Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2014, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

I think if you look at region free dvd players out there you may find one that meets your needs, and it won't cost very much. (I'm not really clear on what your needs are, but ebay and some online websites do sell them, so you should be able to find something.) A good number, probably most/all, of them will have analog outputs (there's no HD audio copy protection to deal with for dvds), probably many of them will have hdmi, but there likely won't be any with dual hdmi (that's more of a blu-ray player thing), and anyway for dvd digital audio all you need is coax or optical (or analog).

As far as blu-ray players, Oppos come with 2 year warranty and Oppo has a good reputation for product support (at least in the U.S.), so extended warranty is probably a waste of money with them, as they are pretty solid machines. Other blu-ray players, it would depend on whether or how easy it would be to mod them (or find them already modified) to also play your foreign dvds, which was your original question, and their quality can very a lot.

Of course things are probably not quite so easy in Canada. Anyway good luck in your search.

The need really is to make the Panasonic blu-ray player recognize disc that are (I think?) multi-region, not region-free. And as always, cost has to be considered. Otherwise I could just spend thousands and rip out the entire installation, change all the wiring and amplifiers, etc. I'm looking for effective and efficient. So far the best I can think of is a workaround involving dubbing and reauthoring any discs that don't work.

Downgrading to a DVD player isn't really a solution, as the whole purpose of the superior amplifier and the various audio output methods is to preserve sound quality.

I guess with Oppo I find that paying 15-25x times the going price for a player isn't realistic for me, and even if it were, they should at least include a lifetime warranty, or something commensurate with their retail price multiple. Charging $100 for an extra year of warranty? I can't support that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neild View Post

The need really is to make the Panasonic blu-ray player recognize disc that are (I think?) multi-region, not region-free. And as always, cost has to be considered. Otherwise I could just spend thousands and rip out the entire installation, change all the wiring and amplifiers, etc. I'm looking for effective and efficient. So far the best I can think of is a workaround involving dubbing and reauthoring any discs that don't work.

Downgrading to a DVD player isn't really a solution, as the whole purpose of the superior amplifier and the various audio output methods is to preserve sound quality.

I guess with Oppo I find that paying 15-25x times the going price for a player isn't realistic for me, and even if it were, they should at least include a lifetime warranty, or something commensurate with their retail price multiple. Charging $100 for an extra year of warranty? I can't support that.

Seems like some exaggeration going on but whatever. Your cheapest bet would probably be to rip the disc and reformat it somehow on your pc. There's likely no hardware solution that would meet your criteria of zero cost.

Anyway I'm signing off this thread, didn't realize I was still on it until your original post. Recycled my BD50 a few weeks ago.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oppo audiophile BDP is $1299 here, plus $99 for extended warranty.

Multiples I based on comparison to Philips 3D blu-ray players which are typically $49 (so approx 26x) or something more robust for $79 (would be 16x)

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd50k 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player