Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlary View Post

I have my new Sony BDP S550 connected to my new B&K Ref 70. If I use the analog outputs from the player to the processor, I get 7.1 channels (I'm using the Blu-Ray "Rush Hour 3" which is encoded with DTS HD MA 7.1). If I use the HDMI connection for audio, I only get 5.1 channels. I wonder if the player is actually sending the full 7.1 channels over PCM?

What does the display on your receiver show? Is it getting 7.1 and outputting 5.1 or does it show a 5.1 input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy347 View Post

I have a Samsung 1500 BR player and i am using the optical out to my Rotel 1056 receiver.

Now i have noticed a huge improvment in surround sound when watching dolby true hd discs such as Dark Knight.

My question is am i hearing Dolby True HD when using optical out or can this sound format only be accessed when using HDMI?

TrueHD, DTS-MA, and PCM can only be sent to the AVR with HDMI, unless the BD player does the decoding, in which case analog outs can be used.

You can only get regular DD and DTS with the optical.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy347 View Post

I have a Samsung 1500 BR player and i am using the optical out to my Rotel 1056 receiver.

Now i have noticed a huge improvment in surround sound when watching dolby true hd discs such as Dark Knight.

My question is am i hearing Dolby True HD when using optical out or can this sound format only be accessed when using HDMI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

TrueHD, DTS-MA, and PCM can only be sent to the AVR with HDMI, unless the BD player does the decoding, in which case analog outs can be used.

You can only get regular DD and DTS with the optical.

True. But, DD and DTS are encoded at higher bit rates on BD than you get on DVD and they sound much better as a result. Some say they sound as good as lossless.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:26 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

... Some say they sound as good as lossless.

If that's the case, then there's no compelling reason to get the BD55 vs the BD35, correct?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goMO View Post

If that's the case, then there's no compelling reason to get the BD55 vs the BD35, correct?

Yes, that would be correct. But, ymmv. It pays to compare yourself.

Coax out, DivX, and vibration reducing feet are the other differences.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 PM

AVR DENON 3802 (no HDMI, OPT audio & 7ch analog)
BD Pioneer BDP-95FD

Currently using optical connection for audio to AVR. AVR set on auto & playback occurs in DD or DTS. Sounds great to me but I've heard I can get near HDMI quality from DTS-HD & D TrueHD if I use analog instead.

Question: The BD player is currently attached to the AVR with both optical and my analog cables. If I switch AVR to analog in (EXT in) the sound quality actually drops. Is there something else I need to do to get the analog out? I changed the BD player settings for DD & DTS to PCM (didn't change any Audio HDMI settings on BD player as I'm not using HDMI for audio)

Not sure if this should be in the BDP-95FD owners forum or here.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil99 View Post

BD Pioneer BDP-95FD

Currently using optical connection for audio to AVR. AVR set on auto & playback occurs in DD or DTS. Sounds great to me but I've heard I can get near HDMI quality from DTS-HD & D TrueHD if I use analog instead.

Question: The BD player is currently attached to the AVR with both optical and my analog cables. If I switch AVR to analog in (EXT in) the sound quality actually drops. Is there something else I need to do to get the analog out? I changed the BD player settings for DD & DTS to PCM (didn't change any Audio HDMI settings on BD player as I'm not using HDMI for audio)

Not sure if this should be in the BDP-95FD owners forum or here.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Your changing the wrong player setting. Change the HDMI setting to PCM for internal decoding, not the DD/DTS audio setting.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BD Pioneer BDP-95FD

Does the BDP-095FD now support dts-MA and TrueHD decoding? The last I'd heard, this player didn't do Master Audio decoding and TrueHD was supported for output over HDMI, but not analog. Has that changed? Lossless decoding is the only potential advantage to analog.

Quote:

The Denon speaker settings used for bass/time management and EQ are not used with the external inputs. So, you will need to do those setups in the player. LFE is also output 10db low over analog and needs to be boosted in your receiver.

Digital transmission has the advantage of using your Denon's signal processing and EQ, which are likely to better than the tools in the player. So, yes, you may find the optical connection gives you better sound. While the optical output is lossy DD or DTS, those formats are encoded at high bit rates on BD and sound great.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the BDP-095FD now support dts-MA and TrueHD decoding? The last I'd heard, this player didn't do Master Audio decoding and TrueHD was supported for output over HDMI, but not analog. Has that changed?

I believe this still holds true.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Hey thanks guys... I'll give that a try and see. I thought it did TrueHD (w/ HDMI.)

