Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 1706 Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Member
 
Avatar28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nashville, TN USA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

That's a good question, although I don't think it is relevant to the issue of setting up multichannel speaker systems. Bass and time management happen in the digital domain.

I'm not an audio engineer and I don't know how receivers apply surround processing such as ProLogic to analog sources. Dolby Surround and ProLogic were created for use with analog, a way to fold four discrete channels into a stereo signal. But, I have no idea how that is done, actually.

It is applied in much the same way as digital since it is all processed digitally in your decoder now anyways. I believe that it always allowed for some amount of timing adjustment for the surround channel so that the sounds aligned properly (mine did anyways). The original Dolby Surround and Pro-Logic did not include bass management, though I believe that many Dolby Digital decoders (even pre-PLII ones) could also apply their bass management to the output, though it wasn't officially part of it. Here is some info that might help more.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...und-sound5.htm
http://www.extremetech.com/article/0...53D1531,00.asp (continue on to the next page of this one too)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Surround


Now, getting back to the thread's main topic. I bought an Insignia BD player for myself for Christmas. Was briefly trying it out and found a small problem. I had it connected to my receiver using toslink. When I watched a Blu-Ray disc, I had no problems getting 5.1 audio but on standard DVDs, it would only give me stereo audio. I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it then, but, assuming I keep it, I will need to resolve that issue.
Avatar28 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Member
 
SVT01LIGHTNING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
very aggrevated last night.....yesterday i picked up a samsung BD-P1500 blu ray and my home theatre reciever is a samsung HT-TX72......i wanted all my connections for both recievers to be HDMI


first i had HDMI from the blu-ray to the tv(samsung PN50A550) and HDMI from home theatre reciever to tv....well with the Anynet+ feature the blu-ray would shut down the home theatre reciever so i couldnt get sound through my speakers

next i ran HDMI from the blu-ray to the HDMI IN on the home theatre reciever and then HDMI from the OUT on the home theatre reciever to the HDMI IN on the tv....it worked i got picture and sound but the picture was all stained glass looking and the colors were all distorted

finally i unplugged HDMI from the home theatre and just ran audio with RCA cables and went back to HDMI from blu-ray to the tv and it worked....is this how im gonna have to run my new blu-ray setup? im stumped i usually never have a problem setting stuff up but this one got me as this is my first blu-ray player(and free none the less thanks to circuit city)

any help would be greatly appreciated!

XBOX 360 ELITE
XBL GAMERTAG SVT01LIGHTNING
SAMSUNG PN50A550 TV
SAMSUNG HT-TX72 HOME THEATRE
SAMSUNG BD-P1500 BLU-RAY
HP PAVILLION dV7 NOTEBOOK
SVT01LIGHTNING is offline  
post #33 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT01LIGHTNING View Post

very aggrevated last night.....yesterday i picked up a samsung BD-P1500 blu ray and my home theatre reciever is a samsung HT-TX72......i wanted all my connections for both recievers to be HDMI


first i had HDMI from the blu-ray to the tv(samsung PN50A550) and HDMI from home theatre reciever to tv....well with the Anynet+ feature the blu-ray would shut down the home theatre reciever so i couldnt get sound through my speakers

next i ran HDMI from the blu-ray to the HDMI IN on the home theatre reciever and then HDMI from the OUT on the home theatre reciever to the HDMI IN on the tv....it worked i got picture and sound but the picture was all stained glass looking and the colors were all distorted

finally i unplugged HDMI from the home theatre and just ran audio with RCA cables and went back to HDMI from blu-ray to the tv and it worked....is this how im gonna have to run my new blu-ray setup? im stumped i usually never have a problem setting stuff up but this one got me as this is my first blu-ray player(and free none the less thanks to circuit city)

any help would be greatly appreciated!

You are describing a handshake issue, in this case between the home theater receiver and the TV. The home theater receiver is not passing all of the information from the BD player to the TV. You will need to see what options can be set on your receiver to try to fix this, you can also try locking different resolutions on your BD player.

For example, my Yamaha Audio Video Receiver has specific settings for HDMI such as "pass through" in which case it passes everything from the HDMI device through to the display without altering it in any way.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #34 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Member
 
SVT01LIGHTNING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok i will give it another shot tonight i hope i can figure this out

XBOX 360 ELITE
XBL GAMERTAG SVT01LIGHTNING
SAMSUNG PN50A550 TV
SAMSUNG HT-TX72 HOME THEATRE
SAMSUNG BD-P1500 BLU-RAY
HP PAVILLION dV7 NOTEBOOK
SVT01LIGHTNING is offline  
post #35 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Member
 
blownaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning on purchasing a blue ray player soon.

