Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #631 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the Sony BDP-S560 and I hooked it to my Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver via an HDMI cable. How do I go about getting the receiver to play DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD? I've tested a couple of blu-rays already and instead of saying DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD on the receiver it says PCM Multi Channel or something? I previously had my PS3 hooked up to the receiver and I had read somewhere that when the PS3 was hooked up it would NOT say DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD even though it was playing in those respected formats. However with this new player, shouldn't it say the format instead of PCM? I looked at the audio settings on the blu-ray player itself and it did say something like "Digital Out" under DTS and Dolby Digital? Am I missing something simple here? Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDProjekt View Post

I just purchased the Sony BDP-S560 and I hooked it to my Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver via an HDMI cable. How do I go about getting the receiver to play DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD? I've tested a couple of blu-rays already and instead of saying DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD on the receiver it says PCM Multi Channel or something? I previously had my PS3 hooked up to the receiver and I had read somewhere that when the PS3 was hooked up it would NOT say DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD even though it was playing in those respected formats. However with this new player, shouldn't it say the format instead of PCM? I looked at the audio settings on the blu-ray player itself and it did say something like "Digital Out" under DTS and Dolby Digital? Am I missing something simple here? Any help would be much appreciated!!!

If you read the first post in this thread, which answers common questions you would see that this is expected if you are sending PCM. You will only see the format name on your AVR if you are sending bitstream from the player.

However, the sound quality either way is identical. It doesn't matter what lights come on as long as you are playing the DTS-MA or True-HD track.
post #633 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

If you read the first post in this thread, which answers common questions you would see that this is expected if you are sending PCM. You will only see the format name on your AVR if you are sending bitstream from the player.

However, the sound quality either way is identical. It doesn't matter what lights come on as long as you are playing the DTS-MA or True-HD track.

Thanks for the reply - My bad regarding not reading the first thread. I know it doesn't matter since they maybe playing the same track, but I'm anal about stuff like that lol - I just want it to say either "DTS HD" or "Dolby TrueHD" when I'm playing it in those respected formats. I'm pretty sure I can send bitstream from the player in order for it to happen? I feel like it's something small I'm missing (missing with the audio settings more either on the player or receiver).
post #634 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply - My bad regarding not reading the first thread. I know it doesn't matter since they maybe playing the same track, but I'm anal about stuff like that lol - I just want it to say either "DTS HD" or "Dolby TrueHD" when I'm playing it in those respected formats. I'm pretty sure I can send bitstream from the player in order for it to happen? I feel like it's something small I'm missing (missing with the audio settings more either on the player or receiver).

It's foolish to worry about it. For one thing, some players have trouble doing bitstream and handling secondary audio information such as special features, etc. They are better at simply putting all of the audio out as PCM and sending that to your AVR.

So, if you are looking to get some compatibility headaches, etc, to see a tiny lamp turn on with your AVR, go nuts.
post #635 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:

It's foolish to worry about it. For one thing, some players have trouble doing bitstream and handling secondary audio information such as special features, etc. They are better at simply putting all of the audio out as PCM and sending that to your AVR.

So, if you are looking to get some compatibility headaches, etc, to see a tiny lamp turn on with your AVR, go nuts.

Yes, while it may be foolish to you, it's not to me. I have OCD so it bothers me.
post #636 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Yes, while it may be foolish to you, it's not to me. I have OCD so it bothers me.

I bet it will bother you more the first time you want to use a PIP commentary track and discover you have to stop the movie and go into your player's setup menu and change everything to LPCM, and then recalibrate your AVR.

I don't understand why people are willing to cripple their players just to see the lights. Why not put the receiver where you can't see it from your seat if it bothers you so much? The player can display the audio codec on screen with a click of the remote if you need to know.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #637 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I bet it will bother you more the first time you want to use a PIP commentary track and discover you have to stop the movie and go into your player's setup menu and change everything to LPCM, and then recalibrate your AVR.

I don't understand why people are willing to cripple their players just to see the lights. Why not put the receiver where you can't see it from your seat if it bothers you so much? The player can display the audio codec on screen with a click of the remote if you need to know.

I don't normally use PIP, so it wouldn't bother me. Is this some sort of touchy subject? It seems that I've hit a nerve with a couple of you? I was just curious if there was anything I could do about it, I figured with this new player it would allow my receiver to display the audio formats.
post #638 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't normally use PIP, so it wouldn't bother me. Is this some sort of touchy subject? It seems that I've hit a nerve with a couple of you? I was just curious if there was anything I could do about it, I figured with this new player it would allow my receiver to display the audio formats.

We are here to help people. The question that you ask has been asked hundreds of time in this thread and others, so maybe people are just getting a little irritated that it keeps coming up.

If it is an obsession for you, then as indicated, there is a solution. Get a BD player that can output the advanced formats as BITSTREAM and the little lights on the AVR should come on telling you that you are getting those formats decoded in the AVR instead of on the BD player.

