Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1771 of 1780 Old 08-19-2017, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post
This touches briefly on video.

I have a Marantz SR7010 rec'r. I am getting the Sony 800 player which has HDMI Audio and Video out, and a Sony 900 Display. Is all I have to do is connect the 800 HDMI audio out (PCM) to an HDMI input on the Marantz; and the 800 HDMI video out to an HDMI input on the 900 display?. Apologies if this has been asked and answered.
You don't need to use both HDMI outs in your setup. Your receiver supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. You also should set the player to bitstream, especially if you have an Atmos setup.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1780 Old 08-19-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
You don't need to use both HDMI outs in your setup. Your receiver supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. You also should set the player to bitstream, especially if you have an Atmos setup.

S~
If I don't use the Audio HDMI from the 800 out into the rec'r for audio, what connection on the 800 do I make for audio? Is here a problem going Audio out HDMI on the 800 into the rec'r input? Obviously Im wrong, but it struck me that 800 audio out into the recr, and the 800 video out into the display would be easiest. Sorry
post #1773 of 1780 Old 08-19-2017, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post
If I don't use the Audio HDMI from the 800 out into the rec'r for audio, what connection on the 800 do I make for audio? Is here a problem going Audio out HDMI on the 800 into the rec'r input? Obviously Im wrong, but it struck me that 800 audio out into the recr, and the 800 video out into the display would be easiest. Sorry
The easiest way is to run a single HDMI from HDMI to your receiver and then out to your display. Running 2 HDMI could lead to lip sync issues. When you say Sony 900, I am assuming you are referring to the 900a? I run pretty much the same setup in my bedroom except with the Panasonic and Denon receiver. Works like a charm.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.

post #1774 of 1780 Old 10-06-2017, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This may be a simple answer and I'm issing it because I have those days when I'm an idiot, but here goes....

The basic setup: TCL 49" 4K Roku TV, Sony X800 UHD player (currently plugged into the TV, combined audio/video setting), Sony STRDG-820 (also plugged into the TV) from which, currently, there depends a Roku 4, an Amazon Fire Stick, a WD TV Live, and an LG multi-region blu-ray player. A couple of those may be shoved into a switch, because...

...I'd like the audio-only HDMI output on the x800 to go through the receiver. I currently have the X800 sending audio via optical, which is far from ideal for a variety of things I'd like to play (such as DVD-Audio and SACD.)

However, I've done the jiggery-pokery to send audio separately, and plugged the second audio output into the receiver...and there is nothing. Zip, zilch, buggerall. Nothing seems to work. I'm pretty sure I'm using the latest cable standard. There's just no handshake at all, it seems.

I'm quite prepared to be told I missed something realllly simple here. RTFM is no help, as TFM is lengthy but unhelpful.

Any suggestions, pointers, or arcane acts of audio magic would be appreciated. I *do* plan to replace this receiver, but not for some time yet if it can be helped.
post #1775 of 1780 Old 10-06-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldemusick View Post
I currently have the X800 sending audio via optical
I should have posted after I slept. Audio from the X800 is currently coaxial, not optiocal. The optical connection is from the TV as the STRDG-820 doesn't do ARC.
post #1776 of 1780 Old 10-08-2017, 04:40 AM

Problem solved in the X800 topic.
post #1777 of 1780 Old 10-13-2017, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Audio problem

I just replaced older DVD player with new Blu-ray. Movie plays & sounds great for about 20-30 minutes then sound degrades to difficult to understand conversations. The poor sound comes out of the Yamaha sound bar and my Sennheiser headset. Turn those off & sound ok on the TV speakers. After lots of troubleshooting, trip to Best Buy Geek squad & changing HDMI Lines & switching HDMI ports, same problem. DVD plays great for about 25 minutes then sound goes bad. Purely by accident , I turned off the DVD player for a minute or so & when I turned it back on, sound back to normal. Repeated this 3 more times with same result. Sound reverts back to normal after player switched off & then on. Any ideas on this? BTW, same disc played just fine on the older DVD player and an entirely different movie had the same problems on the new player. My equipment listed below:

TV-SHARP AQUOS LC-37D44U (HDTV, DOLBY DIGITAL, HDMI) 2008 MODEL
DIGITAL SOUND PROJECTOR -YAMAHA YSP-3000 2008 MODEL
DVD PLAYER-LIFE’S GOOD MODEL BP350 STREAMING BLU-RAY DISC/ 2017
HEADSET-SENNHEISER HDR-120
CD PLAYER-TEAC PD-D860 (MULTI DISC PLAYER)

Last edited by AlaskaTim; 10-13-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: forgot to list equipment
post #1778 of 1780 Old 10-17-2017, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
I have a question specifically around the UHD Blu-ray spec.

Is Dolby a requirement on UHD 4k Blu-ray Discs the way it was on DVD or is it like 1080p Blu-ray where the majority of discs are DTS only?

The reason I ask is DTS is terrible and I hate it. For those of us that live in apartments Dolby is vastly superior in that Dolby can easily scale from high dynamic range to a more compressed range at the press of a button. To compress DTS you need a third party solution like Audyssey dynamic EQ + dynamic volume and based on my experience those solutions are fairly terrible. I am not interested in the increased resolution of UHD disc nor do I care about HDR as none of my displays are capable. I SIMPLY want a format that relies on Dolby for audio playback. I can’t stand playing the volume button game with DTS where I’m constantly turning up the volume to barely hear dialogue and then scrambling to turn it down when the action starts. I’m also sick of wrestling with Audyssey dynamic EQ and dynamic volume which just ruins the sound of anything passed through it’s various filters. I’d even be happy with PLII.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #1779 of 1780 Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

This should be asked in the software section.

post #1780 of 1780 Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
This should be asked in the software section.

Thanks, I saw this thread and thought maybe someone here had some experience or maybe had a clever workaround I hadn’t thought of yet.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Samsung , Samsung Bd P1600 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page