Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 25 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here

Blu-ray Players

bassfshr02's Avatar bassfshr02
07:01 PM Liked: 10
post #721 of 1706
10-18-2009 | Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 2009
I just purchased a Pioneer BDP120 BluRay player and I hooked it up to my 1018AV reciever via HDMI to BD connection. When I play a disk the only audio that I get is the background noise, I get no dialouge at all.

Help?
kev999's Avatar kev999
11:17 PM Liked: 10
post #722 of 1706
10-21-2009 | Posts: 135
Joined: Feb 2007
i'm using Denon AVR2310CI, i've been having tough time getting audio when watching movies supports DTS HD audio format. i set the audio setting of the BD player to bit streaming HD according to the manual but i was able to get the audio for the previews and menu musics, but as soon as it gets to the feature movie that runs DTS-HD MSTR, all of sudden i hear no sound. funny thing is if i cycling through the available audio channels more than once or if i fast foward to the next track, the audio does come back sometimes. anyone else having this problem? i'm been through two BD players already, samsung 1600 and Insignia, they all had the same problem.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander
09:05 AM Liked: 135
post #723 of 1706
10-22-2009 | Posts: 8,593
Joined: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev999 View Post

i'm using Denon AVR2310CI, i've been having tough time getting audio when watching movies supports DTS HD audio format. i set the audio setting of the BD player to bit streaming HD according to the manual but i was able to get the audio for the previews and menu musics, but as soon as it gets to the feature movie that runs DTS-HD MSTR, all of sudden i hear no sound. funny thing is if i cycling through the available audio channels more than once or if i fast foward to the next track, the audio does come back sometimes. anyone else having this problem? i'm been through two BD players already, samsung 1600 and Insignia, they all had the same problem.

Is your Denon input set to Auto? Since you've had the same problem with more than one player, the problem is likely on the receiver side. From your description, it appears your Denon is set in a way where it does not process DTS.
kev999's Avatar kev999
09:45 AM Liked: 10
post #724 of 1706
10-22-2009 | Posts: 135
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Is your Denon input set to Auto? Since you've had the same problem with more than one player, the problem is likely on the receiver side. From your description, it appears your Denon is set in a way where it does not process DTS.

the Denon is getting the DTS-HD signal as evident by the blue HD Audio light lit up on the front lcd of the receiver. however, there is no sound, but not all the time, sometimes when i skip over a chapter and boom, the sound comes back. could it be the hdmi cable problem?
nUtAehaRBK's Avatar nUtAehaRBK
10:12 PM Liked: 10
post #725 of 1706
10-22-2009 | Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 2009
2 questions.
I just received a Samsung PN58B650. I upgraded from a Standard Definition TV set.
I have an older 6.1 onkyo ht-r510 reciever. It does not have HDMI nor decode the HD lossless sound tracks. But does have 5.1 analog "multi-channel connections". The analog inputs are only 5.1 despite it being a 6.1 receiver.
I would like to be able to play the lossless HD soundtracks from blueray.

1. If I purchase a LG BD 390 and use its analog outputs to my receiver, will I get the lossless HD decoded correctly?

2. If the above works correctly, is 5.1 lossless better than 6.1 lossey through the optical feed?

Thank you for you help.
Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson
10:13 PM Liked: 142
post #726 of 1706
10-22-2009 | Posts: 28,494
Joined: Mar 2004
Yes to both questions.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander
07:48 AM Liked: 135
post #727 of 1706
10-23-2009 | Posts: 8,593
Joined: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUtAehaRBK View Post

2. If the above works correctly, is 5.1 lossless better than 6.1 lossey through the optical feed?

That depends.

DD and DTS on Blu-ray are encoded at the maximum legacy bitrates and they sound great. So, depending on the relative abilities of your player and receiver for audio processing such as bass management and the digital-analog conversion, you may not find much, if any improvement, from analog lossless.

And, if you have the rear speaker hooked up, it will be silent with analog. If the rear speaker adds to your listening experience, you may find the high bitrate lossy versions are better.
illcrushem's Avatar illcrushem
11:03 PM Liked: 10
post #728 of 1706
10-29-2009 | Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 2009
Hey total newbie here. Just picked up an LG 42LH30 as well as an LG LHB953. I've been trying to figure out how I can get the sound to play through the speakers of the home theater system rather than the television, but all I could find on the internet is that I need to create "separate connections." I have no clue what that means so if anyone could please clarify for me what I need to do to make it happen, it would be much appreciated. Oh, I also have an XBox360 which I would like to set-up to this system as well, so if that requires anything extra please let me know. Again thanks so much.