Life is just too short to worry about this stuff. No functionality is impacted if the player does PCM to the AVR, but for you this is a big deal, so go ahead and set it up for bitstream.
post #639 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:

We are here to help people. The question that you ask has been asked hundreds of time in this thread and others, so maybe people are just getting a little irritated that it keeps coming up.

If it is an obsession for you, then as indicated, there is a solution. Get a BD player that can output the advanced formats as BITSTREAM and the little lights on the AVR should come on telling you that you are getting those formats decoded in the AVR instead of on the BD player.

Life is just too short to worry about this stuff. No functionality is impacted if the player does PCM to the AVR, but for you this is a big deal, so go ahead and set it up for bitstream.

I appreciate the help and again apologize for asking the same question that many others have asked. I honestly didn't want to have to sift through pages and pages to find the answer.

Do you know any good players off the top of your head that can output the advanced formats as Bitstream?

I hate that I have it, but only someone else with OCD would understand

Thanks again for the help!
post #640 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 10:33 AM

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...specifications

According to the product info on the above page, the player indeed outputs bitstream... I've read the manual and cannot seem to find how to change this setting.
post #641 of 1693 Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...specifications

According to the product info on the above page, the player indeed outputs bitstream... I've read the manual and cannot seem to find how to change this setting.

You should ask the question in the appropriate player thread, I am not familiar with your player.
post #642 of 1693 Old 08-08-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Set the S560 to Direct instead of Mix. If your receiver has the needed HD decoders, the player will bitstream. If not, it will decode and send PCM.

With some receivers, you also need to make sure the HDMI audio output from the AVR to the TV is turned off. Sometimes, the TV will instruct the player to output PCM instead of bitstream.

btw, these days just about every player on the market bitstreams dts-MA and TrueHD.
post #643 of 1693 Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiles View Post

I have a samsung 2550 and an Integra receiver
I had similar problems and have multichannel audio out
I changed it back to PCM and I have not had a problem with any of the discs that I have played since
I have also avoided doing any firmware upgrades since the 1.4

Thanks for the info! I'm chicken about applying the firmware update.

I am currently bitstreaming the audio out of the 3600 to the 805 without a problem. I talked to Samsung again yesterday about another matter. They seem to have a script designed to sidestep the problems concerning LPCM output over HDMI. I'm uncertain whether the problem lies in my Onkyo 805 or the Samsung. My assumption is that the Samsung techs seem trained to avoid any direct answer to the possibility of the 3600 being able to properly send LPCM via HDMI, I think I have an idea of where the problem lies.

Luckily, I can either do the conversion in the player and send it out via analog as you are doing or use the bitstream. I think I've reached a decision to simply avoid any attempt to send the LPCM output over HDMI and enjoy my toys.
post #644 of 1693 Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 AM

Liked: 19
The other option is to dim the lights on the receiver and the player if they're in the line of site, and only watch the movie
post #645 of 1693 Old 08-09-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic View Post

The other option is to dim the lights on the receiver and the player if they're in the line of site, and only watch the movie

Fer shure, dude!

What do I do about my habit of listening to music? I know it's passe'.
post #646 of 1693 Old 08-18-2009, 08:06 PM

Hello all I hope you can help me? I just ordered the Denon AVR-3310ci and want to get the best sound from my PS3 on blue rays and games. So I want to run the hdmi from PS3 to my amp but will I need to run optical as well to get all audio tracks to my new amp? If I can get video&audio via HDMI what settings should I set in audio on the PS3 and should I use the trick of holding the power button for 6 secs or so the PS3 sets its own audio settings?
P.S. old unit is AVR-3200 with HDMI and Optical for sound?
Any help would be great and thanks in advance!
Michael
post #647 of 1693 Old 08-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Just purchased the Panny 54g10 Plasma and Panny BD 60 BluRay to use with an older Yamaha 5460 AVR. From reading here it looks like most recommend HDMI to tv and optical to the receiver. However, the 54g has a digital out and according to the manual it outputs a dolby 5.1 bitstream. If I used this to the AVR, is it the same as going straight to the AVR from each?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #648 of 1693 Old 08-21-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi83 View Post

Hello all I hope you can help me? I just ordered the Denon AVR-3310ci and want to get the best sound from my PS3 on blue rays and games. So I want to run the hdmi from PS3 to my amp but will I need to run optical as well to get all audio tracks to my new amp? If I can get video&audio via HDMI what settings should I set in audio on the PS3 and should I use the trick of holding the power button for 6 secs or so the PS3 sets its own audio settings?
P.S. old unit is AVR-3200 with HDMI and Optical for sound?
Any help would be great and thanks in advance!
Michael

No, just run HDMI from the PS3 to the AVR and then HDMI from that to the TV.

