Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1741 of 1762 Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Settings look good. See if you have to pick the Atmos track on the BD itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1762 Old 03-09-2016, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Settings look good. See if you have to pick the Atmos track on the BD itself.

I'm told that my fatty PS3 doesn't have the ability to bitstream HD audio. Ended up ordering a stand-alone blu ray player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Panasonic TC-P65S60 / Denon AVR-X6200W / Samsung BD-J7500 / Sony PlayStation3 (fat) / Def Tech BP9060ST / Def Tech CS8060HD / Def Tech SR8080BP / Onkyo SKH-410 / BIC Acoustech H-100
post #1743 of 1762 Old 04-09-2016, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Using the PS3 watching blue ray. If the blue ray disc is 7.1 dta hd. And I have an older reciver that only uses optical out. I can not get a Dolby digital 5.1? Is there anyway around this without having to buy a newer reciver. For my ears Dolby digital 5.1 is all I need
post #1744 of 1762 Old 05-23-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question or not, if not point me in the right direction, I didn't see a thread for 4k Blu-ray specifically. I had a question about 4k bluray audio and Dolby atmos. I'm thinking of upgrading my system. I was wondering how bluray dolby atmos works. I've read a couple articles that state there are no new audio capabilites for the new uhd bluray spec but they didn t go any more in depth that that. Isn't that what dolby atmos is- upgraded audio capabilite on the new blurays and combined with an atmos avr? If there are no new capabilites what's the point. I've read what atmos is but I don't understand if there are new audio capabilities than how do the uhd blurays incorporate that. If anyone knows of any good articles that discuss this please let me know I couldn't find much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #1745 of 1762 Old 07-11-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Sony & Panny owners; Atmos audio signal??

I tried customer service with both companies & they're clueless regarding Dolby Atmos.

Which current Siny or Panny non-UHD bluray players can correctly send the Atmos audio signal to my Yamaha A2050 with no audio drop-outs???

my current 210P series Panasonic player the audio goes in & out when in bitstream mode. PCM works fine, but of course doesn't carry the ATMOS signal

thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1746 of 1762 Old 07-11-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
I have no problems with Atmos audio when using a Sony BDP-S6500. It's in the process of being replaced by the BDP-S6700, so you should be able to get it for a good price, well under $100.

I really think there's no excuse for any current-model BDP to have audio dropouts when bitstreaming a movie that makes extensive use of Seamless Branching.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1747 of 1762 Old 07-11-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Sony & Panny owners; Atmos audio signal??

Ok Selden; I'll look for best price on the S6500 & thx for reply. Not much action in these bluray player threads like in TVs, Audio receivers & speakers..

And what can the newer S6700 do that the former cannot?
post #1748 of 1762 Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Ok Selden; I'll look for best price on the S6500 & thx for reply. Not much action in these bluray player threads like in TVs, Audio receivers & speakers..

Costco has the BDP BX650 for 99.00. It passes ATMOS audio mixes thru to the AVR without concerns.

The BX650 is the same as the 6500. Just includes an HDMI cable.

I believe you don't need a membership to purchase this item. Just add to cart and checkout. Some items are that way.

http://www.costco.com/Sony-BDP-BX650-4K-Upscaling-Streaming-Blu-ray-Player.product.100232668.html
yanks1 likes this.

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 07-11-2016 at 12:17 PM.
post #1749 of 1762 Old 07-12-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post

The only significant difference that I see in the 6700's manual is the addition of support for Bluetooth.

Selden

post #1750 of 1762 Old 07-16-2016, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddell View Post
I hope Closed Captioning is considered under "audio setup". I have the OPPO BDP-93 with the latest firmware and a , with a Denon 4311-CI.

No problelms with 5.1 audio from the Oppo through the Denon either for Blu-Ray disks or Netflix. Closed Captioning and Subtitles work fine with disks, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn on Closed Captioning in Netflix. Show is Wentworth, and through the smaller LG tv, which has it's own Netflix interface, I can turn on Closed Captioning easilyl - so I know the show has them. Can't find a place to see "Audio Options" in the Oppo Netflix interface, though. The Subtitles, Audio, and SAP buttons don't do anything when I'm watching Netflix. They work find for disks.
Others must have run across this, but a search of the Oppo BDP-93 thread didn't find it.

Thanks, /David
You should post your question in the Oppo 93 thread.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Samsung UBD-K8500 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1751 of 1762 Old 07-16-2016, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
You should post your question in the Oppo 93 thread.
Okay. Will delete this after posting there. Thanks.

David
post #1752 of 1762 Old 08-16-2016, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bluray stereo downmix questions

Do all Bluray players downmix all channels from Dolby and DTS HD audio to their stereo analog RCA outputs automatically? (Opposed to just playing the discrete Left and Right channels from multichannel tracks?)
What about a stereo PCM downmix output over HDMI?

Will a TV output the exact downmix it receives over HDMI from it's optical or analog audio outputs or could it introduce it's own processing that could break a true multichannel stereo downmix it received from a Blu ray player?

If I understand correctly the LFE channel is usually discarded unlike when a receiver does the decoding and downmixing.

Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks!
post #1753 of 1762 Old 08-17-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pablo View Post
Do all Bluray players downmix all channels from Dolby and DTS HD audio to their stereo analog RCA outputs automatically? (Opposed to just playing the discrete Left and Right channels from multichannel tracks?)
What about a stereo PCM downmix output over HDMI?

