Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 58 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 1724 Old 12-19-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 152
HDMI is digital. You can't send analog audio over HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1724 Old 12-20-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
HDMI is digital. You can't send analog audio over HDMI.

That I know. So I updated my question so its better understood.
post #1713 of 1724 Old 12-20-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Analog input uses the Denon DACs, HDMI uses the Yamaha DACs.

As a general rule, digital transmission is preferable because it takes advantage of the processing tools in the pre pro, which are better than those in most players. With analog, all processing happens in the player.
post #1714 of 1724 Old 02-22-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Solutions For "2.0" Home Theater Setup With Blu-Ray Player?

Here's the situation: I bought my parents a great little Yamaha 6.1 surround sound setup several years ago (pre-HDMI ins & outs) and my dad refuses to connect anything but the Left and Right channels [some gripe about not wanting to put nails in walls]. The subwoofer and other 4 surround speakers [including the center channel] are just on top the TV stand for show, apparently. The problem is that when we watch movies from the $100 Samsung blu-ray player that I also gifted them, the dialogue is way too faint relative to the soundtrack, if I crank the receiver to compensate, the music makes our ears bleed. The blu-ray player is streaming audio from the classic orange digital coax cable on the back directly into the Yamaha and video is outputted to the HDtv via HDMI. I found a digital coax to analog stereo audio transcoder from monoprice -- will it help our problem?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
post #1715 of 1724 Old 02-22-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the sound system configured as 2.0 with the other speakers set to Off or None? When properly configured, multichannel tracks will be downmixed to stereo so that dialog, which is primarily in the center channel, well not be lost.

Last edited by BIslander; 02-22-2015 at 10:57 AM.
post #1716 of 1724 Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Is the sound system configured as 2.0 with the other speakers set to Off or None? When properly configured, multichannel tracks will be downmixed to stereo so that dialog, which is primarily in the center channel, well not be lost.
I'm pretty certain that all of the other surround channels are off because when I look at the orange LCD display on the Yamaha receiver, only the "L" and "R" lights are lit up. Like I say, it's a strange phenomena when watching movies, the actors almost sound like they're whispering!
post #1717 of 1724 Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
4 or 8 DACs Downmixed to 2Ch Analog Output on Today's High-End BD Players?

Considering that Blu-ray movies, DVD-AUDIO, and SACDs are for the most part recorded as multi-channel sources, why are manufacturers such as Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, and Yamaha putting so much into 2ch analog output by downmixing audio coming from 4 stereo DACs or 8 monaural DACs on their more expensive players? To me, this doesn't make sense. Wouldn't it make more sense to either (1) use a stereo DAC and let the processor downmix everything from the disc to the 2ch output, (2) use a single multi-channel DAC and have everything downmixed to the 2Ch output, or (3) considering all the work involved with 4 stereo DACs or 8 monaural DACs, use corresponding respective multi-channel analog output? I just hate wasting resources, especially if today's midpriced to high-end audio/video receivers are now using superior DACs starting with the Sabre ESS9006 Premier series DAC.

Last edited by Big C; 02-25-2015 at 10:33 AM.
post #1718 of 1724 Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
This may have been addressed in the previous 58 pages, but I couldn't find it.

My audio is through an LG soundbar with 2 optical inputs.

I have the TV (LG 55UB8200), a PS4, and a Panasonic BDT3600 Blu-ray player

Would it be best to connect the PS4 and BD player directly to the soundbar with an optical cable or to connect the tv to the soundbar with an optical cable?

What are the pros and cons either way?
post #1719 of 1724 Old 03-10-2015, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted this in the sony bdps570 thread too, but I'll post it here too.
So the last 2 movies I have tried playing that use dolby atmos audio. When the player is set to AUTO for hdmi audio, the audio goes in and out. If I set it to pcm, it works fine on both, however, maybe this is a placebo effect, but I think the lower, bassy sounds are more prevelent when it's set to auto. the bass isn't as bassy in pcm. Maybe it's just me, but yeah. Any ideas? I am going to an onkyo 705 (yes I know it's old)

Last edited by captclueless; 03-10-2015 at 11:29 AM.
post #1720 of 1724 Old 05-11-2015, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
When connecting analog stereo or fronts L&R (from 5.1 or 7.1) outputs from Blu ray player (Cambridge or Oppo), do I get DTS HD and Dolby True HD, and are they high quality sound ?
(I have dedicate analog stereo preamp, no digital inputs)

Remind you, DVD players (like Arcam 137) will not process Dolby digital 5.1 correctly through analog stereo outputs, some low frequencies are missing.

Also, are all blu ray movies come with DTS HD and Dolby True HD ?

Anyone care to answer and thank you.

Last edited by Knight7m; 05-11-2015 at 01:01 PM.
post #1721 of 1724 Old 05-11-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Blu-rays almost always have a high resolution track, usually DTS-HD Master Audio, sometimes TrueHD, and very occasionally PCM. The player will decode that track, not a lesser version, although some players will use a lossy track if you tell it to include secondary audio.

Downmixing is a bit of a mystery, however. LFE may not always be included, for example. It varies from player to player and DTS, Dolby, and PCM sources may not be handled identically.
post #1722 of 1724 Old Today, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Which BDP should I get?

So here's the deal. I've been using an old tube TV for years that recently died. I have a HUGE collection of dvds, but they aren't BD, because I figured, if I can't enjoy the content on an HDTV why bother? Since my TV died and I'm getting a new one I think I should upgrade my player. I need a player that will also play all my old dvds because there is just no way I'm going to replace them all. It would be way too expensive. I don't care about a bunch of apps because I use a Roku box to stream everything.

What are some good options? I'd like something that's fast, and that isn't finicky (my old player sometimes won't play discs where there is nothing wrong, it says "can't read disc" but the other, older player will play them), and if at all possible something that will go straight to the menu as opposed to playing preview content that I have to skip through. (That last part isn't necessary but it would be nice. I'm not even sure if they make one that'll do that.) I also don't want to spend a fortune.

Suggestions? Thanks bunches!
post #1723 of 1724 Old Today, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Skipping previews is controlled by the studios. Disney is the only studio I know of that allows you to hit menu to skip the previews. Sony and Panasonic are the best for all around players. I use both along with an Oppo and a Denon.

S~
jazzycat likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1724 of 1724 Old Today, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What do you think about the Panasonic DMP-BDT360? I can get an open box one at BB for $85. List price is $140. It has apps and 3D and stuff (which I don't really need) but I don't think I'll find one without them. (Do they even exist?) And I suppose it might be good to have them as a backup in case something ever happens to the roku. Reviews were pretty good, but I did notice a few people here don't like Panasonic. I think that can be said about any brand though. There will always be some people who don't like every brand. Is this a good player for my needs?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P1600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page