The Official Panasonic DMP-BD50 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1293 Old 07-06-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Panasonic's DMP-BD50 Blu-ray is here!

This player has been released and is being bought in the US, Canada and Europe. We need to start a new official thread for owners. The other discussion thread was more like an anticipation thread and full of all kinds of off-topic content. Owners please post your comments and lets start talking about this exciting new player that is in some of your homes!

The first stand-alone Blu-ray player released with BD-Live Profile 2.0!
It also decodes and bitstreams all HD audio formats: Dolby® Digtal Plus, Dolby® TrueHD, DTS™-High Resolution Audio, DTS™-HD Master Audio

This player follows the successful DMP-BD30 which could bitstream the HD audio formats but couldn't decode them. There are many happy owners of the BD30 and the BD50 is an improvement over that. Panasonic has a good reputation for quality. The BD50 has improved boot-up and load times which were good already on the BD30. This is one of the first stand-alone players that does it all!
Two of our forum sponsors (Visual Apex and Value Electronics) have this player listed for $599 for pre-order with a release date of July 31, 2008. A few places around the USA, Canada and Europe have a few in stock. It is here finally!

Features:

"UniPhier® Platform combines Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory (PHL) Reference Chroma Processor with P4HD imaging technology to reproduce crisp, natural colors that are extremely faithful to the original movie.

-Precise Pixel Generation
-16-Level Motion Detection with Pixel-Based Motion Adaptive
-Diagonal Processing
-Detection of 3:2/2:2 Pull-Down Progressive Processing
-1080p Up-Conversion (HDMI Connection Required)
-HDMI v1.3 with Deep Color™ - 12-bit, 4096 Gradation Steps
-1080/24p Playback

-HD Audio Decoding - Dolby® Digtal Plus, Dolby® TrueHD, DTS™-HD 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Formats
-High Quality BD-ROM Sound Reproduction - High-Speed 50 Mbps Optical Output Elements and a 192 --kHz 24-bit DAC
-Audio Re-Master for All Media

-Linking With an HD Camcorder - AVCHD-Format Playback
-Compatible With x.v.Color
-Linking With a Digital Camera - JPEG Playback on SD Memory Card
-VIERA Link - Control Blu-Ray Disc™ Player with TV Remote Control (Requires Panasonic VIERA flat panel television)"

My dedicated home theater with an ancient Egyptian theme: http://myweb.arvig.net/sly/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1293 Old 07-06-2008, 04:52 PM

Not happy with my Panasonic DMP-Bd50k player. I have to ship the unit back to the Panasonic Tech Center. The head may be out of alignment. I see that the cost is at $800. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.
post #3 of 1293 Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Here's what Lakeshorer wrote in the original Pan. 50 thread that may help explain what has happened:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorer View Post

Bought the unit on from 6th Ave.Electonics on 6/27/08.

Received our Panasonic DMP-BD50K 7/3/08. Followed installation instructions per manual. When to Walmart and bought two Blu-ray movies.
Loaded the first Blu-ray movie, Error message on screen " this operation is currently disabled". Loaded the second movie, the same message. Checked the disc for problems, they seem OK. Loaded DVD movies and got the same message. Reveiwed the setup menus instructions again. Checked out the Trouble Shooting section of the manual. The manual mention the error, but has no
corrective action to take. Checked the Firmware, menu shows 1.1 firmware.

Called Panasonic customer support number,got to talk to a computer. The computer made no mention to this player, but it could help me with a DMP-BD30k. Called again and the computer told me that the support center was closed for the evening.

When online to the Panasonic website. No mention of the DMP-BD50k player,except about the release of this unit in Europe. I checked the back of the unit to make sure I had a US unit. It was marked 1 and A, which is the correct code. Checked the Firmware download page for updates for this unit, nothing shown. Found a page for E-mails to customer supprort, so I explained the problem I had. I don't expect a reply til 7/7/08.

