post #91 of 1293 Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I'm sure most of you are aware of it already but just in case, to get BD-Live to work you have to have an SD card inserted. The player doesn't have any onboard memory.

Hmm...I had the game on WAR working without any SD card inserted. I created an online account for the game and played a game.

I know what you say is absolutely true for some online features, such as downloading trailers. But it isn't true it is needed fro ALL BD Live features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1293 Old 07-11-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

I have POTC 1.

1. 48 seconds total, 37 seconds until the twirling coin.
2. 15 seconds from the last preview until the pirate head offers your choice.
3. 18 seconds from power up to tray ejection.

Thanks for doing that!! Now I can compare to my other Blu-ray and HDDVD players. It sounds like the BD50 is one of the fastest stand-alone BR players.

My dedicated home theater with an ancient Egyptian theme:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 1293 Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sly View Post

Thanks for doing that!! Now I can compare to my other Blu-ray and HDDVD players. It sounds like the BD50 is one of the fastest stand-alone BR players.

It is the fastest stand-alone at this point although it is still a turtle compared to a PS3!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #94 of 1293 Old 07-11-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone try playing the Golden Compass or The Orphanage yet? Hint: you may want to lower the master volume much lower than usual if using the analog 5.1 outs.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #95 of 1293 Old 07-12-2008, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I currently have a BD10 and would consider the 50 if there is a considerable upgrade on DTS Master tracks such as Golden Compass, Hairspray, Transporters, etc.
I have a Denon AVR 4306 which does not internally decode DTS Master but does accept PCM via HDMI and apply DPLIIx if needed to matrix back surrounds from a 5.1 mix.
[b]Has anyone noticed a substantial improvement from core DTS Master to lossles via HDMI? [/B
post #96 of 1293 Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinn View Post

I currently have a BD10 and would consider the 50 if there is a considerable upgrade on DTS Master tracks such as Golden Compass, Hairspray, Transporters, etc.
I have a Denon AVR 4306 which does not internally decode DTS Master but does accept PCM via HDMI and apply DPLIIx if needed to matrix back surrounds from a 5.1 mix.
[b]Has anyone noticed a substantial improvement from core DTS Master to lossles via HDMI? [/B

It really depends on the movie. In my opinion the MA track from BD Master and Commander is not much of an upgrade over the DTS track on the SD DVD (which was awesome to begin with). Having said that, I'd say most movies do benefit from the lossless tracks as it can offer more of the subtle sounds that bring you closer to "being there."

Does your 4306 accept 7.1 PCM through HDMI? You wouldn't have to downmix tracks from Golden Compass and Hairspray as they are 7.1 DTS-HD MA to begin with. The only downmixing from a 7.1 track would be through the 5.1 analog outs.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #97 of 1293 Old 07-12-2008, 10:07 AM

Liked: 12
I just set up my new BD50, and I am very impressed with both the video and audio. The audio from the Panasonic has more detail and depth than my PS3.

The biggest thing that I was wanting from this purchase was the bitstream capabilities and to have a stand alone player.

Anyone who is looking for a great player that offers the new codecs and BD-Live should definitely look into the BD-50.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to post pics or whatever you may need to assist your buying decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultra-Wide Home Cinema
post #98 of 1293 Old 07-12-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelliht View Post

I just set up my new BD50, and I am very impressed with both the video and audio. The audio from the Panasonic has more detail and depth than my PS3.

The biggest thing that I was wanting from this purchase was the bitstream capabilities and to have a stand alone player.

Anyone who is looking for a great player that offers the new codecs and BD-Live should definitely look into the BD-50.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to post pics or whatever you may need to assist your buying decision.

I'm curious. If all you needed was bitstreaming, when didn't you get the less expensive BD30? You would still have Profile 2.0 features covered because you own a PS3.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #99 of 1293 Old 07-12-2008, 10:36 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

It really depends on the movie. In my opinion the MA track from BD Master and Commander is not much of an upgrade over the DTS track on the SD DVD (which was awesome to begin with). Having said that, I'd say most movies do benefit from the lossless tracks as it can offer more of the subtle sounds that bring you closer to "being there."

Does your 4306 accept 7.1 PCM through HDMI? You wouldn't have to downmix tracks from Golden Compass and Hairspray as they are 7.1 DTS-HD MA to begin with. The only downmixing from a 7.1 track would be through the 5.1 analog outs.

Thanks for your feedback!
I believe the 4306 does accept 6.1 & 7.1 PCM. When decoding a 6.1 or 7.1 hi-rez soundtrack via the player the 4306 displays 6.1 or 7.1 and disables the PLIIx processing.
post #100 of 1293 Old 07-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
[quote=Mcguinn;14273355]I currently have a BD10 and would consider the 50 if there is a considerable upgrade on DTS Master tracks...
I[b]Has anyone noticed a substantial improvement from core DTS Master to lossles via HDMI? [b] /QUOTE]

+1

Don't see how it could get much better than Master and Commander, etc.

