Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 1706 Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
What about other discs with DD 5.1 or DTS tracks that you play on the PS3? Do they get processed properly? Do you have another disc player you can try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1706 Old 06-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerh View Post

AVR is Pio 9040.Using BSG as source on Netflix.Hooked up from PS3 to avr using hdmi.No matter what settings I use can only get stereo-no 5.1.In a different part of the forum they suggested I come here.Below are some replies I got.
''many pioneer receivers from 2009 and 2010 have a bug in the dd+ decoding that force a downmix from a source delivering dd+ to stereo (or, alternatively, not working at all)...

that sounds like what is happening to you...

a workaround (assuming the ps3 will support it from the netflix app)... have the ps3 decode the audio to pcm for the netflix app and send it that way... the ps3 should decode the dd+ properly, and at that point, the avr no longer cares about the codec, all it sees is pcm...''
''next, i'd ensure that there is no downmixing going on in the ps3...''
Quote:
ok-I see lots of people having problems!
Can you tell me how to check for downmixing on the PS3?
Thanks
y'know... i don't remember... it's been awhile since i've used my ps3... check in the dedicated ps3 thread in the blu-ray player section... those guys should be able to help you...
Thanks

Out of nowhere it's working-at least on "Black Death".Weird.
post #1413 of 1706 Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Out of nowhere it's working-at least on "Black Death".Weird.

Just looked at BSG-it's stereo!Arghh!
post #1414 of 1706 Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 AM

Liked: 10
This has happened to me in the past with different DVD players and A/V receivers and at the time I just bought another DVD player.
But now with a Blu Ray player (OPPO BDP-80) and a different A/V receiver (Sony STR-DH800) it has started again.
Everything works fine for several months than the audio of either a Blu Ray disc or via USB stick starts to randomly fade out and become extremely quite. The OPPO and Sony are hooked up via HDMI, I've also tried optical digital with the same result. The time before (different components it was composite and optical digital).
To me it seemed like a dirty laser or disc but now with USB, that rules those out. And the fact it's happened over time with different components, I can't believe I keep getting bad equipment.
OPPO tech support said turn off DSP, well as far as the Blu Ray player is concerned I'm pretty sure it's turned off. The A/V receiver seems to be pretty much automatic. They also suggested hooking it up with the analog connections, I haven't tried that yet.
It seems to me some sort of compatibility issue, but then again why does it work fine for awhile then all of a sudden start fading out.
I'm contemplating either buying a Sony brand Blu Ray player or just scrapping the whole component set up and go with a all-in-one set up.
Any ideas, help?
post #1415 of 1706 Old 07-04-2011, 03:37 PM

I have a problem with the player s480. Update to latest firmware. Connected with HDMI 1.4a cable to the SONY str-dn2010 AVR. When i play a movie like star trek with TrueHD and i want my avr to decode it, i get a Dolby Digital 3/2.1 on my AVR screen. Why?
Also when i play a DTSHD movie i get PCM (48) on my AVR.
The same movies with the same set up with the same cables when i switch to PS3 as a source everything is ok. The PS3 send trueHD and DTSHD to the AVR, (also write it to the screen) and everything is ok. Any solution or the S480 don't support pass-thought HDMI ????

p.s. The BD mixing option to the player is set to off and HDMI to auto.
post #1416 of 1706 Old 07-04-2011, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppetros View Post

The BD mixing option to the player is set to off and HDMI to auto.

Those are the only two settings needed to produce lossless bitstreams when connected via HDMI to a processor with lossless decoders. It makes no sense that TrueHD would output DD 5.1 and dts-MA would output PCM. So, I suggest doing a factory reset on the S480.
post #1417 of 1706 Old 07-05-2011, 09:21 AM

1. I already done a factory reset thought the menu. Is there another hardware method (some buuton cobination?) or not?
2. I want to re-flash the last firmware. Can i do it? and how?
3. I set the HDMI control to on to the receiver and magic. The audio is there and right on the screen. Any idea why is that?
post #1418 of 1706 Old 07-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