I have a Denon AVR 5308ci receiver and the Elite Kuro 141FP 60" monitor (will be delivered in January).

I heard that the only way to hear the secondary audio track in HD audio is to have the DVD player decode all the audio. I'm not sure if this is just the case with BDLive or earlier versions of Blue Ray?

Is this correct?

Since the 5308 has it's own built in audio decoding, should I focus on simply a good transport blue ray player (oppo BDP-93 would be perfect) or would I gain anything by buying further up the chain like the Denon DVD-3800bdci or the soon to be released top end Pioneer Elite model?

If my reciver is doing all the audio and video processing, why not pick up an inexpensive BD player the likes of Sony, Panosonic, Pioneer ect....

Please help, thanks
blownaway is offline  
post #36 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaway View Post

I'm planning on purchasing a blue ray player soon.

I have a Denon AVR 5308ci receiver and the Elite Kuro 141FP 60" monitor (will be delivered in January).

I heard that the only way to hear the secondary audio track in HD audio is to have the DVD player decode all the audio. I'm not sure if this is just the case with BDLive or earlier versions of Blue Ray?

Is this correct?

Since the 5308 has it's own built in audio decoding, should I focus on simply a good transport blue ray player (oppo BDP-93 would be perfect) or would I gain anything by buying further up the chain like the Denon DVD-3800bdci or the soon to be released top end Pioneer Elite model?

If my reciver is doing all the audio and video processing, why not pick up an inexpensive BD player the likes of Sony, Panosonic, Pioneer ect....

Please help, thanks

The information you have is mostly correct. If the player is going to combine audio tracks such as commentary, etc, then it must do all of the decoding internally, meaning that you would want the player to decode everything itself and send it to your Denon over analog or HDMI.

You can get the Panasonic BD35 for as little as $199. It decodes all audio formats and does a good job of up scaling SD content. You would program the BD35 to send PCM to your Denon and you wouldn't be missing anything as the Denon would still adjust speaker levels, surround delay, etc, from the PCM signal coming in.

If you want superior up-conversion later on down the road you could retire the Panasonic to another television and get the Oppo BD83 when it comes out sometime in the next few months. The Oppo will have the best up-conversion for the money and will also offer some additional picture tweaks that the Panny and other budget players don't offer.

PS, I'm jealous of your TV purchase, the 60" Kuro is a gorgeous set.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #37 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Member
 
SVT01LIGHTNING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

You are describing a handshake issue, in this case between the home theater receiver and the TV. The home theater receiver is not passing all of the information from the BD player to the TV. You will need to see what options can be set on your receiver to try to fix this, you can also try locking different resolutions on your BD player.

For example, my Yamaha Audio Video Receiver has specific settings for HDMI such as "pass through" in which case it passes everything from the HDMI device through to the display without altering it in any way.

well i just messed with it a lil more and i switched the resolution to 1080i on the blu-ray player and the picture was clear....that makes me mad why wont it come in clear on 1080p? also i now dont have any audio on a movie and only 3 speakers are shown as active on my AVR....i didnt change the audio output on the blu-ray player its on PCM right now it had 2 bitstream options that i didnt mess with yet?

XBOX 360 ELITE
XBL GAMERTAG SVT01LIGHTNING
SAMSUNG PN50A550 TV
SAMSUNG HT-TX72 HOME THEATRE
SAMSUNG BD-P1500 BLU-RAY
HP PAVILLION dV7 NOTEBOOK
SVT01LIGHTNING is offline  
post #38 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Member
 
Avatar28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nashville, TN USA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT01LIGHTNING View Post

well i just messed with it a lil more and i switched the resolution to 1080i on the blu-ray player and the picture was clear....that makes me mad why wont it come in clear on 1080p? also i now dont have any audio on a movie and only 3 speakers are shown as active on my AVR....i didnt change the audio output on the blu-ray player its on PCM right now it had 2 bitstream options that i didnt mess with yet?