<><

RTR
post #101 of 1293 Old 07-12-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

It is the fastest stand-alone at this point although it is still a turtle compared to a PS3!

I know you are slanted toward the PS3, but the BD50 is in no way a "turtle" compared to the PS3. In fact it is just right behind the PS3 for load times.

As reported here and on the Blu-ray Load Times thread:

From power ON to drawer open:

PS3...... 8-15 seconds
BD50...... 18 seconds
BD30...... 20 seconds
BD10A...... 16 seconds
Sony S300...... 55 seconds

And when looking at load times for movies the BD50 is not too far behind the PS3. So I wouldn't say turtle. Maybe more like a deer and an antelope.

post #102 of 1293 Old 07-12-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe more like a deer and an antelope.

Ineresting choice or words.
Perhaps this is where "the deer and the antelope play."

to each his own...
post #103 of 1293 Old 07-12-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know you are slanted toward the PS3, but the BD50 is in no way a "turtle" compared to the PS3. In fact it is just right behind the PS3 for load times.

As reported here and on the Blu-ray Load Times thread:

From power ON to drawer open:

PS3...... 8-15 seconds
BD50...... 18 seconds
BD30...... 20 seconds
BD10A...... 16 seconds
Sony S300...... 55 seconds

And when looking at load times for movies the BD50 is not too far behind the PS3. So I wouldn't say turtle. Maybe more like a deer and an antelope.

Tim,

With JAVA heavy discs like Cars and Ratatouille, the PS3 blows everything else away. It is much quicker than the G1 players overall, which is a good thing.

David Vaughn

post #104 of 1293 Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:

I'm curious. If all you needed was bitstreaming, when didn't you get the less expensive BD30? You would still have Profile 2.0 features covered because you own a PS3.

That's not really all I needed. I am using a MX-980, and only want one remote.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the PS3 and feel that for the price it is one amazing machine. I am sure that many people would like to have a stand alone Blu-ray player.

Also I have a Denon 4308CI and I have been waiting to see the new codecs displayed on the front of my receiver.

Plus, I was able to get a very good deal on the BD-50 and it made more sense to get that over the BD30 for the price.

Ultra-Wide Home Cinema
post #105 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Plus, I was able to get a very good deal on the BD-50 and it made more sense to get that over the BD30 for the price.

Thus far, the BD-Live features aren't worth a $5 price premium, let alone a $200 one!

David Vaughn

post #106 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Good point, Dave. Even Warner stated they will not have any 2.0 discs this year.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #107 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The PS3 loads discs in under 15 seconds in most cases...some come on just about instantly. Also, once the disc is loaded, there isn't a pause when selecting features.

I just viewed "21" and in playing the blackjack game on the disc with the BD30, I thought the player had locked up because it took so long to get into the game. I popped it in my PS3 and it switched instantly.

Player responsiveness if more important than load times IMO.

David Vaughn

post #108 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 12:50 PM

I do agree with Dave on that one. Hitting a button and waiting 20 secs for a response kinda sucks. The PS3 is very quick and responsive. But I have to say that for me, the BD-50 is the best (Stand alone) Blu-ray player out right now. That's why i bought it. Denon has a very solid player and the new Pioneers look promising in some aspects. I guess we will have to wait and see what the BDPS-550 has to offer as well.

Dave, were you able to get as much time with this player as you wanted? How many Blu-rays were you able to watch on it? Also, what kind of speakers were you using for the sound? Because as soon as I put in Kingdom of Heaven I noticed a improvement over my PS3.

I don't like how long it takes for the BD-50 to power up, but I also hate how loud my PS3 is. I love watching a movie and not having to worry about fan noise. I guess my RS2 is a little noisy, but having the PS3 on made the (noise) experience worse.

If I want fast load times I will use my PS3, but for now the PS3 is just going to be used for media distribution and games.

Are many people still waiting for their BD-50 pre-orders?

Ultra-Wide Home Cinema
post #109 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 03:11 PM

I am trying to adjust the 5.1 speaker output on the BD-50. I can adjust for the size of the speakers and it reads that I am adjusting the volume (it ranges from 0 to -6.0 db) but the actual volume isn't changing at all. Anybody running into that problem?
post #110 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelliht View Post

I do agree with Dave on that one. Hitting a button and waiting 20 secs for a response kinda sucks. The PS3 is very quick and responsive. But I have to say that for me, the BD-50 is the best (Stand alone) Blu-ray player out right now. That's why i bought it. Denon has a very solid player and the new Pioneers look promising in some aspects. I guess we will have to wait and see what the BDPS-550 has to offer as well.