I am having an issue when watching blu ray movies. I have to turn the volume up on my avr to -10 db in order to hear voice clearly but when the background music, explosions, base etc kicks in it is way too loud and I have to cut the AVR to -20 db. I see the AVR is indicating DTS on newer blu rays and older blu rays as other formats like Dolby. Last night I watched "The usual suspects" and my spouse left the room with a headache. The sound was great but the differential between voice and the other effects were too great. I have multiEQ on my AVR and I can put it on day, night, midnight but that does not cure the problem.
Is there anything I can do?
post #1419 of 1706 Old 07-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

I am having an issue when watching blu ray movies. I have to turn the volume up on my avr to -10 db in order to hear voice clearly but when the background music, explosions, base etc kicks in it is way too loud and I have to cut the AVR to -20 db. I see the AVR is indicating DTS on newer blu rays and older blu rays as other formats like Dolby. Last night I watched "The usual suspects" and my spouse left the room with a headache. The sound was great but the differential between voice and the other effects were too great. I have multiEQ on my AVR and I can put it on day, night, midnight but that does not cure the problem.
Is there anything I can do?

Had a similar problem but not as severe. After balancing the speakers I boosted the center channel by 1 or 2 db and all is fine now. Don't know if this is the correct way to solve the problem, but it worked very well.
post #1420 of 1706 Old 07-17-2011, 04:37 PM

Which Blu-ray players will allow me to stream Dolby 5.1 from Netflix or Amazon? I am considering a Sony 580 or a Panasonic 210. I have an older Sony receiver that matches well with the 580 because they both support digital coax.
post #1421 of 1706 Old 07-20-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycloxer13 View Post

Which Blu-ray players will allow me to stream Dolby 5.1 from Netflix or Amazon? I am considering a Sony 580 or a Panasonic 210. I have an older Sony receiver that matches well with the 580 because they both support digital coax.

The PS3 and the newer Panasonics support Netflix 5.1. I don't think the Sony player does.
post #1422 of 1706 Old 07-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Yeah I just picked up a Sony S480 wicked cheap and it only seems to stream Dolby 2.0 via the digital out. (With Blu-ray it seems to support every audio format known to man.) Maybe it will do so via hdmi, but I have an older receiver that takes optical or coax digital. That being said, this is my only minor gripe with the unit. I run wired ethernet and this thing streams 1080p via Vudu like a champ - zero problems, so it is a keeper for this year.
post #1423 of 1706 Old 08-01-2011, 04:10 PM

I recently bought a new receiver (pioner elite vsx-50) and a new bluray (pioneer elite bdp-41FD) when I connect them via an HDMI cable I get in the receiver display that its playing back PCM, is the the best setting I can get it too? Or should it be set to something different? I'm on a 5.1 system.
post #1424 of 1706 Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not familiar with the specific settings of your player. But, you should be able to set it to bitstream, which tells the player to send the encoded track to the receiver for decoding. Bitstream is no better than PCM when sending multichannel audio over HDMI But, it's the way many people configure
their players.
post #1425 of 1706 Old 08-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Ok ive had the 2500 for a while now and when i play my blurays my denon 4810 says dts hd master audio. Well i bought the 1611 for the 3D and a faster loading time. Now no matter what, it says multi channel in. Why? WTF lol. Does any one have an answer to why this would do this? Oh and did i make a wrong move with taking the 2500 out of my system?

Thanks for any help.
post #1426 of 1706 Old 08-08-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

That sounds like you have the player set to output PCM instead of bitstream.
post #1427 of 1706 Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 PM

No I have it set to bitstream. I even switched it to pcm just to check and still the same.
post #1428 of 1706 Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 PM

Even my ps3 does it that way. its set to bitstream and the denon says multi channel in. Only with the 2500 does it right
post #1429 of 1706 Old 08-08-2011, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Sometimes the HDMI handshake with a TV will tell the player to decode and downmix to stereo. That can happen because TVs are two channel devices. Or, if a receiver lacks the needed decoder, it might instruct the player to decode and output multichannel PCM. But, you aren't getting stereo and your receiver has the needed lossless decoders. So, those explanations don't seem to be involved and I can't think of any other reasons beyond the output setup of the player. You might try doing a reset of the AVR.
post #1430 of 1706 Old 08-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Well tried everything but dropping it on the floor lol. Maybe I will call denon ans see what they have to say. Thanks for the help
post #1431 of 1706 Old 08-14-2011, 01:35 PM

Problem: No HD sound from 480 to the avr (sony) with HDMI cable....