Again it sounds really good over optical but I want to get the most out of the BD's. Is replacing the AVR (I'd likely go Denon 3808) worth the money to get the audio of TrueHD & DTS-MA?? It's the "am I missing anything??" bug that has me asking the question.

Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey thanks guys... I'll give that a try and see. I thought it did TrueHD (w/ HDMI.)

Again it sounds really good over optical but I want to get the most out of the BD's. Is replacing the AVR (I'd likely go Denon 3808) worth the money to get the audio of TrueHD & DTS-MA?? It's the "am I missing anything??" bug that has me asking the question.

I'm one who believes the improvement of lossless over the higher bit rate versions of DD and DTS on Blu-ray is small to non-existent. Even though I felt that way in advance, I still waited for the BD55 before going Blu just because I wanted lossless for my non-HDMI receiver. I generally listen to BDs using analog, but I also have the player connected with coax.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again!

TrueHD decoded to LPCM via HDMI only.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM

Hey guys!!

HELP! I have a professionally mounted LCD 46" JVC TV in my living room. All the wires are inside the wall and they made a little plug behind it to. When it was mounted; it was just attached to the cable box and the DVD player.. (I know really nothing about this kind of stuff).. however the guy who mounted it sold me a "monster" cable for $115 in addition to the mounting. I know I got ripped.. so I am trying to be proactive this time. Now I have a new Blue Ray player.. Sony S550 that I need to be integrated, as well as a Wii. We have the Wii in the office now as that is the only TV where the inputs were exposed (all of our TV's are mounted). My fiancee knows less about this stuff than I do.. so theres no help there. We want to put the Wii and the BR player on the JVC.

What cables do I need to buy? I know the BR's need an HDMI cable.. can I use the one that I have from the DVD player..but I'm thinking maybe the "monster" cable is attached to the cable box for HD.. What's the best cable I should get? I found a place HDPI.us that has pretty cheap cables. Are these legit? Do I have to get another cable for the Wii or can they ones it came with work? They were only 3 bucks on this site so I was going to get a 3ft one..just in case the other one wasn't long enough.

Guys I'm such a newbie. Please help me.. And I apologize for all of the questions. Please offer any suggestions too.. that would make our viewing better. I just get mad that I can't do this stuff myself.. We're paying $105 for someone to come out to do this because we don't want to reck the tv or damage it because its mounted. But I'll be darned if they get me for some more money that I don't have to spend; which is why I want to have all the cables already.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

Your changing the wrong player setting. Change the HDMI setting to PCM for internal decoding, not the DD/DTS audio setting.

I just tried this and did not get better results... Do you also have to manually select a different audio track on the BD itself (setup menu)? So far the best combo is just using standard DD or DTS over optical. Also from what I'm hearing here dropping a G or 2 on a new AVR isn't likely good bang for the buck.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulosity View Post

Hey guys!!

HELP! I have a professionally mounted LCD 46" JVC TV in my living room. All the wires are inside the wall and they made a little plug behind it to. When it was mounted; it was just attached to the cable box and the DVD player.. (I know really nothing about this kind of stuff).. however the guy who mounted it sold me a "monster" cable for $115 in addition to the mounting. I know I got ripped.. so I am trying to be proactive this time. Now I have a new Blue Ray player.. Sony S550 that I need to be integrated, as well as a Wii. We have the Wii in the office now as that is the only TV where the inputs were exposed (all of our TV's are mounted). My fiancee knows less about this stuff than I do.. so theres no help there. We want to put the Wii and the BR player on the JVC.

What cables do I need to buy? I know the BR's need an HDMI cable.. can I use the one that I have from the DVD player..but I'm thinking maybe the "monster" cable is attached to the cable box for HD.. What's the best cable I should get? I found a place HDPI.us that has pretty cheap cables. Are these legit? Do I have to get another cable for the Wii or can they ones it came with work? They were only 3 bucks on this site so I was going to get a 3ft one..just in case the other one wasn't long enough.

Guys I'm such a newbie. Please help me.. And I apologize for all of the questions. Please offer any suggestions too.. that would make our viewing better. I just get mad that I can't do this stuff myself.. We're paying $105 for someone to come out to do this because we don't want to reck the tv or damage it because its mounted. But I'll be darned if they get me for some more money that I don't have to spend; which is why I want to have all the cables already.

Do you have a receiver and sound system? Receivers can act as switchers so that you only need one cable feeding your TV.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:37 PM

I'm having a weird audio problem. I have my unit set up this way: HDMI video to my XBR2, and coaxial digital audio to my Sony STR-DE985 receiver. The receiver can do Dolby Digital EX (3/3.1) and standard DTS (3/2.1). I have Dolby and DTS set to Direct on the BDP-S350 player.