Surprisingly my wife called the customer support center by phone July 4 morning and she was talking to a real person. The support center is located in Virginia. The gentleman spent over 1 and 1/2 hours with us trying to help.
First he was sursprised we had the unit. He stated that these units are not dated for release til the end of July 2008(RETAIL). We then started going through all the steps. Cables installations, setup menus, Blu-ray disc and Dvd disc. Checking the back of the unit for correct area codes and model serial number.
Everthing was correct, but still the same error message every time we loaded a disc. The agent could not call the Panasonic Technical Center, cause they were closed for the holiday. His opinion was the reading head inside the unit was out of aligment, due possilbly to shipping handling,even though the shipping box showed no damage. He suggested that we ship only the unit to Panasonic Technical Center in Illinois, so that their engineers could review the unit and make repairs. We were to include a letter discussing the problem and list the movie disks we tried in the unit. The agent was notifying the Tech Center of our problem on Monday. He could not send us a shipping return label til 7/7/08. Shipping would be at Panasonic expense.
I asked if there were any firmware updates. He stated that 1.1 was the latest version.
No one as of this date has reported any problems with this unit.

7/5/08 My wife called 6th Ave. They said to repack the unit and all the items and use the return shipping label to return to their Springfield, N.J. Center. They have some in inventory, but don't know when they will ship us a replacement. ^th Ave. only has 4 units in stock.

I think I'm going to ship the unit to Panasonic.
I'll post again when the unit returns to our home.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #4 of 1293 Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorer View Post

I'll wait and see what the Panasonic Tech Center turnaround time is for repairing their product. The clock starts on Monday 7/7/08. Waiting for a shipping ticket from Panasonic, so I can ship the unit to Illinios.

Turnaround time for repairing the BD30 was one week door to door, not bad.

to each his own...
post #5 of 1293 Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Slogun,
Thanks for the infor. That doesn't seem too bad.
post #6 of 1293 Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 PM

Reposting this from the other BD50 thread. My BD50 is on movie #3 and still working flawlessly:

I picked up my BD50 from an A/V retailer in Bellevue, WA yesterday. I had great results with Ratatouille so I decided to return the PS3 that I recently bought as a BluRay player, but wasn't totally happy with.

My surround processor is an EAD Theatermaster Ovation Plus, which is a wonderful-sounding and utterly finicky piece of audiophile gear. Since it doesn't support HDMI audio decoding and lacks an analog passthrough, I'm limited to DD or DTS soundtracks. Someday I'll upgrade, but that will require finding something that sounds as awesome and doesn't cost a fortune. Suggestions are welcome.

In my system the PS3 had three drawbacks:

1) On the Ratatouille BR disc (my only test disc), an extremely loud burst of digital noise was emitted between each preview and when transitioning from the main menu to the movie. It was so loud that I muted the surround processor to avoid damaging my speakers (or my ears). This happened every time I played the disc. I can't blame the PS3 entirely because I'm sure the finicky EAD was partially at fault, but the BD50 didn't have this problem.

2) No support for my Harmony remote (I needed the IR2BT solution for the PS3). The BD50 solved this nicely, of course.

3) Audible fan noise. This was less of a win for the BD50 because it's very slightly audible at times when it spins the disc, but it's still quieter than the PS3 fan (which was pretty quiet).

So far the only con I've seen with the BD50 relative to the PS3 is slightly slower access times, such as when starting the movie from the menu. Also, the UI isn't as slick as the PS3, the setup options are inscrutable, and the owners manual is unhelpful. I really wish CE companies did a better job with their owners manuals.

Other than those minor quibbles, I'm very happy with the BD50 -- it looks like my search for a BluRay player is finally over!
post #7 of 1293 Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 AM

After one week with my Panasonic DMP BD-50 EG-K Blu-Ray Player I can say that I am absolutely pleased with my purchase. This player really rocks. I see until now about 9 movies. No glitches, no pop-ups not any other anomaly.
I use a 15m Tara Labs cable (1,3) to connect the player with a Dila RS2 projector and I use the 5.1 analog outputs for taking the new sound formats in my pre-amp.
The picture in Blu-Ray disks is outstanding. Very smooth in fast movements of the camera, with great saturation and sharpness, some minor artifacts in sharp diagonal lines and very good 3D looking.
Sony Playstation 3 is loosing almost in every area (except loading times and disk navigation), special in picture motion. I guess that Panasonic is locking better with RS2.
The sound is also spectacular. Crystal clear in voices and soundtracks, with amazing dynamics and very good channel separation. I cant compare with playstation because my pre cant take the bit stream from HDMI.
I read Dave's review and I will disagree about simple DVD production. Its much better than my Denon 3910. I didn't notice any big problem during movie playback. Maybe the PAL machines are different, I cant say for sure. I think that 90% off the people here will be satisfied. The other 10% can go with the Oppo 983.
LL
post #8 of 1293 Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 AM