I've never heard of the power button trick you are talking about so can't help you there. Basically you want the PS3 to decode all audio and output it as PCM to the AVR.
post #649 of 1693 Old 08-21-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallsilver View Post

Just purchased the Panny 54g10 Plasma and Panny BD 60 BluRay to use with an older Yamaha 5460 AVR. From reading here it looks like most recommend HDMI to tv and optical to the receiver. However, the 54g has a digital out and according to the manual it outputs a dolby 5.1 bitstream. If I used this to the AVR, is it the same as going straight to the AVR from each?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

The only reason to go from the TV back to the AVR is if you have cable, etc, connected directly to the TV (no cable box) and you want this audio input to the AVR.

There is ZERO advantage for Blu-Ray of doing this for your audio, and it can make things worse since the TV is probably incapable of decoding all of the formats that the player can format.

So, your original idea was correct, just connect HDMI from the BD player to the TV and optical from the BD player to the AVR.
post #650 of 1693 Old 08-21-2009, 01:32 PM

Thank you sir! I appreciate the quick response. Now to finish the setup and watch the new Panny!!
post #651 of 1693 Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Since it appears that most blu ray players don't allow hdmi & component outputs to be active at the same time........how can I accomplish being able to connect a blu ray player to my receiver via hdmi for the latest sound formats, but still be able to watch the blu ray with tv sound. I don't want to have to go into the blu ray's setup menu each time & make a change. Is there some work around to accomplish this? What about something that "splits" the hdmi signal from the player to the receiver & to the tv...would that work? Any suggestions?

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #652 of 1693 Old 08-25-2009, 03:34 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post

Since it appears that most blu ray players don't allow hdmi & component outputs to be active at the same time........how can I accomplish being able to connect a blu ray player to my receiver via hdmi for the latest sound formats, but still be able to watch the blu ray with tv sound. I don't want to have to go into the blu ray's setup menu each time & make a change. Is there some work around to accomplish this? What about something that "splits" the hdmi signal from the player to the receiver & to the tv...would that work? Any suggestions?

The OPPO BDP-83 does what you want: Are component and HDMI outputs active at the same time?

-Bill
post #653 of 1693 Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM

hi
i wanna buy a blue ray player & A/V Receiver and i just want to know:
to get DTS HD or Dolby true HD quality from a home thater system is it necessary both B-R Player & A/V Receiver decode these formats ?
or it is possible my blue ray support these format and A/V receiver just support DTS or dolby prologic ?
Tanx
post #654 of 1693 Old 08-25-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Either/or.

If the player can decode both, it will send them as PCM over HDMI, so the AVR only needs to support multichannel PCM over HDMI. If the player can only bitstream both, then the AVR needs to decode both.
post #655 of 1693 Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you run everything through your receiver, you can choose to use the surround speakers or the TV speakers with most players. But, of course, the receiver would need to be on, even if you aren't using it to process sound. And, some combinations of TV, AVR, and player may produce stereo instead of surround sound, depending on the AVR settings.

Panasonic players also allow both outputs to be active at the same time and will work the way you want.
post #656 of 1693 Old 08-26-2009, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Would you know which Panasonic players?

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #657 of 1693 Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you know which Panasonic players?

The current BD60/80 line and the recently discontinued BD35/55 models. The older models may, too, although I've never checked on those myself. But, you should read the BD60/80 thread. There appears to be a random freezing problem with BD playback that affects some players.
post #658 of 1693 Old 08-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Guy's
I have searched for answer for the last couple of hours.
I have a dedicated two channel stereo system. I would like to play the high res formats, trueHD, and DTSHD.
Will the Oppo, or any other method allow me to do so?
My preamp is a Cary SLP98ph, and I do have a pioneer elite 1150 with HDMI inputs and stereo-sub outputs.
Thanks
Gary
post #659 of 1693 Old 08-30-2009, 02:47 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gleave View Post

Hi Guy's
I have searched for answer for the last couple of hours.
I have a dedicated two channel stereo system. I would like to play the high res formats, trueHD, and DTSHD.
Will the Oppo, or any other method allow me to do so?
My preamp is a Cary SLP98ph, and I do have a pioneer elite 1150 with HDMI inputs and stereo-sub outputs.
Thanks
Gary

You can downmix the multichannel audio to stereo. The OPPO has dedicated 2-channel outputs which have been well-reviewed for the price.

-Bill
post #660 of 1693 Old 09-04-2009, 04:51 PM

Hi all,
I've been digging thru this sticky trying to figure out my audio problem. I just bought a Samsung 1590. I have an older H/K AVR300 5.1 receiver which I've connected to the 1590 via optical cable (no HDMI on the AVR300), and HDMI from the 1590 to my 47" Olevia LCD. I setup the 1590 audio as "Bitstream (re-encode)". When I play a Disney's "Earth" bluray disc, I get 5.1 DTS....sounds great, so that's good. However, when I play Netflix streaming, I'm getting 2.0 DTS. Huh? If I get 2.0 DTS, I would think I should be able to get 5.1 DTS on Netflix. The PQ on Netflix looks great...no problems there and I'm getting a very strong (all bars) signal. Any thoughts?

The 3 options on the 1590 are: PCM, Bitstream (re-encode), and Bitstream (Audiophile).

Thanks, Mike
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page