Charlie
BIslander's Avatar BIslander
08:35 PM Liked: 135
post #729 of 1706
10-30-2009 | Posts: 8,593
Joined: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcrushem View Post

I've been trying to figure out how I can get the sound to play through the speakers of the home theater system rather than the television, but all I could find on the internet is that I need to create "separate connections." I have no clue what that means so if anyone could please clarify for me what I need to do to make it happen, it would be much appreciated.

Well, you need to connect an output of your TV source to your home theater system. Do you have cable or satellite or are you using an off antenna for reception? If you have a settop box, you'd likely need to run an optical cable from the box to your receiver. If you have an off air antenna, you'd need to use an optical connection from the TV to the receiver.

Quote:


Oh, I also have an XBox360 which I would like to set-up to this system as well, so if that requires anything extra please let me know.

Start with the TV. Then work on the other devices.
illcrushem's Avatar illcrushem
06:10 AM Liked: 10
post #730 of 1706
11-02-2009 | Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 2009
Hey, thanks! I ended up connecting everything to the television and then running an optical cable from the television to the receiver and it seems to have worked almost perfectly. For some reason, the sound from my 360 is not being played through the surround sound. I have an HDMI cable going from the 350 to the television and assumed that the sound would travel through the HDMI cable to the television, and then from the television to the receiver, but that doesn't seem to be working. I noticed the Xbox 360 HDMI cable came with a separate audio connection, but I figured that it was unnecessary, am I wrong?
BIslander's Avatar BIslander
06:50 AM Liked: 135
post #731 of 1706
11-02-2009 | Posts: 8,593
Joined: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcrushem View Post

Hey, thanks! I ended up connecting everything to the television and then running an optical cable from the television to the receiver and it seems to have worked almost perfectly.

Are you actually getting Dolby Digital 5.1 from your TV to your surround system? Most TVs only output stereo instead of surround sound when hooked up that way. In order to get real surrouind sound, you will probably need to run video to the TV and a separate digital audio connection to your sound system.

Quote:


For some reason, the sound from my 360 is not being played through the surround sound. I have an HDMI cable going from the 350 to the television and assumed that the sound would travel through the HDMI cable to the television, and then from the television to the receiver, but that doesn't seem to be working. I noticed the Xbox 360 HDMI cable came with a separate audio connection, but I figured that it was unnecessary, am I wrong?

Do you hear audio from your Xbox on the TV? If the your television audio hookup works, what's different with the Xbox hookup?
jimmackale's Avatar jimmackale
03:52 PM Liked: 10
post #732 of 1706
11-02-2009 | Posts: 22
Joined: Dec 2005
i have an older non hdmi reciever and i would like to hook the panny bd80 up both with 7.1 analog(my reciever does have 7.1 dolby pro logic iix with 7 speakers) for the new lossless decoding from the player and also optical cable for the legacy 5.1 codecs the panny does not support, but my reciever does, like DTS 96/24, ES, ES Matrix, and Neo:6. Do the analog and digital outputs operate simultaneously and independently meaning i can set up both once and switch between the two depending on what the BR disk carries? Or do i have to use analog output cables only and change the analog speaker setups every time i switch between the player decoding lossless or my reciever decoding the legacy digital codecs? Can anyone help me with this advanced setup for the panny bd80? Thank You.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander
05:38 AM Liked: 135
post #733 of 1706
11-03-2009 | Posts: 8,593
Joined: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmackale View Post

i have an older non hdmi reciever and i would like to hook the panny bd80 up both with 7.1 analog(my reciever does have 7.1 dolby pro logic iix with 7 speakers) for the new lossless decoding from the player and also optical cable for the legacy 5.1 codecs the panny does not support, but my reciever does, like DTS 96/24, ES, ES Matrix, and Neo:6. Do the analog and digital outputs operate simultaneously and independently meaning i can set up both once and switch between the two depending on what the BR disk carries? Or do i have to use analog output cables only and change the analog speaker setups every time i switch between the player decoding lossless or my reciever decoding the legacy digital codecs? Can anyone help me with this advanced setup for the panny bd80? Thank You.