Not sure about the audio thing, but if it is clear in 1080i but not 1080p then I would suspect a bandwidth issue. Maybe the receiver doesn't have the bandwidth to handle the doubled bandwidth of the progressive signal or maybe it a problem with one of your hdmi cables? Or not the receiver, I just looked it up and it most definitely can deal with 1080p. Here is a way to determine if it is the cables maybe. Make sure the receiver is set to convert everything to 1080p and watch another source that is being upconverted from a lower res and see if the picture is clear there. If it is, try swapping the cable between the TV and the receiver with the one that went between the player and receiver. If the picture is fine on an upconverted source on both cables then you know it isn't the cabling.
Avatar28 is offline  
post #39 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT01LIGHTNING View Post

very aggrevated last night.....yesterday i picked up a samsung BD-P1500 blu ray and my home theatre reciever is a samsung HT-TX72......i wanted all my connections for both recievers to be HDMI


first i had HDMI from the blu-ray to the tv(samsung PN50A550) and HDMI from home theatre reciever to tv....well with the Anynet+ feature the blu-ray would shut down the home theatre reciever so i couldnt get sound through my speakers

next i ran HDMI from the blu-ray to the HDMI IN on the home theatre reciever and then HDMI from the OUT on the home theatre reciever to the HDMI IN on the tv....it worked i got picture and sound but the picture was all stained glass looking and the colors were all distorted

finally i unplugged HDMI from the home theatre and just ran audio with RCA cables and went back to HDMI from blu-ray to the tv and it worked....is this how im gonna have to run my new blu-ray setup? im stumped i usually never have a problem setting stuff up but this one got me as this is my first blu-ray player(and free none the less thanks to circuit city)

any help would be greatly appreciated!

A quick check on Amazon.com reviews shows a lot of HDMI issues with your Samsung HT-TX72. According to one reviewer the HDMI IN and HDMI OUT on the receiver is NOT a pass-through. You will also want to read the other comments on Amazon.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #40 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Member
 
SVT01LIGHTNING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

A quick check on Amazon.com reviews shows a lot of HDMI issues with your Samsung HT-TX72. According to one reviewer the HDMI IN and HDMI OUT on the receiver is NOT a pass-through. You will also want to read the other comments on Amazon.

GREAT!.....just what i needed to hear lol

XBOX 360 ELITE
XBL GAMERTAG SVT01LIGHTNING
SAMSUNG PN50A550 TV
SAMSUNG HT-TX72 HOME THEATRE
SAMSUNG BD-P1500 BLU-RAY
HP PAVILLION dV7 NOTEBOOK
SVT01LIGHTNING is offline  
post #41 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT01LIGHTNING View Post

GREAT!.....just what i needed to hear lol

Unfortunately if your AVR does not have a tru HDMI pass through then these are the sorts of issues you are going to be stuck dealing with.

I would recommend that for the time being you go optical or coax digital from your BD player to the Samsung AVR and hook up your HDMI direct from the BD player to the TV.

You will still get very good sound this way and eliminate all of the handshake problems, etc.

Alternatively if your AVR is within the return window you should return it and get something that's relatively inexpensive but good such as the Onkyo 606 which supports all lossless audio formats, offers true HDMI 1.3a pass through, etc.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #42 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Member
 
blownaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The information you have is mostly correct. If the player is going to combine audio tracks such as commentary, etc, then it must do all of the decoding internally, meaning that you would want the player to decode everything itself and send it to your Denon over analog or HDMI.

You can get the Panasonic BD35 for as little as $199. It decodes all audio formats and does a good job of up scaling SD content. You would program the BD35 to send PCM to your Denon and you wouldn't be missing anything as the Denon would still adjust speaker levels, surround delay, etc, from the PCM signal coming in.

If you want superior up-conversion later on down the road you could retire the Panasonic to another television and get the Oppo BD83 when it comes out sometime in the next few months. The Oppo will have the best up-conversion for the money and will also offer some additional picture tweaks that the Panny and other budget players don't offer.

PS, I'm jealous of your TV purchase, the 60" Kuro is a gorgeous set.

Thanks jmpage2 this really helps.

I may p/u a BD35 and re-sell it then get the BD83.

OR

Pick up a used DV-983H someplace and re-sell then get the BD83

Hmmm, what about the video?

I thougth the Realta chip on my 5308 does the upconversion of SD DVD's?

If this is the case, would an oppo player do a better job of upconversion than my receiver?
blownaway is offline  
post #43 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaway View Post

Thanks jmpage2 this really helps.

