Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
^^ Not exactly.

Encoded soundtracks like TrueHD and dts-MA are simply zipped up versions of the original PCM. They are used to save space.

Bitstreaming sends the zip file to the receiver for decoding, where it is unzipped back into PCM. The player doesn't do anything except ship off the encoded file to the AVR.

Or, if your player has lossless decoders, it can do the unzipping itself and send the resulting PCM to the AVR.

You only need HD decoders in one place, your receiver or your player, not both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so if my receiver has ALL of the current codecs, it would seem like bitstreaming is the way to go, and let my receiver handle the decoding.

I have been looking at the Pioneer BDP-51fd player, which up until recently was missing the dta-MA codec. In this case, by bit streaming, I would still be able to get dts-MA, because the receiver could decode it.

However, now that the BDP-51fd firmware has been updated, to support dst-MA, I suppose I could still go with LPCM and letting the BDP do the decoding.

Am I getting closer here?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes.

The sound quality is pretty much the same either way. It doesn't matter which device does the decoding.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 PM

Thanks for all of your help - this has been a very enlightening conversation. I feel like I have a much better handle on this now.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Here's my system

TV - Panny TH-50PX60U plasma 50"
AVR - Sony STR-DE845 - will be using Optical cable
BD player - Sony S360

So I just got the 360 and I have an optical connection to my AVR and I can only get 2 channels going into my speakers. Is there a setting I'm missing for the audio? I've gone through the setup on the 360 and tried a number of combinations on my AVR but still can only get audio to play either through my center channel or only my fronts.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannorek View Post

Here's my system

TV - Panny TH-50PX60U plasma 50"
AVR - Sony STR-DE845 - will be using Optical cable
BD player - Sony S360

So I just got the 360 and I have an optical connection to my AVR and I can only get 2 channels going into my speakers. Is there a setting I'm missing for the audio? I've gone through the setup on the 360 and tried a number of combinations on my AVR but still can only get audio to play either through my center channel or only my fronts.

Have you set the Audio Output Priority to Optical/Coax? That setting is needed to get multichannel audio over optical. Dolby Digital and DTS need to be set to Dolby and DTS as well.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Have you set the Audio Output Priority to Optical/Coax? That setting is needed to get multichannel audio over optical. Dolby Digital and DTS need to be set to Dolby and DTS as well.

Thanks! I didn't have my DD set right. When I tried a DVD I still only got my center and fronts, am I going to be limited to that until I get an AVR that takes HDMI?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannorek View Post

Thanks! I didn't have my DD set right. When I tried a DVD I still only got my center and fronts, am I going to be limited to that until I get an AVR that takes HDMI?

No. You should get DD 5.1 and DTS using an optical connection. Do you have a calibration disc or a DVD with a THX Optimizer on it? You can use that to test the output of each channel.

Are you able to get 5.1 from a DVD player or from an HD television source?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:10 AM

So all in one day I've upgraded my HT system and I'm a little clueless on the new formats. I'm looking to get the most out of my system (configuration) and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Panasonic BD-80

Panasonic TC-P50G10

Yamaha RX-V1400

Oh and I've got a 7.1 surround setup using the Athena Audition series lineup.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy78 View Post

So all in one day I've upgraded my HT system and I'm a little clueless on the new formats. I'm looking to get the most out of my system (configuration) and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Panasonic BD-80

Panasonic TC-P50G10

Yamaha RX-V1400

Oh and I've got a 7.1 surround setup using the Athena Audition series lineup.

Since the Yamaha doesn't have HDMI, you'll need to use multichannel analog connections from the BD80 to the AVR for lossless audio on Blu-ray. The player will decode the lossless tracks, do the digital-analog conversion, and send analog audio to the receiver over eight cables (one for each channel).
Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 PM

Nice! Thanks!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:50 PM

Hi! I have read all the threads here but found no similar with my problem Im having with my blu ray player.

Problem is: My blu ray players audio goes off and on. its very irratating. I made sure I have the right setting in the audio set up in my blu ray player. I used the players digital connector.

Oh! but I used the players analog rca connectors, theres no problem.

Can you please help? Thank you

Im using reference 20 and b&k comp av5000 series II 125wpc amp. blu ray player is samsung bp1400.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Have you tried replacing the digital cable? Have you triend another input on the b&k? Have you tried testing the digital output from the player directly to the TV to see if you still get dropouts?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:27 PM

Yes! I have reconnected my old dvd player and theres no problem. I meant to say, if I connected my blu ray player to my preamp through its digital connectors, its audio goes off then on, off then on....none stop.
But when I swapped from digital connectors to analog rca connectors between blu ray and preamp, the audio problem disappears.
And have not tested its audio using my tv. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:14 PM

I have the Panasonic BD-60 hooked via HDMI to the Onkyo TX-SR876 then HDMI out to my Epson 6500. I dont think i am getting the correct audio format as when attempting to watch Night at the Museum and choose the DTS-HD Master Audio through the BR Audio Set up optons the Onkyo shows Neo:6 Cinema. What is the correct method to make sure i can get the best listening mode when selecting the audio options in the blu ray? Or have it auto detect?