They are both active at the same time. Set the digital outputs for DD and DTS to Bitstream and set Secondary Audio to Off. Simply change inputs on your receiver depending on the source material.
smargita's Avatar smargita
07:13 AM Liked: 10
post #734 of 1706
11-03-2009 | Posts: 2
Joined: Nov 2009
I am not sure of how to configure a blu ray player. I have not purchased one yet, but am trying to figure out which I should get. I have an older AV reciever that has 5.1 Multichannel inputs so I can take advantage of the new formats.
My question is how to set the connections to be able to use the blu ray player for CDs and standard DVDs as well. If I purchase a Blu Ray player that decodes the newer formats and sends them out the 5.1 analog outputs, what happens when I play a DVD or CD? Will I need to also connect the digital audio connections too? If so, then on my receiver, wlil I need to constantly change the audio input settings for that source when I go between different media?
I am hoping the player will automatically convert all audio formats including the CD, DVDs and new audio formats into the analog 5.1 that my receiver will accept.
Please help!
Thanks,
-Steve
501transpo's Avatar 501transpo
04:16 PM Liked: 10
post #735 of 1706
11-03-2009 | Posts: 139
Joined: Nov 2009
I just ordered a Denon DVD3800 and will be using it with 7.1 analog to a Bryston 1.7 processor. I am presently using an Outlaw external bass manager. Should I use the DVD3800 bass management or continue with the external unit? (It would be nice to upgrade to the new Bryston but $13k+, Yikes)

Steve
jimmackale's Avatar jimmackale
05:36 PM Liked: 10
post #736 of 1706
11-03-2009 | Posts: 22
Joined: Dec 2005
Smargita, The new lossless audio formats are 7.1 so your 5.1 analog inputs wont quite cut it. I'm not sure how SACD or the like plays best but unless you have 5.1 cd's then 2 channel stereo plus sub is best for music IMO. Typically for the 5.1 movie surround formats an optical connection works great if your old reciever has them. You just change the audio selector to your preference on the reciever for the type of disk you have playing
smargita's Avatar smargita
10:27 PM Liked: 10
post #737 of 1706
11-03-2009 | Posts: 2
Joined: Nov 2009
Assuming the HDMI cable is only used for the video portion of the signal, which is the best way to connect the audio considering I only have a 5.1 speaker setup?

I realize that the new Blu Ray discs have all kinds of other audio formats that I can only take advantage of with 7.1 speaker systems.

Is there a noticeable difference between the Blu Ray player sending the coax or optical digital audio version to my receiver- or the full resolution HD signals coming from the player converted to a 5.1 speaker system?

I am under the impression that the Multichannel option will sound better.
That said, what happens when I play a 7.1 blu ray? Does the player downmix to 5.1?

What happens when I play a CD or standard DVD? Will the player adjust the audio accordingly to send the signal out to the 5.1 Multi channel analog outputs?
Thanks!
-Steve
rdclark's Avatar rdclark
08:36 AM Liked: 196
post #738 of 1706
11-04-2009 | Posts: 4,177
Joined: Sep 2003
Any player with analog outputs can be configured for 5.1, just like any 7.1 AVR can. When you set it up you tell it what speakers are present. The player will combine the surrounds and back-surrounds when playing 7.1 content on a 5.1 system.



This business of "Blu-ray is a 7.1 format" is a myth. It's capable of 7.1, but doesn't require it. Most Blu-ray discs don't actually have 7.1 audio anyway.

Without HDMI or analog multichannel audio, connect to the AVR using an optical cable. You will still hear the high-bitrate lossy "core" versions of the hi-rez audio tracks on your Blu-ray discs, and it will sound great.

If you are using analog audio, the player will basically send the number of channels on the disk after decoding (DVD or Blu-ray). It will send 2-channel from CDs. Your AVR should have a way to automatically add processing to 2-channel signals, creating fake 5.1, if you want it to.
Blipstein's Avatar Blipstein
07:25 PM Liked: 10
post #739 of 1706
11-04-2009 | Posts: 31
Joined: Feb 2006
Hey guys,
I am having a bit of an issue with my PS3 audio signal. I have done a bunch of searching in various forums and found a lot of good stuff but a few things are still unclear to me. I am hoping you guys can help me out.