With DVDs, Dolby and DTS both work fine, but virtually every Blu-ray disc I've tried has major drop-outs on the Dolby track. And it's not just during the main content - some of the Disney DVDs have a little intro screen in Dolby Digital, and that breaks up, too. And by breaks up, I mean that the receiver seems to lose and regain the Dolby signal. The picture, on the other hand, is rock-solid no matter what.

To complicate matters, I have two Blu-ray discs which have no high-resolution audio: The Last Samurai (Dolby 5.1 English and French, Dolby Digital 2.0 Spanish) and Planet Earth (Dolby 5.1 English only). The receiver plays the Dolby Digital stream flawlessly.

Now, to further complicate matters, if the disc has a DTS track, it works fine. The player downconverts from DTS-HD MA to core DTS and the receiver plays the DTS stream flawlessly. DTS should be coming out of the player at 1.5 Mbps (or at least 750 Kbps). This means that it's not bitrate per se that's the issue. Also, the highest rate that Dolby Digital can use is 640 Kbps, so if The Last Samurai is really encoded at that rate, then there must be some subtle difference between the way the player outputs a native 640 Kbps Dolby Digital stream and the way it downconverts a TrueHD stream to 640 Kbps Dolby Digital.

I tried a different coaxial digital cable, and I even switched to an optical digital cable. I get the exact same results every time.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulosity View Post

Hey guys!!

Thanks guys!

1. What kind of jacks do you have coming into/out of the wall, HDMI, Component video (red/greed/blue), RCA audio (red/white), composite/s-video (yellow)?

2. Do you intend to kee using the wall jacks or will you just run a cable without if need be?

I am assuming you are not running a receiver or surround system since you didn't say so.

The blu ray player needs HDMI to provide the best picture quality.

The cable box will provide equal quality through HDMI or Component video/RCA audio since cable outputs maximum 1080i. HDMI is probably easier and cheaper though

The Wii does not support HDMI so you will need to use component video/RCA audio cables for the best quality. I'd assume the Wii uses some sort of proprietary adapter that you can get from any game store. Your Wii will work fine with the stock cables, but i'm assuming those are Composite RCA (YRW). Component/RCA (RGB/RW) will provide better picture if you care about that.

I order all my cables from www.monoprice.com, they have great cables at very reasonable prices. They happen to be a forum sponsor too.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM

I'm new to BR. I've got a Panny BD-35 and a old legacy Denon AVR 3801 (yeah, I know, I should have bought the BD-55) hooked up using the Toslink. Anyway, the "Sleeping Beauty" disc has the DTS master HD 7.1 and a 4 channel remaster as the audio choices. My question is, my reciever is decoding the DTS soundtrack but is it downmixing to a DTS 5.1 mix or something else? It seems that the 4 channel mix is louder but not as full? Also, would this be the case on all discs?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Yes, that would be correct. But, ymmv. It pays to compare yourself.

Coax out, DivX, and vibration reducing feet are the other differences.

Yes it does. I switched from a PS3 to a Sony 550 for the analog outs, and on my older Yamaha receiver the lossless analogs sounds much better than the optical. Richer, cleaner and just a better balance.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Little setup help, I posted this in the Samsung 2550 thread before I found this one.

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR230, no HDMI but 6/8 channel direct input and the Samsung 2550 with 7.1 analog out. I ran the RCA cables from the BD analog outs to the exact same analog direct inputs on my receiver. Went to the audio setup screen on the BD player and selected speaker setup and turned of the surround back option. After I was done with that I ran a sound test and the surround fronts, center and subwoofer all made noise but my surround l&r did not. There are no settings for the 6 channel direct or 8 channel direct inputs on my receiver that I can even change to help. I have not tried a dvd yet and no BD at my house right now. I figured the test should work but it does not.

Any ideas?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
you turned on the surround back option? Your post says you turned it off. It could be a Samsung bug with their test program, etc. The only way to really know if it is working is to play a disc with the extra channel information and test it out that way.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwade View Post

I'm new to BR. I've got a Panny BD-35 and a old legacy Denon AVR 3801 (yeah, I know, I should have bought the BD-55) hooked up using the Toslink. Anyway, the "Sleeping Beauty" disc has the DTS master HD 7.1 and a 4 channel remaster as the audio choices. My question is, my reciever is decoding the DTS soundtrack but is it downmixing to a DTS 5.1 mix or something else? It seems that the 4 channel mix is louder but not as full? Also, would this be the case on all discs?