Thank you for your assistance.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

^^ Not exactly.

Encoded soundtracks like TrueHD and dts-MA are simply zipped up versions of the original PCM. They are used to save space.

Bitstreaming sends the zip file to the receiver for decoding, where it is unzipped back into PCM. The player doesn't do anything except ship off the encoded file to the AVR.

Or, if your player has lossless decoders, it can do the unzipping itself and send the resulting PCM to the AVR.

You only need HD decoders in one place, your receiver or your player, not both.

I know that I may be in the wrong area, but does anyone know if an HP laptop (HDX 18t) will decode/unzip and provide lossless 2 channel audio from the analog (headphone socket) output?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 PM

I have a lexicon mc-4 processor which sends the side speaker information in parallel to the rears (matrix). The lexicon only has a 5.1 analog input. I currently own the Oppo Bdp-83 player (has 5.1 and 7.1 analog outputs) and am hooking up the player to my lexicon via multichannel analog outputs. Should I set the internal speaker settings in the oppo to 5.1 or 7.1?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:12 PM

my system is a good old 5.1 only with coax/optical connectors and of course those analog red/white rca type connectors.
And so I bought this blu ray player and hooked it to my preamp through coax connector. I went to the blu ray's audio setting and choose bitstream and hdmi audio to coax/optical. But when I play a blu ray disk, its audio goes off then on, off then on. Why its doing this?
So I isolated the problem like this: removed the blu ray and hooked back up my dvd player and played dvd disk not a blu ray disk and theres no problem.

Is my preamp is broken? I have b&k reference 20 power with b&k av5000sseries II 125wpc amp.

Thank you all.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotel/b&k View Post

my system is a good old 5.1 only with coax/optical connectors and of course those analog red/white rca type connectors.
And so I bought this blu ray player and hooked it to my preamp through coax connector. I went to the blu ray's audio setting and choose bitstream and hdmi audio to coax/optical. But when I play a blu ray disk, its audio goes off then on, off then on. Why its doing this?
So I isolated the problem like this: removed the blu ray and hooked back up my dvd player and played dvd disk not a blu ray disk and theres no problem.

Is my preamp is broken? I have b&k reference 20 power with b&k av5000sseries II 125wpc amp.

Try playing a DVD on your Blu-ray player and see how the audio sounds. You'll get legacy DD 5.1 and DTS from both types of discs, but the BD output is at a higher bitrate. Some older decoders can't handle the higher rates.

Also, have you tried both dts-MA and TrueHD tracks on Blu-ray? Your preamp may be OK with DD at 640kbps, but not DTS at the 1509kbps.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:28 AM

Info only. Before I spend money of a blu ray player, Im going to wait until they iron out the details. In the meantime I picked up used blu ray player in ebay and hook it up to my system. Like everyones dilemna, because my preamp is strickly 5.1(no 5.1 analog input), the audio part does not play well when watching a bd with higher bit rate. So what I did is, instead of using my preamp digital connectors, I hooked the player to my preamp using its red/white rca type analog to red/white rca type analog marked dvd. And it worked!!!

my rig is reference 20 with av5000 series II 125wpc amp.

Hope this experience will lighten up some people.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1st you state your pre-amp has no 5.1 analog inputs? Then you explain how you hooked your BD player up to 5.1 analog inputs? Which is it really?

I'm not sure I understand the part about "because my preamp is strickly 5.1(no 5.1 analog input), the audio part does not play well when watching a bd with higher bit rate. So what I did is, instead of using my preamp digital connectors"

I guess you amp can't handle the full bitrate audio that it should be able to handle just fine over Optical and/or digital coax?

Your post just doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

1st you state your pre-amp has no 5.1 analog inputs? Then you explain how you hooked your BD player up to 5.1 analog inputs? Which is it really?

I'm not sure I understand the part about "because my preamp is strickly 5.1(no 5.1 analog input), the audio part does not play well when watching a bd with higher bit rate. So what I did is, instead of using my preamp digital connectors"

I guess you amp can't handle the full bitrate audio that it should be able to handle just fine over Optical and/or digital coax?

I think he is talking about the analog stereo inputs and outputs.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

OK! I was tired last, did not fully elaborate. I meant I hooked up my bd player using its digital connectors and set my preamp and the players audio to play 5.1. My preamp is strickly 5.1(no 5.1 analog input) meant no multichannel analog rca type connectors in the back panel. My preamp only decodes up to DD and DTS formats.

So when I play a blu ray disk with audio format higher than DD or DTS, the audio wont play well.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

OK! I was tired last, did not fully elaborate. I meant I hooked up my bd player using its digital connectors and set my preamp and the players audio to play 5.1. My preamp is strickly 5.1(no 5.1 analog input) meant no multichannel analog rca type connectors in the back panel. My preamp only decodes up to DD and DTS formats.