When I watch a BD on a PS3 it seems that I can only receive a PCM signal on my receiver (Pioneer 1019) when using HDMI. The receiver will not decode DTS or DD. I have tried every possible audio output setting on the PS3 with no other result than "PCM". It seems like it's in 5.1 but not very good quality. The DD signal from my DVD player sounded much better. It seems like the PS3 has limitations on this department. Can I achieve DTS or DD via HDMI?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
jmpage2's Avatar jmpage2
10:31 PM Liked: 77
post #740 of 1706
11-04-2009 | Posts: 10,053
Joined: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipstein View Post

Hey guys,
I am having a bit of an issue with my PS3 audio signal. I have done a bunch of searching in various forums and found a lot of good stuff but a few things are still unclear to me. I am hoping you guys can help me out.

When I watch a BD on a PS3 it seems that I can only receive a PCM signal on my receiver (Pioneer 1019) when using HDMI. The receiver will not decode DTS or DD. I have tried every possible audio output setting on the PS3 with no other result than "PCM". It seems like it's in 5.1 but not very good quality. The DD signal from my DVD player sounded much better. It seems like the PS3 has limitations on this department. Can I achieve DTS or DD via HDMI?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

The original PS3 models do not support bitstream to your receiver. They will decode the DTS-MAHD and Dolby True-HD tracks to PCM which should sound every bit as good on your receiver as if they were being bitstreamed.

You can verify what track the PS3 is sending as PCM data by simply pulling up the info display on the PS3 remote or controller (green triangle button).

Note that depending on the Blu-ray title you might have to explicitly select the high bitrate track in that titles options menu.
bonscott's Avatar bonscott
11:16 AM Liked: 10
post #741 of 1706
11-05-2009 | Posts: 311
Joined: Jan 2006
I have a blu-ray player that does not support DTS-MA. Sony BDP-S500. When I select DTS-MA on a disc it shows DTS Surround on my Denon Amp. However the sound is alot better then when I select DTS on a regular DVD. How much improvement if any would I get with replacing the Sony with a current player that would support DTS-MA?
Vive Ardyss's Avatar Vive Ardyss
07:00 PM Liked: 10
post #742 of 1706
11-05-2009 | Posts: 143
Joined: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott View Post

I have a blu-ray player that does not support DTS-MA. Sony BDP-S500. When I select DTS-MA on a disc it shows DTS Surround on my Denon Amp. However the sound is alot better then when I select DTS on a regular DVD. How much improvement if any would I get with replacing the Sony with a current player that would support DTS-MA?

This is something that I, and many others I know, have been contemplating since the launch of the format with titles that carry MA mixes; my player, as well, doesn't support Master Audio at all and instead uses the DTS core extraction upon playback of MA tracks. While these sound as good as a well-mixed DTS track on a DVD, I have been wondering just what benefit will be yielded once I get a new player that puts out MA bitstreams and the lossless extension will be finally granted; what surprises me is your statement regarding "getting much better sound as compared to DTS on a regular DVD" when your Denon amp/receiver indicates its decoding a standard DTS signal from a Blu-ray...I don't hear a tremendous difference at all between DVD DTS tracks and Blu-ray DTS tracks...

That said, I have been told that the lossless MA extensions are NOT night-and-day jumps over listening to the CORE DTS signals extracted off of Blu-rays (which is what you and I are doing right now) but that they ARE much better (and can be heard) than a DVD's DTS track...I don't know if this is so, but I suppose it makes sense. I also read from a member here (cannot for the life of me recall his name nor what thread I saw it under) who claimed the lossless MA tracks (and I think he mentioned Dolby TrueHD as well) are NOT nearly as "wonderful" as everyone and studios are making them out to be, that there's no real sonic benefit and the real difference is that they're given more "breathing room" on the Blu-rays in terms of compression, etc...I don't know if that's so, but it concerned me.
Upgrade's Avatar Upgrade
07:47 PM Liked: 10
post #743 of 1706
11-05-2009 | Posts: 48
Joined: Dec 2006
I have had a PS3 for over a year now and I have consistently been disappointed by the sound from my Blu-Ray movies. I was expecting to be blown away by the next generation audio codecs, but instead I have always been let down and it has left me thinking that I must have something set up incorrectly. With "Heat" about to arrive in a few weeks, I figured I needed to seek some advice.