Dave, were you able to get as much time with this player as you wanted? How many Blu-rays were you able to watch on it? Also, what kind of speakers were you using for the sound? Because as soon as I put in Kingdom of Heaven I noticed a improvement over my PS3.

I don't like how long it takes for the BD-50 to power up, but I also hate how loud my PS3 is. I love watching a movie and not having to worry about fan noise. I guess my RS2 is a little noisy, but having the PS3 on made the (noise) experience worse.

If I want fast load times I will use my PS3, but for now the PS3 is just going to be used for media distribution and games.

Are many people still waiting for their BD-50 pre-orders?

I was able to watch 6 or 7 movies from end-to-end and many more for select scenes. I only had the player two weeks, which is enough time to do a review, but I think it takes a bit longer to find out some quirks in the players.

I use M&K speakers, which are VERY accurate and revealing. I agree with you on the fan noise with the PS3...it is way too loud and is much louder than my RS1, which sits a few feet above my listening position.

Also, I can tell a difference between the PS3 and the stand alone players. I did a test with my neighbor, who isn't an A/V enthusiast and he picked bitstream in 7 out of 8 tests that I ran with him as my guinea pig. Someone with more forgiving speakers may not come up with the same results, but in my particular case, there is a difference.

David Vaughn

post #111 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Circuit City looks to be dropping the price to $599.99...Sony may have scared Panasonic!
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PANDMPBD50K

Looks like I will be buying one from Best Buy if they have the same price as CC (with a 12% off coupon)

Hi,

Thanks for the information, but you provided the wrong link.

Here's the link to the Circuit City promotion:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panas...oductDetail.do

Larry

post #112 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 06:11 PM

I don't think it plays sacd. It's reading the cd layer.
post #113 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
No stand alone Blu-ray player plays SACD. Period. Especially not Panasonic who supported DVD-A (which only plays on the BD10 player). If you want to play SACD and Blu-ray on the same machine you have to get a PS3. Its the only thing that plays both formats.
post #114 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalsteve View Post

Thanks - I suspected that might be the case as the manual makes no mention of SACD playback at all. Not a big deal, but I thought HDMI 1.3 was able to bitstream this codec - just seems the manufacturers other than Sony of course will ignore it.

Any players in the works to bitstream SACD?

Steve

Steve, get a 150$ Oppo 980h

-Gary
post #115 of 1293 Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, Can we here some more owner reviews about your new hot player!

post #116 of 1293 Old 07-14-2008, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Thus far, the BD-Live features aren't worth a $5 price premium, let alone a $200 one!

I agree, but the main gain of this player for some will be the internal decoding of DTS-HD MA.
post #117 of 1293 Old 07-14-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

About the only downside to it is the embarrasingly cheap remote more suitable for a $20 Coby DVD player and it's pedestrian DVD upscaling.

Is your opinion of DVD performance based on actual movie watching or HQV DVD benchmark?

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #118 of 1293 Old 07-14-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I agree, but the main gain of this player for some will be the internal decoding of DTS-HD MA.

The gain may be tempered if you physically have a 7.1 speaker setup and must use analog outs. There are some DTS-HD MA 7.1 and PCM 7.1 tracks out there. Not much...but they're out there and probably increasing as time goes by.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #119 of 1293 Old 07-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Yup, it bitstreams both to my Onkyo 805 receiver and the display says DTS-HD Master audio and Dolby True HD.

Can the DB30 do the same thing?
post #120 of 1293 Old 07-14-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

The gain may be tempered if you physically have a 7.1 speaker setup and must use analog outs. There are some DTS-HD MA 7.1 and PCM 7.1 tracks out there. Not much...but they're out there and probably increasing as time goes by.

Interesting topic this one.

If the BD50 has the same DACs as the BD30, namely a monolith PCM1680, then it is an 8 channel DAC! So the only additional cost would have been the associated phono sockets and PCB tracks! So that one is a bit of a puzzle.

However, there are very few receivers with 7.1 analogue inputs. The vast majority of "legacy" receivers/processors only have 5.1 inputs.

Also, despite some discs having 7.1 material, the original master/recording did not have this. Some of them had a matrixed extra channel such as Dolby Surround EX. Some 7.1 mixes were added by the BD teams for the studio. Now in fact, a lot of processors, can actually derive the equivalent of the 7.1 audio using PLIIX capabilities, Logic 7 and similar technologies especially where the original had a matrixed extra channel anyway.

I don't have the luxury of being able to compare a discrete 7.1 mix vs a Logic 7 derived mix....but I bet they are very close/or nearly indistinguishable anyway.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd50k 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page