amount of pages I just thought asking my question would be easier.

Quote:

5. I still don't understand. What if I have an older receiver and only have toslink and/or coax inputs, what is going to happen when I watch a Blu-Ray disc?

A. If you have an older AVR with only toslink or coaxial audio inputs then you would connect the Blu-Ray player to your display via HDMI and simultaneously connect your Blu-Ray player's toslink/optical or coaxial digital output to your Audio Video Receiver. You will get either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the disk in question. These are not the uncompressed audio tracks, but are encoded at higher bitrate than is typical for DVD.

Based on this initial entry. I am wondering if it is still the best way to do it.

I have the Samsung BDP 1600 and the Samsung LN40A650. Should I send HDMI to the TV and optical to my receiver or just HDMI to the TV then optical from the TV to the receiver. Currently, my receiver only has one optical input and I am running my optical from the TV to the receiver.

Will it be worth my time to change this and have the optical run from my blu ray to the reciever or will I even notice a difference if I keep it the way it is?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
post #478 of 1693 Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anytimeuwnt View Post

Nice thread....

With the large amount of pages I just thought asking my question would be easier.

Based on this initial entry. I am wondering if it is still the best way to do it.

I have the Samsung BDP 1600 and the Samsung LN40A650. Should I send HDMI to the TV and optical to my receiver or just HDMI to the TV then optical from the TV to the receiver. Currently, my receiver only has one optical input and I am running my optical from the TV to the receiver.

Will it be worth my time to change this and have the optical run from my blu ray to the reciever or will I even notice a difference if I keep it the way it is?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Typically the television is NOT capable of decoding or passing the DD 5.1 or DTS signals from HDMI input to their optical output.

This is why you would connect the AVR and the TV each to the BD player as described.

If your TV can pass high bandwidth DD 5.1 and DTS then sure, you can do it as you describe with no ill effects.
post #479 of 1693 Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Typically the television is NOT capable of decoding or passing the DD 5.1 or DTS signals from HDMI input to their optical output.

This is why you would connect the AVR and the TV each to the BD player as described.

If your TV can pass high bandwidth DD 5.1 and DTS then sure, you can do it as you describe with no ill effects.

After checking cnet, samsung.com, and amazon, I have no clue if it can.

Does anyone have any idea if the Samsung LN40A650 can "pass high bandwidth DD 5.1 and DTS"???

post #480 of 1693 Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anytimeuwnt View Post

After checking cnet, samsung.com, and amazon, I have no clue if it can.

Does anyone have any idea if the Samsung LN40A650 can "pass high bandwidth DD 5.1 and DTS"???

I'm as confused as you are about why you need optical out from your TV to your receiver.

If it is because you want audio from things you are watching on the TV to play out on the receiver then a better way would be to run the optical audio out from the cable or satellite box directly to the AVR. You can get a toslink optical audio switcher to deal with the problem of only having one optical input on your AVR. They are fairly cheap from Monoprice.com, costing about $25 or so.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page