Kostas999 - What volume adjustments did you make on the analogs out. Were any special settings needed to get good subwoofer volume.
post #9 of 1293 Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does the BD50 still have the red light on the display that says its doing 24FPS?
post #10 of 1293 Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My BD50 from 6Ave just arrived.

All the materials in the BD50 box are in French so the mystery of how 6ave got the players early is solved, they imported from Europe.

Of course I may have problems now with region coding.

Still setting up and testing, I'll let you know what I think of it.

"We did not have business relations with that company, Fuh Yuan."
post #11 of 1293 Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

My BD50 from 6Ave just arrived.

All the materials in the BD50 box are in French so the mystery of how 6ave got the players early is solved, they imported from Europe.

Of course I may have problems now with region coding.

Still setting up and testing, I'll let you know what I think of it.

Or they got it from Canada, since French is spoken in Quebec. If so, you do not need to be concerned about region coding since all of the Americas are in Region 1.
post #12 of 1293 Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMSM View Post

Or they got it from Canada, since French is spoken in Quebec. If so, you do not need to be concerned about region coding since all of the Americas are in Region 1.

Yup, it played back my "Batman" DVD which is Region code 1.

My player must be Quebecian, there were absolutely no English materials included with the player although it has a 120v North American plug.

post #13 of 1293 Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
How's the boot time and how long does it take from the time you put in a movie compared to PS3?
post #14 of 1293 Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 PM

The menu of the sound is quite limited. You can choose big or small loudspeakers, negative volumes for all (8) of them (if you need more volume in surrounds you have to put the frond channels with -1 or more) and basic delays.
However, everything works fine with my Anthem Preamp, the subs have also the same volume.
In 24f I cant see any red led. However, the info menu in projector shows little more down of 24 frames, 23.97 if I remember good.
post #15 of 1293 Old 07-08-2008, 01:41 AM

Would one of you that purchased the unit at Magnolia out West be kind enough to look at your receipt and tell us the product # (sku#) for the new panny?....Much appreciated!
post #16 of 1293 Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone care to put this player through both the HQV DVD and BD benchmarks? I kinda have an idea based on CNET's and Dave's reviews but it'd be nice to have the numbers.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #17 of 1293 Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouca View Post

If your kids are gamers and it's for the kids' house, it seems like a no-brainer to go with the PS3.

The PS3 sounds like a hairdryer compared to the BD50.

There is a fan in the back of the BD50 but thanks to it's 45nm Uniphier chipset it runs at a very low setting and the BD50 is as quiet as a grave.

I had to actually reach behind the unit and feel the airflow to be sure the fan was on.

The BD50 is also quite fast, not as fast as the PS3 but Pirates of the Caribbean Curse of the Black Pearl loads in a few seconds after you click through all the previews.

post #18 of 1293 Old 07-08-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Does the firmware update feature "do anything" for anyone else?

My ethernet connection is working fine, and passes the test in the menus. I then go to check for firmware updates, it asks a kind of "are you sure" question, and after saying yes it just goes back to the Blu-ray logo screen. It doesn't say "You already have the latest firmware"...it doesn't say anything at all...zip...zilch...nada.

The firmware on my BD50 is 1.1, and yet 1.2 does exist now (at least for Europe).
post #19 of 1293 Old 07-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louiceman View Post

I got it from RC Willy made in china region DVD-All and BD-A is great unit sound better than DB30 I play "I am Legend"(Dolby TureHD) sound is clear tie bass more detail quality of picture is crystal.
I want to try on "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" to hear first sceen of explosion on the ship.