So when I play a blu ray disk with audio format higher than DD or DTS, the audio wont play well.

BDs send a higher bitrate form of DD and DTS 5.1 than DVDs generally do. Maybe your pre/pro can't handle the higher bitrates?

It's very common to use legacy processors with BD players, using the lossy codecs. Most of the time it works without a hitch, even with entry level hardware. Some very early processors might have trouble with higher bitrates, I suppose.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 06-23-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

BDs send a higher bitrate form of DD and DTS 5.1 than DVDs generally do. Maybe your pre/pro can't handle the higher bitrates?

It's very common to use legacy processors with BD players, using the lossy codecs. Most of the time it works without a hitch, even with entry level hardware. Some very early processors might have trouble with higher bitrates, I suppose.

I think what is getting lost in the discussion is that he is using a samsung 1400 that he bought used on eBay. The 1400 new was a finicky, problematic machine at best. Add to that the used factor and...

My point is that the digital connection in the samsung may be bad. He may not have upgraded the firmware (some earlier versions in late 2007 caused all kinds of audio nightmares regardless of connection) or he may be experiencing the frequent incompatibilities between samsung 1400s and other equipment that helps explain why the 1400 thread is one of the longest on here.

If he wants to further troubleshoot, he can try one of the standard DVDs that had a higher bitrate DTS soundtrack (LOTR comes to mind) and see if that plays through his standard DVD player via the coax connection. He could also check with B+K (or in the pre/pro thread on this forum) to see if it is a known issue. There are a bunch of guys on here running the ref 20 with various BD machines that should be able to help him out in either the 1400 thread or the pre/pro area.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM

I just bought the new Samsung BD-P3600 Blu-Ray player. I have an existing home theather setup with a Denon AVR-3600 (Dolby Digital 5.1 AC-3 only Receiver). The audio is hooked up via an optical cable.

Some Blu-Ray movies don't have Dolby Digital 5.1 (only DTS-HD for example). I can't seem to get the P3600 to decode DTS-HD to Dolby Digit 5.1 (AC-3). It suppose to according to the specs.. Anybody know the proper setting on the Samsung BD-P3600 so it decodes DTS-HD?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Thank you for clarification. My rig is Reference 20 with b&k av5000 series II 125wpc amp. Blu ray player is samsung bdp1400.

If I use their red/white rca type connectors, instead of using digital connector, is my preamp getting all of the audio signals it needs to give me a good sound quality?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maha View Post

I just bought the new Samsung BD-P3600 Blu-Ray player. I have an existing home theather setup with a Denon AVR-3600 (Dolby Digital 5.1 AC-3 only Receiver). The audio is hooked up via an optical cable.

Some Blu-Ray movies don't have Dolby Digital 5.1 (only DTS-HD for example). I can't seem to get the P3600 to decode DTS-HD to Dolby Digit 5.1 (AC-3). It suppose to according to the specs.. Anybody know the proper setting on the Samsung BD-P3600 so it decodes DTS-HD?

Im having the same issue. welcome to the club. You cant do anything, might as well return your samsung and get the panasonic player. I have a samsung bdp1400 bought in ebay. If you cant return it, use your reciever's white/red rca analog connectors.

good luck
Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnewmanpac View Post

I think what is getting lost in the discussion is that he is using a samsung 1400 that he bought used on eBay. The 1400 new was a finicky, problematic machine at best. Add to that the used factor and...

My point is that the digital connection in the samsung may be bad. He may not have upgraded the firmware (some earlier versions in late 2007 caused all kinds of audio nightmares regardless of connection) or he may be experiencing the frequent incompatibilities between samsung 1400s and other equipment that helps explain why the 1400 thread is one of the longest on here.

If he wants to further troubleshoot, he can try one of the standard DVDs that had a higher bitrate DTS soundtrack (LOTR comes to mind) and see if that plays through his standard DVD player via the coax connection. He could also check with B+K (or in the pre/pro thread on this forum) to see if it is a known issue. There are a bunch of guys on here running the ref 20 with various BD machines that should be able to help him out in either the 1400 thread or the pre/pro area.

Yes indeed! I bought a samsung bdp1400 from ebay. Im going to the right thread and find my questions there.
But when I use the players white/red rca connectors and hook it up to my preamp, the audio works. Now I dont know if Im getting all the audio signals if going through that route.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Thank you for clarification. My rig is Reference 20 with b&k av5000 series II 125wpc amp. Blu ray player is samsung bdp1400.

If I use their red/white rca type connectors, instead of using digital connector, is my preamp getting all of the audio signals it needs to give me a good sound quality?

That will obviously give you stereo only, downmixed from whatever codecs that particular player can decode. The optical output would be better, in theory, but as someone mentioned that player apparently has some issues.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com