I may p/u a BD35 and re-sell it then get the BD83.

OR

Pick up a used DV-983H someplace and re-sell then get the BD83

Hmmm, what about the video?

I thougth the Realta chip on my 5308 does the upconversion of SD DVD's?

If this is the case, would an oppo player do a better job of upconversion than my receiver?

This is getting a bit out of scope of the audio thread but yes, the BD83 will contain the Reon processor that will blow your Denon out of the water.

Personally if I was in your shoes I would get a full featured BD player such as the BD35 for the time being and if you do later on desire a 2nd player retire that full featured player to another room and put the BD83 on your Kuro.

None of the current players other than the Pioneer have "source direct" which will pass native sources for all resolutions to your AVR for post-processing. You don't want the Pio either, it has no profile 2.0 support, is slow slow slow loading and has issues reading some Blu-Ray discs. The Panasonic has none of these issues.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #44 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moviegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

This is getting a bit out of scope of the audio thread but yes, the BD83 will contain the Reon processor that will blow your Denon out of the water.

Personally if I was in your shoes I would get a full featured BD player such as the BD35 for the time being and if you do later on desire a 2nd player retire that full featured player to another room and put the BD83 on your Kuro.

None of the current players other than the Pioneer have "source direct" which will pass native sources for all resolutions to your AVR for post-processing. You don't want the Pio either, it has no profile 2.0 support, is slow slow slow loading and has issues reading some Blu-Ray discs. The Panasonic has none of these issues.


The OPPO BD83 will use an ABT chip,I do agree that a Panasonic BD35 would be a good choice to decode all HD audio formats.
moviegeek is offline  
post #45 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
rto
AVS Special Member
 
rto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Shenandoah Valley VA
Posts: 3,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

This is getting a bit out of scope of the audio thread but yes, the BD83 will contain the Reon processor that will blow your Denon out of the water.

Personally if I was in your shoes I would get a full featured BD player such as the BD35 for the time being and if you do later on desire a 2nd player retire that full featured player to another room and put the BD83 on your Kuro.

None of the current players other than the Pioneer have "source direct" which will pass native sources for all resolutions to your AVR for post-processing. You don't want the Pio either, it has no profile 2.0 support, is slow slow slow loading and has issues reading some Blu-Ray discs. The Panasonic has none of these issues.

Since when will a Reon blow a Realta out of the water?
rto is offline  
post #46 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Newbie
 
nmb3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market to buy a blu ray dvd player and I hear that Panasonic BD35/55 is the best in the market. However, I have an older receiver the Onkyo TX-DS797. The unit does not say HDMI. Should I buy the BD35 of BD55? Which cables will I need to get the greatest sound output? And will I regret the purchase if I buy a new receiver a few years from now? Can anyone recommend a better player? Thanks all I appreciate any help. But can I get away with the BD35 even though my receiver does not have HDMI? Can I hook it up through my TV and then TV to the reciever using component cables? I plan on buying a new reciever in the future but not just right now.
nmb3 is offline  
post #47 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rto View Post

Since when will a Reon blow a Realta out of the water?

My mistake, I was thinking of the Anchor Bay 2010 chip which is one of the best upscalers out there. That is the chip in the upcoming BDP83.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #48 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmb3 View Post

I am in the market to buy a blu ray dvd player and I hear that Panasonic BD35/55 is the best in the market. However, I have an older receiver the Onkyo TX-DS797. The unit does not say HDMI. Should I buy the BD35 of BD55? Which cables will I need to get the greatest sound output? And will I regret the purchase if I buy a new receiver a few years from now? Can anyone recommend a better player? Thanks all I appreciate any help. But can I get away with the BD35 even though my receiver does not have HDMI? Can I hook it up through my TV and then TV to the reciever using component cables? I plan on buying a new reciever in the future but not just right now.

The first post in this thread is an FAQ that answers this specific question. To get lossless audio you need 5.1 audio cables (www.monoprice.com is a good supplier) to connect between the BD55 and your AVR. The BD35 will only pass advanced audio over HDMI, which your AVR does not have.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #49 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moviegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

My mistake, I was thinking of the Anchor Bay 2010 chip which is one of the best upscalers out there. That is the chip in the upcoming BDP83.