The solution to my case is this:
Power up the Sony 480 with power button or with bravia sync. Power up the AVR and TV. If you don't have the auto in HDMI setting in the AVR, then press options in the tv and the go to the last line and change the audio from the TV to the AVR.
Play any HD rays and all are ok now....
post #1432 of 1706 Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've searched this forum but haven't found a straight forward answer to my question:
I will be connecting a Panasonic BDT210 Blu-ray player via the left/right analog audio connections to a Yamaha RX-797 two-channel stereo receiver . When I play a disc, is it still necessary for me to select a particular audio track (Dolby TrueHD, DTSHD MA, PCM, etc.) from the disc menu or does the player automatically output 2 channel PCM from the analog outputs regardless of the audio track selected?
Thanks for your help!
post #1433 of 1706 Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The player will always downmix for the analog stereo outputs without any user intervention. But, if the disc has an actual stereo track, you should select it since a genuine stereo mix will likely be better than a downmix.
post #1434 of 1706 Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 PM

bd570 via HDMI to Denon AVR 1610

my current settings for audio are both pass thru, sampling freq 192khz. everytime i watch a movie my Denon receiver recogizes the DTS HD coming from the player, everything is encoding properly but no audio whatsoever. If you pause the movie and then play, perfect audio, skip forward a chapter...no audio.....move back a chapter and then forward again...perfect audio. Its getting really annoying, my other Samsung bluray player that was hooked up to my Denon never had any problems at all....perfect DTS HD and DOLBY TRUE HD everytime. Any one have any ideas.

I know this isnt an issue with my receiver......hopefully worked perfect up until the switch to the bd570
post #1435 of 1706 Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything in this thread. I don't know a lot about these things so please bear with me.

I'm trying to work out how to get the best quality 2-channel output from my blu-ray player (a Panasonic BD60). I can either (1) take the stereo output directly to my external amp or (2) take the digital output into my external DAC and then into the amp. The quality of my external DAC is better than the quality of the DAC in the BD60, but I understand the BD60 has to process the audio to some extent before it goes out the optical output so I'm worried with (2) I would be processing twice over and just degrading the quality further. I'm also not sure whether the same 'type' of audio is passed out of the optical and analog outputs, eg whether the audio sent out of the optical output is inherently lossier than the audio sent out of the analog output.

I hope this makes at least some sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #1436 of 1706 Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it just a DAC or does it do any other processing? What kind I'd source material is involved?

If it's just a DAC, the player will do the same processing for the stereo analog and PCM outputs.
post #1437 of 1706 Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM

It's just a DAC -- I usually use headphones rather than speakers so I use an external DAC which I then feed into a headphone amp. I thought if I used the player's analog output then it would perform an internal digital-to-analog conversion so I would feed it directly into the amp, whereas if I used the digital output it might bypass the player's internal DAC and I could perform the digital-to-analog conversion externally. But I'm not sure that this is correct.

I'm just using the player to play blu-rays and occasionally DVDs.
post #1438 of 1706 Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerdk View Post

It's just a DAC -- I usually use headphones rather than speakers so I use an external DAC which I then feed into a headphone amp. I thought if I used the player's analog output then it would perform an internal digital-to-analog conversion so I would feed it directly into the amp, whereas if I used the digital output it might bypass the player's internal DAC and I could perform the digital-to-analog conversion externally. But I'm not sure that this is correct.

That is correct but you must set up the player to output only PCM as few external DACs will process DD or dts. In addition, you may need to limit the bitrate depending on the limits of your DAC.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1439 of 1706 Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Okay, thanks. So assuming the external DAC is better quality than the player's internal DAC, digital-->DAC-->amp should produce better quality sound than analog-->amp (using PCM)? The external DAC is a DacMagic if that's relevant -- not really high-end, but I assume better than what's in the BD60.
post #1440 of 1706 Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerdk View Post

Okay, thanks. So assuming the external DAC is better quality than the player's internal DAC, digital-->DAC-->amp should produce better quality sound than analog-->amp (using PCM)? The external DAC is a DacMagic if that's relevant -- not really high-end, but I assume better than what's in the BD60.

If you own the DAC, try it. Decide for yourself.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com