Can you be more specific as to how the sound is "better" than the BD-30. Are you using analogs or optical or hdmi? I just got my BD-30 and if the 50 is that much better my salesman told me to upgrade to the 50 before my 30 days is up. Thanks
post #20 of 1293 Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 PM

Just curious if anyone who bought or will buy a BD 50 is upgrading from a BD 10? If so any notes on the differences (audio/video/SD up-conversion, etc.) would be greatly appreciated!
post #21 of 1293 Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 AM

Anyone: How does the upconversion compare to the Toshiba HD-XA2, or any other player with the Reon/Realta chipset?
post #22 of 1293 Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLAW View Post

Just curious if anyone who bought or will buy a BD 50 is upgrading from a BD 10? If so any notes on the differences (audio/video/SD up-conversion, etc.) would be greatly appreciated!

I just set up a new BD50 in the main HT last night. It replaced a BD10K which will go into the bedroom setup. So far I'm impressed with it. It does eveything at least as well as the BD10K except it also does DTS HDMA over analog which I got to hear for the first time. SD upconversion is good... I never had a problem with the PQ on the BD10K either unlike some people. Bluray PQ in the BD50 is excellent.
post #23 of 1293 Old 07-09-2008, 07:08 AM

quad user - what volume adjustments did you make on the analogs out, was subwoofer level as strong as other channels. Thanks.
post #24 of 1293 Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mullin View Post

Anyone: How does the upconversion compare to the Toshiba HD-XA2, or any other player with the Reon/Realta chipset?

Upconversion is about as good as on the A2, I'm using my XA2 for DVD upconversion.

It's not a bad upconverting player but if you want a good one, you might want to lurk on shoponkyo.com for an 805 refurb if they dump those again like they've done the past week or spring for an Oppo.

post #25 of 1293 Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I have a sample in for review and have been very impressed so far compared to the BDP10AK. Video performance is better with a clearer and more detailed image. Is it a dramatic difference? No but noticeable. Audio performance is excellent as well, especially the DTS HD MA decoding which sounds wonderful. A formal review is forthcoming next week.
post #26 of 1293 Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Wjmeyer... I'm using an Outlaw ICBM for bass management. No volume adjustments were necessary for me because I simply removed the BD10K and replaced it with the BD50. I have both analog and digital optical connected from the BD player to a Cambridge Audio Azur 640R receiver. Using the remote for the 640R I can select analog or digital by simply pressing a button, so I can compare digital DTS or DD to uncompressed analog DTS-HD MA or DD TrueHD on the fly. I have dialed in both digital and analog to be the same dB level.
post #27 of 1293 Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I have a sample in for review and have been very impressed so far compared to the BDP10AK. Video performance is better with a clearer and more detailed image. Is it a dramatic difference? No but noticeable. Audio performance is excellent as well, especially the DTS HD MA decoding which sounds wonderful. A formal review is forthcoming next week.

Where will you post the review?

Thanks

doc
post #28 of 1293 Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgreen561 View Post

Would one of you that purchased the unit at Magnolia out West be kind enough to look at your receipt and tell us the product # (sku#) for the new panny?....Much appreciated!

UPC=0 37988 25694 5

Mine was built April 2008. Shipped from Panny's CA warehouse to Magnolia AV in Seattle.

doc
post #29 of 1293 Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I want to echo another poster above that the analogue outputs seem to be very good on the BD50.

I have also compared DD/DTS via SPDIF vs 5.1 analogue outputs lossless. With A/B switching after normalising the volume levels, there is a significant and obvious difference.

I would love to know what DACs are being used. I also have a Sony S500 which has Burr Browns with similar performance to the S1. With that player the difference between analogue outputs and DD/DTS via SPDIF were not as significant. So now I am really curious what is in the Panasonic...but I am not brave enough to open mine up to find out.

The Lexicon MC-12 fortunately allows bass management, room EQ and time delays via its analogue inputs, albeit at the expense of an additional ADC process (near transparent though). But nevertheless I am comparing DD optimally connected via a digital link, vs lossless by a questionable link (the 5.1 analogues). The fact the difference is still so prevalent particularly in dynamics and fullness (e.g. opposite of thin sounding), is a testament to the quality of components used in the panasonic.

I must say, I am pleasantly surprised.

Jonathan
post #30 of 1293 Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Not meaning to offend and apologies to the moderators if I am speaking out of turn but there is another thread on the BD50 in this forum which covers "places to buy", availability etc.

This is the owners thread where people who already have the BD50 can discuss technical aspects of the player.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd50k 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page