I had one in my Toshiba A20 and I wasn't impressed,I would stick with a Realta.
moviegeek is offline  
post #50 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

I had one in my Toshiba A20 and I wasn't impressed,I would stick with a Realta.

pretty sure the A20 had the 1018 in it. Totally different chipset.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #51 of 1706 Old 12-17-2008, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaway View Post

I have a Denon AVR 5308ci receiver and the Elite Kuro 141FP 60" monitor (will be delivered in January).

I heard that the only way to hear the secondary audio track in HD audio is to have the DVD player decode all the audio. I'm not sure if this is just the case with BDLive or earlier versions of Blue Ray?

Is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The information you have is mostly correct. If the player is going to combine audio tracks such as commentary, etc, then it must do all of the decoding internally, meaning that you would want the player to decode everything itself and send it to your Denon over analog or HDMI.

The secondary audio situation with the new Panasonic players is a bit muddled right now. It appears that turning secondary audio to on may defeat lossless decoding in the player. The BD35 may use a lossy track instead of the lossless one when secondary audio is present.

If that is the case, there's no advantage to player decoding. You can bitstream and just turn on secondary audio when you want it. The player will use a lossy track, decode it, mix in the secondary audio, re-encode the lossy mix, and bitstream it to the receiver.

Player decoding only has an advantage if the player uses the lossless track. If it doesn't, you have to switch secondary audio on and off with either approach and you will get lossy when using secondary audio with either approach.
BIslander is online now  
post #52 of 1706 Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 AM
Member
 
mfrank1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all -- I though I'd try a post here to see if anyone out there can help. I purchased a Sony CT-100 soundbar because I thought the dialog sounds were low when I connected my Sony S550 directly to my Bravia 46XBR4 via HDMI. While the sound is somewhat improved with the CT-100 (probably owing to the subwoofer), I have to play it at Max (50) to feel it's even acceptable. I tried hooking up a Panasonic BD55 to ithe CT-100, to see if my problem was sound output from the S550, but the levels were about the same, also with HDMI. Optical output is about the same as HDMI from the S550. I've considered the possibility something may be wrong with my CT-100 and wish there was an objective way to test it. Has anyone encountered a similar problem with this equipment and solved it?? Thanks so much for any help.

My S550 settings:

Audio HDMI = Auto
BD Audio = Direct
Audio ATT = Off
Dolby Digital = Dolby Digital
DTS = DTS
DRC = Standard
Downmix = Dolby Surround
48KHz/16 bit

The settings on the CT-100 are:

Sound Field = Movie
Dual Mono = Main
A/V Sync = Off
Audio DRC = Std
mfrank1 is offline  
post #53 of 1706 Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank1 View Post

Hi all -- I though I'd try a post here to see if anyone out there can help. I purchased a Sony CT-100 soundbar because I thought the dialog sounds were low when I connected my Sony S550 directly to my Bravia 46XBR4 via HDMI. While the sound is somewhat improved with the CT-100 (probably owing to the subwoofer), I have to play it at Max (50) to feel it's even acceptable. I tried hooking up a Panasonic BD55 to ithe CT-100, to see if my problem was sound output from the S550, but the levels were about the same, also with HDMI. Optical output is about the same as HDMI from the S550. I've considered the possibility something may be wrong with my CT-100 and wish there was an objective way to test it. Has anyone encountered a similar problem with this equipment and solved it?? Thanks so much for any help.

My S550 settings:

Audio HDMI = Auto
BD Audio = Direct
Audio ATT = Off
Dolby Digital = Dolby Digital
DTS = DTS
DRC = Standard
Downmix = Dolby Surround
48KHz/16 bit

The settings on the CT-100 are:

Sound Field = Movie
Dual Mono = Main
A/V Sync = Off
Audio DRC = Std

Turn off DRC, since it's going to result in the player adjusting volume itself based on how loud the movie is.

You probably want to turn it off on both the BD player and Sound Bar initially.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #54 of 1706 Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Member
 
SVT01LIGHTNING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Unfortunately if your AVR does not have a tru HDMI pass through then these are the sorts of issues you are going to be stuck dealing with.

I would recommend that for the time being you go optical or coax digital from your BD player to the Samsung AVR and hook up your HDMI direct from the BD player to the TV.

You will still get very good sound this way and eliminate all of the handshake problems, etc.