The Panasonic should be taking the DTS "core" audio 5.1 track from DTS-MA and giving that to you over toslink.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

you turned on the surround back option? Your post says you turned it off. It could be a Samsung bug with their test program, etc. The only way to really know if it is working is to play a disc with the extra channel information and test it out that way.

Yes, I turned it off because I do not actually have a 7.1 setup (had 6.1) but removed the one extra speaker and left the setup at 5.1. So I have surround front (2) surround (2) center and sub, and turned off the surround back (2).

I think it is a bug because I put a dvd in, non BD, and the surrounds (don't want to call them rear or surround back because they are not) worked fine.

Now the only problem I see is that the volume and sub are kinda low. I may hook up a Toslink cable also and use that for non BD movies and analog for BD movies.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It definitely sounds like some kind of bug with the test tones, you should check in the appropriate player thread and verify others can confirm the problem. It also might be fixed in newer firmware.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Hi,
So I current have my PS3 and HD Cable box going to my Sony home theater receiver (HT-SS2300) via HDMI. Then the receiver going to the Samsung LNT4071 TV via HDMI. I'm now getting a new tv that is HDMI v1.3 compatible. The problem is that I don't think the Sony receiver is v1.3 compatible. Should I still be running the PS3 through it to the TV? Will this mess up the v1.3 speeds? I would run the PS3 and cable box directly to the tv but the tv doesn't have an HDMI out. Should I run the PS3 and cable box directly to the TV then run an optical cable out to the receiver??? Please advise. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2009, 09:41 PM

If the receiver isn't 1.3 compatible, it just means it won't process the HDMI audio. It will still pass it through to your TV, so your audio will play through the TV speakers unless you run additional audio cables to the receiver and mute the TV.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkatmsu View Post

If the receiver isn't 1.3 compatible, it just means it won't process the HDMI audio. It will still pass it through to your TV, so your audio will play through the TV speakers unless you run additional audio cables to the receiver and mute the TV.

Not quite. v1.3 added optional transmission for "HD audio"--DTS-HD High Res and Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus, as well as Deep Color and a couple other minor things (updated HDMI CEC commands, some changes in voltages). All versions of HDMI (from 1.0 on) have been able to transmit 8 full channels of uncompressed 192 kHz/24 bit audio, as well as all forms of Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams.

Furthermore, the ability to proces HDMI audio (that is, send it to the receiver's amp instead of passing it through) has nothing to do with the version of HDMI. What determines that is how the receiver is wired, whether it's pass-through or has processing of HDMI signals. There probably is a receiver on the market with HDMI 1.3 that is only pass-through. Obviously such a thing wouldn't accept DTS-HD MA streams, but acceptance of the advanced audio streams is optional for 1.3 implementations. The PS3 has such an HDMI port. It is 1.3, since it suports the mandatory features of 1.3 (only an increase in bandwidth, actually), but lacks the ability to transmit TrueHD and MA bitstreams.

The OP is covered, because the receiver in question does accept LPCM over HDMI. It was designed to be used in conjunction with Blu-ray players, after all. The version of HDMI is pretty irrelevant in his case. No consumer devices actually output deep color, so that's not needed. The other features of HDMI 1.3 don't come into play.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Pioneer Elite VSX 59TXi for my receiver and the Sony PS3 for my BR player. I love the Elite, but it only does iLink or Analog, which makes me wonder so I replace the receiver to HDMI capable or look for a BluRay player that will go nicely with analog. Any thoughts on what to replace to get the best possible sound? I have until Archives comes out...

Thanks,

Keith
Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As far as player choice advice goes, you might want to check in the sticky thread at the top of this forum that deals with trying to select a BD player.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 AM

I´ve got this "problem" at home with my equipment.

Panasonic DMP-BD50
Marantz SR7001 receiver
KEF 2005.2 + 2 more satellite speakers.

Since my receiver can´t decode DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD I let my BD50 do the decoding and then send LPCM via HDMI to the receiver.
I also have "secondary audio" turned off.

On EVERY BD-disc that has DTS-HD MA, my receiver says "Multich 7.1" regardless if the movie is 5.1 or 7.1.
I get sound out of every speaker (and no, I don´t have the Pro LogicIIx turned on) as if there was a 7.1 soundtrack.

If I try a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack or PCM 5.1 it says "Multich 5.1".
If there is a 7.1 PCM soundtrack as in 3:10 to Yuma it says "Multich 7.1".

Does anyone recognize this "problem"?

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com