My fat PS3 is hooked up to a Yamaha VX-663 receiver via HDMI and I have a 5.1 JBL speaker set up (CS480BG 6-Piece Home Cinema Speaker Package). When blu-ray movies are playing, the PS3 info bar indicates a TrueHD or DTS-Master track and my receiver indicates a PCM signal, so I am pretty sure I have that squared away. Dynamic range control is turned off on the receiver.

The things I notice that I am not satisfied with are:
1. The volume is always too low on blu-ray movies. I always have to turn the receiver volume way up past where I would normally have it for TV in order to hear a blu-ray. The dialogue is especially hard to hear. I turned up the volume on the center channel but that did not help as much as I thought it would.
2. The quality of the sound is not what I thought it would be. I have never been in awe or even startled at a surround effect from a blu-ray. Just the other day I jumped during a TV commerical because the effects in the Dolby Digital signal were so great. I knew at that point I must have set up the PS3 or receiver incorrectly.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and is there something I could change on the receiver or PS3 to get better sound performance from my blu-ray experience?
Vive Ardyss's Avatar Vive Ardyss
08:16 PM Liked: 10
post #744 of 1706
11-05-2009 | Posts: 143
Joined: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post

I have had a PS3 for over a year now and I have consistently been disappointed by the sound from my Blu-Ray movies. I was expecting to be blown away by the next generation audio codecs, but instead I have always been let down and it has left me thinking that I must have something set up incorrectly. With "Heat" about to arrive in a few weeks, I figured I needed to seek some advice.

My fat PS3 is hooked up to a Yamaha VX-663 receiver via HDMI and I have a 5.1 JBL speaker set up (CS480BG 6-Piece Home Cinema Speaker Package). When blu-ray movies are playing, the PS3 info bar indicates a TrueHD or DTS-Master track and my receiver indicates a PCM signal, so I am pretty sure I have that squared away. Dynamic range control is turned off on the receiver.

The things I notice that I am not satisfied with are:
1. The volume is always too low on blu-ray movies. I always have to turn the receiver volume way up past where I would normally have it for TV in order to hear a blu-ray. The dialogue is especially hard to hear. I turned up the volume on the center channel but that did not help as much as I thought it would.
2. The quality of the sound is not what I thought it would be. I have never been in awe or even startled at a surround effect from a blu-ray. Just the other day I jumped during a TV commerical because the effects in the Dolby Digital signal were so great. I knew at that point I must have set up the PS3 or receiver incorrectly.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and is there something I could change on the receiver or PS3 to get better sound performance from my blu-ray experience?

I have ABSOLUTELY related to what you are describing, and I still continue to relate to it today...let me address some of the elements you outline above...

First of all, I, too, was preparing to be absolutely smitten and blown away with my first experience of Dolby TrueHD (my player is a first-generation deck that doesn't support Master Audio at all) -- but I wasn't, and still not. The volume issue you describe above is exactly what I experience with every TrueHD-equipped disc I sample, even though you and I have different players and possibly different setups. I don't know how you have your PS3 running (unless I missed it in your post, if so, forgive me) but my player is going HDMI OUT for all audio and video...no analog connections or component feeds (which is an analog video stream). Now, my player does not bitstream the TrueHD codec, so I set its TrueHD output to "PCM" so the player decodes the soundtrack and sends it over HDMI as multichannel PCM -- my receiver then reads "MULTICH" as the listening mode, as you say yours does, so that's correct from all accounts so far (the receiver doesn't "know" exactly what codec is coming over its analog or HDMI interface in this method, it just plays back the decoded PCM signal from the source deck, so that's why "MULTICH" or "DIRECT" illuminates on the receiver).

I have been using this "internally decoded to PCM" method for a good two years now since I've owned my first generation player, where it's sending the decoded TrueHD over HDMI as PCM, but aside from what every professional swears to, that this should sound NO different from bitstreamed signals, I can swear that the TrueHD experience is severely lacking somewhere. You are right -- volume levels are way lower than when playing back bitstreamed signals of Dolby Digital and DTS, and dialogue is especially difficult to make out on most discs. "The Dark Knight" on Blu-ray has sonically wild audio once the action heats up, but I can't make out what some characters are saying if my master volume is too low -- and my center channel is 2 dBs higher than the rest for compensation. It just doesn't "satisfy" in the way that I thought it would...Dolby TrueHD, that is. I find myself comparing lossy Dolby Digital tracks and TrueHD tracks on the same disc, when they're equipped that way, and the lossy Dolby mixes always sound heavier and punchier than the TrueHD ones, the Dolby tracks bitstreamed from my player. I thought it would be the other way around; from what I have been told, though, "lossless" has nothing to do with "volume output" and a track being "hotter" which is what I thought uncompressed would do -- there's supposed to be much more dynamic range and detail in the audio mix, but to be honest, I just don't hear it...they all sound like Dolby Digital or DTS tracks to me, just lower in output.