Alternatively if your AVR is within the return window you should return it and get something that's relatively inexpensive but good such as the Onkyo 606 which supports all lossless audio formats, offers true HDMI 1.3a pass through, etc.

yea thats exactly what i did last night and now everything is working perfectly picture and sound....my tv does not say its in 1080p when u hit info/display, it just says 1080 but im assumin its in 1080p cuz i set the reso. on the blu-ray itself back to 1080p....also i now only have 3 speakers showing operative when i watched a blu ray(the front left and right and the sub)....hopefully its somethin i need to go in a menu on my AVR and changed around.

thanks for all ur help again!

XBOX 360 ELITE
XBL GAMERTAG SVT01LIGHTNING
SAMSUNG PN50A550 TV
SAMSUNG HT-TX72 HOME THEATRE
SAMSUNG BD-P1500 BLU-RAY
HP PAVILLION dV7 NOTEBOOK
SVT01LIGHTNING is offline  
post #55 of 1706 Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Member
 
Avatar28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nashville, TN USA
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT01LIGHTNING View Post

yea thats exactly what i did last night and now everything is working perfectly picture and sound....my tv does not say its in 1080p when u hit info/display, it just says 1080 but im assumin its in 1080p cuz i set the reso. on the blu-ray itself back to 1080p....also i now only have 3 speakers showing operative when i watched a blu ray(the front left and right and the sub)....hopefully its somethin i need to go in a menu on my AVR and changed around.

thanks for all ur help again!

That is the same thing I got on my AVR when watching a standard DVD, though a bluray was fine when I watched it (set to the Dolby Digital track, though). What setting is your audio format set to on your BD player? I think you need to set it to decode the audio in the player instead of the receiver since you are using optical.
Avatar28 is offline  
post #56 of 1706 Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Member
 
SVT01LIGHTNING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar28 View Post

That is the same thing I got on my AVR when watching a standard DVD, though a bluray was fine when I watched it (set to the Dolby Digital track, though). What setting is your audio format set to on your BD player? I think you need to set it to decode the audio in the player instead of the receiver since you are using optical.

right now it is set to PCM

XBOX 360 ELITE
XBL GAMERTAG SVT01LIGHTNING
SAMSUNG PN50A550 TV
SAMSUNG HT-TX72 HOME THEATRE
SAMSUNG BD-P1500 BLU-RAY
HP PAVILLION dV7 NOTEBOOK
SVT01LIGHTNING is offline  
post #57 of 1706 Old 12-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Member
 
mfrank1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Turn off DRC, since it's going to result in the player adjusting volume itself based on how loud the movie is.

You probably want to turn it off on both the BD player and Sound Bar initially.

Thanks, jmpage2. I'll give it a try.
mfrank1 is offline  
post #58 of 1706 Old 12-18-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tundrSQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Recently I have been reading that with Blu-ray units using analog connections for older AVR's that it is recommended that i would also use a s/pdif or optical cable for when watching SD dvd's...is this correct and why? And which is preferred since i have both available to me.

Thanks,

Tim
tundrSQ is offline  
post #59 of 1706 Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

Recently I have been reading that with Blu-ray units using analog connections for older AVR's that it is recommended that i would also use a s/pdif or optical cable for when watching SD dvd's...is this correct and why? And which is preferred since i have both available to me.

Thanks,

I'm not aware of why you would need to do this. The BD player should decode all formats it is capable of for transmission over the analog outputs if it is equipped with them.

The only exception might be an inability to mix secondary audio such as commentary with a lossless audio track.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #60 of 1706 Old 12-19-2008, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

Recently I have been reading that with Blu-ray units using analog connections for older AVR's that it is recommended that i would also use a s/pdif or optical cable for when watching SD dvd's...is this correct and why? And which is preferred since i have both available to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I'm not aware of why you would need to do this. The BD player should decode all formats it is capable of for transmission over the analog outputs if it is equipped with them.

The only exception might be an inability to mix secondary audio such as commentary with a lossless audio track.

Here's why: Your AVR likely has better tools for bass management and EQ. It may also have better DACs. Since analog uses the player's tools and bypasses all of the AVR's processing, a digital transmission may produce better sound. Also, if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 system, digital enables you to apply a DSP such as PLIIx to fill those rear speakers with sound. That's not possible with analog on most receivers.

I have my BD55 connected both ways and I use coax for DVDs. But, I don't really notice any differences in my room on my equipment.
BIslander is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off