Will a TV output the exact downmix it receives over HDMI from it's optical or analog audio outputs or could it introduce it's own processing that could break a true multichannel stereo downmix it received from a Blu ray player?

If I understand correctly the LFE channel is usually discarded unlike when a receiver does the decoding and downmixing.

Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks!
All my players have had a setting to turn downmix on or off.

Different TVs handle pass-thru different ways. Some pass thru only certain formats and downmix others. They do not apply other processing to their outputs (treble, bass, dynamic range, etc.) in my experience.

I don't know what happens with the LFE channel.

Generally, the fewer devices the signal passes through, the better. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
post #1754 of 1762 Old 08-17-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
All my players have had a setting to turn downmix on or off.

Different TVs handle pass-thru different ways. Some pass thru only certain formats and downmix others. They do not apply other processing to their outputs (treble, bass, dynamic range, etc.) in my experience.

I don't know what happens with the LFE channel.

Generally, the fewer devices the signal passes through, the better. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
What is a reason someone would prefer not to downmix? I'm looking at a stereo set up with a Bluray attached directly to a TV via HDMI with audio out from TV to a receiver without HDMI.

Seperate audio from Bluray not run to receiver for sake of simplicity so audio from all sources connected to the TV can connect to one input on the receiver.

This I wonder about the stereo downmix output from a Bluray player over HDMI to TV then audio out from TV. All TVs can handle stereo PCM so if a Bluray can downmix over HDMI then I'll be good if it passes through the TV audio outputs unaltered.

My question in regards to LFE with downmix surround option to be used with Pro Logic on a 5.1 system is just a curiosity.
post #1755 of 1762 Old 08-17-2016, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What is a reason someone would prefer not to downmix? I'm looking at a stereo set up with a Bluray attached directly to a TV via HDMI with audio out from TV to a receiver without HDMI.

Seperate audio from Bluray not run to receiver for sake of simplicity so audio from all sources connected to the TV can connect to one input on the receiver.

This I wonder about the stereo downmix output from a Bluray player over HDMI to TV then audio out from TV. All TVs can handle stereo PCM so if a Bluray can downmix over HDMI then I'll be good if it passes through the TV audio outputs unaltered.

My question in regards to LFE with downmix surround option to be used with Pro Logic on a 5.1 system is just a curiosity.
Since you actually want stereo, you'll be fine with that setup. I imagine most people with a 5.1 or greater system would NOT want to downmix, hence the reason the setting exists. When I was in a similar situation, I ran all audio sources directly to my receiver, not through my TV. That way I could bitstream each and get full 5.1 without resorting to Pro Logic. My TV wasn't connected to my receiver at all. I used a universal remote to simply operation.
post #1756 of 1762 Old 08-17-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Since you actually want stereo, you'll be fine with that setup. I imagine most people with a 5.1 or greater system would NOT want to downmix, hence the reason the setting exists. When I was in a similar situation, I ran all audio sources directly to my receiver, not through my TV. That way I could bitstream each and get full 5.1 without resorting to Pro Logic. My TV wasn't connected to my receiver at all. I used a universal remote to simply operation.
Are the analog stereo outputs on a Bluray always downmixed despite of downmix settings or can they also just output the discrete left and right channels? This is what I was referring to when I asked why anyone might not want downmix but didn't make that clear. I'm probably not going that route and with the one I described but still wondering. Thanks the info!

Last edited by el pablo; 08-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.
post #1757 of 1762 Old 08-17-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Are the analog stereo outputs on a Bluray always downmixed despite of downmix settings or can they also just output the discrete left and right channels? This is what I was referring to when I asked why anyone might not want downmix but didn't make that clear. I'm probably not going that route and with the one I described but still wondering. Thanks the info!
I don't know for sure, but the implication in my player's manual is that the downmix setting applies to all outputs.
post #1758 of 1762 Old 08-17-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know for sure, but the implication in my player's manual is that the downmix setting applies to all outputs.
So if you don't enable down mixing then the analog audio outputs on a Bluray are only sending the discrete left and right channels from multi channel tracks? If true then I wonder why one would prefer this versus the full down mix? Thanks again!
post #1759 of 1762 Old 08-18-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So if you don't enable down mixing then the analog audio outputs on a Bluray are only sending the discrete left and right channels from multi channel tracks? If true then I wonder why one would prefer this versus the full down mix? Thanks again!
Like I said, I don't know for sure. I've never used the analog outputs on my player, and even if I did, I couldn't tell the difference between left/right only or downmix by listening. Most players these days don't have any analog outputs.
post #1760 of 1762 Old 08-18-2016, 05:20 PM

Thanks for your responses. These questions are also directed to any forum members that have further knowledge.
post #1761 of 1762 Old 08-18-2016, 05:33 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Are there any limitations as to the type of BluRay player needed (Age / Buffer capability / Software) to output Dolby Atmos to a Receiver such as the Onkyo TX-NR1030?

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
post #1762 of 1762 Old 08-19-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Are there any limitations as to the type of BluRay player needed (Age / Buffer capability / Software) to output Dolby Atmos to a Receiver such as the Onkyo TX-NR1030?
Any current Blu-ray player model should pass Atmos with no problems, so long as you remember to turn off "secondary audio mix" in the player.

However, some older Blu-ray players don't support "Seamless Branching" very well, which results in brief, random audio dropouts. Some studios use that feature heavily on their Atmos titles. Unfortunately, brief dropouts will also be experienced if you have older HDMI cables which can't pass 4K signals very well.

Selden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page