Now, with MASTER AUDIO, that's a whole different ballgame on my system -- because my player doesn't support this codec at all, it extracts a core DTS signal from Master Audio mixes and plays that back as bitstreamed to my receiver...and these sound like good DTS tracks on DVDs to my ears, not anything spectacularly better or with "more detail"...although there are a couple of titles on Blu, like "Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" and "The Incredible Hulk," which sound absolutely incredible and lifelike in its DTS core extraction from the Master Audio stream. I have been hearing that the lossless extension of these MA tracks aren't going to be night and day over hearing the core extraction, once I get equipment that can support Master Audio, but that they WILL sound better than DVDs with DTS tracks. This has all been so frustrating since the format arrived.

So, yes, your situation in terms of sheer volume power and "lack of startling effects" on Blu-rays with TrueHD is definitely not unique at least in my experience; I recently replaced by "Casino Royale" DVD with the latest Collector's Edition of it on Blu, and the Blu-ray's Dolby TrueHD didn't impress me in the least compared to the DVD's Dolby Digital track -- from the very start, the bass on the TrueHD mix was lacking (although I AM using a player that has a known "LFE bug" of some sort that reduces bass over HDMI when the player is doing the decoding to multichannel PCM, as mine is)...but beyond that, the Dolby Digital mix on the DVD was just so much more jarring and "alive." The same wild surround effects were there from the DVD's audio track -- but the Blu-ray didn't impress me with its TrueHD mix.

I'm hoping this "clears up" or somehow "gets better" when I finally get a new player that can bitstream TrueHD and Master Audio to my HDMI 1.3a receiver, but the reports about this are a bit hazy; some say there is absolutely NO difference in letting the player do the decoding to PCM, or having the player pass the bitstream signal to the processor/receiver...all I know is that I agree with the points you have made above with regard to your PS3 and its unsatisfying TrueHD delivery.
bonscott's Avatar bonscott
09:55 PM Liked: 10
post #745 of 1706
11-05-2009 | Posts: 311
Joined: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vive Ardyss View Post

This is something that I, and many others I know, have been contemplating since the launch of the format with titles that carry MA mixes; my player, as well, doesn't support Master Audio at all and instead uses the DTS core extraction upon playback of MA tracks. While these sound as good as a well-mixed DTS track on a DVD, I have been wondering just what benefit will be yielded once I get a new player that puts out MA bitstreams and the lossless extension will be finally granted; what surprises me is your statement regarding "getting much better sound as compared to DTS on a regular DVD" when your Denon amp/receiver indicates its decoding a standard DTS signal from a Blu-ray...I don't hear a tremendous difference at all between DVD DTS tracks and Blu-ray DTS tracks...

That said, I have been told that the lossless MA extensions are NOT night-and-day jumps over listening to the CORE DTS signals extracted off of Blu-rays (which is what you and I are doing right now) but that they ARE much better (and can be heard) than a DVD's DTS track...I don't know if this is so, but I suppose it makes sense. I also read from a member here (cannot for the life of me recall his name nor what thread I saw it under) who claimed the lossless MA tracks (and I think he mentioned Dolby TrueHD as well) are NOT nearly as "wonderful" as everyone and studios are making them out to be, that there's no real sonic benefit and the real difference is that they're given more "breathing room" on the Blu-rays in terms of compression, etc...I don't know if that's so, but it concerned me.

I dont know about all titles on blu-ray but ones that have alot of bass and action scenes they seem to pack a way bigger punch then the standard dvd. Some movies sound better then others regardless of bluray or dvd. So its hard to compare. I guess if it were apples to apples the decision would be easy
jmpage2's Avatar jmpage2
09:58 PM Liked: 77
post #746 of 1706
11-05-2009 | Posts: 10,053
Joined: Feb 2005
I don't know what to tell you guys. This is an audio set up thread. If you have a specific audio set up question this is the place to ASK that question. Not the place to gripe about audio performance.

I have a mid level system consisting of a Yamaha RXV1800 AVR, Boston Acoustics 5 channel speakers and an SVS 10" subwoofer.

The sound from my PS3 is simply amazing and has not failed to impress anyone who has watched movies at my home.

If you are so convinced that your PS3 and PCM is a problem then by all means purchase something else and put it to the test. You can now readily find players that bitstream all advanced codecs for under $200.
Vive Ardyss's Avatar Vive Ardyss
11:14 PM Liked: 10
post #747 of 1706
11-05-2009 | Posts: 143
Joined: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott View Post

I dont know about all titles on blu-ray but ones that have alot of bass and action scenes they seem to pack a way bigger punch then the standard dvd. Some movies sound better then others regardless of bluray or dvd. So its hard to compare. I guess if it were apples to apples the decision would be easy

I've compared a s!@!t load of DVDs to Blu-rays already, and have A/B'ed their lossy and lossless mixes, and the lossy tracks always sound more heady and "heavy" with a great deal more tactile LFE -- as I mentioned, there may be a decoding "issue" with my player, but I'm being told it shouldn't matter whether it's being bitstreamed or decoded in the player...
Vive Ardyss's Avatar Vive Ardyss
11:18 PM Liked: 10
post #748 of 1706
11-05-2009 | Posts: 143
Joined: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I don't know what to tell you guys. This is an audio set up thread. If you have a specific audio set up question this is the place to ASK that question. Not the place to gripe about audio performance.

Jeez. Calm down a little; he was only asking a question and trying to determine what his problem was.

Quote:


I have a mid level system consisting of a Yamaha RXV1800 AVR, Boston Acoustics 5 channel speakers and an SVS 10" subwoofer.

My system is mid level as well, and the new surround codecs don't impress me.

Quote:


The sound from my PS3 is simply amazing and has not failed to impress anyone who has watched movies at my home.

Sure -- I can say the same thing about standard DVD soundtracks that I let people demo at my home; they are blown away by DTS tracks like on Superbits of Black Hawk Down, Bad Boys II... That doesn't mean that I don't have issues or hear differences between all these codecs; believe me, my ear is much more sensitive and critical of a film's soundtrack in my own HT than anyone that visits casually.
Upgrade's Avatar Upgrade
11:44 PM Liked: 10
post #749 of 1706
11-05-2009 | Posts: 48
Joined: Dec 2006
Wow jmpage2, thank you for reminding me why I have not posted here in a long, long time. (I thought I was asking a set up question and after re-reading my post, I am still pretty sure that it makes clear that I felt I must have set something up incorrectly and that it was not merely a "gripe".)

To anyone else here who might have some insight: could the issue I described have anything to do with the PCM signal and volume control? I had read somewhere else that b/c a PCM signal is sent to the receiver the volume level is controlled completely in the receiver (and not controlled at all in the source, as say a Dolby Digital signal can be from my cable box).

Something has to explain why the loudest volume on my receiver that I can tolerate while watching a Dolby Digital signal from the TV is -30 while I regularly have to crank the receiver up to -15 or more while watching blu-ray movies.

Just to re-iterate: this is not a general complaint about these new codecs or bitstreaming or whatever, I think I have set something up incorrectly and would like "Blu Ray Player Audio Setup" advice. I would really like to get everything out of my blu-ray viewing experience. Thanks.
jmpage2's Avatar jmpage2
09:47 AM Liked: 77
post #750 of 1706
11-06-2009 | Posts: 10,053
Joined: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vive Ardyss View Post

Jeez. Calm down a little; he was only asking a question and trying to determine what his problem was.



My system is mid level as well, and the new surround codecs don't impress me.



Sure -- I can say the same thing about standard DVD soundtracks that I let people demo at my home; they are blown away by DTS tracks like on Superbits of Black Hawk Down, Bad Boys II... That doesn't mean that I don't have issues or hear differences between all these codecs; believe me, my ear is much more sensitive and critical of a film's soundtrack in my own HT than anyone that visits casually.

I have numerous copies of the same movie on both DVD and no Blu. The difference in audio between the new audio codecs and the new ones are extremely obvious and apparent even to non audiophiles.

If you aren't hearing those differences then I would say that you might have some major calibration issues going on or major set up issues with your AVR resulting in problems.

It also might be that you simply prefer the low bitrate stuff. Some people after all actually prefer the sound of 128kbps MP3 over the sound of a CD.
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player

Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3